Review: Apple's all-new 12" MacBook with Retina display

Comments

• Reply 41 of 89
    I like AppleInsider but this review is just a rehash of other negative reviews with little useful positive information. Basically a warning: too useless for real users, too pricey for everyone else.

"keyboard purists who have grown accustomed to the chiclet style keys on Apple's notebooks" is a joke. "keyboard purists" aren't people who liked the previous keyboard and no one says they type slower on the new keyboard. No "keyboard purists" like any notebook keyboards. You just have to get used to it like any other next-gen notebook you get.

Your idea of "pro" is weird. If you need more power, or legacy ports, or magsafe because you are accident prone and leave your computer plugged in precariously, that doesn't make you a "pro." You just have different needs. I can think of a lot of people who really need legacy ports, magsafe, along with a CD drive. I wouldn't call them "pro."

Why is it a "tough sell" and "too underpowered for serious users"? I see no reason why a mobile developer can't benefit from this. How do you know how a "pro" might benefit from this machine when you aren't even testing the best BTO configuration?

"expensive for what it offers" compared to what? There are very few notebooks that use this exact cpu and none comparable for screen, keyboard, trackpad, and everything else. Another poor "con" found like other reviews.

I'm anxious to see a real world review with the top model before shunning it for "pro" users.
  • Reply 42 of 89
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    waltg wrote: »
    This new MacBook just appears to be a pink elephant! Tooooo pricey for what it offers, a MacBook Pro for about the same price should do it in right there. While I traveled for years and carried a laptop I still wanted and needed full functionality and would never consider something like this. Yes it would have been nice to have a little bit smaller and lighter unit and yet rid of that huge power brick, I think the thin and light thing has gone overboard here unless your a lady and want to carry it in your purse..I really don't see that much value over my ipad2, which I use everyday.. I keep wondering how long this fad path of thin and light will last and to what effect to apple.. While I think their products are the best, this to me is a dog and the competition is still out there to take advantage...

It's not a fad. It's here to stay.
  • Reply 43 of 89
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    It's the cheapest retina Mac, and the compromises are ones that won't matter in real-world use for most people (and note that most people wont frequent tech forums either). It also has an amazing trackpad.

I'd say it is the BEST choice for most people. 60%?

If the price of retina is too high, or your "portable" computing involves lots of cords hanging off, then an Air is a fine choice too.

And if you need Pro performance, you know where to find that... But I'm a pro using a Mac slower than this new MacBook and doing just fine.
  • Reply 44 of 89
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

The more I look at MS Surface...

Not to threadjack or anything, but I'm seeing these (Pro) make some modest inroads in my workplace.  Not huge, but the most interesting thing is that upper management are the only ones gravitating to them.

It wasn't that long ago that these same types were buying MBPs... but then developers started asking for them, either company-purchased or BYOD.  As Apples began to "trickle down" to the Common Folk, it almost seems like the upper crust needed some way to set themselves apart again.

• Reply 45 of 89
    I just ordered one. I've probably read every review and watched every video available. I've literally agonized over this purchase (talk about first world problems!). For me, the MacBook will be an iPad killer. For the last several years I've been using iPads for almost all of my lightweight computing. The problem is that my iPad Air, even though it is a great device, just wasn't quite enough. I started to consider upgrading to the 11" Air.

Then this came out and I was torn. Gorgeous hardware. High price tag. Retina screen. Only one port. It seemed like even the reviewers couldn't agree. Some said the performance hit was minimal, others said it was a deal breaker. Some love the keyboard, some hate it. The price was probably my biggest stumbling block, everyone was saying that it was too much of a premium. But the review on Anandtech put everything into perspective... An equivalent 11" MacBook Air, with 8 GB and 256 GB SSD, costs $1,199. This is $100 more, really not that much of a premium. For much nicer hardware and a beautiful display. I'm in!
  • Reply 46 of 89
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    sirozah:

" If Apple is not working on such a hybrid device, they are going to lose this market. "

LOL. I'm sure Apply will take your completely uninformed opinion on the matter to heart. Apple is not selling fewer and fewer iPads. Good lord.
  • Reply 47 of 89
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

sirozah:

" If Apple is not working on such a hybrid device, they are going to lose this market. "

LOL. I'm sure Apply will take your completely uninformed opinion on the matter to heart. Apple is not selling fewer and fewer iPads. Good lord.

Actually, last years iPad sales were down to 60 million units..... but I agree with your sentiment generally speaking since IMHO the drop in sales has to do with there not being as much reason to upgrade iPads as often as an iPhone..... (cost vs benefit of a newer model) which leads to a longer replacement cycle.   The iPhones are giving people more reason to upgrade since it is the middle of your daily lives - and each new functionality adds value and draws people to replace quicker.  

