Embracing a wireless future: What it's like to use Apple's 12" MacBook as your main computer

Comments

• Reply 201 of 222
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    bc2009 wrote: »
    If you have a Sony digital camera, try the Sony Play Memories app on your Mac for wireless transfer of photos (assuming your camera model supports it).

That works great ???? even with the iPhone
  • Reply 202 of 222
    This all comes down too Apple's obsession to make everything as thin as possible.

When is the last time anyone has used an Apple product and thought "damn, what I wouldn't give up so that this thing could be a mm. or two thinner".

I can't remember that ever happening to me in the past 10-15 years.

Now I'm supposed to be happy about a trackpad that doesn't "click", keys that travel even less, fewer ports, and the need for more adaptoids, because all of that gives me a few less mm of thickness!? No Thanks.

I think Apple needs to send Johnny Ive and Tim Cook for some therapy to get over the anorexic obsessions.

Ok, that's all tongue-in-cheek. This product is targeted at a very particular user. I get that. The thing is that the whole premise of a "Macbook" (as in NOT a "Pro") is to make it easy for consumers, etc. I think theres a bit of a misstep here between the design goals and the marketing message. The design goals of a real "road warrior" machine were obviously met. But to think this is something to roll out for "non-Pros" is a mistake. They will see the barrage of adaptors, and various hoops they need to jump through to get their work done, as just making things needlessly complex.
  • Reply 203 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by David291 View Post

This all comes down too Apple's obsession to make everything as thin as possible.

When is the last time anyone has used an Apple product and thought "damn, what I wouldn't give up so that this thing could be a mm. or two thinner".

I can't remember that ever happening to me in the past 10-15 years.

My 2007 MacBook Pro. Too thick, too heavy. Hardly ever used the built-in optical drive. Small capacity removable battery didn't last long. I wish it was like a MacBook Air.

My 2009 iPhone 3GS. Too thick. Way too thick, and terrible battery life. It failed under warranty, so I got it replaced and the replacement died not long after I upgraded to the iPhone 4, which was thinner and better made, but still too thick and brick-like. I like the iPhone 6. It's just right.

My 2012 iPad 3. Too thick, too heavy--way too heavy to hold in one hand all the time. The iPad Air is ideal size and weight.

• Reply 204 of 222
    snookiesnookie Posts: 139member
    This really sounded like the author is just defending criticism of his review of the MacBook. Who uses sd cards anymore? Laughable.

"I do not own a USB-C to USB-A adapter"
    So you just gave up rather than spending a whole $19 on one from Apple and even less from other places? Then used that to justify your comments? Weak. is this the same place that publishes Daniel Eran Dilger? Sure doesn't sound like it.
  • Reply 205 of 222

Then I am sure you know you are an outlier and not relevant to the discussion.

• Reply 206 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Though it's exactly what every single reviewer has said about the MacBook.

No it isn't.

• Reply 207 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toysandme View Post

Thanks for the review. I nearly got sucked in. This Mac is a couple of ports away from happiness. I already have an iPad. I'll pass.

Luaghing...did you miss the part where an $11.99 cable would have solved his "problem"?

• Reply 208 of 222
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    snookie wrote: »
    No it isn't.

Okay, than please show me a review that doesn't have a problem with the lack of ports.

Here is a short list from Google, in order, when you search for the phrase, "new Macbook review".

Almost all of them really liked the styling, says its the future of computing but were ultimately frustrated by the lack of ports. In fact I seriously couldn't find a review that didn't mention the lack of ports as a good thing. However there are many sites and reviews out there so Im sure if you looked hard enough you'll find one that thinks the Macbook is perfect the way it is but it will stand alone in it's conclusions. I personally am still getting one to use as a ChromeBook of sorts or a always connected laptop for web apps as it's too beatiful for me not to have one but don't kid your self, the lack of ports will be a big problem for a lot of people. The AppleInsider reviewer feels the same as almost every person who reviewed the Macbook so going after him for feeling the way he does is pretty unfair or did you expect him to not say anything negative solely on the reason that he was reviewing a Macbook. My biggest complaint is actually not the lack of ports but lack of wireless charging, no Miracast and no LTE option. If your going to do an all wireless computer, than finish it.

