Over a week after launch, Apple Watch still draws long line of buyers at Colette in Paris

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

I'm sure that Apple wishes they didn't have supply issues and could move the watches a lot faster than they are moving, but given the situation with low supply, I think they did the right thing with regard to the launch.  And I don't care whether some scalpers (like you) make some profit nor if Apple lets it happen.

No that's not what I'm saying at all. Supply problems aren't the issue in my mind. The problem is that Apple is servicing these select elitist boutiques, with full inventory for all the customers they can handle in a day since the launch, while they turn their own customers away at the door. Apple apparently flat out lied when they issued a statement that "no stores" would have inventory on April 24th, when what they meant was no Apple Stores would. Then they very quietly supplied all of these elitist fashion boutiques with all the inventory they could handle, along with Apple reps to make sure the watches were being handled correctly. So the very presence of an Apple rep condones the behavior of these stores as partners of Apples, by Apple. What Apple should have done was make all parties play by the same rules. No inventory at the Apple Store, no problem, no inventory at any store. The customers at Maxfield and Colette, et al could go into the stores to pre-order the watch just like they have to do at the Apple Store, and wait 4-6 weeks to arrive. But seemingly by this behavior, Apple doesn't care about their own customers, they are focused on pulling in the fashionista elites, and in the process sending the fanboi lines to these luxury establishments turning otherwise sedate high end merchants with select clientele into a three ring circus of customers who couldn't otherwise afford to buy a necktie at these places. And in the process, likely keeping their discreet clients away. This is what Apple wanted, otherwise why is it happening? So I'm not at all concerned about profiting off of this mess Apple created. They've set up this fiasco, so there's no reason not to take advantage of it. It would be like Apple putting a pile of money on a shelf in the Apple store and allowing anybody who was tall enough to reach it to take it, and then walking away from it.

• Reply 22 of 56
    stanhopestanhope Posts: 160member
    Two words say it all FIRE ANGELA!
  • Reply 23 of 56
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    stanhope wrote: »
    Two words say it all FIRE ANGELA!

are you able to construct a logical sentence or five, explaining such a nonsensical statement?
  • Reply 24 of 56
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Really sad to see people waiting for weeks to get their watch while others are buying them to flip them right away and make a fast buck....

Not that there's anything wrong with that. ????
  • Reply 25 of 56
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Not that there's anything wrong with that. ????

Well I think there is something wrong with that. Especially when coming to a site like this to brag about,
  • Reply 26 of 56
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Apple apparently flat out lied when they issued a statement that "no stores" would have inventory on April 24th, when what they meant was no Apple Stores would.

unless im mistaken, the statements youre referring to are the head of Apple Stores retail speaking to her staff in memos and video. her staff. her staff in her stores. she doesnt run these other stores owned by other people, so those are not her stores. thus....she didnt lie.

if i had to guess id say somewhere at apple they signed a deal to supply these partners with inventory from launch, and that theyre fulfilling this obligation since its very easy to do since they are so few and represent so little inventory.

im still so very perplexed by your deep concern for a product you claim to not be interested in, do not want, and expect to fail.
  • Reply 27 of 56
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well I think there is something wrong with that. Especially when coming to a site like this to brag about,

I see nothing wrong with it at all. Are you saying you've never sold anything that you bought before. I buy and sell products all the time. So what if I buy it new knowing I can sell it at a higher margin. That's pretty much what Apple is doing. Buying material and selling a watch for profit. It's called supply and demand and it's great.

• Reply 28 of 56
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Apple screwed up this launch bigtime!
  • Reply 29 of 56
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

Scummy little scalpers bragging about taking.  Legal or not, says a lot about their character.  "Douchebags" is front-and-center for these kids.

Even with that, the demand is pretty amazing considering the doomsday scenarios spewed by a couple sad now-banned trolls.... which still come and read the news that prove just how ignorant and clueless they really are.

• Reply 30 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Personally I'm not bragging about it. I'm making a point. Apple totally screwed the pooch on this launch, and I'm not talking about constrained supply, I'm talking about the customer relations and the retail partners they climbed into bed with. Apple is a big grown up company and they have created this embarrassing situation that is alienating some customers, and likely irritating the high end fashion retail partners they have been bending over backwards to accommodate. The fact Apple is basically encouraging scalpers to snatch up all the available watches and sell them for more than twice the retail price by the presence of Apple representatives on site at these retail partners, who are doing nothing to enforce Apple policies in place elsewhere.

• Reply 31 of 56
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member

Personally I'm not bragging about it. I'm making a point. Apple totally screwed the pooch on this launch, and I'm not talking about constrained supply, I'm talking about the customer relations and the retail partners they climbed into bed with.

LOL! Have you noticed that the "outrage" over the rollout is not shared by the Apple fans that you are so concerned about? The people who post incessantly about this "disaster" are the same people who complain incessantly about Apple in general.

It's pathetic, really.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    unless im mistaken, the statements youre referring to are the head of Apple Stores retail speaking to her staff in memos and video. her staff. her staff in her stores. she doesnt run these other stores owned by other people, so those are not her stores. thus....she didnt lie.

if i had to guess id say somewhere at apple they signed a deal to supply these partners with inventory from launch, and that theyre fulfilling this obligation since its very easy to do since they are so few and represent so little inventory.

im still so very perplexed by your deep concern for a product you claim to not be interested in, do not want, and expect to fail.

