Apple's iPhone gobbles up marketshare in U.S. as competitors stumble

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2015
A fresh report published by comScore on Friday says Apple's share of the U.S. smartphone market grew nearly two percent during a three-month period ending in April, pushing iPhone's share of subscribers above 43 percent.

With 43.1 percent of all U.S. smartphone subscribers choosing iPhone between the January and April, Apple extended its share of the market by 1.8 percent. Rival Samsung came in second, but saw its slice of the pie contract 0.7 percentage points to 28.6 percent during the same period.

Rounding out the top five OEMs were LG, Motorola and HTC, which took a respective 8.4 percent, 4.9 percent and 3.7 percent of the market. Of the three, only LG managed to gain subscribers over the three-month period.

Looking at platform marketshare, Android reigned supreme with 52.2 percent of U.S. smartphone users despite seeing a one percent decline that seemingly went directly to Apple. Looking at results from Microsoft's Windows Phone and BlackBerry, which were down 0.6 percent and .03 percent, respectively, it appears iPhone drew a huge number of switchers in a nearly saturated market. Apple CEO Tim Cook suggested as much during the company's quarterly conference call in April.

Apple's prowess in the smartphone game received a big boost in September when the company released iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus models, answering consumer demand for large-screen handsets. The results were immediately apparent as iPhone 6 helped Apple sell a record-breaking 74.5 million units in the period ending December. Strong sales continued into March with 61 million iPhones, bucking seasonality headwinds normally experienced in the post-holiday quarter.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    A helpful study to quote as it reflects what is actually used, not the disposable junk that is sold and has to be replaced a year later. However, AI doesn't include relevant context. Apple is at an all-time high, having never before cracked 43% in comScore. Meanwhile, Android is in terminal stagnation, having peaked at 53.4% in June 2012 and unable to reach that again since.
  • Reply 2 of 80
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    More rubbish from comScore
  • Reply 3 of 80
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Just for some perspective, by Google's own words, Android is on 400 OEMs and 4,000 distinct devices. Good context to keep in mind, when we see Apple, a SINGLE company that updates a single line of phones ONCE per year, is able to get numbers approaching 50% marketshare. Makes you realize how fucking asinine all the OMG ANDROID OUTSELLING APPLE YAY celebrations are. 

• Reply 4 of 80
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Table shows 53.2
    You are wrong
    proline wrote: »
    A helpful study to quote as it reflects what is actually used, not the disposable junk that is sold and has to be replaced a year later. However, AI doesn't include relevant context. Apple is at an all-time high, having never before cracked 43% in comScore. Meanwhile, Android is in terminal stagnation, having peaked at 43.4% in <b>June 2012</b> and unable to reach that again since.
  • Reply 5 of 80
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member

Gobble gobble gobble

• Reply 6 of 80
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    proline wrote: »
    A helpful study to quote as it reflects what is actually used, not the disposable junk that is sold and has to be replaced a year later. However, AI doesn't include relevant context. Apple is at an all-time high, having never before cracked 43% in comScore. Meanwhile, Android is in terminal stagnation, having peaked at 43.4% in <b>June 2012</b> and unable to reach that again since.

Where did you even get those numbers?
  • Reply 7 of 80
    patpatpatpatpatpat Posts: 628member
    proline == DED?
  • Reply 8 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Where did you even get those numbers?

As it says in my post, I provided past comScore numbers which are freely available on their website. What don't you understand?

• Reply 9 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Just_Me View Post

Table shows 53.2

You are wrong

Typo, Android peaked in 2012 at 53.4, not 42.4. Nevertheless, my point remains, Android has gone nowhere for three years running.

• Reply 10 of 80
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member

It would be interesting to see market share for the latest version of iOS vs the latest version of Android. I bet those numbers would look much better for Apple.

Granted, iOS 8 came out in mid-September and Lollipop came out in early November, but both were out for the December holiday season and Chinese New Year.

Almost half of Android users accessing the Google Play store are running a version even older than KitKat, which was released in October 2013.

https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

• Reply 11 of 80
    john12345john12345 Posts: 152member
    Wait, Samsung introduced S6 on 4/10. If the market share still decreased from Jan, I guess it didn't sell that well(or at least not as well as what samsung is telling the media).
  • Reply 12 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by proline View Post

Typo, Android peaked in 2012 at 53.4, not 42.4. Nevertheless, my point remains, Android has gone nowhere for three years running.

