Apple debuts three new ads showing Apple Watch use in everyday situations

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Sorry, I have trouble understanding the concept of "I hope my wife will let me.."

Why would she dictate these personal decisions, especially if it's your money? If she wanted to get a watch, would she be fine with you saying "no, you can't"? I get it if it's a car or a house, as those are large purchases that affect both your lives, and there should be some discussion. But why is she allowed to "not let you" get a watch?

Trying to score some MRA points?  Crushed and snorted a red pill this morning?

Grown ups in grown up relationships work as a team.

• Reply 22 of 53
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member

I think these go a long way to demonstrate the watch's allure. How us "normal people" would use the watch, instead of contrived scenarios like those in the Android wear promo (with many of those scenarios not even making it into the product.) It also demonstrates just how wrong Nilay Patel from the Verge got his "review"(aka preset agenda.)

Despite these ads showing very logical uses, there is another more interesting use for the watch which is only becomes apparent during wear. While wearing the watch I feel like I am interfaced with my digital persona (twitter/facebook/instagram/pinterest/more.) It's not so much a watch, as a 6th sense to my body. A additional sense that can alert me to real world conditions that are beyond my traditional senses. E.g. My plants can tell me when they need watering(Parrot Flower Power), if it's about to rain(Dark Sky), I can feel when there is urgent news/or when friends are trying to contact me, I can even sense complex ideas such as when there has been a large withdrawal from my bank account. This is truly special and not something a phone in the pocket was able to convey. In this way, this device bridges the gap between our physical and digital worlds. 

A recent tech crunch article discussed how notifications are the future, and this product really made me understand and agree with that concept. It's really the turning point for technology where a little bit of input to technology serves us a great deal.

• Reply 23 of 53
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member

Oh wow pretty awful. I wonder if these were done in-house. The second one is good as it focuses mostly on the practicality without being overly sell-y or smarmy. But that first one is as bad as anything Samsung ever aired. ..and why is everyone so fn sad? wtf? Expect these to be universally  derided and mocked. Are they selling Abilfy? I was expecting it to finish with may cause drowsiness, discontinue if you have suicidal thoughts or depression worsens. This one is ending up getting thoroughly mocked on Conan tonight. 

• Reply 24 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    sog35 wrote: »
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Can you block a Global Moderator? Apparently not.

i don't want to block him.

but i get tired of him keeping bring up what other companies are doing (google,microsoft, Moto) and wanted Apple to do the same (round watch face and now 1 inch keyboard)

Like back when you wanted them to add bigger screens to the iPhones you mean?

I think the communication side is important for the watch. It's a notifications device so what would be the harm in just being able to tap out a quick reply? It doesn't have to be a keyboard.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    Love the videos. The music sounded familiar but I couldn't place it so I had Siri guess. She tried 8 times and confidently guessed 8 different tunes! Say whut B?!? Most likely it's an Apple agency created tune but I really like it.
    Same here except I Shazamed via app. Loved the tune. It does seem to be created for the ad. However Apple ad tunes always leak out though. In fact I have the MacBook Pro tune set up as my ringtone.

If you plan to convert one of the videos I recommend the "Rise" version. Seems the one with the least sound effects and more "full" somehow. The "Us" feels more emotional but there're too many sound effects in it.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

You are not the target market for the Watch.  Next.

But I am. I'm getting one. These commercials are just plain terrible.

• Reply 27 of 53
    Quote:

Then the commercial wasn't meant for you.  Next.

Yeah that , or just plain terrible. I think most people with agree on the "just plain terrible. Next.

• Reply 28 of 53
    thrang wrote: »
    Wow, excellent ads! Very impactful, illustrative, understated and especially intriguing for those who wondered how they might use a Watch.

Agreed, but leaving me wondering, "Were these done in-house or at the ad agency?"
  • Reply 29 of 53
    rp2011 wrote: »

You are not the target market for the Watch.  Next.

But I am. I'm getting one. These commercials are just plain terrible.

I think I know why you're saying what you're saying. Much of the media today are playing to the young "MTV attention span" generation. Once you spend some time with any one of the ads you can see a story playing out... but it's barely being hinted at.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Marvin wrote: »
    Very nicely done ads. They show up some useful features, the most important I'd say are directions on the wrist, payments/unlocking doors and fitness tracking. Some of the other features, they did what Microsoft do, which is cut away before following up on the usage and padding the scenes with people just wearing the watch without using it at all.

When the person scribbled out 'hi', what is the response going to be? He can't just say 'hi' back and leave it at that. They need a messaging feature that doesn't need dictation. The Microsoft Band does this even with its wide shape:

THINK, man, think!! The ?watch has emojis for responding too. Who wants to fuss with a damn alphabet device when you got siri, dictation, and emoji ways to respond...plus, in the slim chance you use an iPhone, there are also pre-programmed responses built in.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    thrang wrote: »
    Wow, excellent ads! Very impactful, illustrative, understated and especially intriguing for those who wondered how they might use a Watch.