www.engadget.com/2015/03/09/new-macbook-hands-on/
    www.gizmag.com/12-inch-macbook-review/37076/
    www.theverge.com/2015/3/9/8173685/macbook-retina-display-usb-type-c-hands-on-video
    www.macworld.com/article/2908115/review-the-new-12-inch-macbook-is-a-laptop-without-an-ecosystem.html
    www.businessspectator.com.au/article/2015/4/27/technology/review-apples-new-macbook
    www.cnet.com/products/apple-macbook-2015/
    www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/laptops-portable-pcs/laptops-and-netbooks/new-macbook-2015-1287806/review
    www.gizmodo.com/new-macbook-review-stupidly-thin-1698424838
    www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/apple-macbook-12-inch-retina-display-2015
  • Reply 209 of 222
    Nice review, thank you very much for making this. There were things I hadn't considered that have stopped me making the mistake of buying this laptop. Cool!

(Also, wtf is with all the negativity up there, of corse there are going to be issues with his review, there's issues with everything if you look hard enough for them, chill out with the hate guys)!
  • Reply 210 of 222
    Quote:

The AppleInsider reviewer feels the same as almost every person who reviewed the Macbook so going after him for feeling the way he does is pretty unfair or did you expect him to not say anything negative solely on the reason that he was reviewing a Macbook.

And yet there's a 4 - 6 week backlog of orders for this device, obviously quite a few people think it makes no difference whatsoever, but yet, every single reviewer goes on and on about lack of ports being such a bad thing, a deal breaker, just as this reviewer (wrongly in my opinion) did. I think these reviewers are all wrong and all the orders point to their being wrong, I think they handled the lack of ports issue completely wrongly, I think they misunderstand the whole target market and the fact that you just said again you don't care about lack of ports, why the hell are they all going on about lack of ports being such a big thing, especially when there is such an easy workaround, for even (silly) situations like this reviewer had??

Because being negative earns one easy points, especially regarding Apple or anything new (reviewers demonstrating lack of vision or understanding), it's easy to pander to the negative nellies and the tech/spec whore crowd (both click bait), while completely ignoring the fact that the product is on back order there's so much demand for this version, for this iteration with this many ports. Unless all the reviewers think that people are going to open their new MacBooks and declare, "oh shit, there's only one port, I'm sending this stupid thing back, I wish the damn reviewers had told me about this deal breaking problem." You said not one reviewer found it a non-issue, yet the queue of people wanting this thing conclude differently, why is that?

Personally, I think the reviewers haven't done their jobs properly by misunderstanding the use cases and target market, and that's a fundamental issue I believe they got wrong. They're acting like a bunch of men reviewing women's sanitary products. If you want to review a product for which you're not the target market, don't speak to your own use cases and criticise the product so harshly, speak to mine and speak to me in my language. Stop being so fucking negative about a feature and present it to me if there are some issues, fine, but without warning me away from buying the product as the tone all the reviewers take regarding this stupid port issue, and the fact that the AI review gave this most lovely machine a score of 3.5/5 attests to this.

It's one of the same arguments reviewers had with the original iPad, and yet that didn't keep people from buying, using and loving it. For being involved with tech, products reviewers sometimes are one of the slowest groups to be brought into the world of modern contemporary devices and device usage, they so easily fail to see how issues they have (like the ports) is *not* an issue for other people (or not a big issue when there are such easy work-arounds), but they just can't see that. Or they can and they choose instead to speak to the "virile man" who is all about MHz, GBs and RAM; the user who considers only himself a "real" user of computers, the rest are all girly men playing with computers. You've certainly seen a fair share of that kind of user showing up in this thread, most, ironically, defending the review. How shocking, right?!

