Apple will unveil streaming music service on Monday, Sony chief confirms

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Will it really be iTunes changing to Apple Music? If so, then the current iOS "Music" and "iTunes Store" apps will be merged?

What about the OS X application? There, everything including stuff that isn't music (except for e-books) is purchased using iTunes ...oh, also desktop applications are purchased in a different program... Yeah, it's a bit of a mess.

Perhaps EVERYTHING music related (including music videos?) will funnel through Apple Music (on all platforms) and Apps and movies will get their own separate icon and store? Seems to me "iTunes" came to mean, "the everything digital store". "Apple Music" doesn't suggest "anything and everything".
  • Reply 22 of 79
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jungmark wrote: »
    After knowing nothing about it? Same could have been about the iTunes Store.

We'll see. Spotify is out there now trying to convince people free is good. There's a big difference between the free version of Spotify or getting something off YouTube and when people were stealing stuff via Napster and other P2P apps.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

Nothing is free. You can either pay up the price of a latte or two, or sell yourself to advertisers. This always reminds me of people who thinks subsidised phones are free.

kkerst said "ad-supported".  I think they get it.

• Reply 24 of 79
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,595member
    <p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:16px;font-style:normal;letter-spacing:normal;line-height:22.399999618530273px;margin:0px;padding:0px;text-indent:0px;word-spacing:0px;"> </p>

<p style="color:rgb(0,0,0);font-size:16px;font-style:normal;letter-spacing:normal;line-height:22.399999618530273px;margin:0px;padding:0px;text-indent:0px;word-spacing:0px;">Nothing is free. You can either pay up the price of a latte or two, or sell yourself to advertisers. This always reminds me of people who thinks subsidised phones are free.</p>
    Honest question: What are the advertisers going to do to you that makes you fear them?

Targeted ads? Meh. Some folks would rather save their cash and let someone else pay for it with theirs... like the advertisers that hope you'll buy something from them. Now the data aggregators who do nothing but literally sell what they know about you are a different story.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    Spotify's head is out there saying that "free is the future" and will save the music industry.

I think he doesn't realize how well this is playing into Apple's hands.

I'm not so sure. People seem to be perfectly willing to put up with ads in exchange for getting something for free. I think it might be a mistake for Apple to not offer a basic service that is free with ads. Then the paid version could include extras that would entice people to upgrade. Of course it's hard for Apple to offer much of anything with ads considering the privacy stance Tim Cook has taken.
  • Reply 26 of 79
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Honest question: What are the advertisers going to do to you that makes you fear them?

Targeted ads? Meh. Some folks would rather save their cash and let someone else pay for it with theirs... like the advertisers that hope you'll buy something from them. Now the data aggregators who do nothing but literally sell what they know about you are a different story.

If I'm going to get ads I would rather have them be targeted than not. If I have to sit through 15 or 30 seconds of an ad I'd rather it be something I'm interested in.
  • Reply 27 of 79
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm not so sure. People seem to be perfectly willing to put up with ads in exchange for getting something for free. I think it might be a mistake for Apple to not offer a basic service that is free with ads. Then the paid version could include extras that would entice people to upgrade. Of course it's hard for Apple to offer much of anything with ads considering the privacy stance Tim Cook has taken.

Nobody cares what the schlubs think; if the music industry bankrupts itself trying to run on an unsustainable ad-supported model then people won't have anything to listen to. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 28 of 79
    Nobody cares what the schlubs think; if the music industry bankrupts itself trying to run on an unsustainable ad-supported model then people won't have anything to listen to. :rolleyes:

Although technically it may benefit Apple to hasten the demise of the existing music cartels and sign up the artists to be represented exclusively by "Apple Music" in the same way developers are benefitting from selling their apps through Apple. ????
  • Reply 29 of 79
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Now looks to be a good time to add you to the block list to minimize my chances of seeing what will obviously be a lot of irrelevant comments tomorrow.

Feel free to do so - just don't complain about the truth when it comes knocking.

• Reply 30 of 79
    brlawyer wrote: »

Feel free to do so - just don't complain about the truth when it comes knocking.

The truth isn't a human being. It can't knock on a door like you say.
  • Reply 31 of 79
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    The truth isn't a human being. It can't knock on a door like you say.

Correct. But a banhammer sure can. :D
  • Reply 32 of 79
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

i just had to see who the poster was—brlawyer—and that said everything i needed to know. brlawyer is probably a lawyer like dr nick is a doctor.

i don't know how this will turn out, but the odds are 50/50. you may have to eat your words.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"My guess is that Apple will promote this like crazy and I think that will have a halo effect on the streaming business."

Especially the Apple content streaming business.

But why would a Sony exec pre-announce Apple Music?  Well let's look at it this way:

What does Sony gain by pre-announcing Apple Music?  

- A half-day of Apple rumor site publicity.  And a bit of industry insider cred.

What does sony lose by pre-announcing Apple Music?  

- Nothing.  Apple won't retaliate by giving their iPhone camera business to another supplier.

So there's a tiny net-postive for Sony.  Good luck in the 21st century, Mr. Walkman.

• Reply 34 of 79
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

i just had to see who the poster was—brlawyer—and that said everything i needed to know. brlawyer is probably a lawyer like dr nick is a doctor.

i don't know how this will turn out, but the odds are 50/50. you may have to eat your words.

BTW, when is BF returning to AI? It's about time for us to show some critical thinking against this sea of blind pro-Cook unanimity.

• Reply 35 of 79
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    These guys can't shut up. He had to say it. He couldn't wait 24 hours and let Apple announce their product.
  • Reply 36 of 79
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,301member
    nasserae wrote: »
    These guys can't shut up. He had to say it. He couldn't wait 24 hours and let Apple announce their product.

Apple would not have a product to announce without Sony and others for the content. So he has every right to say what he wants. It's his company with his content.
  • Reply 37 of 79
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Apple would not have a product to announce without Sony and others for the content. So he has every right to say what he wants. It's his company with his content.

Based on your logic Samsung can reveal Apple upcoming products because Apple is using Samsung components. It wasn't Sony's product/service and Sony's content is not the only one to be offered with this service. It was Apple's product and Apple is the one who should announce it.

• Reply 38 of 79
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,299member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    BTW, when is BF returning to AI? It's about time for us to show some critical thinking against this sea of blind pro-Cook unanimity.
    How about you do Ai, and all of humanity a favour, and just STFU and GTFO you worthless douchebag?!
  • Reply 39 of 79
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"What does Apple bring to this?" Morris is quoted as saying. "Well, they've got $178 billion in the bank. 

Oh, Sony, always half a year behind the curve. It's over $194 billion now, it was $178 billion at the end of calendar year 2014.

• Reply 40 of 79

Tim should tell Sony that their music will not be made available through their revamped music service if Doug Morris continues to work at Sony.