Apple Watch wrist detection failing with some tattoos, users complain

Comments

• Reply 161 of 214
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    sog35 wrote: »

Oh so you are calling me a jackass now?  Not a good look for a tattoo activist.
    Zzzz

Whether one has a tattoo or not means very little to me. I have none myself, but I'm not about to judge anyone who does.

however, asisine statements such as yours... Well, let's put it this way: you certainly leave an impression.

If the watch doesn't work for inked people I think that's too bad. Like most have said before, people make choices and choices have consequences.

But in not going to get all pissy about whether one actually has a tatt or not.
  • Reply 162 of 214
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by starshaker View Post

You seem to be under the illusion that people get tattoos to show them off.  Yeah maybe some people do but not all.  I have a number of tattoos and will never be embarrassed or ashamed of them.  The remind me of important life choices.  You have no idea of the reasons people tattoo.  Mine can all be covered if I choose to.  I am not a criminal.  I am not a junkie nor am I uneducated.  My tattoos are a part of me.  

You are judging something you have no idea about 

Yes, I AM judging.

You see, when I hire someone, I am putting MY NECK on the line. That person I hire will represent me, represent my judgment, my company, my ability to make decisions, my integrity and my future.

You made the decision to identify yourself as a common thug, as a drug user, a criminal, a gang member. This was your decision, not mine. Whether you are one, or aren't - that's not the issue. You opted to identify yourself as a parasite - and that is exactly what these people are. Criminals, drug abusers, thugs, gang members are all parasites upon society. Without society to support them, they would die.

Now, you expect me to blindly place you - an unknown - on equal footing with someone who has opted to NOT identify himself as a parasite. And, then you somehow get the audacity to claim that I am being unfair?

Excuse me, I have a responsibility to others, besides you. I have responsibilities to my management, my co-workers, my customers and to a family that likes to have a home and occasionally eat a meal. Would you dye your hair neon pink and apply for a job, and then demand to be hired? Same thing - I will base my decision upon your background, your experience, your training and also on how I feel you will fit into my team.

If I ran a lawn service, painting company or a construction firm; there may be one set of standards. But, in the professional arena there are different standards. Welcome to Life 101
  • Reply 163 of 214
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Hodar View Post

Quote:

You seem to be under the illusion that people get tattoos to show them off.  Yeah maybe some people do but not all.  I have a number of tattoos and will never be embarrassed or ashamed of them.  The remind me of important life choices.  You have no idea of the reasons people tattoo.  Mine can all be covered if I choose to.  I am not a criminal.  I am not a junkie nor am I uneducated.  My tattoos are a part of me.  

Yes, I AM judging.

You see, when I hire someone, I am putting MY NECK on the line. That person I hire will represent me, represent my judgment, my company, my ability to make decisions, my integrity and my future.

You made the decision to identify yourself as a common thug, as a drug user, a criminal, a gang member. This was your decision, not mine. Whether you are one, or aren't - that's not the issue. You opted to identify yourself as a parasite - and that is exactly what these people are. Criminals, drug abusers, thugs, gang members are all parasites upon society. Without society to support them, they would die.

Now, you expect me to blindly place you - an unknown - on equal footing with someone who has opted to NOT identify himself as a parasite. And, then you somehow get the audacity to claim that I am being unfair?

Excuse me, I have a responsibility to others, besides you. I have responsibilities to my management, my co-workers, my customers and to a family that likes to have a home and occasionally eat a meal. Would you dye your hair neon pink and apply for a job, and then demand to be hired? Same thing - I will base my decision upon your background, your experience, your training and also on how I feel you will fit into my team.

If I ran a lawn service, painting company or a construction firm; there may be one set of standards. But, in the professional arena there are different standards. Welcome to Life 101

I'm curious as to how you would even know I am tattooed.  Would it be asked in your little interview?  Again my hair was neon pink and my employer had no issue with it whatsoever.  I actually only ever had positive comments about my hair but that is not the issue here.  I am heavily tattooed but they are able to be covered if i choose to

• Reply 164 of 214
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Again I'm not judging people who choose to have tattoo's.  I'm just saying tattoo's have a stigma. 

That really depends on the situation. In business it can certainly impact your ability to advance. You could be overlooked for promotion by conservatives who are often in decision making positions of power. If someone tattoos their face, it is probably going to be pretty difficult to get a job even washing dishes. If you are a millionaire sports or music sensation, well....

• Reply 165 of 214
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I'm a little disappointed. All these posts and no Herve Villechaize jokes?
  • Reply 166 of 214
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Interesting. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen an ?Watch on a non-white wrist.

Doh! Right. So was Pharell, and Drake. I was just thinking about those I've seen from actual customers since the launch. No "average" customers wearing one that wasn't white. I'm sure they will turn up though ...