• Reply 211 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

And yet there's a 4 - 6 week backlog of orders for this device, obviously quite a few people think it makes no difference whatsoever, but yet, every single reviewer goes on and on about lack of ports being such a bad thing, a deal breaker, just as this reviewer (wrongly in my opinion) did. I think these reviewers are all wrong and all the orders point to their being wrong, I think they handled the lack of ports issue completely wrongly, I think they misunderstand the whole target market and the fact that you just said again you don't care about lack of ports, why the hell are they all going on about lack of ports being such a big thing, especially when there is such an easy workaround, for even (silly) situations like this reviewer had??

Because being negative earns one easy points, especially regarding Apple or anything new (reviewers demonstrating lack of vision or understanding), it's easy to pander to the negative nellies and the tech/spec whore crowd (both click bait), while completely ignoring the fact that the product is on back order there's so much demand for this version, for this iteration with this many ports. Unless all the reviewers think that people are going to open their new MacBooks and declare, "oh shit, there's only one port, I'm sending this stupid thing back, I wish the damn reviewers had told me about this deal breaking problem." You said not one reviewer found it a non-issue, yet the queue of people wanting this thing conclude differently, why is that?

Personally, I think the reviewers haven't done their jobs properly by misunderstanding the use cases and target market, and that's a fundamental issue I believe they got wrong. They're acting like a bunch of men reviewing women's sanitary products. If you want to review a product for which you're not the target market, don't speak to your own use cases and criticise the product so harshly, speak to mine and speak to me in my language. Stop being so fucking negative about a feature and present it to me if there are some issues, fine, but without warning me away from buying the product as the tone all the reviewers take regarding this stupid port issue, and the fact that the AI review gave this most lovely machine a score of 3.5/5 attests to this.

It's one of the same arguments reviewers had with the original iPad, and yet that didn't keep people from buying, using and loving it. For being involved with tech, products reviewers sometimes are one of the slowest groups to be brought into the world of modern contemporary devices and device usage, they so easily fail to see how issues they have (like the ports) is *not* an issue for other people (or not a big issue when there are such easy work-arounds), but they just can't see that. Or they can and they choose instead to speak to the "virile man" who is all about MHz, GBs and RAM; the user who considers only himself a "real" user of computers, the rest are all girly men playing with computers. You've certainly seen a fair share of that kind of user showing up in this thread, most, ironically, defending the review. How shocking, right?!

No,  you skipped over the fact that I'm getting one myself.  There was no need to go off the way you did,  If you don't like what reviewers are saying than just don't read the reviews.  I also see value in the Macbook,  it's more because of it's looks than it's over all functionality but I still see the value none the less. I was just defending the reviewer,  everyone has their needs and it's unfair too osterize someone for theirs.  I can almost guarantee though that every person who buys one of these as their main machine will defiantly feel the lack of ports.  As for myself, I have zero misconceptions of what the Macbook is capable of,  I already have plenty of good machines that can handle my work. The Macbook on the other hand,  like my tablets,  just seems like the perfect couch computer for me. 

• Reply 212 of 222
    Quote:

No,  you skipped over the fact that I'm getting one myself.  There was no need to go off the way you did,  If you don't like what reviewers are saying than just don't read the reviews.  I also see value in the Macbook,  it's more because of it's looks than it's over all functionality but I still see the value none the less. I was just defending the reviewer,  everyone has their needs and it's unfair too osterize someone for theirs.  I can almost guarantee though that every person who buys one of these as their main machine will defiantly feel the lack of ports.  As for myself, I have zero misconceptions of what the Macbook is capable of,  I already have plenty of good machines that can handle my work. The Macbook on the other hand,  like my tablets,  just seems like the perfect couch computer for me. 

No, I didn't skip over anything, I referred to it when I said that the ports issue wasn't even an issue for yourself (apologies I wasn't more clear that's what I meant, but I also think this once more reinforces my entire point that they got the reviews wrong). I was critical of the review (and all reviews committing the same error), but never once attacked the reviewers personally. I guess they can write scathing criticisms (okay, maybe not "scathing") of a product which none can find a reason to justify buying (today), while ignoring the hordes who disagree by queuing up for 4-6 weeks to get their hands on one, and yet someone like me who disagrees with the reviewers can't criticise their reviews for missing the mark? That's rich.

