Embracing a wireless future: What it's like to use Apple's 12" MacBook as your main computer

145791012

Comments

  • Reply 121 of 222
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idrey View Post





    Almost everything is recyclable. Most people sell their old iPhone after the buy the new iPhone, so no trash produced there. Same can be done with almost everything. And what ever trash is produce keeps people working at the recycling plants. I see it as job security for people

     

    Any evidence for this claim? How many of the 50+ million iPhones sold each quarter end up in the secondhand market vs the dump?

     

    Edit: As of last year Gazelle has bought back about 2 million devices in its entire history (http://www.rockportcap.com/press-releases/gazelle-accepts-2-millionth-device-hits-1-millionth-customer-mark).

  • Reply 122 of 222
    Thank woofie Neptune for th MacBook Pro! So stoked it has an SD slot!
  • Reply 123 of 222
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    I do not own a USB-C to USB-A adapter, and the new MacBook does not have a traditional USB slot, nor an SD card slot.



    Once I hit this roadblock, I had no choice. I had to turn to my MacBook Pro, and its available full-size USB ports and SD card slot, to finish the review.

     

    Oh my god, I cannot believe it my Mac Pro does not have an SD slot and I don't have the proper cable so it is a load of crap and I can not use it to finish my work.....  This Corollary type review coming to you when next he does a Mac Pro review....  I really hope he is not paid for these types of reviews....   I have never heard such incompetence in my life, oh wait... I did.... but I fired him.  

  • Reply 124 of 222
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,131member

    Wow, didn't take long for the mindless, short-sighted Apple hating trolls to hijack this conversation... Up until about half way on page 2, this was a somewhat interesting debate... Now these idiots have turned this into a "mine is bigger than yours" finger pointing match, pitiful.

  • Reply 125 of 222
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

     

     

    Oh my god, I cannot believe it my Mac Pro does not have an SD slot and I don't have the proper cable so it is a load of crap and I can not use it to finish my work.....  This Corollary type review coming to you when next he does a Mac Pro review....  I really hope he is not paid for these types of reviews....   I have never heard such incompetence in my life, oh wait... I did.... but I fired him.  




    Excelelnt point, I'd actually forgotten about that "pro" machine which also doesn't have SD slots!

  • Reply 126 of 222
    brakkenbrakken Posts: 677member
    How about taking photos with iPhone 6 Plus, which has a rather good camera and is equipped with wirelessness, hmm? If you really are a fan of the future, then taking your other foot out of the past may assist you in your fandom.
  • Reply 127 of 222
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by xixo View Post

     

    (tl;dr: new MacBook is all about looking forward, Apple's standard battle plan)

     

    When Apple introduced the first iMac, their existing customers complained "No SCSI, no ADB, no floppy drive". They could not see that it was a future-based machine.

    ...


     

    Remember when Apple introduced the MacBook Air and few people bought it until it came with more than 1 USB port???

     

    As for that iMac, it's worth noting that Apple sold less than 2 million of them during the entire 1998 to 2003 run.  The iMac start selling in huge numbers until much later.  But the bigger point is that the iMac was easily floppy drive compatible, as well as SCSI and ADB compatible.  The USB port allowed for this, and it was clearly a step forward in functionality in a non portable device where plugging accessories into a hub was much more practical.

     

    Very few people are complaining about the new MacBook using USB-C, they're complaining that one shared port is inconvenient or impractical for certain tasks today

     

    Having two ports on the MacBook wouldn't have made it any less future-based for anyone.

  • Reply 128 of 222
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post



    Don't be obtuse. There's plenty of room for another USB-C port, even with the taper. Remove your head from the sand and perhaps instead of blindly supporting anything and everything Apple does, you'd be able to see that Apple isn't 100% perfect 100% of the time. If they were, the design of their devices wouldn't improve since they'd be perfect from generation 1.

     

    Wow, not only do you claim to know everything about the architecture and engineering of this device, along with the capitalist's trade-offs (cost, price, value, etc.), but you also demand that instead of incremental progress in tech devices, they jump directly to the vEOL-1 and deliver it in v1. Damn, Apple for using that broken magic wand once again.