Interesting theory you have there about a deal they made with these stores before they knew their taptic engine supplier was having problems. Even if it isn't so, it makes sense for them to seed some few thousands to high-end customers as a kind of advertising. And if they only can spare a few thousand, it would make no sense at all to move them through their own high-traffic store system.
  • Reply 33 of 56
    bageljoey wrote: »
    LOL! Have you noticed that the "outrage" over the rollout is not shared by the Apple fans that you are so concerned about? The people who post incessantly about this "disaster" are the same people who complain incessantly about Apple in general.

It's pathetic, really.

And in this case, the complainer was second only to Benjamin Frost in ragging on the Watch pre-launch.
  • Reply 34 of 56
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

To the folks that were around here for the original iPhone launch:

Were the naysayers back then as quick to sh!t on a thread as these nowadays? 

I just can't understand how a new product can be so polarizing.

• Reply 35 of 56

No that's not what I'm saying at all. Supply problems aren't the issue in my mind. The problem is that Apple is servicing these select elitist boutiques, with full inventory for all the customers they can handle in a day since the launch, while they turn their own customers away at the door. Apple apparently flat out lied when they issued a statement that "no stores" would have inventory on April 24th, when what they meant was no Apple Stores would. Then they very quietly supplied all of these elitist fashion boutiques with all the inventory they could handle, along with Apple reps to make sure the watches were being handled correctly. So the very presence of an Apple rep condones the behavior of these stores as partners of Apples, by Apple. What Apple should have done was make all parties play by the same rules. No inventory at the Apple Store, no problem, no inventory at any store. The customers at Maxfield and Colette, et al could go into the stores to pre-order the watch just like they have to do at the Apple Store, and wait 4-6 weeks to arrive. But seemingly by this behavior, Apple doesn't care about their own customers, they are focused on pulling in the fashionista elites, and in the process sending the fanboi lines to these luxury establishments turning otherwise sedate high end merchants with select clientele into a three ring circus of customers who couldn't otherwise afford to buy a necktie at these places. And in the process, likely keeping their discreet clients away. This is what Apple wanted, otherwise why is it happening? So I'm not at all concerned about profiting off of this mess Apple created. They've set up this fiasco, so there's no reason not to take advantage of it. It would be like Apple putting a pile of money on a shelf in the Apple store and allowing anybody who was tall enough to reach it to take it, and then walking away from it.

Circulating through this mealy-mouthed apologia is an unhinged soul looking for moorings, and not finding any.

I asked you before, who do you think you are, if others doing the same thing as you are "mobsters"? Here you talk about the three-ring circus of customers, likely keeping their discreet clients away. So wouldn't that make you one of the clowns in the circus? How do you live with your smarmy self? I'm beginning to think you're getting paid to say these things, because normally people show a little more shame when tangling themselves up in sleaze like this.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    Apple totally screwed the pooch on this launch, and I'm not talking about constrained supply, I'm talking about the customer relations and the retail partners they climbed into bed with. Apple is a big grown up company and they have created this embarrassing situation that is alienating some customers,

um, im gonna say no...not really. i think thats the narrative youve painted in your head, but i dont think it represents reality. i dont know anyone who feels "alienated" about it -- most of the people i know arent zero-day early adopters, and are pretty cautious about new stuff. the hardcore techs like myself read these sites and understand the constraint problem. and we can put new toys in perspective -- not life threatening, not anything to feel alienated over. leaving nobody to feel alienated.

the neighborhood kids, maybe? are they on the lawn again? damn those kids!
  • Reply 37 of 56
    bageljoey wrote: »

this. the only people i see outraged by this are the very same trolls who claimed it was ugly, is useless, would flop, etc... those are the only ones ive seen complain. certainly not normal people i know IRL.
  • Reply 38 of 56
    flaneur wrote: »
    Interesting theory you have there about a deal they made with these stores before they knew their taptic engine supplier was having problems. Even if it isn't so, it makes sense for them to seed some few thousands to high-end customers as a kind of advertising. And if they only can spare a few thousand, it would make no sense at all to move them through their own high-traffic store system.

exactly. if there was just a very limited amount of inventory, they could supply the 5 (or whatever) boutique stores, but not 500 apple stores. plus it may allow them to get some purchasing data.
  • Reply 39 of 56
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Predictably, we have the misogynists demanding Angela's head, as if they have a fucking clue what decisions she's made, what she's responsible for, and what is under her control. But hey, she's female, and Cook obviously hired her just to fill the female quota, right? I notice the same people who claimed for month that this product would be a catastrophe that no one would want, are now pretending to be outraged that there's not enough supply to meet demand.

• Reply 40 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

It's pathetic, really.

So the people on this thread complaining about me selling the watches to the highest bidder are just kidding? Or they aren't Apple fans?

Thanks to Apple, I've just taken my profit on the Apple watches I walked in off the street to buy same day and sold, and purchased 12 more shares of AAPL stock ... If I have time and the line's not too long, I may stop by Maxfield again this week and buy another one to sell on eBay and buy 6 more shares.

So nobody should be outraged over my ability to do this thanks to Apple's decisions on this launch. Good to know. Thanks. /s