Apple Watch gets teardown treatment, unannounced data port remains in production units

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73

No SCSI or ADB port? How can I sync it to my Quadra?

• Reply 42 of 73
    Throw in a CAD program and we just might have something....
    williamh wrote: »
    I have to have the full version of Microsoft office or this thing is completely useless.

Skylake. No point in buying unless Skylake.
  • Reply 43 of 73
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

I'm looking forward to what Android using watches will do next. They won't compete on sales, performance, features or apps.

So I'm guessing they'll do a 5" version.

• Reply 44 of 73
    roake wrote: »
    An Omega or Rolex isn't technologically outdated in a year. The iPhone doesn't cost $17000.

Neither is the horse drawn carriage technologically outdated after a year.
  • Reply 45 of 73
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,440moderator
    evilution wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to what Android using watches will do next. They won't compete on sales, performance, features or apps.
    So I'm guessing they'll do a 5" version.

They're going round instead, although Samsung's will likely be Tizen not Android:

http://www.samsungmobilepress.com/2015/04/24/Samsung-to-Release-SDK-for-Next-Generation-Gear

I like how they say 7th generation like that's an achievement, it only came out late 2013. I wonder if Samsung will go all-in round or stick with both shapes to see which consumers prefer.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I can't speak for others but for me they served a great purpose back in another era. When we did pull our Macs to pieces and change parts out. Today's Apple products by enlarge are different, just as looking under the hood of a modern car is compared to the old days when anyone could strip down an engine with a few tools. In those days cars were highly unreliable, today's are extremely reliable for the most part but not for the average Joe to tinker with. The same is true of Apple gear. 

The length of a warranty tells you something about how confident a company is in its worksmanship. Apple products along with most other consumer PCs still come standard with only one year of warranty. So it's not so clear that computers have in fact gotten significantly more reliable in the last ten years when no one seems willing to bet their money on it.

• Reply 47 of 73
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I like how they say 7th generation like that's an achievement, it only came out late 2013. I wonder if Samsung will go all-in round or stick with both shapes to see which consumers prefer.

From that link... "The new wearable device will be the 7th generation of Samsung Gear with a wrist watch type."

7th generation??  Anyone able to map the path of their Gear product?  Maybe they consider every shape and size a different generation.

• Reply 48 of 73
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    The length of a warranty tells you something about how confident a company is in its worksmanship. Apple products along with most other consumer PCs still come standard with only one year of warranty. So it's not so clear that computers have in fact gotten significantly more reliable in the last ten years when no one seems willing to bet their money on it.
    FYI In the EU it's 2 years as a minimum.
  • Reply 49 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member

I don't think your logic is sound there at all. I would submit there is no direct correlation between Apple warranty length and Apple product quality as you are assuming. It is far more logical to assume Apple simply want to sell extended warranties thus Apple keeps the free coverage as short as possible. I don't like that as a consumer obviously (I always buy the extended) but as a pretty large AAPL share holder I put up with it. One step back and far more forward I feel. I can't speak to other PC makers as I have no experience with them. My VMware is all the PC I need. :D
  • Reply 50 of 73

Haha, good one.
  • Reply 51 of 73
    applezilla wrote: »
    No SCSI or ADB port? How can I sync it to my Quadra?

Is that the 840 av? They have some excellent IO ports. Not sure about the other models. The syncing is OK System 9.04 has that covered you just need the adapter cable from ADB to Bluetooth. ... (Ok I am kidding :D)
  • Reply 52 of 73
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    icoco3 wrote: »
    From that link... "The new wearable device will be the 7th generation of Samsung Gear with a wrist watch type."
    <div id="user_link64_adl_tabid" style="display:none;">1920</div>

7th generation??  Anyone able to map the path of their Gear product?  Maybe they consider every shape and size a different generation.

So, seven generations of flops...
  • Reply 53 of 73
    I have photoshop running on the promotional version of the watch that Jony gave me a few weeks ago - I'm able to retouch photos while returning from an assignment and have them off to the client before I get back to the studio...
    :smokey:

But seriously, that data port might be used for any number of things - there's a great deal of interest and development going on in the medical community centered around using the Apple Watch as a remote monitoring device. But before it can be used for that purpose it'll need to run the FDA gamut and get certified.

