Review: Apple's all-new 12" MacBook with Retina display

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Finally, I got one, geesh, talk about waiting forever for something. This is one of the first times Switzerland didn't get something from Apple in under a month. So I was bad, first thing I installed was Chrome OS, for funnzies, I just really wanted to see how good of a ChromeBook it made, not bad, pretty great actually but I already bought a new Pixel II so I removed it. The HDMI/USB adaptor is a must have but it brought the price up closer to 1400, ouch for what is essentially just a toy for me. Oh well I've spent more on much less. I like everything about it except the lack of another USB-C port, don't care what others say, I still believe there was plently of room on the otherside for another. It's defiantly fast enough for surfing which is what it's main purpose will be for me. Battery isn't very good, I got about 3.5 hours after the first full charge, to be honest though I didn't reallt expect it to be any higher than that, this of course was brightness at full, something I just always prefer when not actually traveling, my eyes are already bad enough for me to strain unnecessarily. The sound is tinny and small but again I didn't think it was going to set any new sound records. Display is probably the best part about it, gorgeous, bright, with good colors. Keyboard, yeah, it's mostly okay, I type around 60 words a mimite and I found that I could do about half of that, so far, it will probably just take time for me to get used to it. Trackpad is cool. I would have liked to seen a touchscreen as I caught myself reaching for the screen more than a few times. If someone comes out with a touchscreen conversion kit like they did with the Air, I'm defiantly going to grab one, yes, I have no problem taking it apart. I'm already contemplating taking out my Drummel kit to make way for a new USB-C port, or maybe a Micro HDMI, mmmmwwwwhhhoooooooaaaaahhhhaaaahh...... All in all it's a keeper, a toy worth having for anyone who thinks that 1380 bucks is doable for such a device.
  • Reply 82 of 89
    mooredjmmooredjm Posts: 5member
    Disagree with the conclusions of the review, bought a 1.2 Ghz model to be utilised primarily as a work computer but am also a keen photographer, record guitar tracks with Logic and do a bit of video editing in Final Cut Pro. Previous computer was a 15" 2.8 Ghz 16 GB 1024 SSD rMPB but decided I would like to downsize due to weight of my travelling bag.

Utilise Illustrator, AutoCad LT, usual office apps at work managing drilling operations for an oil and gas company.

Whilst it is obviously slower than the 15" CTO rMBP it is still more than adequate for all of my office activities and hobbies at home. Was expecting a much bigger performance hit than I am seeing and have not once felt frustrated waiting for the computer to complete a task. The size, weight, design is a pleasure. Utilised QuckresX to boost the screen resolution to 1680 x 1050 which is my ideal screen real estate for work and home. So far not had an issue with the single port and that will become even less when Apple delivers an ordered multiport adaptor.

The asking price is very reasonable for a workhorse computer of this quality. Outside of video or graphics professionals working with massive file sizes I cn only recommend the computer. Often think that p[lacing an emphasis on processor benchmarks rather than real world activities is very misleading. Having read the reviews I bought it expecting to quickly to see a massive performance hit whereas the my experience is infinitely better. Its the 15" rMBP which is going to be handed down to one of the children not the Macbook.
  • Reply 83 of 89
    mooredjm wrote: »
    Disagree with the conclusions of the review, bought a 1.2 Ghz model to be utilised primarily as a work computer but am also a keen photographer, record guitar tracks with Logic and do a bit of video editing in Final Cut Pro. Previous computer was a 15" 2.8 Ghz 16 GB 1024 SSD rMPB but decided I would like to downsize due to weight of my travelling bag.

Utilise Illustrator, AutoCad LT, usual office apps at work managing drilling operations for an oil and gas company.

Whilst it is obviously slower than the 15" CTO rMBP it is still more than adequate for all of my office activities and hobbies at home. Was expecting a much bigger performance hit than I am seeing and have not once felt frustrated waiting for the computer to complete a task. The size, weight, design is a pleasure. Utilised QuckresX to boost the screen resolution to 1680 x 1050 which is my ideal screen real estate for work and home. So far not had an issue with the single port and that will become even less when Apple delivers an ordered multiport adaptor.

The asking price is very reasonable for a workhorse computer of this quality. Outside of video or graphics professionals working with massive file sizes I cn only recommend the computer. Often think that p[lacing an emphasis on processor benchmarks rather than real world activities is very misleading. Having read the reviews I bought it expecting to quickly to see a massive performance hit whereas the my experience is infinitely better. Its the 15" rMBP which is going to be handed down to one of the children not the Macbook.