This does make you wonder what criteria the sensors are using to determine what constitutes a real wrist, and how easy it would be to circumvent.

But Apple will have to deal with this, a lot of those celebrities from whom they are seeking endorsements have arm tattoos... ;-)

Melanin and whatever crap there is in those inks, don't have the same masking effect :-).

• Reply 167 of 214
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,254member
    I'm sorry to hear people are having problems. I have one small tattoo, done by a buddy in plain India ink. I never bothered to get any others, and after reading that "ingredient list" posted way earlier, I am so glad I did not.
  • Reply 168 of 214
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by websnap View Post

Quote:

I have never seen a tattoo that makes me think MORE of a person. This is why many people get tattoos that they can hide, because a person with visible tattoos does not convey a person who respects himself, and if a person does not respect himself - what would make me think he will respect me, my finances, my business or my best interests?

I have a tattoo but no one can see it (shoulder, hidden by t-shirt sleeve) and that is a personal choice, as was the choice to get one, as is your opinion of people with body art. You are choosing to think that way. There are plenty of people with no tattoos who will disrespect you, your business and your best interests, but because they may not have THAT distinguishing feature, maybe they are more difficult to remember for you.

It’s easy to associate something bad with particular people when they have something to make them stand out. We forget those that do us harm that blend in – could be something for you to work on.

I am particular with the crowds I associate myself with. I am upwardly successful, I have done well with my career, I have made 'mostly' wise decisions. One key to success is do not intentionally do things that make you look like a reject.

When you cover yourself with "body art" ( or vandalize your skin with trash - eye of the beholder viewpoint), you associate yourself with low class gang members, prison inmates, circus freaks, bikers and groups bent on criminal activity; you then express outrage that "how dare I judge you".

You judged yourself - you said, non-verbally "I have no respect for myself, and no respect for my body."

They are called "Tramp Stamps" for a reason. There is an entire medical industry being built on this phenomena of short-sighted, non-critical thinking crowd. You pay a few bucks to a low talent hack to get them installed, and major bucks to a trained professional to have them removed.

The amount of assumptions in this response are too much to count...but I'll try.

1. One key to success is do not intentionally do things that make you look like a reject. (I also have a great career with several visible tattoos.)

2. you associate yourself with low class gang members, prison inmates, circus freaks, bikers and groups bent on criminal activity (I assure you that for most, a tattoo has nothing to do with associating with anyone and is a choice for them. Not all cases, but I would bet most cases are this way.)

3. "I have no respect for myself, and no respect for my body." (Did I miss this part? I can't find it anywhere...I don't believe the user said this.)

4. Tramp stamps are referring to the area above your back, not all tattoos.

Assumptions are deadly. They cause misunderstandings and are the same seed that racism comes from. I am not saying that you are racist. But telling someone their intentions and what they are thinking and what they look like is assuming. Asking questions will not come off offensive. Asking someone their purpose of getting a tattoo, finding out what they do for a living...these are not assumptions. You are lumping a group of people and putting a label "I have no respect for myself, and no respect for my body." on us. I assure you that I LOVE myself and I LOVE my tattoos. You can not like tattoos personally all you want but to judge someone because they do is ass backwards, especially in 2015. Wake up or this world isn't for you. Tattoos are becoming more and more acceptable.

AGAIN, I have a great career where I will probably be for a very low time and I showed up to the interview with my tattoos showing. I have also never tried drugs and drink occasionally, no history of alcohol abuse or murder like the "gang members, prison inmates, circus freaks, bikers and groups bent on criminal activity" you may assume about.  BONUS thought: I also have piercings. Try not to judge me.

• Reply 169 of 214
    afrodriafrodri Posts: 190member
    Quote:

If you want to see hordes of tattoos, visit a homeless shelter, or maybe a drug rehab, maybe volunteer to feed the poor or help out at a half-way house where felons are re-associated with society. You will see gobs of really "meaningful" tattoos. Visit a biker bar - oh, there are stories to go with those tattoos. Lived outside Sturgis, so I have seen my share.

I think your demographics of who gets tattoos are a little outdated – about 23% of adults have tattoos, and almost 40% of those age 18-29 do. (source: http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files/2010/10/millennials-confident-connected-open-to-change.pdf)

Unless you think that 40% of people under 30 are homeless / felons / drug addicts / bikers...  Adults age 18-29 with tattoos are less likely to have attended college, but with almost a third of college attendees having tattoos, I don't think tattoos are a niche practice which is limited to the fringes of society.

Particularly at tech companies which tend to have a younger population, there are a lot of tattoos.

• Reply 170 of 214
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I'm a little disappointed. All these posts and no Herve Villechaize jokes?

I've heard some complaints about him as well.  :smokey:

• Reply 171 of 214
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

"You made the decision to identify yourself as a common thug, as a drug user, a criminal, a gang member.'