I stand by my points and my posts, if you don't like it feel free to add me to your ignore list, but I won't be adding you to mine.

• Reply 213 of 222
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

No, I didn't skip over anything, I referred to it when I said that the ports issue wasn't even an issue for yourself (apologies I wasn't more clear that's what I meant, but I also think this once more reinforces my entire point that they got the reviews wrong). I was critical of the review (and all reviews committing the same error), but never once attacked the reviewers personally. I guess they can write scathing criticisms (okay, maybe not "scathing") of a product which none can find a reason to justify buying (today), while ignoring the hordes who disagree by queuing up for 4-6 weeks to get their hands on one, and yet someone like me who disagrees with the reviewers can't criticise their reviews for missing the mark? That's rich.

I stand by my points and my posts, if you don't like it feel free to add me to your ignore list, but I won't be adding you to mine.

I don't ignore people for standing there ground or having an alternative opinion,  I'm just arguing my point as we all do here.  I just think people here took this guys review to serious, mostly because he had something negative to say about an Apple product.  People, like your self have already made a conscious decision to like or dislike the new Macbook and there is very little that anyone could do or say to change your mind,  so why all the hostility towards a person who feels differently. I know exactly where the reviewer is coming from,  he wants and likes the new Macbook but the things that he feels he needs to be productive just aren't there and that sucks. We should feel sorry for him not belittle him,  his trying so hard to use it because he wants it.  I feel exactly the same way about the iPad,  I want so badly to be able to run multiple music creation apps in the background.  So much so that I spent a little over 1800CHF's in buying 3 of them just so I could run 3 apps at a time.  Ridiculous, I know,  but I needed it for live music, but why should I have to do that when it's an easy fix from Apple. The reviewer is rightfully upset,  Apple could have fit a mini SD card reader or another USB-C in the unit to make it more useable.  Get the MacBook Air 11 than,  I wouldn't,  the screen is outdated,  in, fact I stopped using mine because of it. I personally don't care so much about the ports as much as I'm just going to use it for the web but I would have easily used it for more if it had a micro HDMI,  mini SD slot and another USB-C port.  It doesn't, okay, I still want it because of the way it looks but I'm a sucker for shiny and tiny things. I bought the Space Grey version,  hopefully it will arrive before June,  what do you think,  I ordered it  last Monday. 

• Reply 214 of 222
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ALikePie View Post

Nice review, thank you very much for making this. There were things I hadn't considered that have stopped me making the mistake of buying this laptop. Cool!

(Also, wtf is with all the negativity up there, of corse there are going to be issues with his review, there's issues with everything if you look hard enough for them, chill out with the hate guys)!

Oh I agree. If it weren't for this editorial, none of us would know this thing had no SD card reader, and we would all mistakenly purchase it, open the box, write a review, take pictures with our Sony compact cameras, and only after the standard Apple return policy had expired do we realize our mistake! Where do I plug in my SD card??? Now we're stuck with this horrible computer! Shame on Apple. Thank you Neil for saving us from this "mistake." Cool!

• Reply 215 of 222
    may87may87 Posts: 2member

Finally a solution!!!

check this out nonda's project on kickstarter!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nonda/get-your-macbook-ports-back

I just backed on them. Hope they will not let me down!

• Reply 216 of 222
    may87may87 Posts: 2member

This is the future. Sad!

• Reply 217 of 222
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 579member
    So now the picture is clear - all future devices will have only a single USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 cabling

http://www.macworld.com/article/2929798/thunderbolt-3-to-work-over-usb-c.html
  • Reply 218 of 222
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,377moderator
    emoeller wrote: »
    So now the picture is clear - all future devices will have only a single USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 cabling

http://www.macworld.com/article/2929798/thunderbolt-3-to-work-over-usb-c.html

That makes sense because USB C can have 4 lanes with 10Gbps each and can be used for 4K/8K video and other data. TB3 is 40Gbps so that's equivalent to using all the USB C lanes. TB3 doesn't quite have enough bandwidth for 8K, which is 7680x4320 x 60 x 24 = 48Gbps but some fast lossless compression would work, especially given that hardly any source media will have 8K of actual data and they can have some kind of pass-through option if they use DP1.4.