I find the 2 in 1 hybrids to be a clunky use case.....  If I want a tablet I don't want to have to grab it disconnect the keyboard and shove it back in the case.  If I want to use it as a laptop I want something with a solid hinge and solid keyboard (not something that feels like a cardboard add-on).   Being someone that works at a keyboard 8 to 12 hours a day, I find touch itself to be tiring and more of a gimmick that I don't need on a laptop.  (obviously I am not in the target market for a 2 in 1).  

One day the technology might be there to make it less clunky of a solution, but right now.... meh for the 2 in 1 design.

Obviously for Microsoft... coming to the market with an iPad or laptop after the market is saturated would not have given them an opening, so they had to manufacture something that was different.  If I were Microsoft I would say <blank> you hardware suppliers, we are going to make our own premium line of all of the devices that run Windows..... it is not like most hardware manufactures would have any other real options other than to accept it.

• Reply 48 of 89
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

It's the cheapest retina Mac, and the compromises are ones that won't matter in real-world use for most people (and note that most people wont frequent tech forums either). It also has an amazing trackpad.

I'd say it is the BEST choice for most people. 60%?

If the price of retina is too high, or your "portable" computing involves lots of cords hanging off, then an Air is a fine choice too.

And if you need Pro performance, you know where to find that... But I'm a pro using a Mac slower than this new MacBook and doing just fine.

Aside from the addition of a keyboard, if you're willing to make these compromises because you're not doing intensive work on the computer, then the iPad is just as good a choice.

For most people, the processor performance won't make a big difference because they're mainly just doing email, web surfing, Facebook, and either low resolution or highly compressed photos, etc.    But the lack of multiple ports is a big deal IMO and it definitely makes the machine a show-stopper for me personally (not that every machine Apple puts out has to meet my personal needs).    But I think they did blow it on the ports and there was no reason for it - it probably had far more to do with Apple's anal-retentive need to make the body aesthetically beautiful more than any technical or cost consideration.    But if you buy a splitter, you're ruining the original aesthetic anyway, just as Apple's obsession with thinness is ridiculous on the phones because you have to put them in a case anyway to protect them.   Until we get to the point where batteries last several days, multiple ports are a must have on all machines IMO.   

I know that many external devices are Bluetooth these days, but I really don't want to have to replace every single accessory device just because I've bought a new computer.  

• Reply 49 of 89
    Purchased a Space Grey base model. I'm a graphic & motion designer.

Despite all of the negative review regarding CPU speed, I've found the computer to be surprisingly powerful for its specifications and my expectations. Also, it is remarkably svelte in person... shockingly so. The photos did not do justice. The quality of the device is on what I refer to as "the next level."

I've opened previously-created Maya scene files and navigated through them with ease. Adobe CC performs beautifully.

The Air is more attractive performance-wise, but seeing as color is a huge part of what I do, the MacBook Air display just doesn't offer the range of color and contrast for professional-quality accuracy. People often act as if the Air is a lighter alternative to the Pro, but the display quality is just as important to designers. The 12" MacBook may be the answer for some...
  • Reply 50 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Aside from the addition of a keyboard, if you're willing to make these compromises because you're not doing intensive work on the computer, then the iPad is just as good a choice.

For most people, the processor performance won't make a big difference because they're mainly just doing email, web surfing, Facebook, and either low resolution or highly compressed photos, etc.    But the lack of multiple ports is a big deal IMO and it definitely makes the machine a show-stopper for me personally (not that every machine Apple puts out has to meet my personal needs).    But I think they did blow it on the ports and there was no reason for it - it probably had far more to do with Apple's anal-retentive need to make the body aesthetically beautiful more than any technical or cost consideration.    But if you buy a splitter, you're ruining the original aesthetic anyway, just as Apple's obsession with thinness is ridiculous on the phones because you have to put them in a case anyway to protect them.   Until we get to the point where batteries last several days, multiple ports are a must have on all machines IMO.   

I know that many external devices are Bluetooth these days, but I really don't want to have to replace every single accessory device just because I've bought a new computer.  

You're suggestion to "just use an iPad" for this specific use case because it's processor is just as good is demonstrating a lack of understanding on the 3 different basic use cases between three different classes of machines.   I can personally attest to the fact that trying to use an iPad as a Macbook because both have low powered processors is a poor choice.   Using touch to simulate a mouse (Microsoft Remote Desktop) is painful and inefficient.  Using touch to "cut and paste" is not very efficient due to the inaccuracies (and attempted compensation) of the touch interface -- and the fact that your finger is blocking out the selection box while you are trying to select.... and the fact that due to the inaccuracies the interface tends to make selecting text by word easier, but if you're not editing word type documents (i.e. technical stuff) it incredibly painful.  

