Apple Music Radio debuts in iOS 8.4 & iOS 9 betas with 28 stations, including Beats 1

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited June 2015
The native Music app in Apple's iOS 8.4 and iOS 9 betas was updated on Thursday with access to a new "Radio" tab, including a preview of the company's new live, flagship radio station Beats 1.

With Thursday's soft launch, there are a total of 28 stations. Beats 1 is Apple's only live station, while the other options are tweaked versions of Apple's previous iTunes Radio genre channels.

Options span the usual gamut of music, from classical to country, and there's even a "Disney Princess Radio" station available. The new "Radio" tab is located in the lower right of the iOS 8.4 and iOS 9 Music app, next to "Playlists" and "My Music."

Beats 1 and iOS 8.4 are expected to formally launch on June 30, alongside the new Apple Music subscription service. Anyone will have access to the Beats 1 station, however.

As of Thursday, the Beats 1 station is not yet live, as it just teases users with a "coming soon" track. In it, DJ Zane Lowe introduces the product and highlights what will eventually be on the channel.

Beats 1 will be live 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It will be hosted by Lowe, former of BBC 1, Ebro Darden of HOT 97 fame, and British tastemaker Julie Adenuga.

Ahead of this month's Apple Music launch, users around the world began seeing signup availability advertised on their iPhones running the latest iOS 8.4 beta starting this week. Apple Music will cost $9.99 per month, but its launch will be accompanied by a three-month free trial period.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member
    Oy I know it's just an early teaser, but why the noisy, compressed FM-esque bumper and promo style? That technique is so tired and overused, I am hoping Apple gets more refined in presentation...still looking forward to the service, and have already signed up for the family plan.
  • Reply 2 of 29
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

I'm ready! Take my money! (after the first three months)

I've cancelled Spotify.

12 more days...

Additionally, I hope those additional 27 stations are a lot more than tweaked. iTunes Radio stations were badly generated.

• Reply 3 of 29
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    thrang wrote: »
    Oy I know it's just an early teaser, but why the noisy, compressed FM-esque bumper and promo style? That technique is so tired and overused, I am hoping Apple gets more refined in presentation...still looking forward to the service, and have already signed up for the family plan.

It sounds like BBC Radio 1 or Capital FM. Or like any other radio station I can find on TuneIn. Apple considers this revolutionary? Sorry Jimmy, sorry Trent, sorry Eddy not buying it.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It sounds like BBC Radio 1 or Capital FM. Or like any other radio station I can find on TuneIn. Apple considers this revolutionary? Sorry Jimmy, sorry Trent, sorry Eddy not buying it.

What did you expect exactly? It's a radio station. I think it's fine.

• Reply 5 of 29
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thrang View Post

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 6 of 29
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I've seen nothing even remotely approximating BBC Radio 1. Their attempt to "forget about genres" and "just play great music" is going to fall flat.

• Reply 7 of 29
    clemynx wrote: »

Like most things Apple does very well, I expect them to elevate and differentiate the segment they enter. They may very well do this with the actual approach to content, but those bumpers are so cliched it seems some pedestrian engineers were hired to do what they've always done.

THINK DIFFERENT
  • Reply 8 of 29
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    thrang wrote: »
    ?. and have already signed up for the family plan.

How did you sign up?
  • Reply 9 of 29
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I don't get Beats1. To me it's really nothing new. It's what AM/FM Radio does and has been doing for YEARS. Like DJ's and Music 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Streaming doesn't make it innovative. You can just use iheartradio and stream hundreds of Radio stations doing the exact same thing!!

I'll try it out for free for the 3 months, but i don't see myself paying for it. If I could get back what I lost dropping SiriusXM Radio with it's many Talk channels and Comedy Channels, etc. Great, then I might sign up. If all it is, is Music, No thanks. I'm not the Target Market Apple is going after.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JBDragon View Post

I don't get Beats1. To me it's really nothing new. It's what AM/FM Radio does and has been doing for YEARS. Like DJ's and Music 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Streaming doesn't make it innovative. You can just use iheartradio and stream hundreds of Radio stations doing the exact same thing!!

I'll try it out for free for the 3 months, but i don't see myself paying for it. If I could get back what I lost dropping SiriusXM Radio with it's many Talk channels and Comedy Channels, etc. Great, then I might sign up. If all it is, is Music, No thanks. I'm not the Target Market Apple is going after.

Yeah, like the radio stations are the ONLY part of Apple Music that you pay for.

The streaming is the main product. The radio stations are just bonus extras. Even if they're lousy I'm still signing up for the family plan. It's a bargain compared to Spotify and everyone else.

• Reply 11 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Yeah, like the radio stations are the ONLY part of Apple Music that you pay for.

The streaming is the main product. The radio stations are just bonus extras. Even if they're lousy I'm still signing up for the family plan. It's a bargain compared to Spotify and everyone else.

Beats1 (the radio service) is free and will have advertising.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    matrix07 wrote: »
    How did you sign up?

When I launched the Music app a few days ago, it was presented with the option to sign up under an individual or family plan...I think it was discussed here a few days ago...
  • Reply 13 of 29
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

I guess I just don't get streaming media.  I just keep my music on an old iPod and it is attached to my head unit and play from there.  When I am mobile, I just use my iPhone and headphones.  

• Reply 14 of 29
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    The app crashed on me during beta signup a couple days ago, and now won't launch at all. Gonna have to wait until beta 2 drops before I can check it out. Not going to reinstall beta 1 just to listen to radio.
  • Reply 15 of 29
    'Anyone will have access to the Beats 1 station.' Really? Also in Europe? That would be new.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    I don't see the software update? I'm on 8.3 and it says I'm up to date. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer.
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Two DJ's working 12 hour shifts 7 days a week? I have to be missing something
  • Reply 18 of 29
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by daveinpublic View Post

I don't see the software update? I'm on 8.3 and it says I'm up to date. I guess I'll have to wait a little longer.

It's in the 8.4 beta only. Update arrives at the end of the month.

• Reply 19 of 29
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

It's a $3 freaking billion station!

• Reply 20 of 29

Why all the negativity? Seems pretty great to me.

1) Free. Stop whining.

2) I doubt anyone is putting this much effort and focus on a singular radio station, particularly with the world's top DJs.

3) It will be immediately accessible to nearly all active iOS users on day 1, and then all android users in the Fall. That is not only a HUGE accessible audience, but also a cool opportunity to be connected with people around the globe, sharing the same thing. I don't think any other company could really pull this off, and I highly doubt that there are any current internet radio stations that have much traction (I say that as a fan, but infrequent listener of DI radio, which has great EDM stations).

4) I think most people's experience of radio (at least the popular stations here in the US), is obnoxious DJs playing top 40 hits over and over, intermixed with stupid commentary about which celebrities are hooking up with each other. It will be nice to have a reliable option where that won't be the case.

I hope this will be a hit, but, because music is such a social thing, it's probably going to require a lot of promotion, even with Apple's huge installed base. I think Apple made a mistake having Iovine (who comes off as an aged out rock star) and Eddy Cue (who comes off as the 'cool dad' trying to impress his middle school aged kids) announce Apple Music. I'm sure they're brilliant and cool guys, but not who most people want telling them what they should listen to. The obvious choice to make the announcements were the DJ's they're hiring to launch Beats 1 (and possibly Trent Reznor).* Hopefully they'll be featured more prominently in future announcements/marketing.

*Also, where's Dr Dre? I'm guessing/hoping he'll make his public debut at Apple this Fall when Apple is releasing the android app (and also after his movie comes out). This would be a great strategy actually.