Agreed, but leaving me wondering, "Were these done in-house or at the ad agency?"

They hired some of the people from the external ad agency they used. The watch ones look similar to the other lifestyle ads they did before:

[VIDEO]

I'm not sure when the transition happened though. Some of the ads that came before the switchover look similar to the ones after so I think the new ad team is either trying to continue the same style of ads or the people they hired are doing the same style they did before.

I quite like this style of ad and I think it's hard for others to copy because if you don't really do it in a genuine way - like if the way the company operates doesn't reflect what's in the video, that comes across. Competitor's ads typically focus on specs and when they try to do more situational ads, it's just tacky.
    THINK, man, think!! The ?watch has emojis for responding too. Who wants to fuss with a damn alphabet device when you got siri, dictation, and emoji ways to respond...plus, in the slim chance you use an iPhone, there are also pre-programmed responses built in.

Think about calling someone up to go out for coffee and you don't want to speak out loud. You can just tap, tap, tap, they reply 'what's up?'. You tap out 'Coffee?', they reply 'Sure, when?', you reply '10 mins', they reply 'ok', 'meet you at Starbucks'. You can see in the ad, one of the text replies was 'me too'. Very short messages. Siri will do the job but you can't edit things it gets wrong and you don't always want to say things out loud.

Like I say, 3rd parties will probably fill in some of the gaps here but I think it would be best if Apple covered this.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    Two of the scenes in the Rise commercial were shot in New Zealand!
    I had no idea the ad company was filming here.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:

wtf man.

grow some balls and buy it.  Is she a sugar momma or something?

I hate giving marriage advice but I will.  In my far from perfect marriage each of us get a monthly 'allowance'.  I'm not going to say how much it is  but basically I get to spend my allowance on any thing the hell I want.  This prevents alot of fighting and arguments.  I get an allowance, she gets her allowance.  We buy what the hell we want without the other constantly criticizing our purchases.

Of course for big things like Cars we consult each other.

Fail.  Next.

• Reply 34 of 53
    "UP" video, last scene: climbing the steps to the Catalonian National Museum in Barcelona?
  • Reply 35 of 53
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

These ads are each around 1 minute. I assume there will be shorter ones for TV?

With all the quick cuts, that shouldn't be an issue.  The soundtrack might need remixing from the ground up (to accommodate the gradual build in 30 seconds, or even 15).

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but the harmonic structure starts off with two chords, the first of which is a minor chord (the sixth, for those who care about such things).  Slightly tension-inducing. 

Near the 45-second mark, this repeated progression subtly shifts to a traditional Plagal cadence... the one used in traditional Protestant churches as a sung "Amen" at the close of a hymn. The word itself means "so be it; truly". 

If that was an accidental reference, it still seems an appropriate one.

• Reply 36 of 53
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    And yet, no one is buying it except the hardcore fans. This is going to be ugly. The only people really excited about this product are the senior management team who feels that they had to hard sell it by giving tons of interview and the biggest pre-launch marketing spend. They've never had to do this with any other product in their history. What does that tell you?

Even the reviewers have all been pretty subdued with their praise.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Apple was the first to bring out large screens. 

The original iPhone screen was massive in its day

What part of 'bigger' didn't you understand?
  • Reply 38 of 53
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    jcc wrote: »
    And yet, no one is buying it except the hardcore fans. This is going to be ugly. The only people really excited about this product are the senior management team who feels that they had to hard sell it by giving tons of interview and the biggest pre-launch marketing spend. They've never had to do this with any other product in their history. What does that tell you?

What are you smoking and where can I get some?
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JCC View Post

If Apple releases sales figures for the Apple Watch tomorrow during the financial call, you'll be eating crow. The numbers will make your head spin and nullify your silly doom and gloom prediction.

• Reply 40 of 53
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ramsey123 View Post

If Apple releases sales figures for the Apple Watch tomorrow during the financial call, you'll be eating crow. The numbers will make your head spin and nullify your silly doom and gloom prediction.

They will undoubtedly sell out of the first batch due to fans buying whatever has an Apple logo on it.  It's the other people who don't give a crap that you need to attract to make it a successful new category. Thus far, most people are "meh" when it comes to the watch. It has about as much excitement as the Apple TV when that launched.

When the iPhone launched, there was a line that wrapped around 2 city blocks at the 5th Ave. store. The same was true for the iPad. I think the reason they changed the ordering process to online this time for the watch was because they know that they wouldn't get the same reaction.  They didn't want to signal to others that it's a total fail like the Apple TV launch. Like I said, the people most excited about it it seems are the senior management team whose been going around to whoever wants to listen that this is the next great thing.  Too bad no one gives a crap.

And I count myself a loyal Apple fan for over a decade. I've own the stock since 2004. Purchased just about every Apple product. But this, is just not market ready.  Jobs would have agreed.