Embracing a wireless future: What it's like to use Apple's 12" MacBook as your main computer

1246712

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 222
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    Sorry to pile on but if you didn't notice that you would need an adapter for your camera card before you began writing this review, how did you even make it into the professional career you are currently in?

  • Reply 62 of 222
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JDW View Post



    Thank you, AppleInsider, for this great article and for your excellent MacBook review. I loath the majority of the comments here though. Most griping and moaning commenters are far more out of touch with reality than the ariticle's author whom they desperately seek to bash. These readers tend to forget that regardless of what target customer Apple designed this super thin and light MacBook for, people outside that very narrow target group will still lust after it while at the same time lamenting what they perceive to be it's shortcomings. (If it wasn't lustworthy, why would any of us even care?) These discontent readers often defend the absolute perfection of everything new from Apple as if those products were given some heavenly stamp of divine approval. These readers then conveniently forget to mention that even this "heavenly wave of the future" notebook isn't truly wireless yet. That won't come until the cord can be cut entirely by wireless charging. The bashers also foolishly suggest that just because they are happy with a tiny CCD sensor camera that lacks an SD card, a lot of other people out therefore must be exactly like them! They then go on with their blunder by suggesting that WiFi photo and video transfer (especially as we enter the 4K video world) is somehow preferred (in terms of sheer speed) over SD card transfer. They forget that transfer speed is critically important for some of us, and not all of us think the "Pro" machines from Apple should have an exclusive grip on that.



    Lastly, we all need to keep our own group in perspective. Despite the PC market share gains Apple has made in recent years, we Mac users are still a tiny boat afloat in a sea of low tech Windows machines. A lot of those folks are still using Windows 7, and you'd be surprised at how many still run Vista! Most of those machines are still desktops, and the notebooks are thick, heavy, riddled with ever port imaginable, and have horrible battery life. The future where most people are using a truly modern computing device is still a long way off. Transitions take time. The future where most of us see the MacBook as a machine free of limitations is not here yet... Not even close.



    Please read my comment above for some "enlightenment", it seems you need some...

  • Reply 63 of 222
    dachardachar Posts: 330member

    The 12" MacBook is ahead of its time. I think Apple are testing the waters. It will be interesting to see how sales progress after a few months when all those who have to have the latest Apple have purchased. I have a feeling customers will be put off by the single USB-C for now.

     

    If I was looking for a laptop and visited the Apple store, what features would  help me choose between the various models? If I wanted light weight it would be an Macbook Air. If I wanted a retina screen the choice would be a MBP.  Looking at the 12" I would be impressed by its thinness, lightweight and retina screen. If price was the main factor I would choose a MB Air, if screen was the key then comparing the MBP with SD and "normal" USB slots against some new almost unheard of USB-C which at the moment seems to nothing to attach to it, I would discount the 12" MacBook. Apple is  major manufacturer. Perhaps they hope that by bringing out a laptop with USB-C other equipment manufacturers will follow and support it and they are just laying foundations with the 12"  for a move across to USB-C for other models in the next year or so providing USB-C takes off together with hoping a faster processor. 

  • Reply 64 of 222
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by JDW View Post



    Thank you, AppleInsider, for this great article and for your excellent MacBook review. I loath the majority of the comments here though. Most griping and moaning commenters are far more out of touch with reality than the ariticle's author whom they desperately seek to bash. 



    But you call Neil's griping and moaning and desperate bashing of the MacBook Retina a "great article"? Really? What makes it a "great article"? Is it because the article agrees with your biases?

  • Reply 65 of 222
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

     



    So you'd better buy a Lenovo or HP ultrabook running Windows because Apple products don't run Adobe Lightroom or Photoshop. Oh wait...


     

    Wow, way to totally miss the point.  That takes some effort. 

     

    I, and many others, would be better off using Aperture.  The point is with Photos.app, like the 2015 MacBook, when "This product isn't for you" is the default answer to any criticism, eventually no products are for anybody.

  • Reply 66 of 222
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MrEdofCourse View Post

     

     

    Wow, way to totally miss the point.  That takes some effort. 

     

    I, and many others, would be better off using Aperture.  The point is with Photos.app, like the 2015 MacBook, when "This product isn't for you" is the default answer to any criticism, eventually no products are for anybody.




    No, actually he hit it spot on, and you just danced around it. There will never be a single product that is perfect for every usage, every demographic, every task, without making compromises of one kind or another. To expect such is pure arrogance, and SN's comment was completely accurate.

  • Reply 67 of 222
    Mac user equals iPhone and with iCloud, Photo's are automatically synched on all devices. Sorry, very poor angle to use within the mac community.