I would think specialty bands with connections to the data port might be needed to interface with externally worn sensors.
  • Reply 54 of 73
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Just saw a guy on the news who was being paid $1,000 just to wait in line for someone to buy an Apple Watch (and this was at the Maxfield store in Los Angeles area, not even at the Apple Store)!
  • Reply 55 of 73
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,081member

Back on topic, iFixit actually gave Apple Watch a 5/10 repairability rating...

• Reply 56 of 73
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Except automobiles are superior to horse drawn carriages in every way. The same is not true of smartwatches vs dedicated watches. Smartwatches are computers first and watches second, and invariably compromise the latter function in order to support the first. Gruber regards timekeeping as perhaps the weakest point of the Apple watch (https://daringfireball.net/2015/04/the_apple_watch), but the same criticism would apply to other smartwatches as well:

"What matters as a timepiece is what it’s like using Apple Watch to check the time. My big concern, from the get-go, is the fact that Apple Watch’s screen remains off until you tap the screen (or one of the buttons) or it detects, via its accelerometer and gyroscope (and perhaps other sensors?) that you’ve moved your wrist into a “tell the time” position....

I’ve worn a watch every day since I was in 7th grade, almost 30 years ago. I’m used to being able to see the time with just a glance whenever there is sufficient light. Apple Watch is somewhat frustrating in this regard. Even when Wrist Raise detection works perfectly, it takes a moment for the watch face to appear. There’s an inherent tiny amount of lag that isn’t there with a regular watch...."

• Reply 57 of 73
    rogifan wrote: »
    There's no reason the S1 module can't be swapped out to upgrade the watch... newer modules can be more powerful and yet no larger. Apple has it all thought out...

Yeah not being an engineer myself I'm wondering what exactly in the teardown points to no upgrades being possible?

I made my silly comment before visiting the tear-down site and seeing how impossibly wired in the S1 is... It's such a part of the spider web inside the watch case that it's never gonna be removed intact.

On the subject of the data port: It is one of two things. First, I'll bet it is there for final checkout of the watch. If Apple gets a pass/fail response, they either junk the watch or insert the non-removable plug/cover to cover the port and ship the watch. Secondly, and this is far less likely, it is there for after-sale diagnosis. I feel this is less likely due to how the plug/cover is fixed into the watch. It's also not intended to be removed.
  • Reply 58 of 73
    Except automobiles are superior to horse drawn carriages in every way. The same is not true of smartwatches vs dedicated watches. Smartwatches are computers first and watches second, and invariably compromise the latter function in order to support the first. Gruber regards timekeeping as perhaps the weakest point of the Apple watch (https://daringfireball.net/2015/04/the_apple_watch), but the same criticism would apply to other smartwatches as well:

"What matters as a timepiece is what it’s like using Apple Watch to check the time. My big concern, from the get-go, is the fact that Apple Watch’s screen remains off until you tap the screen (or one of the buttons) or it detects, via its accelerometer and gyroscope (and perhaps other sensors?) that you’ve moved your wrist into a “tell the time” position....

I’ve worn a watch every day since I was in 7th grade, almost 30 years ago. I’m used to being able to see the time with just a glance whenever there is sufficient light. Apple Watch is somewhat frustrating in this regard. Even when Wrist Raise detection works perfectly, it takes a moment for the watch face to appear. There’s an inherent tiny amount of lag that isn’t there with a regular watch...."

Thanks for the chuckle. I suspect a fraction of a second lag to get the time that is as accurate as scientifically possible beats the instant view I get on my Rolex that is 5 minutes slow most of the time ( and that's after a bloody $1,000 service!) . :D
  • Reply 59 of 73
    Smartwatches are computers first and watches second, and invariably compromise the latter function in order to support the first. Gruber regards timekeeping as perhaps the weakest point of the Apple watch (https://daringfireball.net/2015/04/the_apple_watch), but the same criticism would apply to other smartwatches as well

I suspect there was a lot of discussion around what to cal the device Apple eventually named "the ?watch." By calling it a watch, the mind instantly assumes that time-keeping is its primary purpose when that function is in a far second-place. Apple may have called it a "watch" to qualify it as a luxury item...or since it attaches to the body where a watch usually resides.
  • Reply 60 of 73

Actually, that idea is incorrect. Warrantees are a marketing device first and foremost. Marketing use warranties to instill confidence in completing a purchase.As usual, the big type giveth and the small type takeith away.