I don't think I could use it as my main laptop, to many compromise's. As a leisure device though I love it, neat little guy. I would grab the new Lenovo Lavie if I needed a really light weight laptop for business and heavy traveling. It's lighter than the new MacBook, is only 1.8mm thicker which is nothing but you get 2 USB 3.0 ports, an HDMI port, SD Card reader, a much faster Intel i7, with the same memory, display resolution and SSD disc size. Since it's a Lenovo machine, OSX will run on it just fine as I have yet to own a Lenovo laptop that I couldn't install it on, running it now perfectly on my ThinkPad Yoga 12.5(Wacom Stylus and touchscreen both work as well, just love having a Wacom Stylus with OSX). Their is also a touchscreen model for the Lavie that has a 360 degree rotatable display like their Yoga series, it brings the weight up to the same as the MacBook though. Anyway, that's just must me, as I'm sure your very happy with your purchase as am I, just different uses.
  • Reply 84 of 89
    relic wrote: »
    I don't think I could use it as my main laptop, to many compromise's. As a leisure device though I love it, neat little guy. I would grab the new Lenovo Lavie if I needed a really light weight laptop for business and heavy traveling. It's lighter than the new MacBook, is only 1.8mm thicker which is nothing but you get 2 USB 3.0 ports, an HDMI port, SD Card reader, a much faster Intel i7, with the same memory, display resolution and SSD disc size. Since it's a Lenovo machine, OSX will run on it just fine as I have yet to own a Lenovo laptop that I couldn't install it on, running it now perfectly on my ThinkPad Yoga 12.5(Wacom Stylus and touchscreen both work as well, just love having a Wacom Stylus with OSX). Their is also a touchscreen model for the Lavie that has a 360 degree rotatable display like their Yoga series, it brings the weight up to the same as the MacBook though. Anyway, that's just must me, as I'm sure your very happy with your purchase as am I, just different uses.

Hmmm... Did not know you could do that with a Lenovo computer. But the MacBook Air is the perfect combo of power and portability for me. This laptop has singlehandedly and unashamedly placed me into Apple fanboy status. What an absolutely amazing machine for its size. This new MacBook has me tempted, but still... The Air is just so good!
  • Reply 85 of 89
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,115member
    "Given the lack of ports and connectivity options on the new MacBook, no serious professional or power user..."

Maybe just the opposite is true... Many serious professionals or power users may see the lack of ports as ultimate security.

All ports are hacked. No port is secure...

Search Google for "USB vulnerability", "Thunderbolt vulnerability", "FireWire vulnerability"... The news are not good...
  • Reply 86 of 89
    "Given the lack of ports and connectivity options on the new MacBook, no serious professional or power user..."

Maybe just the opposite is true... Many serious professionals or power users may see the lack of ports as ultimate security.

All ports are hacked. No port is secure...

Search Google for "USB vulnerability", "Thunderbolt vulnerability", "FireWire vulnerability"... The news are not good...

Well, It still has one, so all of that was moot.
  • Reply 87 of 89
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,115member
    relic wrote: »
    Well, It still has one, so all of that was moot.

That still one is not vulnerable. Apple has taken care of this.
  • Reply 88 of 89
    That still one is not vulnerable. Apple has taken care of this.

Even if you say is true all I have to do is put it into target mode and just copy over everything. I have yet seen a person with a MacBook set-up a root password preventing such activities. I'm sure there a few but the majority, no. Before you say that the new MacBook doesn't support this http://www.macworld.com/article/2911813/got-a-new-macbook-usb-target-disk-mode-works-with-the-right-cable-which-apple-doesnt-sell.html
  • Reply 89 of 89

I have owned the Macbook now for 2-3 weeks and I love it and it handles all of my CFO and Operations management duties without an issue.  I also do video editing which I will use my 2012 15" MBPr.  However, handling MS Office, Email, Evernote, and other software I have not had any issues with speed.  Works just as good as my MBPr does for my day to day task.   

Regarding battery life it seems to last longer than my MBPr and I have been able to use my computer without issue each evening.

I'm loving the USB-C one connection to unplug everything works out really well. 

Bottom line this is an awesome laptop.