    You have to ask yourself what is the use case for the target audience. A typical user who is buying a non-Pro mac (which this is), is not using a separate dedicated digital camera. They are using an iPhone, which has continuity and iCloud. Simply no reason for cables.
  • Reply 68 of 222
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MrEdofCourse View Post

     

    The point is with Photos.app, like the 2015 MacBook, when "This product isn't for you" is the default answer to any criticism, eventually no products are for anybody.


     

     

    Not only does your logic completely fail, but your attitude is that every single product should address the needs of you, whatever those may be. Sorry, but that's a bit self-centred.

     

    Apple does a great job of identifying discrete groups with distinct needs and creating products that address their specific and unique requirements in the most perfect ways. To assume that you are a member of every single group while always holding the same criteria is utterly ridiculous. The fact one product isn't for you, means either that your needs aren't worthy of capitalism's attentions, or no one has (yet) had the good sense to create a product to address them.

     

    It's not incumbent upon Apple to build to your personal specifications. Sadly, people misunderstand this and demand Apple build them their own personal Homer, and criticise them when they don't.

  • Reply 69 of 222
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

     



    No, actually he hit it spot on, and you just danced around it.  To expect such is pure arrogance, and SN's comment was completely accurate.




     Wow, I've entered bizarro land over here.  Look back at the thread, and you'll see he totally missed the point.

     

    It starts with me making the point that Apple is cutting many of us out as customers by releasing products that result in relentless comments of "This product is not for you™".  That's great, but in the case of the 2015 MacBook, where is the product that is for those of us who want pretty much the exact same thing, only with 1 more port?  Sorry, you either have to have a MBA with a sucky screen by comparison, or a MacBook Pro which is significantly larger and heavier.   Ok, that's fine, but for a lot of us, that means no new Mac purchase in 2015.

     

    Likewise, my point is extended into other products Apple has been doing this with lately.  Sorry, Photos.app "this product isn't for you™"... again, that's ok, but now anyone with prosumer or higher needs has to look for a 3rd party solution and a painful transition from Apple software.

     

    I'm not dancing around anything here.  The point is straightforward... whether it's having box between the Mac mini and the Mac Pro, or any number of these products "That aren't for you™", criticism that a product has limitations and Apple isn't providing a suitable solution for those outside of those limitations is entirely valid.

     

    It's totally missing the point to refer to products by other vendors that actually offer those solutions.  Just because whatever crappy ultrabook has multiple ports and can run Photoshop doesn't negate the fact that the new MacBook having only one USB-C port doesn't meet the needs of many of us... all in the name of reducing the size and weight and totally imperceptible amount.

     

    Quote:


    There will never be a single product that is perfect for every usage, every demographic, every task, without making compromises of one kind or another.


     

    No, of course not.  However, having one port on the new MacBook isn't a feature, it's a limitation.  It's a limitation that won't affect some people, but will greatly affect and turn away others.  Had Apple added that other port, it would've met the needs of far more people without turning anyone away due to the insignificant weight or size difference.

  • Reply 70 of 222
    Thanks for this piece. It's important, with "aspirational" products like this one, to identify situations where they do and don't work well. I appreciate the explanation of just how and why it wasn't always what you needed. It's not a machine for me, for several reasons, but this editorial helps me understand how to have a balanced conversation with friends who are thinking about getting one.

    Thoughtful, critical pieces like this one are the reason that I read AppleInsider.
  • Reply 71 of 222
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MrEdofCourse View Post

     



     Wow, I've entered bizarro land over here.  Look back at the thread, and you'll see he totally missed the point.

     

    It starts with me making the point that Apple is cutting many of us out as customers by releasing products that result in relentless comments of "This product is not for you™".  That's great, but in the case of the 2015 MacBook, where is the product that is for those of us who want pretty much the exact same thing, only with 1 more port?  Sorry, you either have to have a MBA with a sucky screen by comparison, or a MacBook Pro which is significantly larger and heavier.   Ok, that's fine, but for a lot of us, that means no new Mac purchase in 2015.

     

    Likewise, my point is extended into other products Apple has been doing this with lately.  Sorry, Photos.app "this product isn't for you™"... again, that's ok, but now anyone with prosumer or higher needs has to look for a 3rd party solution and a painful transition from Apple software.

     

    I'm not dancing around anything here.  The point is straightforward... whether it's having box between the Mac mini and the Mac Pro, or any number of these products "That aren't for you™", criticism that a product has limitations and Apple isn't providing a suitable solution for those outside of those limitations is entirely valid.

     

    It's totally missing the point to refer to products by other vendors that actually offer those solutions.  Just because whatever crappy ultrabook has multiple ports and can run Photoshop doesn't negate the fact that the new MacBook having only one USB-C port doesn't meet the needs of many of us... all in the name of reducing the size and weight and totally imperceptible amount.