     

    No matter what tech progress we make some people still demand more and criticise for its not being delivered, and of course in this case it's all Apple's fault and the people who are happy with their products today, despite the fact this device as it exists today has already sold more than they can produce, meaning there are more people willing to buy it than Apple is able to supply. Does that mean it's perfect? Not at all, lack of supply is not a statement about anything except that attitudes like yours fail to realise how perfect it is for a HUGE number of people today, with *today* being the most important point of that statement. Your claims that it fits a small niche today aren't borne out by supply not matching demand, unless you want to argue that Apple produced an extremely small number of these machines and demand will die in 4 to 6 weeks when their supplies catch up, or something rather illogical like that?

     

    If they'd included a 2nd port, (assuming it's possible all things being equal, meaning engineering feasibility and cost), what difference would that make to their sales *today*? Well, it would make no difference. What I mean is that if they'd included it they'd still be sold out. So, what is their motivation or reason to include all that extra stuff today, when we know all things wouldn't be equal, meaning that it would absolutely cost more to produce and it might suffer thickness or weight issues they've yet to resolve? Why should they include it, other than to avoid criticisms from a few spoiled tech reviewers and techies with unrealistic expectations.

     

    Next version will be interesting to see what they add to/upgrade in it, which will probably make it appealing to even more people than today. It may take v3 or beyond to capture some of the requirements that people would like to see in a product of this design, but to criticise it and attack people who are happy with it today is so petulant and self-centred it's like Veruca Salt is being channeled right here in this very forum, and tech forums across the world. "I want a 2nd port in this machine they can't produce enough of and I want it in v1 today and I don't want to pay any more than they're charging without it and I want it without any other size/weight tradeoffs! And it must be delivered by an Oompa Loompa riding on a Unicorn."

  • Reply 129 of 222

    What a wasted article with an equally wasted thread.

     

    Too many trolls here..... (Perhaps that's the kind of click-bait that AI editors are looking for. Sigh).

  • Reply 130 of 222
    How can the same Appleinsider that posts some of the most brilliant and well-researched editorials that eviscerate the financial and tech press for outrageously misleading coverage of Apple--how can THAT Appleinsider then turn around and allow one of its writers to post total shite like this article. I don't get it.

    Listen: I have a new Macbook arriving on Tuesday, AND I have a camera collection that involves three different types of storage cards, with none of the cameras having wifi. So I'm going to be totally screwed until "the future" arrives, right? Uh, no. I bought a USB-C to USB-female dongle, and I'll plug my universal card reader into it. Problem solved for $10 before the Macbook even gets here.

    Oh, but what about migrating from my Air to the new Macbook... surely THAT'S gonna be a disaster til "the future" gets here. Uh, no. I bought a USB-C to USB-male dongle to take care of that. Another $10 solution.

    Please get back to the kind of smart writing that makes this site worth reading daily, and stop with the lame, clickbait crap like this.
  • Reply 131 of 222
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by charlesn View Post



    How can the same Appleinsider that posts some of the most brilliant and well-researched editorials that eviscerate the financial and tech press for outrageously misleading coverage of Apple--how can THAT Appleinsider then turn around and allow one of its writers to post total shite like this article. I don't get it.



    Listen: I have a new Macbook arriving on Tuesday, AND I have a camera collection that involves three different types of storage cards, with none of the cameras having wifi. So I'm going to be totally screwed until "the future" arrives, right? Uh, no. I bought a USB-C to USB-female dongle, and I'll plug my universal card reader into it. Problem solved for $10 before the Macbook even gets here.



    Oh, but what about migrating from my Air to the new Macbook... surely THAT'S gonna be a disaster til "the future" gets here. Uh, no. I bought a USB-C to USB-male dongle to take care of that. Another $10 solution.



    Please get back to the kind of smart writing that makes this site worth reading daily, and stop with the lame, clickbait crap like this.



    You nailed it 100%! Well done, now let's see if that was enough to shut up the trolls and make Ai get back to quality writing!

  • Reply 132 of 222
    irun262irun262 Posts: 121member
    joestory wrote: »
    This truly is a fairly lame review. Bring back DED.
    What happened to DED???
  • Reply 133 of 222
    idreyidrey Posts: 640member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    So you think that every iPhone ever made is still in use?

    Oh not at all! I have 2 iPhones in my drawer! iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s. Many end up in the toilet, ocean, rivers, lakes, middle of the mountains, desserts, and who knows where else. Many in the dump and many recycle.
  • Reply 134 of 222
    idreyidrey Posts: 640member
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Any evidence for this claim? How many of the 50+ million iPhones sold each quarter end up in the secondhand market vs the dump?