No, you made the judgement absent anything but appearance. Which would give ME greater pause about your competence than would anyone with simply a tattoo. But then again, being in bio research, facts matter to me and I see as potentially unreliable anyone who just jumps to conclusions based on superficial items.  What's next, cufflinks that are too small? Or too big? Or the "wrong" material? That sort of distraction, that loss of focus to irrelevancies, raises a lot of questions about competence.

Funny, after a certain age my first reaction on seeing a tattoo would be to be curious what branch of the military they served with. The "Greatest Generation" was fond of them and that's come back in recent decades, maybe something to do with combat service? Unclear.

• Reply 172 of 214
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    cia wrote: »
    Jesus tapdancing christ people! Today I learned Appleinsider commenters are narrow minded as hell.

I'd probably hire someone with a large tattoo over a non-tattood person. Shows they will take risk and don't gave a f*ck what others think. Admirable qualities when surrounded by lemmings.

Yeah it makes me wonder why I visit this site anymore. Majority of AI posters seem to be ultra-conservative fanatics that think Apple can do no wrong. Well mannered reasonable and rational discussions are rare to non existent. Conversation usually rapidly decends into a blame game and flame war.

I'm not saying Apple did any wrong here. I feel the calm and rational response would be: "Apple didn't highlight tattooes as a potential issue so they should probably offer refunds to those who are affected or disappointed in its performance and want to return it, and I'm sure they will."
  • Reply 173 of 214
    Quote:

Don't read words into what I wrote - and I'll return the favor, ok?

If you want to see hordes of tattoos, visit a homeless shelter, or maybe a drug rehab, maybe volunteer to feed the poor or help out at a half-way house where felons are re-associated with society. You will see gobs of really "meaningful" tattoos. Visit a biker bar - oh, there are stories to go with those tattoos. Lived outside Sturgis, so I have seen my share.

You see lots of tattoos among the gangs, too. We have more than our share where I live now.

So much to be admired - why, makes you just want to be just like them, doesn't it?

Life is hard, we work hard to earn a living. Some of us went to college, and worked while we did that. Some of us went on to graduate and work R&D, having to prove ourselves every day on the job. Every deed, every word we did, defined us to our peers, to management and to our customers.

Why would you handicap yourself, by identifying yourself as someone typically regarded as "undependable"? You see, I would much rather start out as a ZERO and work my way up, than as a NEGATIVE and hope to work up to ZERO. Sorry, but welcome to Life 101.

What you wrote is one of the most idiotic and narrow-minded things I have ever read.  Why don't you substitute the word tattoos with "blacks" and see how that reads.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of black men in jail, but that doesn't make every black man "undependable", to use your word.  There are a lot of us out there with college degrees, raising families, and contributing to society.  The same goes for people who have tattoos.   Don't judge a book by it's cover. 

• Reply 174 of 214

Oh ... so now tattoo is now a code for "black".

What is it with bigots and throwing race around?  Are you that insecure about yourself that this is the only way you feel you can make a point?  Are you that shallow, that incompetent, that untalented that the ONLY WAY you can make an issue work for you, is to throw down a card that says "I am special - you cannot argue with me"?  

Sorry - it shows you for what you are.  A bigot.

If you haven't figured it out yet, we all compete against each other.  I doubt you would look to take a home loan out with a loan officer covered in tattoos, I know I wouldn't.  Nor would I consult with a lawyer covered in them. I might hire a lawn mowing service, but certainly not a professional service, or would I have a professional work for me that was covered in tattoos.  

If you opt to present yourself as a circus freak, do not expect everyone else to treat you as anything other than a circus freak.  I judge a man by the content of his character, and if you cover your body with tattoos - well, you have told me something about the content of your character.  And I will judge you accordingly.  Welcome to Life101

This may come as a shock to you - but there are a lot of black men in jail, because a lot of black men commit crimes.  There seems to be a strong correlation between committing crimes and being found guilty in a court .... weird, huh?  

• Reply 175 of 214
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by afrodri View Post

Quote:

I think your demographics of who gets tattoos are a little outdated – about 23% of adults have tattoos, and almost 40% of those age 18-29 do. (source: http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files/2010/10/millennials-confident-connected-open-to-change.pdf)

Unless you think that 40% of people under 30 are homeless / felons / drug addicts / bikers...  Adults age 18-29 with tattoos are less likely to have attended college, but with almost a third of college attendees having tattoos, I don't think tattoos are a niche practice which is limited to the fringes of society.