     

     

    No, of course not.  However, having one port on the new MacBook isn't a feature, it's a limitation.  It's a limitation that won't affect some people, but will greatly affect and turn away others.  Had Apple added that other port, it would've met the needs of far more people without turning anyone away due to the insignificant weight or size difference.


     

    Your response is laden with constant "me, me, all about me" innuendos and assumptions, that because YOU don't like the fact it has only a single port, that this product is a FAILURE and that Apple is neglecting its customers? Are you for real? Ever heard the word "logic" and what it means? Because your statements are seriously lacking in any logical thought or foresight.

     

    This product isn't for everyone, and will be guaranteed to turn many people onto other products in the Apple lineup that are better suited to their needs, like the MBA and rMBP, get over it! This machine is targeting a very specific demographic, and usage-based end user, do you not comprehend that? Those users won't care if it has a single USB-C port; to them this will be more than sufficient, and it doesn't reflect any more poorly or positively on this machine.

     

    BTW, the imperceptible amount you mention regarding the weight of the rMB vs other models is DEFINITELY perceptible! Again, just because YOU can't feel the difference, doesn't mean that countless other users won't feel it! I sure as hell felt the difference the moment I picked one up!

  • Reply 72 of 222
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

     

     

     

    Not only does your logic completely fail, but your attitude is that every single product should address the needs of you, whatever those may be. Sorry, but that's a bit self-centred.

     

    Apple does a great job of identifying discrete groups with distinct needs and creating products that address their specific and unique requirements in the most perfect ways. To assume that you are a member of every single group while always holding the same criteria is utterly ridiculous. The fact one product isn't for you, means either that your needs aren't worthy of capitalism's attentions, or no one has (yet) had the good sense to create a product to address them.

     

    It's not incumbent upon Apple to build to your personal specifications. Sadly, people misunderstand this and demand Apple build them their own personal Homer, and criticise them when they don't.


     

    You just did the second stage of commenters after "This product is not for you™"... the old reliable, "Apple doesn't make products specifically for you, you self centered jerk".  That's great.  I know that, but look around.  Heck read the article you just commented on.  There are many of us complaining about the new MacBook because it comes so close to what we want, but then blew it with the tiny detail of only one USB-C port which makes it a deal breaker for many of us.

     

    Again, I get that not every product is for every person, but at some point it's worth addressing worthy criticism, instead of pretending that only having one port is a feature instead of a limitation.

     

    This isn't about developing a specific product that meets a specific use case.  Hey, iPads aren't for everyone, but they're great for what they do.  However, that's very different from conceptualizing two products... the MacBook they released, and the MacBook they didn't.  The MacBook they released excludes a lot of people who need more than one USB-C port.  The MacBook they didn't release (which would have more than one USB-C port), includes all of those people, at the "expense" of being imperceptibly greater in size/weight, not that anyone one have cared.

  • Reply 73 of 222

    Thanks, AI, for this honest review. I am sad to see that my apprehensions were correct: this new Macbook toy is over-priced and under-featured for my modest needs, which include some backwards-compatability.  And I, too, think the loss of mag-safe is a big deal.

  • Reply 74 of 222
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:



    Originally Posted by MrEdofCourse View Post

     

     

    You just did the second stage of commenters after "This product is not for you™"... the old reliable, "Apple doesn't make products specifically for you, you self centered jerk".  That's great.  I know that, but look around.  Heck read the article you just commented on.  There are many of us complaining about the new MacBook because it comes so close to what we want, but then blew it with the tiny detail of only one USB-C port which makes it a deal breaker for many of us.

     

    Again, I get that not every product is for every person, but at some point it's worth addressing worthy criticism, instead of pretending that only having one port is a feature instead of a limitation.

     

    This isn't about developing a specific product that meets a specific use case.  Hey, iPads aren't for everyone, but they're great for what they do.  However, that's very different from conceptualizing two products... the MacBook they released, and the MacBook they didn't.  The MacBook they released excludes a lot of people who need more than one USB-C port.  The MacBook they didn't release (which would have more than one USB-C port), includes all of those people, at the "expense" of being imperceptibly greater in size/weight, not that anyone one have cared.


     

    Guess what, you're not listening to what the vast majority of people here realize, but that the author, and you, don't, despite repeated attempts to get you to understand what this machine is, and how the lack of more than one port do not make it a failure to the masses, nor is it putting Apple in the position that it's no longer catering to their customers.

     

    If you can't move that past that point, then I wouldn't bother continuing this any further, as everyone here would become blue in the face giving you factual, logical reasons for why you're wrong, only to have you sit and pout going "But this isn't good for me, so it's not good for anyone".

