Apple unveils iOS 9 with smarter Siri, public transit in Maps, iPad split-screen multitasking

12467

Comments

  • Reply 61 of 128

    One thing I'm really excited about is Picture in Picture.  That's a great idea!  A simple and elegant way to watch a video while I'm doing just about anything else, from browsing to email.  I watch tutorial videos from time to time, I could take notes, or even have a drawing app open for when I get ideas.

     

    Some people mentioned that Apple was keeping split screen on Air 2 to drive sales.  That may not be true.  Apple's thinking may have been that developers right now are targeting their apps for 1GB of usage, due to the original Air and previous versions still being widely in use.  2 apps targeted at an Air 1 will be perfect for the Air 2.  Tough pill to swallow, but makes perfect sense.

  • Reply 62 of 128
    9secondko9secondko Posts: 929member
    At least it doesn't switch to the nastifonious San Francisco font.
  • Reply 63 of 128
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm a little surprised Craig didn't spend more time on stability and performance improvements. If nothing else just mentioning that Apple focused on them in this release would have been good. Also if they updated the font to San Francisco I'm surprised it got no mention. Also I noticed instances where round icons were being used, specifically in Spotlight. Again no mention of that. What's the difference between a round icon and a rounded rec one?
  • Reply 64 of 128
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    9secondko wrote: »
    At least it doesn't switch to the nastifonious San Francisco font.

    How do we know? Are you using the beta?
  • Reply 65 of 128
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    when will people learn?

    apple is already the biggest, most successful CE tech firm in the history of our species, with the biggest pile of money in the bank. they don't need to trick you into buying new iPads.

    it's the experience on older hardware. thats always been apple's guiding principle. the experience.

    So when Apple was planning the Air 1 they weren't working on multitasking? What's wrong with some future proofing in the hardware. If they knew multitasking was in the pipeline and knew it would require more RAM to work properly why didn't the iPad Air 1 get 2GB RAM? And if RAM isn't the issue, then why is the Air 2 the only device to get it? You can't tell me the A8 chip isn't powerful enough to support it.
  • Reply 66 of 128
    terun78terun78 Posts: 36member

    True. If I'm not mistaken, I think they did address in the keynote that iOS 9 would minimize the amount of data apps store. This is where all the "other" is coming from. In the meantime you have to delete the app and reinstall which is a pain and eventually you'll have to repeat. So let's hope iOS 9 will address this, especially for those with 16 GB phones.

  • Reply 67 of 128
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,883member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So when Apple was planning the Air 1 they weren't working on multitasking? What's wrong with some future proofing in the hardware. If they knew multitasking was in the pipeline and knew it would require more RAM to work properly why didn't the iPad Air 1 get 2GB RAM? And if RAM isn't the issue, then why is the Air 2 the only device to get it? You can't tell me the A8 chip isn't powerful enough to support it.

    There's a difference between planning and implementing. You can plan for a lot of things but things always change.
  • Reply 68 of 128
    terun78terun78 Posts: 36member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post





    So when Apple was planning the Air 1 they weren't working on multitasking? What's wrong with some future proofing in the hardware. If they knew multitasking was in the pipeline and knew it would require more RAM to work properly why didn't the iPad Air 1 get 2GB RAM? And if RAM isn't the issue, then why is the Air 2 the only device to get it? You can't tell me the A8 chip isn't powerful enough to support it.

    I think it's just a way of enticing people to buy another iPad. I'm with you, the A8 definitely has enough power to support it.

  • Reply 69 of 128
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

    No mention of the new News app from AI?

     

    I thought that was very interesting. Curious about the Apple News Format. I wonder if it is an extension of iBooks Author.

  • Reply 70 of 128
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,883member
    terun78 wrote: »
    I think it's just a way of enticing people to buy another iPad.

    Absolutely. But I bet the majority of those older iPad users probably won't care for split screen.
  • Reply 71 of 128
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,040member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post





    when will people learn?



    apple is already the biggest, most successful CE tech firm in the history of our species, with the biggest pile of money in the bank. they don't need to trick you into buying new iPads.



    it's the experience on older hardware. thats always been apple's guiding principle. the experience.

    cough...Siri...cough. Cydia has proven that Siri ran fine with older models of iPhone.

  • Reply 72 of 128
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post



    Bummer for Air 1 users not getting split screen.

     

    Frankly it sucks. I'll keep using my Air 1, but certainly not upgrading to an Air2.

     

    I'm done with expensive tablets...good for surfing but can't beat a laptop.

    I'm sure I can find a discounted Surface Pro 2 for next to nothing, if I need pressure sensitivity and split screen capabilities.

  • Reply 73 of 128
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Absolutely. But I bet the majority of those older iPad users probably won't care for split screen.

    Air 1 users have no interest in split screen? That's BS.
  • Reply 74 of 128
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jungmark wrote: »
    There's a difference between planning and implementing. You can plan for a lot of things but things always change.

    It's BS. And if I was an Air 1 user I would be rightly pissed off. It's not like the Air 2 was some big upgrade so I'm sure a lot of people didn't do it.
  • Reply 75 of 128
    wakefinancewakefinance Posts: 855member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post





    and if its a stability release, whats the problem w/ that? is apple...doomed?

     

    There's no problem with that at all.  My initial post was meant to draw attention to the comical situation into which DED has once again placed himself after his article about Google bringing nothing new to Android.  M is mostly focused on stability and polish rather than new features just like iOS 9, but Google still managed to make major changes to the platform, some of which are just bringing feature parity (granular permissions) and some of which are genuine advancements in mobile computing (Now on Tap).  DED bet on Apple outdoing Google at WWDC and lost spectacularly.

  • Reply 76 of 128
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,019member

    Multitasking enabled. Cue complaints about battery life...

  • Reply 77 of 128
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by linkman View Post

     

    Multitasking enabled. Cue complaints about battery life...




    Except battery life is now extended. Boom!

  • Reply 78 of 128
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,883member
    rogifan wrote: »
    It's BS. And if I was an Air 1 user I would be rightly pissed off. It's not like the Air 2 was some big upgrade so I'm sure a lot of people didn't do it.

    That's BS. Technology always advances and devices get left behind. Nothing new here.

    Air 1 buyers can get the Air 3 if the truly need split screen.
  • Reply 79 of 128
    mike1mike1 Posts: 2,809member

    I hope that it is better on an iPad2 than iOS8 was. Time for an upgrade to Air3 (or whatever they call it) either way.

  • Reply 80 of 128
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by netrox View Post

     

    Windows 8 finally arrived on iPad Air 2. 




    Why are you even here?

Sign In or Register to comment.