Strengthening dollar prompts Apple to increase prices in Europe, Canada

Posted:
in General Discussion edited May 2015
Apple raised prices in a number of overseas markets on Tuesday, a move precipitated by the U.S. dollar's continued rebound and designed to minimize the effect of foreign exchange headwinds.




Prices in France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, and other European Union nations increased by as much as ?600 ($669). Canadian consumers will see prices rise up to CA$400 ($327), depending on the product in question.

Buyers of the high-end Mac Pro will feel the brunt of the price hikes, though entry-level products have also been affected. The base Mac Mini has jumped by ?50 to ?569, for instance.

Tuesday's moves come just over two months after the last round of increases, and on the same day that Apple cut prices on its iMac with Retina 5K display.

In January, Apple raised minimum App Store prices to CA$1.19 in Canada, ?0.79 ($1.23) in the UK, and ?0.99 in the EU. Those changes were designed to counter foreign exchange swings as well as localized value-added tax charges.
«1

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 30
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,240member
    Damn.

    I was planning on getting a MacBook Pro last week when the rumors of a new one came out. So to my surprise, the rumor was right. Then the price increase. :devil:
  • Reply 2 of 30
    seabee3seabee3 Posts: 6member
    Stupid, unfriendly move. People in Europe are already spending way more than US customers on Macs and to make an increase like this is just not very cool.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post



    Damn.



    I was planning on getting a MacBook Pro last week when the rumors of a new one came out. So to my surprise, the rumor was right. Then the price increase. image



    Fig you look around at secondary vendors there might be old ones at clearance prices. Probably someone has inventory rather than just BTO... got any college bookstores near you that will sell to the public? They'd almost have to have stock.

  • Reply 4 of 30
    You keep associating the Euro currency with the European Union:

    "and other European Union nations increased by as much as %u20AC600"
    "%u20AC0.99 in the EU"

    The UK, Poland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria etc are all in the EU, but do not use the Euro. (to some extents some of their currencies follow the Euro - in certain circumstances, but certainly not all of them nor all circumstances).

    Additionally Apple has an online store in Montenegro, which is one of the places unilaterally using the Euro, although not part of the EU.

    The phrase you are looking for is not 'European Union'/'EU' but rather 'Eurozone'.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,073member
    Since mid-April the Euro has strengthened vs the Dollar, and in fact it's roughly on a par with its value in January. So this is a bit unsubstantiated. The value of Sterling has strengthened slightly since January vs the Euro, so hopefully Apple won't decide to bump UK prices too.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,001member
    seabee3 wrote: »
    Stupid, unfriendly move. People in Europe are already spending way more than US customers on Macs and to make an increase like this is just not very cool.

    But profitable
  • Reply 7 of 30

    If the value of a currency fluctuates more than a moderate amount it would be kind of nutty not to adjust to the change.

  • Reply 8 of 30
    visualzonevisualzone Posts: 291member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

     



    Fig you look around at secondary vendors there might be old ones at clearance prices. Probably someone has inventory rather than just BTO... got any college bookstores near you that will sell to the public? They'd almost have to have stock.




    A person might want to check out the refurbished products on Apples site to save some money too.

  • Reply 9 of 30
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,309member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by VisualZone View Post

     



    A person might want to check out the refurbished products on Apples site to save some money too.


     

    Yup. I just did that today, and bought this baby:

     

    http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FGXA2LL/A/Refurbished-154-inch-MacBook-Pro-22GHz-Quad-core-Intel-i7-with-Retina-Display

     

    $600 savings over the model just released. 

  • Reply 10 of 30
    sennensennen Posts: 1,467member

    Somewhat maxed out Retina 5K iMac (4GHz, 16g RAM, 4gb R9, 512gb) has gone up overnight by $400 here in Australia. Was $4.2k, now $4.6k. Bummer.

  • Reply 11 of 30
    rickysrickys Posts: 3member
    Price increase on iMacs in Australia is not due to strong US dollar as the 15" macbook pro is the same price as it was 2 days ago even with higher secs.
    Apple just decided to make the Retina iMac more expensive in Australia.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    sennensennen Posts: 1,467member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by RickyS View Post



    Price increase on iMacs in Australia is not due to strong US dollar as the 15" macbook pro is the same price as it was 2 days ago even with higher secs.

    Apple just decided to make the Retina iMac more expensive in Australia.