  • Reply 75 of 222
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MrEdofCourse View Post

     

     

    You just did the second stage of commenters after "This product is not for you™"... the old reliable, "Apple doesn't make products specifically for you, you self centered jerk".  That's great.  I know that, but look around.  Heck read the article you just commented on.  There are many of us complaining about the new MacBook because it comes so close to what we want, but then blew it with the tiny detail of only one USB-C port which makes it a deal breaker for many of us.

     

    Again, I get that not every product is for every person, but at some point it's worth addressing worthy criticism, instead of pretending that only having one port is a feature instead of a limitation.

     

    This isn't about developing a specific product that meets a specific use case.  Hey, iPads aren't for everyone, but they're great for what they do.  However, that's very different from conceptualizing two products... the MacBook they released, and the MacBook they didn't.  The MacBook they released excludes a lot of people who need more than one USB-C port.  The MacBook they didn't release (which would have more than one USB-C port), includes all of those people, at the "expense" of being imperceptibly greater in size/weight, not that anyone one have cared.




    I would have cared.

     

    Shaving even a quarter of a pound off is perceptible. Apple shaved nearly a full pound going from the 13" Air to the 12" MB. That pound adds up quickly. I would love to carry around a two pound laptop instead of my three pound Air or five pound OldBook. I could carry around the MacBook and my iPad Air and have them weigh the same as a 13" Air. That is progress.

  • Reply 76 of 222
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

     

    Thanks, AI, for this honest review. I am sad to see that my apprehensions were correct: this new Macbook toy is over-priced and under-featured for my modest needs, which include some backwards-compatability.  And I, too, think the loss of mag-safe is a big deal.




    There is nothing stopping you from going to get a more powerful machine then. Why label this as a toy, when in fact, countless thousands of users will flock to this machine and do the tasks they need to without complaining, or thinking of it as a toy?

  • Reply 77 of 222
    I hope this reviewer does not get paid for writing this garbage. Buy a cable, or use a camera with wi-fi
    Geez
  • Reply 78 of 222
    This is like complaining that a motorcycle doesn't have a glove compartment.
  • Reply 79 of 222
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

     



    What are you, 12 years old? Bizarro land?!

     

    Your response is laden with constant "me, me, all about me"


     

    You do a great job of imagining words that aren't there.  I only used the word "me" once, and that was in reference to the thread starting with me.  As I mentioned before, this obviously isn't just my criticism, look around the comments on every review, as well as the reviews themselves.  Heck, look at this very article that you're commenting on.

     

    Quote:


    YOU don't like the fact it has only a single port, that this product is a FAILURE and that Apple is neglecting its customers? Are you for real? Ever heard the word "logic" and what it means? Because your statements are seriously lacking in any logical thought or foresight.


     

    This quote cracks me up because you're saying that I'm calling the product a failure, and asking if I've ever heard of the word logic before.  Where exactly did I say that the new MacBook would be a failure?  I didn't.  I think the new MacBook will sell well enough.  I would even recommend it to people I know who would never be likely to plug things into it and want a better screen than the MacBook Air offers.

     

    What I'm saying is that it's valid criticism that there's only one USB-C port on it, and this will exclude many buyers who find that it doesn't meet their needs.  Meanwhile, the MacBook that they really want doesn't exist.

     

    Quote:


    BTW, the imperceptible amount you mention regarding the weight of the rMB vs other models is DEFINITELY perceptible! Again, just because YOU can't feel the difference, doesn't mean that countless other users won't feel it! I sure as hell felt the difference the moment I picked one up!


     

    Read what I wrote again.  I wrote it a couple of times.  It's the size/weight difference that would be on the new MacBook itself, not the size/weight difference between the new MacBook and other models.  That's the whole point.  Saying that other people can just choose a different MacBook means that they either have to go with one with a much lesser display or go with one that is significantly larger and heavier.  However adding an additional USB-C port on the new MacBook would've added an insignificant amount of size/weight.

     

    TL;DR: Don't confuse one point of valid criticism of a product with someone saying it's going to fail or any other hyperbole.

  • Reply 80 of 222
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

     



    I would have cared.

     

    Shaving even a quarter of a pound off is perceptible. Apple shaved nearly a full pound going from the 13" Air to the 12" MB. That pound adds up quickly. I would love to carry around a two pound laptop instead of my three pound Air or five pound OldBook. I could carry around the MacBook and my iPad Air and have them weigh the same as a 13" Air. That is progress.


     

    Do you really think that a USB-C port weighs anywhere close to a quarter of a pound? 

     

    Hint: they weigh far less than the adapters.

Sign In or Register to comment.