Particularly at tech companies which tend to have a younger population, there are a lot of tattoos.

http://www.annalsofepidemiology.org/article/S1047-2797(11)00287-0/abstract?cc=y 

This is dated October 3, 2011 and gives the following Results:

A total of 14.5% of respondents had ever been tattooed, and 2.4% of respondents had been tattooed in the year before the interview. Men were more likely than women to report a tattoo, but the highest rates of tattooing were found among women in their 20s (29.4%). Men and women ages 20–39 were most likely to have been tattooed, as were men with lower levels of education, tradesmen, and women with live-out partners. Tattooing was also associated with risk-taking behaviours, including smoking, greater numbers of lifetime sexual partners, cannabis use (women only) and ever having depression (men only).

Not a glowing endorsement.  There is a negative bias for a reason.

• Reply 176 of 214

I am not saying you are a "bad" person.

What I am saying "repeatedly" is that you present yourself poorly.  When you show up at the interview, you hope to start off at ZERO and leave with some positive value.  When you show up at the interview presenting yourself with tattoos, perhaps neon hair, or other "self-expression", you begin the interview in the NEGATIVE.  You then work your way UP to ZERO and hopefully at the end of the interview, you leave with a positive number.

How many potential jobs did you not get offered?  Perhaps instead of getting an offer of the job you had, you were being considered for a management position - but you disqualified yourself from that possibility by virtue of your tattoo?

Depending upon the position, there are some jobs that a visible tattoo will absolutely prevent you from getting.  A tattoo will never, ever get you a job; but it can certainly shut the door on a potential job.

• Reply 177 of 214

No one is going to ask if you are tattooed.  If it's not visible, then it doesn't matter.

However, with the hair - how many jobs did you disqualify yourself from, before you found this employer?  How many opportunities have you cheated yourself out of, because you opted to look like a circus freak, instead of a professional?  Do you think this is setting up a stigma that will follow you for years after your hair returns to a "professional" look?  

Odds are, you have set your own career back by 5-7 years by your choices.  That's fine, I'm sure your co-workers will cheer you on; you made their jobs that much easier.  You do not see Senior Managers of any company dressing like a circus freak; and there is a reason for that.

But, you do what ever make you happy.  Just hope there are no RIF's; because somewhere, some manager has a list of "keepers".  Your behavior is cutting your own throat.  Mock me now; but some day when you are crying - think of this friendly piece of advice.  

"Wild colored hair is great in High School, perhaps during college .... but when you are a professional .... act the professional; or be prepared for some unnecessary misery".  Life101

• Reply 178 of 214
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    Quote:

Quote:

Yes, I AM judging.

If you have that mentality towards dependable, educated, professional people that have body art, I got a good one for you then.  I too am in a position of hiring people.  If I had to choose between an arrogant, clueless person versus a tastefully tattooed individual with the technical caliber necessary to do the job, guess what... they wouldn't even get past the lobby reception desk.  I've dealt with personalities like yours.  Stay safe in your bubble.  The world outside your bubblewrapped office is more than just tattooed latino gang members.

Wow... I'm done with you. If you get along with your team, they are totally playing up to you and probably think the same why I do.  You have zero charisma to be someone in a position to hire qualified people.

But hey, obviously to you everyone with a butterfly tattoo on their thigh surely did time in San Quentin.

Thanks for the entertainment.

• Reply 179 of 214
    Quote:

Oh ... so now tattoo is now a code for "black".

What is it with bigots and throwing race around?  Are you that insecure about yourself that this is the only way you feel you can make a point?  Are you that shallow, that incompetent, that untalented that the ONLY WAY you can make an issue work for you, is to throw down a card that says "I am special - you cannot argue with me"?  

Sorry - it shows you for what you are.  A bigot.

If you haven't figured it out yet, we all compete against each other.  I doubt you would look to take a home loan out with a loan officer covered in tattoos, I know I wouldn't.  Nor would I consult with a lawyer covered in them. I might hire a lawn mowing service, but certainly not a professional service, or would I have a professional work for me that was covered in tattoos.  

If you opt to present yourself as a circus freak, do not expect everyone else to treat you as anything other than a circus freak.  I judge a man by the content of his character, and if you cover your body with tattoos - well, you have told me something about the content of your character.  And I will judge you accordingly.  Welcome to Life101

This may come as a shock to you - but there are a lot of black men in jail, because a lot of black men commit crimes.  There seems to be a strong correlation between committing crimes and being found guilty in a court .... weird, huh?  

I didn't say black was code for anything.  I was using it to show you how ignorant you are to past judgement on someone based on appearances.  No different than someone who is racist.  And who said anything about being "special"? I am very confident in my abilities, and extremely proud of what I have accomplished in my life.  And if in your eyes, that makes me "special", then that is YOUR issue.  But you still don't get it...as long as you continue to past judgement on people based on their appearance YOU will always be the bigot.

• Reply 180 of 214
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Thanks for the entertainment.  You're a perfect example of why Darwinism is necessary.

That certainly seems uncalled for.