How to pair your new Apple Watch with your iPhone

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited May 2015
Once you get your Apple Watch out of the box, the first thing you'll need to do is pair it with an iPhone to start using its features. AppleInsider offers a closer look at exactly how the pairing process works.

In the video below, we show the pairing of a 42-millimeter stainless steel Apple Watch with milanese loop and an iPhone 6:

Pairing is accomplished through the official Apple Watch app found in the most recent build of iOS 8. Once the pairing begins, a unique floating particle graphic displays on the Apple Watch, and once captured with the iPhone's camera, the two devices are linked.

Once the Apple Watch and iPhone are paired, a quick setup process requires some basic information, including on which wrist the person plans to wear their watch, and a user's Apple ID login.

Users are also asked to allow the Apple Watch to use both location services and Siri before the process is complete. A passcode can also be created to allow a user to unlock their watch if it is out of range from their iPhone.

Finally, the pairing process asks if users want to install all available third-party applications on the Apple Watch, or if they wish to do it later. A syncing process then takes about five to ten minutes before the device is ready to go.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member

Me likes :smokey:

• Reply 2 of 8
    yanimacyanimac Posts: 23member
    Interesting. I didn't realize it used the camera to pair. It must be that the "cloud particle" has info that the phone scans then?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    Really sweet. Too bad you only have to pair it once!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Wow, so slick. Nice to see all these little touches. Everything about this product screams attention to detail.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    davemcm76davemcm76 Posts: 268member
    Had my try on appointment this morning so I'll be trying this on a 42mm slate grey sport due some time in June... fingers crossed Apple really are getting them out of the door quicker than their current delivery estimates or it's going to be a long wait...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    davemcm76 wrote: »
    a 42mm slate grey sport due some time in June... fingers crossed Apple really are getting them out of the door quicker than their current delivery estimates or it's going to be a long wait...

Ditto!

Anyone out there who already got a phone care to share how much battery charge was on the watch at arrival? June is a long way away, but I want to know if I can hit the ground running...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    waldobushmanwaldobushman Posts: 774member
    davemcm76 wrote: »
    Had my try on appointment this morning so I'll be trying this on a 42mm slate grey sport due some time in June... fingers crossed Apple really are getting them out of the door quicker than their current delivery estimates or it's going to be a long wait...

My Apple Watch arrived tonight, with the watch indicating 47 minutes used since last charge.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    CrosslinkCrosslink Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Once you get your Apple Watch out of the box, the first thing you'll need to do is pair it with an iPhone to start using its features. AppleInsider offers a closer look at exactly how the pairing process works.
    In the video below, we show the pairing of a 42-millimeter stainless steel Apple Watch with milanese loop and an iPhone 6: Pairing is accomplished through the official Apple Watch app found in the most recent build of iOS 8. Once the pairing begins, a unique floating particle graphic displays on the Apple Watch, and once captured with the iPhone's camera, the two devices are linked. Once the Apple Watch and iPhone are paired, a quick setup process requires some basic information, including on which wrist the person plans to wear their watch, and a user's Apple ID login. Users are also asked to allow the Apple Watch to use both location services and Siri before the process is complete. A passcode can also be created to allow a user to unlock their watch if it is out of range from their iPhone. Finally, the pairing process asks if users want to install all available third-party applications on the Apple Watch, or if they wish to do it later. A syncing process then takes about five to ten minutes before the device is ready to go.
    I was tired asking for people on how to do setup my apple watch. Here is where I got all my questions answered - http://www.google.com - The best facilitator I ever met.