Apple is making the Watch better by making it even more realtime

Comments

• Reply 21 of 63
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflagel View Post

Would you say that it has become really important to you?

Say, if you were to lose your Apple Watch, would you immediately go and get a new one (like you would an iPhone), get one in a few days, when you get around to it, or never? If you answer that you'd get a new one right away, may I ask what functionality you make the most use of?

'Yes', and 'immediately' (in part, also since it's not all that expensive).

In decreasing order:

1) Time/date.

2) Texts; Weather

3) Phone calls.

4) ApplePay; Activity.

5) Email.

6) AppleTV.

7) Stocks.

(Third party apps -- incl. NYT, Twitter, calculators, Google News -- suck).

I look at my iPhone a fraction of the time compared to how often I used to. You're seriously underestimating the importance of convenience and connectivity.

Add: Oh, and it's quite beautiful. A fabulous thing on my wrist. But I've been a watch wearer for a very long time.

• Reply 22 of 63
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tenly View Post

What did you do? Try a friends watch for a few minutes or do you actually own one? I think it's unlikely that you own one.

Troll somewhere else! You've got it all wrong about the watch! Those of us that actually own one seem to be extremely happy with it. Have you stopped to ask yourself why? Are we all brainwashed? Or is it possible that maybe some of your impressions are misguided and others are just plain wrong?

Apology accepted.

(Paired to an iPhone 6, sitting right outside the camera view. At home on Wifi. Video taken on a different phone. Cut it off immediately before it showed my location.)

If you don't accept that third-party apps suck, you've been brainwashed.

• Reply 23 of 63
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ronstark wrote: »
    True to form: the first release of ANY new Apple product is in beta test....that is, it's being field tested by first adopters at their expense. In just a few " tech minutes" we all will learn the watch needs a larger battery in order to get more power to the transceiver, or more memory in order to store the larger apps or information to be exchanged in the communications chain...as now most is stored in the iPhone and not the watch itself. So, I predict the watch band itself will become important for either issue as the watch size will be kept the same...for a while.

What on earth are you talking about? apples first releases are not known for being beta-like; in fact the opposite is true, they're known for being the way their product categories ought to have been designed.
  • Reply 24 of 63
    konqerror wrote: »
    Face it, the Watch OS 1 third-party app extension model just plain sucks. I just tried to start TripAdvisor... gave up after 20 seconds spinning. United... 5 seconds, Starbucks... 6 seconds. The painfully long third-party launch times defeats the whole purpose of the Watch.

I challenge your assertion that third party apps are the whole purpose of the watch. They aren't for us. 1) activity tracker. 2) wireless iPod for jogs. 3) notifications. 4) payments.

They should never have launched third-party apps in the state it's in. Now, after what 4 months on the market, developers will have to rewrite their apps to run directly on the watch. Guess how many people will do that?

Are you honestly trying to suggest not many devs will create native versions of their apps for AW? In what universe does Apple have trouble attracting devs to its platforms? Try again.
  • Reply 25 of 63
    sflagel wrote: »
    Would you say that it has become really important to you?

Say, if you were to lose your Apple Watch, would you immediately go and get a new one (like you would an iPhone), get one in a few days, when you get around to it, or never? If you answer that you'd get a new one right away, may I ask what functionality you make the most use of?

Yes. The two times I've forgotten it at home I was pissed and considered driving home for it. Activity tracking is the primary use case, and its activity circles game theory is powerful.
  • Reply 26 of 63
    I disagree. But unlike you, I have the Apple Watch.
    My Watch battery goes all day, easily, including workouts with Bluetooth audio and the pulse sensor going. After 18 hours, it still never got below 24%. I don't feel like a beta tester, but an early adopter. The Watch will evolve, but as a 1.0 product, it delivers on what it promises, and that includes power management.

Usually I'm at 50% when I put it down; on heavy workout days it's 25%, and on light days like today it was 75%. Pretty impressive.
  • Reply 27 of 63
    How many apps bothered to update to iPhone 6 resolution? Let's name a few who haven't: Paypal, eBay (until last week), Fidelity, AMEX, Woot, Google Voice, Hilton, SPG, UPS, FedEx, Walgreens, Starbucks, Home Depot, MyChart... and I got bored looking. How many of these have gotten special Apple keynote promotions? At least 6 of the 14.

You have to understand that a lot of these companies outsource their apps to a third party developer. The developer says it will take $5,000 to the  app. The CTO at the hotel chain denies it because it works fine and they can't tell the difference on their kid's iPod touch.

Cool story bro, but that is a false analogy when talking about going native on the Watch. Your clueless CEO archetype will notice when his crummy extension app doesn't load.
  • Reply 28 of 63
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    How many apps bothered to update to iPhone 6 resolution? Let's name a few who haven't: Paypal, eBay (until last week), Fidelity, AMEX, Woot, Google Voice, Hilton, SPG, UPS, FedEx, Walgreens, Starbucks, Home Depot, MyChart... and I got bored looking. How many of these have gotten special Apple keynote promotions? At least 6 of the 14.

You have to understand that a lot of these companies outsource their apps to a third party developer. The developer says it will take $5,000 to the  app. The CTO at the hotel chain denies it because it works fine and they can't tell the difference on their kid's iPod touch.

