Apple intervenes in Radio Shack sale in effort to protect customer data

13

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,483member
    mstone wrote: »

    People who use drugs are stupid. If you make it legal, instead of hiding it, they will just leave it lying around the house where pets and children will get into it. This is already being reported in states that have legalized pot.

    Sorry, I am stupid then. I love a Scotch or Gin and Tonic and I used to love a cigar too (but quit).
  • Reply 42 of 75
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    Just to pick up on one point, if you deposit or withdraw >$10,000 now it is true it is flagged, but that can be via check or wire transfer, it need not be cash per se, surely?



    The US government even requires the country of Panama to report any US citizen simply holding $10K or more in a bank account and they some how can enforce that. I suppose it is because US currency is legal tender in Panama.

  • Reply 43 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,483member
    mstone wrote: »

    The US government even requires the country of Panama to report any US citizen simply holding $10K or more in a bank account and they some how can enforce that. I suppose it is because US currency is legal tender in Panama.

    Interesting. I was questioning if the assertion (and used as evidence the Government was trying to abolish cash) that it was only cash transactions subject to this action. I think your point helps refute that concept ... right?
  • Reply 44 of 75
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    Interesting. I was questioning if the assertion (and used as evidence the Government was trying to abolish cash) that it was only cash transactions subject to this action. I think your point helps refute that concept ... right?



    US currency is widely used around the world

  • Reply 45 of 75
    dewmedewme Posts: 4,249member
    If you live in or travel to a city that has a Fry's Electronics you'll never miss Radio Shack. I quit going into Radio Shack more than 25 years ago due to their overly intrusive data gathering policies. I wonder if retailers, like Micro Center, have ever thought about how off putting their checkout interrogation policies are to customers? The checkout staff at some of these places act offended when you tell them you aren't going to give then any personal information.

    It only takes one bad checkout experience to get them added to my No-Buy list. If they subsequently go out of business like Radio Shack I will not shed a tear. I do feel bad for the employees who are victims of misguided management and who haven't a clue about lifetime customer value. There's a big difference between customer relationship management and mining customers for data. Too many firms and especially retailers in the technology sector just don't get it. They may as well start queuing up behind Radio Shack for their turn at bankruptcy court. From the shabby appearance of the last couple of Best Buy stores I've been in I'd say that they are bump drafting the Shack into oblivion.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,483member
    mstone wrote: »

    US currency is widely used around the world

    I can spell Non Sequitur. ;)

    I think the sub thread got totally lost somewhere along the way ...
  • Reply 47 of 75
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post





    I can spell Non Sequitur. image



    I think the sub thread got totally lost somewhere along the way ...



    Sorry, I meant that the US government sees the worldwide use of its currency as a benefit to US dominance, hence, they have no intention of getting rid of cash.

  • Reply 48 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,001member
    What if an Apple customer purchased non-Apple products on another occasion?
  • Reply 49 of 75
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post





    Yup I seriously asked that.



    If those few angry Apple fans that can't tolerate any mention of Google or Android or Samsung or Microsoft "on a pro-Apple site" are sincere then why try to bait folks that might not share their views with off-topic mentions and name-calling? Sounds more like they're inviting exactly the kinds of posters and comments they say they hate seeing here. image



    Oh stop playing the victim card and grow up, you've created this scenario on your own. 

  • Reply 50 of 75

    Oh stop playing the victim card and grow up, you've created this scenario on your own. 

    True dat!
  • Reply 51 of 75
    To no one in particular ... There is no problem mentioning Google or even ... Microsoft for me at least. It is those posters who take every opportunity to undermine anything pro Apple (it is a form of just say no) that are annoying (I am trying hard to keep this in the plural). An article that is clearly demonstrating Apple's continued protection of their customers isn't greeted with appreciation and support by a Google troll, rather it is answered with a few posts attempting to downplay, nullify or refute this fact somehow. Presumably in attempt to mess with new readers' minds ... (I can't imagine there is any other purpose). This is the modus operandi of all such posts.

    Well said. :)
  • Reply 52 of 75
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,808member
    To no one in particular ... There is no problem mentioning Google or even ... Microsoft for me at least. It is those posters who take every opportunity to undermine anything pro Apple (it is a form of just say no) that are annoying (I am trying hard to keep this in the plural). An article that is clearly demonstrating Apple's continued protection of their customers isn't greeted with appreciation and support by a Google troll, rather it is answered with a few posts attempting to downplay, nullify or refute this fact somehow. Presumably in attempt to mess with new readers' minds ... (I can't imagine there is any other purpose). This is the modus operandi of all such posts.