I do most of my work at my desk -- so up until a couple months ago just having an iPad to check mail and do web searches - reading books - watching lectures while out of town for a day or two was all I needed.  A use case that the iPad does very well.   A few months ago my contracts changed my use case to more of a Macbook selection (and no I don't want to carry around anything all the time that is annoying - which is pretty much what all laptops are and why I chose to carry an iPad) where I may still do most of the work at my desk but I literally have to be on-call during normal business hours (or between) to correct issues as they are reported during different testing phases....  My first test of this was heading out of town down the coast during "down time" and having issues after a week of nothing being reported and I had to go in and make the fixes as on-call.  I gambled and took my iPad for those 3 days.  I can tell you that using Remote Desktop touch to Windows and simulating a mouse -- is really not a good idea.  I had to take french translations that came back and cut and paste them as needed - a total of maybe 12 translations.... Something that would have taken me maybe 45 minutes to do and fully test.... Took me 5 hours.  The iPad was not meant for it and it really was no comparison.   A Macbook on the other hand would have handled that with easy.  

There are really 3 markets here:  

- Consumption/relaxing while using menu oriented systems or very light typing - iPad works great .... I want something light, easy to carry around and as light as possible.  

- Portable You need to carry around a full computer to do light work including document editing while not at a desk (work or home) but you are not doing full blown video editing.  Coding, Remote Desktop, Word/Spreadsheet stuff, browsing the internet, watching videos, etc. All the things that a keyboard and "mouse" would make easier.... You are not going from point A to point B, like an office where you can dump your stuff and then not worry about carrying it around in between home and office.  This includes students that take their laptops to lectures etc.  

- Transportable You need a device that you use primarily at a desk and take from point A and point B but can dump the stuff inbetween, you need more power than most average users and you have devices that you connect up all the time at home and maybe at work.  

If I get a portable (because I don't use it at a specific desk as not) and want to plug lots of stuff in but I don't want a transportable then I can always get a dock (there are first versions out already - network plug, USB ports, video out, and SD slot) and have access to lots of USB ports and power.....   If I get a transportable like the macbook pro, I cannot get rid of the extra bulk and weight when I don't need it.  

You don't have to actually need a specific use case to know that different devices fill different needs.  I also find it funny that you would recommend an iPad for a Macbooks job because "it can" ignoring that the iPad is even less expandable than the Macbook.  I find that many reviewers are purposely reviewing a device for use cases that it might not fall into just so they can complain that it is not a good device.  A reviewer should step back and remember that their audience is wide and varied and they should put themselves into each of these shoes and review it from that point of view.  If you have to boil it down to a number give it a number based on the usefulness for it's intended purposes, and then tell the audience that for these tasks this works great.... but also indicate where the device is not appropriate.  It is a poor reviewer that reviews it from their point of view with blinders or bias of their use case and pretend it is a general review of the device. 

• Reply 51 of 89
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sirozha View Post

One of the real disadvantages is a single port on this new MacBook. Apple should have put in at least 2-3 USB-C connectors, especially because the single USB-C connector is used for charging the battery. Even tethering will be problematic without a USB-C splitter, which is a strange decision on Apple's part. I hope they will reverse this decision in the next generation and will add a few more USB-C ports.

I agree this is troublesome. I love the idea of a single port that allows one to plug into an Apple Display with a full port expansion going immediately from desktop to laptop and vice versa. It hasn't been this easy since my Duo 280c. But why not put in a second port? The idea that I can't plug in an external hard drive (especially considering the limited storage), and plug into power at the same time without a special dongle, or hub is ridiculous. Likewise for the external DVD drive, which is a huge power drain if watching a couple of movies. So, I will expect we'll see a second port by the first refresh (then again, Apple doesn't want you watching DVDs, or storing your files locally)

Honestly, this decision makes about as much sense as if they decided to drop the headphone port forcing users to buy Bluetooth headphones/speakers for use with it. Yet they kept that ... odd.

• Reply 52 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

I agree this is troublesome. I love the idea of a single port that allows one to plug into an Apple Display with a full port expansion going immediately from desktop to laptop and vice versa. It hasn't been this easy since my Duo 280c. But why not put in a second port? The idea that I can't plug in an external hard drive (especially considering the limited storage), and plug into power at the same time without a special dongle, or hub is ridiculous. Likewise for the external DVD drive, which is a huge power drain if watching a couple of movies. So, I will expect we'll see a second port by the first refresh (then again, Apple doesn't want you watching DVDs, or storing your files locally)

Honestly, this decision makes about as much sense as if they decided to drop the headphone port forcing users to buy Bluetooth headphones/speakers for use with it. Yet they kept that ... odd.