    Same configuration top end 15" rMBP is $50 cheaper than yesterday...

  • Reply 13 of 30
    Not sure what iPads and iPhones are doing, but I guess I got mine just in time ;-)
  • Reply 14 of 30
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

    This is not a stupid, unfriendly move. It's an extremely wise and prudent move on Apple's part. To not do so would be stupid and it would signal a lack of common sense and poor business skills.

     

    Currencies go up. Currencies go down. That's how things work. This is the way of the world. At the moment, the dollar just happens to be very strong. It's been trending strong for quite a while now, so anybody who didn't see this coming is not paying attention, and their ignorance about the situation is no valid excuse to get all mad at Apple. Get mad at your politicians and leaders. Apple has nothing to do with your situation.

     

    I remember when the dollar was weak a while back and I travelled to Europe, and I was getting very little for my dollars. Everything was pretty expensive for me. I paid about $10 for a damn Big Mac in certain countries. But I didn't complain about it, because I went there willingly, fully knowing the situation.

     

    When I go to Europe next time, my same dollars are going to buy me a whole lot more, and suddenly, things wont be expensive as they were the last time I was there.  

     

    Basically, just suck it up Euro people. Your currency blows at the moment and therefore Apple felt it necessary to raise the prices on certain items in certain countries to compensate for your incredibly weak currency. Who knows, in five years time, the situation will maybe reverse itself again, and it'll be the dollar that's weak. These things go in waves.

     

    And if the dollar were to continue getting stronger, then guess what, Apple should obviously raise their prices again in certain countries! Owning a Mac is not a human right. 

  • Reply 15 of 30
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 118member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    This is not a stupid, unfriendly move. It's an extremely wise and prudent move on Apple's part. To not do so would be stupid and it would signal a lack of common sense and poor business skills.

    Currencies go up. Currencies go down. That's how things work. This is the way of the world. At the moment, the dollar just happens to be very strong. It's been trending strong for quite a while now, so anybody who didn't see this coming is not paying attention, and their ignorance about the situation is no valid excuse to get all mad at Apple. Get mad at your politicians and leaders. Apple has nothing to do with your situation.

    I remember when the dollar was weak a while back and I travelled to Europe, and I was getting very little for my dollars. Everything was pretty expensive for me. I paid about $10 for a damn Big Mac in certain countries. But I didn't complain about it, because I went there willingly, fully knowing the situation.

    When I go to Europe next time, my same dollars are going to buy me a whole lot more, and suddenly, things wont be expensive as they were the last time I was there.  

    Basically, just suck it up Euro people. Your currency blows at the moment and therefore Apple felt it necessary to raise the prices on certain items in certain countries to compensate for your incredibly weak currency. Who knows, in five years time, the situation will maybe reverse itself again, and it'll be the dollar that's weak. These things go in waves.

    And if the dollar were to continue getting stronger, then guess what, Apple should obviously raise their prices again in certain countries! Owning a Mac is not a human right. 
    You seem to be celebrating the strong dollar. Clearly you aren't in the export business.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by markbriton View Post





    You seem to be celebrating the strong dollar. Clearly you aren't in the export business.



    You're correct that I'm not in the export business, but I am aware that the strong dollar has some negative consequences that comes with it. I doubt that Apple is overly glad for the strong dollar.

     

    I wouldn't say that I'm necessarily celebrating the strong dollar. I am merely accepting it, and I plan to take advantage of it for my own needs, such as when I travel to Europe again later on in the summertime.

     

    I've been through weak dollars and strong dollars before, and there's not much that anybody can do besides accept it.

  • Reply 17 of 30
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

     

    I paid about $10 for a damn Big Mac in certain countries.


     

    Who goes to Europe and eats at McDonald's? :wow: 

  • Reply 18 of 30
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    markbriton wrote: »
    You seem to be celebrating the strong dollar. Clearly you aren't in the export business.
    his attitude us unfortunately far too common. The I'm all right screw you. It is a sham.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,001member
    richl wrote: »
    Who goes to Europe and eats at McDonald's? :wow:  

    Americans. :lol:
  • Reply 20 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,408member
    seabee3 wrote: »
    Stupid, unfriendly move. People in Europe are already spending way more than US customers on Macs and to make an increase like this is just not very cool.

    Send your complaints to Janet Yellin.
Sign In or Register to comment.