    Those who argue in favor of "contrarian opinions" on these forums frequently mistake trolling for honest debate. Folks who are pro-Apple also mistake honest debate for trolling. A contrarian is not necessarily a troll, but it is very easy for them to slip into that pattern of behavior. Unfortunately, there's no clear definition that everyone will agree on, but intentional use of certain rhetorical devices and memes can strongly suggest trolling intent. BF was someone who clearly fit that pattern, and he could barely hide it at the end.
  • Reply 53 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,380member
    sog35 wrote: »
    don't take my words so literal.

    I'm talking from a consumer perspective.  Ads are a scourge.

    The pattern is to give customers cheap or even free goods and services that are crap quality and push ads with it.  We see it in music, tv, movies, games, web browsing, ect.  Personally I'm sick of it.  I'm willing to pay $ to get quality without ads.
    So here 'ya go. Perfect opportunity to see if you're sincere. IMO very few would really be willing to pay their favorite blogs if they can visit for free. Maybe you would.
    https://www.google.com/contributor/welcome/
    http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/nov/21/google-contributor-pay-remove-ads
  • Reply 54 of 75
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,808member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    What if an Apple customer purchased non-Apple products on another occasion?

    Who cares? Why is someone's personal buying habits anyone else's concern?

    I don't care what you buy. These forums are filled with trolls who list their every Apple product ever owned thinking it would "win over" others; it doesn't. Nor would I think differently of them if they wanted to buy something else. I mean, Steve Jobs used to own an IBM ThinkPad, because NeXT wasn't making laptops. Do I think any less of him? Hardly.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,380member

    Oh stop playing the victim card and grow up, you've created this scenario on your own. 
    Me a victim? Hardly. Never claimed to be either. :lol:
  • Reply 56 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 23,380member
    sog35 wrote: »
    I pay for music, movies, games, ect.

    Of course I would pay for blog content.
    I'd imagine most of us pay for music, movies, games, etc. I doubt there's a lot of thieves here. I still don't like to pay for blog content. I assume you have a subscription to AI then rather than taking advantage of the free ad-supported version?
    http://appleinsider.com/apps/ios/

    With Contributor you can do the same with a lot of popular sites.
  • Reply 57 of 75
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,001member
    Who cares? Why is someone's personal buying habits anyone else's concern?

    I don't care what you buy. These forums are filled with trolls who list their every Apple product ever owned thinking it would "win over" others; it doesn't. Nor would I think differently of them if they wanted to buy something else. I mean, Steve Jobs used to own an IBM ThinkPad, because NeXT wasn't making laptops. Do I think any less of him? Hardly.

    Because businesses want to target their ads effectively. They'll get a greater ROI when they target potential customers versus just shooting into the dark. I commend Apple on protecting its customers, but it is probably a futile attempt, because those very same customers probably made unprotected purchases either previously, or thereafter.
  • Reply 58 of 75
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,808member
    sog35 wrote: »
    side point: Benji Frost is now posting on the Seeking Alpha site and continues to push his anti-Tim Cook agenda.  Its hilarious.

    LOL. Yeah, he HATES the Watch, and he's convinced Cook is everything wrong with Apple and that Steve would not approve. Pretty much sums up his vapid ennui.
  • Reply 59 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,483member
    Those who argue in favor of "contrarian opinions" on these forums frequently mistake trolling for honest debate. Folks who are pro-Apple also mistake honest debate for trolling. A contrarian is not necessarily a troll, but it is very easy for them to slip into that pattern of behavior. Unfortunately, there's no clear definition that everyone will agree on, but intentional use of certain rhetorical devices and memes can strongly suggest trolling intent. BF was someone who clearly fit that pattern, and he could barely hide it at the end.

    I totally agree, all excellent points. That said, if a certain poster takes a contrary view point some of the time, it's one thing. If it becomes their MO it's another thing all together. Plus there is a subtle difference between a contrarian view and continuously undermining anything positive. This isn't just semantics either, blogs like this are part of a media system that can have real consequences. If not, then that poster and others like him (or her for all I know) would surely not spend day in day out working diligently at it.
  • Reply 60 of 75
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,483member
    sog35 wrote: »
    side point: Benji Frost is now posting on the Seeking Alpha site and continues to push his anti-Tim Cook agenda.  Its hilarious.

    You'd almost suspect he is a disgruntled ex employee. The phrase 'get a life' come to mind with any of these folks that inhabit blogs just to be negative. Then again, perhaps 'seek help' would be more appropriate.
Sign In or Register to comment.