You are missing viewing the "full ecosystem" as the new USB-C design committee envisioned.... which is the monitor (in the future models) will be the hub.  You will plug the USB-C from the laptop into the monitor and you are done....  The monitor powers the laptop, the displayport sends video to the monitor, and monitor has a USB hub built in (like many today).  When you leave your desk, you disconnect the laptop and carry it with you leaving behind everything that is plugged into your monitor (which I assume 99%+ of the people won't carry with them).

• Reply 53 of 89
    Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

And there is your crux. Legacy ports are a stumbling block for some but do not define the system as a whole.

• Reply 54 of 89
    Quote:

One of the real disadvantages is a single port on this new MacBook. Apple should have put in at least 2-3 USB-C connectors, especially because the single USB-C connector is used for charging the battery. Even tethering will be problematic without a USB-C splitter, which is a strange decision on Apple's part. I hope they will reverse this decision in the next generation and will add a few more USB-C ports.

Wireless tethering. People are seriously missing the point about this new system.

If you are one of the very few who really really need wired tethering, need to play CDs/DVDs, or any other legacy port situation, then get an adapter or a different system.

• Reply 55 of 89
    They didn't even mention that the FaceTime Camera is only 480p, not even HD...... I was surprised there's no mention of this at all....... I don't understand why they didn't launch with an FaceTime HD Camera, fine of at least 720p...... it's nice to have the Retina Display, but one of the greatest things about the iPad is FaceTiming family and seeing them on the screen as if they were right in front of you........ I guess Apple didn't think the camera was all that important, just sayin'
  • Reply 56 of 89
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 864member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzyswan View Post

They didn't even mention that the FaceTime Camera is only 480p, not even HD...... I was surprised there's no mention of this at all....... I don't understand why they didn't launch with an FaceTime HD Camera, fine of at least 720p...... it's nice to have the Retina Display, but one of the greatest things about the iPad is FaceTiming family and seeing them on the screen as if they were right in front of you........ I guess Apple didn't think the camera was all that important, just sayin'

They probably just could not find a source of pin-hole cameras that would fit in the space at the top of the screen (another manufacturer -- maybe Dell -- moved it to the bottom corner of the screen) in the space available and could produce enough to meet demand and be 720p....  480p will work good for things like Skype, but if you are doing training videos for youtube .... you will want an external one.   It gives them room for improvement in the next version -- probably showing up with Skylake.....

• Reply 57 of 89
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    It's sad that our view of the Professional Mac-user is so limited. This appears to be a Prosumer device and if it runs general business/consumer software well then it's fit for purpose.

Perhaps it's an indicator that Apple have confidence in greater Mac Enterprise adoption.
  • Reply 58 of 89
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    denniszam wrote: »
    Wireless tethering. People are seriously missing the point about this new system.

If you are one of the very few who really really need wired tethering, need to play CDs/DVDs, or any other legacy port situation, then get an adapter or a different system.

Have you ever compared speed of wireless tethering vs wired tethering? I get 65 Mbps download speed tethering via a USB cable in certain places - using my iPhone 5S. There's no way to achieve this via Wi-Fi tethering even if you take all the interference out of the equation, which is a big IF. Tethering via Wi-Fi is slow and introduces unnecessary latency.

Additionally, when you tether over Wi-Fi, you drain your phone battery pretty quickly.
  • Reply 59 of 89
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    mac_128 wrote: »

I would rather they had dropped a headphone jack and put a second USB-C port. That way one could either use Bluetooth headphones or USB headphones. Much more versatility with two USB-C ports than with one USB-C port and one headphone jack.
  • Reply 60 of 89
    Quote:

Have you ever compared speed of wireless tethering vs wired tethering? I get 65 Mbps download speed tethering via a USB cable in certain places - using my iPhone 5S. There's no way to achieve this via Wi-Fi tethering even if you take all the interference out of the equation, which is a big IF. Tethering via Wi-Fi is slow and introduces unnecessary latency.

Additionally, when you tether over Wi-Fi, you drain your phone battery pretty quickly.

Yes, you are right about all of that, but for most tethering situations I've been around it is a stop-gap, quick fix, not a long-term source of internet. You can tether without even pulling your phone out. If you need to be tethered for long periods of time regularly then yeah you're going to need an adapter or a different MacBook. If this is your hang up (and I think this is a very small minority) then yep this may not be the one for you.