First look: Unboxing the stainless steel Apple Watch with milanese loop (video)

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited April 2015
Apple's mid-range stainless steel Apple Watch not only has a more premium enclosure than the aluminum Sport version, but it also comes in different packaging, and features a steel magnetic charger rather than plastic.

With Friday's launch of the Apple Watch, AppleInsider got its hands on the 42-millimeter stainless steel version with milanese loop band. The unboxing process can be seen in the video embedded below:

In all, the packaging for the Apple Watch is very nice, and has a premium feel. This stands in contrast to the Sport models, which come in a long, white plastic case.

We were also surprised by how long the charging cable is. Perhaps Apple felt that longer cables might be needed to route around nightstands or otherwise for nightly charging.

AppleInsider will have much more on the Apple Watch, including detailed video on the setup and pairing process.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    Vertical video fail.
  • Reply 2 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    [quote]In all, the packaging for the Apple Watch is very nice, and has a premium feel. This stands in contrast to the Sport models, which come in a long, white plastic case.[/quote]

So is the SS Watch packaging a different material than the Sport packaging? From photos they both look to be white plastic.
  • Reply 3 of 80
    Just say no to vertical filming.
  • Reply 4 of 80
    ...aspect ratio, pls. It's hard (I did it yesterday) but the video is minuscule now.
  • Reply 5 of 80
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

The Sport edition comes in a long, flat box. The SS edition comes in a more traditional watch box.

Very happy with my SS/ML Apple Watch. :)

• Reply 6 of 80
    richl wrote: »
    The Sport edition comes in a long, flat box. The SS edition comes in a more traditional watch box.

Very happy with my SS/ML Apple Watch. :)

But are they the same material?

Glad you're happy with your watch. :)
  • Reply 7 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So is the SS Watch packaging a different material than the Sport packaging? From photos they both look to be white plastic.

It feels like pretty hefty plastic, denser than some other ones. I haven't seen the sport box, but it definitely seems thicker and more dense than the white plastic that the apple headphones come in, for instance.

• Reply 8 of 80
    cakracakra Posts: 12member
    Take the video down. Or redo it in portrait mode...
  • Reply 9 of 80

I realize that the packaging looks good, but frankly as much as Apple strives to be Green in manufacturing, I would like to see them be as Green in their packaging.  Unless that hefty plastic case doubles as a stand, most likely it will end up in the trash.  I would like to see them get rid of all the little plastic covers in which they wrap everything, they are simply not needed.

• Reply 10 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cakra View Post

You mean landscape. It is in portrait mode. 

• Reply 11 of 80
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    cakra wrote: »

Landscape.
  • Reply 12 of 80
    alanshutko wrote: »

It feels like pretty hefty plastic, denser than some other ones. I haven't seen the sport box, but it definitely seems thicker and more dense than the white plastic that the apple headphones come in, for instance.

Yeah from photos it looks more dense than typical Apple packaging. But AI's wording makes it sound like the SS watch packaging is more premium and so that's why I wonder if it's using different materials or more sense plastic.
  • Reply 13 of 80

This guy's poor kids are going to be looking at all of their baby videos in portrait mode when they are adults muttering under their breath what a nimrod dad was back in his youth.

• Reply 14 of 80
    cakra wrote: »

Just tap the button in the top right of your iPhone video player screen and it becomes full size. Magic!
  • Reply 15 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lundkeman View Post

I realize that the packaging looks good, but frankly as much as Apple strives to be Green in manufacturing, I would like to see them be as Green in their packaging.  Unless that hefty plastic case doubles as a stand, most likely it will end up in the trash.  I would like to see them get rid of all the little plastic covers in which they wrap everything, they are simply not needed.

They wrapped the highly polished sections in plastic. This is needed, IMO, because in packaging jewelry, highly polished parts are easily nicked. All it takes is one tiny nick for a customer to call Apple back asking for a replacement.

I do think the plastic box is not very eco-friendly, but I bet it is highly recyclable. Buyers should be able to place them in their recycle bins. Done. But again, all you need is a crushed box and/or Watch, it it'll be getting sent back or placed in a defective heap for reprocessing.

With all their packaging design chops, I would think that Apple could make a multipurpose package/charging stand for little or no extra cost. The Watch appears to really need a charging stand of some sort.

• Reply 16 of 80
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lundkeman View Post

I have a whole box of original Apple packaging and boxes. For some reason, I just can't get myself to take them to the recycle bin. They are clever little works of art. I've thought about putting them on eBay.

• Reply 17 of 80
    carthusia wrote: »

They wrapped the highly polished sections in plastic. This is needed, IMO, because in packaging jewelry, highly polished parts are easily nicked. All it takes is one tiny nick for a customer to call Apple back asking for a replacement.

I do think the plastic box is not very eco-friendly, but I bet it is highly recyclable. Buyers should be able to place them in their recycle bins. Done. But again, all you need is a crushed box and/or Watch, it it'll be getting sent back or placed in a defective heap for reprocessing.

With all their packaging design chops, I would think that Apple could make a multipurpose package/charging stand for little or no extra cost. The Watch appears to really need a charging stand of some sort.

Considering Cook's obsession with the environment and hiring Lisa Jackson to run environmental initiatives why would Apple not make eco-friendly packaging? Unless we're just assuming it's not? I don't know squat about materials...is no plastic eco-friendly?
  • Reply 18 of 80
    sog35 wrote: »
    All the plastic is needed so the items don't get scratched in transit
    You don't really believe that do you? We all fawn about Apple, me included, but let's not go over the top about the box the bloody thing comes in. It's a box.
  • Reply 19 of 80
    sunrasunra Posts: 3member
    Surprisingly sloppy unpacking. On top of that using vertical video format... sigh!
  • Reply 20 of 80
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Hey AI, please shoot the next videos in the proper landscape orientation!