Where can I have an app developed for $5,000?
  • Reply 29 of 63
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    APPLEWATCH has great potential as new features are added and the WatchOS is fine tuned. Buying the first version of any new product leaves you wanting more than what it's capable of doing. But I have a feeling Apple is going to beef up the operating system quickly
    Watch OS2 in September and I wouldn't be surprised to see an OS3 before the year is out
  • Reply 30 of 63
    maccamacca Posts: 23member
    I find it crazy that you can't manually change the time on the watch.

I had a situation I was travelling to the states. My phone ran out of battery, so I tried to change the time manually on the watch.

I understand that in normal situation all the benefits of phone network syncing but seriously, not being able to manually set the time is TOTALLY CRAZY!!!

Hopefully they will sort this out!
  • Reply 31 of 63
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

They should never have launched third-party apps in the state it's in. Now, after what 4 months on the market, developers will have to rewrite their apps to run directly on the watch. Guess how many people will do that?

I bet on "almost everyone". Join the party at developer.apple.com :p

• Reply 32 of 63
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    It seems clear that most apps out on Apple Watch so far were best-guess placeholders built without any real idea of what using the Watch would feel like.

They were built mostly in hope of gathering users by being first-on-platform. I've seen this myself often enough, where people switched apps simply because other apps were faster at supporting new functionality (most notably, this happened a lot with retina support).

Most suck right now, but I think Apple did right by shipping the watch anyway, because:

1) many early adopters are people who wear watches anyway. Buying a timepiece is primarily a combination of utility (tell the fuckin' time) and wearing a beautiful accessory. Anything my Apple Watch does beyond telling time and looking and feeling gorgeous is, at this point, pure bonus. I'm excited about what's in store for the platform, but it already exceeds its primary goals for me.

2) it's probably (IANAD) much more work to build a full-fledged app for watchOS than to build an extension into the iPhone app. Waiting to release the SDK means every developer will have first-hand experience with the watch BEFORE making the effort, greatly reducing the risk of having to completely redesign (as most out-of-the-gate app developers have had to/will have to do).

3) what a nice signal to early adopters that the product they bought and already love will get much better in such a short timeframe? The value of the Apple Watch I'd just bought increased tremendously literally before it even arrived here!
  • Reply 33 of 63
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Apology accepted.
    <iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/130718869?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="580" height="326" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

(Paired to an iPhone 6, sitting right outside the camera view. At home on Wifi. Video taken on a different phone. Cut it off immediately before it showed my location.)

If you don't accept that third-party apps suck, you've been brainwashed.
    Your internet connection sucks, or there's a problem with your phone or your watch. First of all - I think that anything t under 10 seconds is acceptable. And I'm sure that plenty of others would agree. I have a 25Mbps internet connection and I was streaming Netflix at the time. I went through and timed a bunch of app startups and ALL launched in an acceptable amount of time:

App. Launch Time (seconds)
    WebMD 2
    NYTimes. 6
    Air Canada 2
    Marriott. 3
    CNN. 5
    Uber. 1
    Skype. 2
  • Reply 34 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I did as you asked.

I found no survey evidence. I must have missed it.

...but you found mixed reactions just as I said. :rolleyes: At least you looked so no need to note I was correct.
  • Reply 35 of 63
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

A different thing to not have a functional app at all.
    tenly wrote: »
    Your internet connection sucks, or there's a problem with your phone or your watch. First of all - I think that anything t under 10 seconds is acceptable. And I'm sure that plenty of others would agree. I have a 25Mbps internet connection and I was streaming Netflix at the time. I went through and timed a bunch of app startups and ALL launched in an acceptable amount of time:

App. Launch Time (seconds)
    WebMD 2
    NYTimes. 6
    Air Canada 2
    Marriott. 3
    CNN. 5
    Uber. 1
    Skype. 2

You've moved your own goalposts there by saying 10 seconds or less is acceptable. I'd find 2 seconds slow.
  • Reply 36 of 63
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    [quote name="konqerror" url="/t/186737/apple-is-making-the-watch-better-by-making-it-even-more-
    [/quote]

I'll guess. ALL of the developers.
  • Reply 37 of 63
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

So they're not upgraded until the next major revamp. 

How many apps never bothered to update to retina resolutions? How many of those are still in any way relevant? 

• Reply 38 of 63
    The Verge (nilay) initial review had a visit to their sister site / fashion mag. They all criticised it without saying why, committing to an actual opinion, understanding design language, suggesting improvements or even knowing what kind of watches they actually liked. One, sitting on a fence, said the second version might be good without knowing much about anything.
  • Reply 39 of 63
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    gatorguy wrote: »

...but you found mixed reactions just as I said. :rolleyes: At least you looked so no need to note I was correct.

Yes, yes, you're always correct. With your regular, passive-aggressive, anti-Apple, concern-troll posts in an Apple forum. Nearly 12,500 of them.

:rolleyes:
  • Reply 40 of 63
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Yes, yes, you're always correct. With your regular, passive-aggressive, anti-Apple, concern-troll posts in an Apple forum. Nearly 12,500 of them.

:rolleyes:
    Concern? On the contrary I said there was no reason for concern after Rogifan raised the issue. Fashion is fickle. For whatever reason, and it appears to be a personal one going by recent posts, you're trying to put your own negative spin on what was actually said.

EDIT: I invited you to PM me a couple days back so we can discuss whatever it is instead of a personal issue (if that's what it is) continuing to be a thread distraction. We've talked before and now would be a great time to do so again.