Wealthy Chinese man buys two gold Apple Watch Editions for dog, prompts bizarre controversy

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2015
Wang Sicong, the son of mainland China's richest man, incited a virtual riot Tuesday after posting photos on Weibo of his Siberian Husky wearing not one, but two Apple Watch Editions on its front legs.




Wang's dog looks somewhat perplexed as to the reason for his shiny ankle adornment, but bears the weight well nonetheless. The set of five shots was uploaded to the dog's personal Weibo account via an iPhone 6, which is presumably also plated with gold.

"I have new watches! I'm supposed to have four watches since I have four long legs," the caption reads, as translated by Shanghaiist. "But that seems too tuhao so I kept it down to two, which totally fits my status. Do you have one?"

Tuhao is a derogatory Chinese term that refers to people who are rich, but lack corresponding social graces. Were it around at the time, Americans might have used the word to refer to the Clampett family from the Beverly Hillbillies.

The 42-millimeter Apple Watch Edition with white sport band retails for ?88,800 ($14,318) in mainland China, meaning the value of the pooch's new bling exceeds $28,000.


«1345

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 93
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

    Where does the dog carry the 2 companion iPhones? ;-)

     

    EDIT: Oh, never mind, the referring article indicates the dog has it's own Fendi bag.

  • Reply 2 of 93
    narcomanarcoma Posts: 37member
    Nice!
  • Reply 3 of 93
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 5,511member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post



    Wang Sicong, the son of mainland China's richest man, incited a virtual riot Tuesday after posting photos on Weibo of his Siberian Husky wearing not one, but two Apple Watch Editions on its front legs.



    "Virtual riot"?? Really?  Please AI, enlighten us why this even remotely qualifies as news because a bunch of whiny folks have problems with some rich guy strapping his pricey bling on a dog?  He didn't "buy" those watches for his dog, but simply put them on it for a humor.  It's obviously his watch and someone else's.



    Jeez... we know there are starving kids in China, slave labor in Apple sweatshops but in the end it's his money to spend it as he see's fit.  

  • Reply 4 of 93
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Only the white sports band? Isn't that the Edition edition for poor people?
  • Reply 5 of 93
    grbladegrblade Posts: 88member
    I'm guessing the watches are only on the dog for the time it takes to snap a silly photo.
  • Reply 6 of 93
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member

    This could inspire someone to develop an app for controlling service animals with Taptic Engine cues or alert tones.

  • Reply 7 of 93
    mystigomystigo Posts: 138member

    A dog with one watch always knows what time it is.

    A dog with two watches is never quite sure.

  • Reply 8 of 93
    entropysentropys Posts: 2,877member
    I always wondered what a dogs heart rate was.
  • Reply 9 of 93
    fotoformatfotoformat Posts: 296member
    He knows he's got more bytes than the doggie next door!
  • Reply 10 of 93
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    He probably bought one for himself and one for someone else--or borrowed one from someone else. Then put them on a dog for a funny photo set. Maybe even poking fun at showy rich people (or he may be one himself). But I doubt it's LITERALLY buying watches for a dog.

    Another surprise: that cat playing the piano is just for fun. He doesn't really play the piano.
  • Reply 11 of 93



    What, no "watch dog" jokes?

  • Reply 12 of 93
    bobjohnsonbobjohnson Posts: 154member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post



    He probably bought one for himself and one for someone else--or borrowed one from someone else. Then put them on a dog for a funny photo set. Maybe even poking fun at showy rich people (or he may be one himself). But I doubt it's LITERALLY buying watches for a dog.



    Another surprise: that cat playing the piano is just for fun. He doesn't really play the piano.

     

    This guy is a second-generation rich Chinese whose father is worth $34 billion, and his dog has its own Weibo account and a Fendi doggy bag thing. I'm sure at least one of those watches is for the dog.

  • Reply 13 of 93

    The dog had refused to wear some crappy Android Wear smartwatches.  That dog ain't no dummy.  He knows class when he sees it.

  • Reply 14 of 93
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Entropys View Post



    I always wondered what a dogs heart rate was.

     

    Dogs are a bit faster than humans. Furgate!

  • Reply 15 of 93
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

     

    Where does the dog carry the 2 companion iPhones? ;-)

     

    EDIT: Oh, never mind, the referring article indicates the dog has it's own Fendi bag.


     

    I knew there was a totally reasonable explanation. 

  • Reply 16 of 93
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,040member

    OK, so the heart rate monitor doesn't work through certain tat inks, but it works through dog fur... I call BS on this particular photo...?

     

    (My bi-black sheltie would look stunning with one of those!)

  • Reply 17 of 93
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,309member
    Hilarious. Amazing how people get pissed off at this kind of stuff. The guy didn't spend his $$ on hitmen in order to murder people. He spent on a Gold Apple Watch, because he can, and he doesn't give a ****. To the whiners, don't worry, you he wouldn't have wired you the $$ if he had not spent it on the watches for his dog.
  • Reply 18 of 93
    gregqgregq Posts: 62member
    I feel sorry for the dog, can't be comfortable for it.
  • Reply 19 of 93

    Wealthy people such as this guy might have monetary riches but certainly little moral, empathetic, or intellectual wealth.

     

    While I would agree he can do whatever he wants with his money, when comparing what his dog needs versus what the poor people in his city needs, he would rather spend $28K on a dog that has zero desire or need for a watch - let alone two expensive ones - than to help people in need of food or shelter.

     

    Funny on the surface but what a disgusting excuse of a human being.

  • Reply 20 of 93
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post



    Hilarious. Amazing how people get pissed off at this kind of stuff. The guy didn't spend his $$ on hitmen in order to murder people. He spent on a Gold Apple Watch, because he can, and he doesn't give a ****. To the whiners, don't worry, you he wouldn't have wired you the $$ if he had not spent it on the watches for his dog.



    Actually, when a person has the chance to do good for society and would rather waste the opportunity by spending a ridiculous amount of money on an animal that has no want or need for expensive jewelry, then I'd say he's justifiably the target of criticism.

Sign In or Register to comment.