Removing the old TB port and mag-safe (Skylake has wireless charging) means Apple can shrink the thickest part of the MBP down by 1mm (from 1.8cm to 1.7cm) and taper it a little down to the front edge, although they could leave it squared off if they didn't want to mess with the batteries.

Hopefully they won't reduce the number of ports to just two on the MBP as a result. Two on each side would be best, either 1x TB 3 and 1x USB-C on each or 2x TB3 on one and 2x USB C on the other. Maybe they'll have 4x TB3 ports, Skylake supports PCIe 4 with each lane supporting 16Gbps. They'll need to sell new cables to attach to old TB devices and some people will plug in TB devices to the USB C ports thinking they are the same but manufacturers will be able to support both USB and TB modes with one port so it's the best setup they could have. Hard drive manufacturers will sell USB C drives with optional TB performance, which would be up to 4x faster. That will only matter for newer SSDs that will be capable of 2GB/s+ speeds.

If the USB C spec managers had allowed analog audio over it, Apple could have finally ditched the 3.5mm jack too but it's best not to mix analog and digital signals and audio needs to move away from analog cabling. Wireless helps but Apple can bring out Beats headphones with USB C on both ends and it will plug into either side of the laptop as well as a new iPhone if it gets USB C or just have USB C to Lightning. They can sell a USB C to 3.5mm active adaptor for legacy headphones like these, ideally shrinking the middle bit down:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0D8-00FA-00013

USB C headphones will need to be able to signal to the OS that audio out should switch from internal. This also means that a laptop can output multiple audio streams so you can have headphones on and send the same audio over another USB cable to another device. No more audio crackling, power line noise, broken headphone jacks, enough power for noise cancellation.
  • Reply 219 of 222
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more about your call to ditch analogue audio.  You can't hear digitally encoded signals.  The end use of all digital audio is conversion to analogue. Having to put power handling, D/A converters and amps in every pair of headphones or earphones is utterly ridiculous and wasteful.  Not to mention divorcing an enormous number of existing audio devices that accept analogue inputs that in many cases can originate from a 3.5mm jack.  You wouldn't even have room for the necessarycircuitry with in-ear buds, notwithstanding, the bulk of a USB-C cable would be inappropriate for many such devices.

What the world really needs is a mag-safe like replacement for the 3.5mm jack and socket.

• Reply 220 of 222
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,377moderator
    cnocbui wrote: »
    Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more about your call to ditch analogue audio.  You can't hear digitally encoded signals.

[VIDEO]

[VIDEO]

The end use of all digital audio is conversion to analogue.

That's like saying broadcasting telephone calls over electrical wires is no different from optical fiber. Optical doesn't get interference.
    Having to put power handling, D/A converters and amps in every pair of headphones or earphones is utterly ridiculous and wasteful.

They do it with wireless headphones.
    Not to mention divorcing an enormous number of existing audio devices that accept analogue inputs that in many cases can originate from a 3.5mm jack.

They can have a legacy 3.5mm connector on the headphone end, they'd just be removing the port from Macs and iOS devices.
    You wouldn't even have room for the necessarycircuitry with in-ear buds, notwithstanding, the bulk of a USB-C cable would be inappropriate for many such devices.

http://www.cio.com/article/2370975/peripherals/unique-logitech-earbuds-connect-to-pcs-via-usb-for-audio--video-calls.html

USB C is a little bulkier than 3.5mm but not much more than Lightning:

What the world really needs is a mag-safe like replacement for the 3.5mm jack and socket.

It would need to stay attached in your pocket but if that can overcome connection problems and interference then it would be an improvement over 3.5mm.