    Edit: As of last year Gazelle has bought back about 2 million devices in its entire history (http://www.rockportcap.com/press-releases/gazelle-accepts-2-millionth-device-hits-1-millionth-customer-mark).

    They are not the only ones who buy and sell phones. And if there wasn't a market for use phone why cnet has a long list of resellers including buy back plans

    http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-sell-or-recycle-your-phone-for-cash/

    And what about one on one deals.
  • Reply 135 of 222
    bkkcanuckbkkcanuck Posts: 854member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by idrey View Post





    Oh not at all! I have 2 iPhones in my drawer! iPhone 5 and iPhone 5s. Many end up in the toilet, ocean, rivers, lakes, middle of the mountains, desserts, and who knows where else. Many in the dump and many recycle.

    Ship them to me and I will sell them at the MBK :p

  • Reply 136 of 222

    Am I the only person thinking one USB-C is enough?  I'm looking at the USB-C as a "dock" connector, not as a "new USB standards that needs adapters for legacy devices".  

     

    Right now, when I go to a meeting, I needed to disconnect everything: the power, the display port external monitor, keyboard, mouse, and external hard drive; that is a lot of time plug and unplug going to and come back from meetings.

     

    The new MacBook would be perfect for me.

  • Reply 137 of 222
    idreyidrey Posts: 640member
    bkkcanuck wrote: »
    Ship them to me and I will sell them at the MBK :p

    In Bangkok? ???? I have to fix their screens. I usually give them to family. But everybody has iPhone now, so might sell them
  • Reply 138 of 222
    d4njvrzfd4njvrzf Posts: 797member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by idrey View Post





    They are not the only ones who buy and sell phones. And if there wasn't a market for use phone why cnet has a long list of resellers including buy back plans



    http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-sell-or-recycle-your-phone-for-cash/



    And what about one on one deals.

    Again, do you have *hard figures* for one on one deals? 

     

    Being on the that list of resellers gives no indication to the sizes of the operations. And it's the numbers that count. Several of the resellers like Target already have well-established businesses elsewhere and therefore are under no pressure to generate revenue from used device sales. Who buys iPhones through Target anyway? As for independent operations, many of them are even smaller than Gazelle. For instance USell has reclaimed just over 350000 units and that includes every kind of smartphone (http://www.usell.com/). The OP claimed "most" iPhone buyers sell their old devices. Unless you have figures showing otherwise, that claim seems highly dubious given that Apple moves 50+million new units in a single quarter.

  • Reply 139 of 222
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MrEdofCourse View Post

     

     

    Wow, way to totally miss the point.  That takes some effort. 

     

    I, and many others, would be better off using Aperture.  The point is with Photos.app, like the 2015 MacBook, when "This product isn't for you" is the default answer to any criticism, eventually no products are for anybody.




    You missed my point. The death of Aperture and the legacy-port-free 2015 MacBook have nothing to do with each other. The lack of Aperture does not make the MacBook any less of a product for you. You still have a "Pro" workflow, and you still need to manage, catalog, and process images. Apple's already told Aperture users that they should eventually migrate to Lightroom, but that Aperture would continue to run on Yosemite, so you don't have to stop using it yet. One way or the other, you will have to eventually transition to another app. I get that you hate Photos, but what does it have to do with the 12" MacBook?

  • Reply 140 of 222
    idreyidrey Posts: 640member
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Again, do you have *hard figures* for one on one deals? 

    Being on the that list of resellers gives no indication to the sizes of the operations. And it's the numbers that count. Several of the resellers like Target already have well-established businesses elsewhere and therefore are under no pressure to generate revenue from used device sales. Who buys iPhones through Target anyway? As for independent operations, many of them are even smaller than Gazelle. For instance USell has reclaimed just over 350000 units and that includes every kind of smartphone (http://www.usell.com/). <span style="line-height:1.4em;">The OP claimed "most" iPhone buyers sell their old devices. Unless you have figures showing otherwise, t</span>
    hat claim seems highly dubious g<span style="line-height:1.4em;">iven that Apple moves 50+million new units in a single quarter.</span>

    Yes you are right, there is no evidence of my claim. All those phone are just thrown out, end up in the dump buried and forgotten. You win ????
Sign In or Register to comment.