Apple retail chief Ahrendts addresses Apple Watch, 12" MacBook availability issues in internal video

Comments

• Reply 21 of 150
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sflagel wrote: »
    For the compensation she received, this was botched. She is known for wanting to make online and offline seamless. But this launch did not work. Either you have a try on period offline and then you launch it online a few weeks later. Or you have a proper simultaneous launch where the watch is available online and offline at the same time.

Ordering online first and *afterwards* trying it on at a store (when it is essentially no longer available online) is the worse of both worlds. What were they thinking?

Were people required to order the watch before they could try it on? I wasn't aware that try-on appointments required you pre-ordering a watch first.
  • Reply 22 of 150
    sflagel wrote: »
    True. But then should the watch not be available in store at least on the 24th?

But if there's supply issues and they don't have watches available how do they have them in store?
  • Reply 23 of 150
    kpom wrote: »

Hindsight may not be 20/20 on whether the trial period should have been before the orders began. That happened in Australia and New Zealand and they had lines around the stores, which apparently isn't what they wanted, either. As for the MacBook, my guess is that this is a supply chain issue, which is not in Ahrendts' control, but instead is on the SVP-Operations. Quanta had some serious QC issues, it seems.

In any case, had they launched try-ons March 27th and the pre-orders April 10th, perhaps some people who changed their minds on which model to buy would be happier, but others would have complained about how they are available for try-on but you can't even place an order for 2 weeks (which of course would still have been followed by 4-6, or June or July ship dates).

Overall, Apple Retail had to deal with an issue in which they had massive supply chain issues (unlike anything they have seen before) on an already-delayed product, and the CEO had already publicly committed to a launch date.

Exactly. Does anyone think Tim Cook (or anyone on the executive team) is satisfied that some people won't get their watches until June? Of course not. But honestly had I ordered one it wouldn't bother me because I'll bet by the time these people get their watches there will have been several software updates and they probably won't have to deal with some of the v1 software issues.
  • Reply 24 of 150
    michael_c wrote: »

It's been in the Apple store that's closest to us since the 10th - at least, that's when I played with it.  Haven't been to any of the other nearby Apple stores recently to know, but would think they were there as well.

My Apple Store has them.
  • Reply 25 of 150
    stanhope wrote: »
    Angela Ahrendts is an Edsel......big fanfare, awful performance. I wonder how long the egos will have Apple hang on to this disaster. Steve Jobs would have yelled at her while security was packing up her office.

And we have the assholes coming out too. Pathetic.
  • Reply 26 of 150
    rogifan wrote: »
    Were people required to order the watch before they could try it on? I wasn't aware that try-on appointments required you pre-ordering a watch first.

No. It is not required.
  • Reply 27 of 150
    fordeefordee Posts: 31member
    I can't see a problem here. There is no reason why you can't try on a watch at a store and then order online. Oh, you may have to wait a few weeks. So what? Talk about instant gratification millennials...
  • Reply 28 of 150
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Um um um echo echo echo

Grow grow grow up up up.

• Reply 29 of 150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

She screwed up her first big shot- they should've had them on display for a week, let people figure out which ones they wanted first and then did an online-only preorder but made sure everyone in the stores knew about it.

She didn't screw up anything.

• Reply 30 of 150
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    stanhope wrote: »
    Angela Ahrendts is an Edsel......big fanfare, awful performance. I wonder how long the egos will have Apple hang on to this disaster. Steve Jobs would have yelled at her while security was packing up her office.

Don't pretend that you knew Jobs. She was a very successful CEO which is probably more than what I can say about you.

Still not sure how it's a disaster. It's not officially out of the preorder stage yet. Apple has and will alter course where it sees fit.

I rather this change be done now than during the middle of launch weekend.
  • Reply 31 of 150
    No. It is not required.

Ok so if someone needed to try on the watch before they ordered it then why didn't they do that? OK you might not have your watch on the 24th but is that really a big deal? Is it that important that everyone has their watch exactly on the 24th?
  • Reply 32 of 150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stanhope View Post

Grow up and learn some manners, boy.

• Reply 33 of 150
    jvolinojvolino Posts: 25member
    Hard to blame Ahrendts -- she's just trying to give the stores something to go on given what is really a serious supply deficiency. Also, they're figuring out how the hell they can possibly get all the different variations of the device to right places where it's being demanded. If you tie up the inventory in the backs of stores, you can't easily re-shuffle when there's very little slack in the supply.
  • Reply 34 of 150
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member

Forgive me, textbook launch. This will be a case study at Harvard for best in class new product launch. From now on, ordering something online will be called pre-order. Unless it is after a date where some of the pre-ordered products have been delivered. After that date, ordering online is called just ordering. Even if you actually have to wait longer for delivery than if you had pre-ordered. And launch date is not the date when you can buy something, or order something (as that is now called pre-ordering) but the date on which some pre-ordered products are delivered.

Best in class, now I know why I don't earn $75 bills.
  • Reply 35 of 150
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    They've been in store since the 11th...no?
  • Reply 36 of 150
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    You are surely not one to teach them punk
  • Reply 37 of 150
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Ok so if someone needed to try on the watch before they ordered it then why didn't they do that? OK you might not have your watch on the 24th but is that really a big deal? Is it that important that everyone has their watch exactly on the 24th?

Not at all. None of this is a big deal. But it's also not best in class. People are confused about the difference between pre-order, order, launch date, view date etc. It's just a bit muddled.
  • Reply 38 of 150
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »
    She screwed up her first big shot- they should've had them on display for a week, let people figure out which ones they wanted first and then did an online-only preorder but made sure everyone in the stores knew about it.

I agree, the try on should have been before the pre order. it doesn't really make any fucking sense the other way round.
  • Reply 39 of 150
    Um um um echo echo echo
    wtf is with that echo??
  • Reply 40 of 150
    crushed wrote: »
    I agree with one of the above comments, the watches AND the MacBook should have been on display before launch day. But what is really bad is that the MacBooks are still not available to even check out at stores! That looks like a screw up right there!

yes, except for the fact that you're completely wrong. I looked at them over a week ago.