Meanwhile worldwide

Period Android iOS Windows Phone BlackBerry OS Others
    Q1 2015 78.0% 18.3% 2.7% 0.3% 0.7%
    Q1 2014 81.2% 15.2% 2.5% 0.5% 0.7%
    Q1 2013 75.5% 16.9% 3.2% 2.9% 1.5%
    Q1 2012 59.2% 22.9% 2.0% 6.3% 9.5%
  • Reply 13 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by john12345 View Post

Wait, Samsung introduced S6 on 4/10. If the market share still decreased from Jan, I guess it didn't sell that well(or at least not as well as what samsung is telling the media).

This is usage share, not sales share. Individual model introductions are irrelevant unless said model generates HUGE (i.e. iPhone level) sales, even then it takes several quarters for the full effect to be felt. We'll never know the true sales of the S6, but it likely isn't more than a tenth of the iPhones sales- it is just one Android among many, and similar droids can be had for half the money. 

• Reply 14 of 80
    rp2011rp2011 Posts: 159member
    A lot of folks I know with Android phones are telling me they are going to switch. I tell them to wait until this fall when the new one is out. If the new phone does have the biggest improvement in camera on an iPhone as has been speculated, then I think it's only going snowball this year.
  • Reply 15 of 80
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Meanwhile worldwide

Period Android iOS Windows Phone BlackBerry OS Others
    Q1 2015 78.0% 18.3% 2.7% 0.3% 0.7%
    Q1 2014 81.2% 15.2% 2.5% 0.5% 0.7%
    Q1 2013 75.5% 16.9% 3.2% 2.9% 1.5%
    Q1 2012 59.2% 22.9% 2.0% 6.3% 9.5%

Evidence analysis is not your forte. Your two-word post has more errors than words.

1) This story is about usage share, not sales. The two cannot be directly compared as the iPhone is used far longer than any Android phone. Hell, most 2010 iPhone 4s are still in use as hand-me-downs, while Androids from that era reached the landfill years ago. iOS's worldwide usage is indisputably higher than its sales percentage- these are two different things. 

2) 'Android' is not a world-wide phenomenon. Many of the phones you are calling 'Android' are Xiami AOSP phones, which provide a radically different Google-free experience.

3) You can't even source your data.

• Reply 16 of 80
    Quote:

Evidence analysis is not your forte. Your two-word post has more errors than words.

1) This story is about usage share, not sales. The two cannot be directly compared as the iPhone is used far longer than any Android phone.

2) 'Android' is not a world-wide phenomenon. Many of the phones you are calling 'Android' are Xiami AOSP phones, which provide a radically different Google-free experience.

And english comprehension isn't yours "terminal stagnation"? 

laughable.

• Reply 17 of 80
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    Last year around this time I saw quite a few non iPhone smartphones when I walked across Mahanttan streets but this year almost all are iPhones. I am shocked that iPhone is not 80% to tell u the truth.
  • Reply 18 of 80
    Quote:

Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

And english comprehension isn't yours "terminal stagnation"? 

laughable.

I'll add english language skills to your weakness, as requested. Being unable to beat their June 2012 numbers after 34 months of trying, an eternity in this rapidly changing market, certainly supports a diagnosis of terminal stagnation. It is highly unlikely that anything can breathe life into Android at this point as they have pretty much done everything already.

• Reply 19 of 80
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

1) This story is about usage share, not sales. The two cannot be directly compared as the iPhone is used far longer than any Android phone. Hell, most 2010 iPhone 4s are still in use as hand-me-downs, while Androids from that era reached the landfill years ago. iOS's worldwide usage is indisputably higher than its sales percentage- these are two different things. 

Dead Head - is that you?

1)  I invoke your 3rd accusation - you can't even source your data.

2)  WTF?  Bonkers!

3)  Logical fallacy.

• Reply 20 of 80
    Quote:

I'll add english language skills to your weakness, as requested. Being unable to beat their June 2012 numbers after 34 months of trying, an eternity in this rapidly changing market, certainly supports a diagnosis of terminal stagnation. It is highly unlikely that anything can breathe life into Android at this point as they have pretty much done everything already.

Wow, first you rush to post and "stupidly" include  completely incorrect numbers. Then you fail at simple english comprehension, not once but twice in a row. It's not looking promising for you at all.