Apple efforts to end free streaming music on Spotify, YouTube spur DOJ inquiry - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I am suspect that this went something like this. Apple said if you going at allow everyone else to stream free content then you have to allow us as well, also your price to Apple can not be any hire that what you providing to others.

This got turned into Apple is trying to convince music labels to turn off free stream to spotify and others since the music labels told spotify and others they they would no longer allow free streaming, otherwise they would have to allow apple as well and they do not want to do that.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    I am suspect that this went something like this. Apple said if you going at allow everyone else to stream free content then you have to allow us as well, also your price to Apple can not be any hire that what you providing to others.
    Isn't Apple's current streaming service, iRadio, "free"?
  • Reply 23 of 47

Willie Sutton used to say he robbed banks because that's where the money is.  Everyone has discovered that Apple is where the money is and it's become an easy target.  The DOJ will pass over smaller real monopolies to go after Apple because it would be a very high profile take-down.  I was certain that music artists would be happy to get rid of those freemium tiers and Apple is doing them a favor.  Don't get me wrong, I really do like Spotify's free service.  The ads don't bother me at all as long as I can eventually listen to a whole album I'd like to hear.  So, I wouldn't think Apple would actually have to pressure the music labels to end freemium services.  I don't think Apple has the power to force the music labels to do anything.  If the DOJ wants to look in on this rumor, that's just fine, but I doubt they'll find anything to frame Apple with.  There's plenty of free music on Google and I don't see the DOJ going after Google.  That's just fine with me because I'll continue to Hijack music from Google's Youtube as long as it's available.

• Reply 24 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Lies, damn lies, and anonymous sources. Cote's buddy is monitoring Apple currently and is charging an astronomical fee to read the WSJ. Why would Apple do such a thing? It's lies from competitors and/or Apple enemies.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    I hope that Apple's executives are not so Stupid as to talk about their competitors in discussion with the music industry. So stupid. Hasn't EDDIE learned from the book industry debacle yet? If not he is an idiot and should be fired.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Steffen Jobbs View Post

Willie Sutton used to say he robbed banks because that's where the money is.  Everyone has discovered that Apple is where the money is and it's become an easy target.  The DOJ will pass over smaller real monopolies to go after Apple because it would be a very high profile take-down.  I was certain that music artists would be happy to get rid of those freemium tiers and Apple is doing them a favor.  Don't get me wrong, I really do like Spotify's free service.  The ads don't bother me at all as long as I can eventually listen to a whole album I'd like to hear.  So, I wouldn't think Apple would actually have to pressure the music labels to end freemium services.  I don't think Apple has the power to force the music labels to do anything.  If the DOJ wants to look in on this rumor, that's just fine, but I doubt they'll find anything to frame Apple with.  There's plenty of free music on Google and I don't see the DOJ going after Google.  That's just fine with me because I'll continue to Hijack music from Google's Youtube as long as it's available.

Apple should just move their HQ to another country that appreciates them, since the US gvt is always trying to take Apple down and would prefer to promote companies like Samsung. 

• Reply 27 of 47
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

I hope that Apple's executives are not so Stupid as to talk about their competitors in discussion with the music industry. So stupid. Hasn't EDDIE learned from the book industry debacle yet? If not he is an idiot and should be fired.

Something tells me that Eddie is a million times smarter than you are.

I like you used the word stupid TWICE, as well as "idiot", then questioned why he hasn't learned anything, and called for his firing, all on some assumtion you just pulled out of your ass based on anonymous reporting with zero details. Well done!

• Reply 28 of 47
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Right....well, at least you got Mountain View to like that post.

<edit> wrong post reply</edit>

• Reply 29 of 47
    slurpy wrote: »
    Apple should just move their HQ to another country that appreciates them, since the US gvt is always trying to take Apple down and would prefer to promote companies like Samsung. 
    Perhaps someplace in Europe? Nah, that won't work either. . .
    There's always China. Wait, not sure about that one now that I think about it. Where would you suggest? Personally I don't think they can do any better than the US, short of establishing their own country where they answer to no one. Is that possible?
  • Reply 30 of 47
    waterrocketswaterrockets Posts: 1,231member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I don't think he's disputing your post as being factual. Sometimes all that's left is "shoot the messenger". image

It would have been more interesting to learn something big that I didn't know about these policies, but it looks like you're correct.

• Reply 31 of 47
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Anti- competitive? What BS! Free in fact is anti-competitive! The music companies have been absolute morons allowing free streaming. It's not a business model, it's a death spiral for artists and song writers who are making next to nothing from these hacks building free businesses on the backs of the artists.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    So this is what Google's lobbying dollars are going to these days. Because Amazon does't really have much of a stick in the fire here.

And the labels want to drop the free options more than anything else.

This undoubtedly is also Amazon beating the drum based on th
    It would be nice if the DOJ was as interested in the shenanigans in the banking/financial world as they are in ebook prices and streaming music.

That's for sure! The financial institutions created the worst global economic disaster since the Great Depression through their fraudulent practices...
    I thought of Bromwich but remembered he recently field a report stating a breakdown in cooperation from Apple. Also he is supposed to be focused on eBooks... Hmmm... And, improving Apple's antitrust ethics. Oh boy!

And here comes another $100,000 invoice from him for taking time to read the Verge and then all the other articles that pick up the story!
  • Reply 33 of 47
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

Uh, what company mentioned in this article isn't cutthroat all the way to the top?

• Reply 34 of 47
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Isn't Apple's current streaming service, iRadio, "free"?

Apparently not for long, if Apple has its way.

• Reply 35 of 47
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Google will be found innocent of capturing and reselling customer data because it is offering a free service.

And what free service would that be?
  • Reply 36 of 47
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member

So the DOJ is okay with cable companies that force content providers (like HBO, until recently, and others) to not offer streaming services unless the customer is also subscribing to their cable channel but this is a problem?

Clearly Apple needs to increase it lobbying/political payoff budget.

-kpluck

• Reply 37 of 47
    kpluck wrote: »
    So the DOJ is okay with cable companies that force content providers (like HBO, until recently, and others) to not offer streaming services unless the customer is also subscribing to their cable channel but this is a problem?

Clearly Apple needs to increase it lobbying/political payoff budget.

-kpluck
    Was it the cable companies forcing it? I figured HBO and others were just chasing the money but maybe you're correct. Wonder how HBO got around it.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    eldernormeldernorm Posts: 232member
    ". Record labels appear to have balked, likely worried that increased subscription numbers wouldn't compensate for missing per-subscription revenue."

But, But earlier in the article the writer says "As it prepares to launch a new streaming music service, Apple is said to be pressuring music labels to force rivals like Spotify to abandon their free tiers %u2014 something that has apparently brought scrutiny from the U.S. Department of Justice."

So Apple is so very powerful that it gets what ever it wants, well, except for all the times it does not get what it wants.

Double speak for hits???
  • Reply 39 of 47
    FYI, a note I'd come across on an investor site, and not specifically anything to do with Apple or their plans:

"A lot of changes are in the offing with the DoJ reviewing the rates to be charged by publishers, the Copyright Review Board looking to make revisions in the statutory royalty rate paid to labels and artists, and the Congress considering recommendations of the U.S. Copyright Office calling for U.S. terrestrial radio to pay not just song writers and publishers but also artists for the first time"
  • Reply 40 of 47
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Better for tge artists.. Who already make next to nothing from these streaming services '