Continuity over cellular will allow remote answering of phone calls, texts in iOS 9

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    eevarkeevark Posts: 2member
    Nice way to transition to phone calls on your apple watch when your phone is at home.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by chabig View Post

I don't get it either. How can my calls be forwarded from my phone to my Mac over the cell network, considering that my Mac doesn't have a cellular modem (neither does my iPad).

When you forget your phone at home, it is connected to a) your cell network b) your home Wi-Fi.

On the other end, your iPad/Mac is with you at work connected to your work 's Wi-Fi network.

Your phone rings at home and through the magic of continuity and the internet, your iPad/Mac at work ring as well.

Before you needed to be on the same Wi-Fi network.

But then there is the possibility that I am at work with my phone, and my Mac or iPad at home rings. No big deal if no one home, but if someone else is at home, they could be answering my calls.

I suppose as long as there is an easy way to enable/disable the feature (and it is obvious what mode you are in), it could be OK, but there is a potential hazard if one was inattentive to the state of this feature.

• Reply 23 of 31
    uxqatomuxqatom Posts: 15member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

I see a future where cellular voice plans are deprecated and everything becomes data. The cellular carriers just become mobile network operators.

As far as I understand, LTE itself is already carries only data. It just isn't IP service (what you and I use at home). But, since almost all phone software, except for the latest iPhones and Androids, isn't capable of Voice over data (VoLTE), separate voice only service is maintained. Where as LTE-A (true 4G service) is going to be an IP only network, thus excising separate voice service, and making the service that Cell providers provide no different from the service you get at home.

Someone who is more in-touch with Cell technology can correct what i've mangled.

• Reply 24 of 31
    Still waiting for wifi calling with AT&T.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    If you think about it, the backend of this service would also allow a watch running on a separate wifi network to communicate with a phone regardless if it's on cellular or another wifi network.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

I'm still waiting for AT&T to turn on Wi-Fi calling that was announced a year ago.  Not holding my breath for this...

• Reply 27 of 31
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    They should put "remove WiFi Only", means not only work with WiFi, but also Cell. Every device needs to be connected to network for Continuity to work. AI sometimes sounds dumb with context.

thedba wrote: »
    When you forget your phone at home, it is connected to a) your cell network b) your home Wi-Fi.
    On the other end, your iPad/Mac is with you at work connected to your work 's Wi-Fi network.

Your phone rings at home and through the magic of continuity and the internet, your iPad/Mac at work ring as well.

Before you needed to be on the same Wi-Fi network.

maxgraphic wrote: »
    It isn't really "Continuity over Cellular," but Continuity over WAN.

Currently, Continuity only works if your Mac is on the same wi-fi network as your phone. What's being added is the ability to use it across the entire internet.

The reason the carriers have to be involved is because they have to turn on Wi-Fi Calling %u2013 the phone you left at home will use your home wi-fi to connect with your Mac at work.

If it were truly "Continuity over Cellular," your Mac or iPad would need a cellular modem to use it. The cellular network is not being used any more than with Continuity as it currently exists.

chabig wrote: »
    I see a future where cellular voice plans are deprecated and everything becomes data. The cellular carriers just become mobile network operators.

Ok, that's what I thought. I was hoping they would beat comcast to the punch and make FaceTime Audio be the interoperable voice communication system. Maybe for iOS X then. Or maybe in a point update now that they're pushing out bigger feature updates in between now.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Y'see, this is the sort of detail I would have included in the keynote, instead of wasting so much time on that train-wreck of a music announcement.

• Reply 29 of 31
    laytechlaytech Posts: 335member
    We just need a wifi chip or cell chip in the Apple watch and you could potentially leave your iphone at home and take calls, texts etc on your wrist...
  • Reply 30 of 31
    scottjdscottjd Posts: 64member
    laytech wrote: »
    We just need a wifi chip or cell chip in the Apple watch and you could potentially leave your iphone at home and take calls, texts etc on your wrist...

The watch does have a wifi chip, the problem is the watch will only connect to known networks that you've entered the password for on the phone.
    Maybe watch OS 2 wil allow us to select the network from the watch?

I'm not sure why cell carriers will need to enable anything, the way I see it is they are just taking the service and pairing with things like "back to my mac" that allows other devices I'm signed into to see my WAN address. Some how's router may have issues with this?
    But if AT&T is giving me true open internet data to use as I please then it should just work if I'm correct about the back to my Mac part.