Rumor: Apple developing iPhone display with integrated Touch ID fingerprint scanner, eliminating hom

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

By the way, use this render from 9to5Mac to give us some interest, AI. 

• Reply 42 of 53
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member

It's only a matter of time.

• Reply 43 of 53
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    konqerror wrote: »
    No large phones have buttons on the top. If they put it on the top, you'd be complaining how often you drop the phone trying to turn it on.

Warranty/damage issue too. Remember how unreliable the iPhone 4 home button was? The iPhone 5 had a service program for its power button. The less moving parts, the better.

Unless Apple combines this with Force Touch such that you'd need a significant press before the phone will wake up. Further, adding in feedback with the Taptic Engine and you even get a physical "click" just like you do now with the home button.

cali wrote: »
    Beat me to it. Force Touch solves this.
    Tactic will make the UI and apps more interactive.

With all that said I don't expect an all screen iPhone yet.

They can still remove the home button and gain about "1/4 of screen space by making the entire bottom bezel a TouchID sensor.

For those who don't get it Apple won't (or at least shouldn't) extend the screen to the bottom of the device or make it shorter as in this picture. I think they'll keep the button size's and shape but remove the physical depress in favour of haptic. That should cut down on the internal space required for the button's parts.

Hopefully they'll keep it slightly recessed with a rim too because that's handy for orienting tjhe device in the dark and the colour of the rim is a really important/classic design element.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    Sure in theory it will happen, we will see a whole front side of the phone screen at some point, but until then, keep dreaming.
  • Reply 45 of 53

No privacy as well. There is a legal trick: If finger print is require to enable device then any law enforcement is allowed to go through your device with no warrant (it is based on biometrics and as such law does not require warrants). If it is based on push button and password (something you know) then warrant is required as per law and constitutional rights.

Did you know that?

Although I do not have much to hide, I 'd rather do not give access to someone who could misuse my information for any reason (political or legal).

If Apple forces bimoetric identification and stops supporting password/code based access I am dumping Apple device.

• Reply 46 of 53
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,843moderator
    s.metcalf wrote: »

For those who don't get it Apple won't (or at least shouldn't) extend the screen to the bottom of the device or make it shorter as in this picture. I think they'll keep the button size's and shape but remove the physical depress in favour of haptic. That should cut down on the internal space required for the button's parts.

Hopefully they'll keep it slightly recessed with a rim too because that's handy for orienting tjhe device in the dark and the colour of the rim is a really important/classic design element.

Beat you by three messages with the non-moveable haptic Home button idea. Whew! (See message #41 in this thread.)
  • Reply 47 of 53
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Over hundred millions for the little sapphire home button? You exaggerated too much. Removing home button doesn't mean removing Touch ID or any related hardware component associate with it. By eliminating the home button, you got to move it into the screen area which requires a lot more hardware, software design for it. It would cost more, not less.

Read my post again. Slowly this time for comprehension and understanding.

• Reply 49 of 53

Little to no benefit? The end goal of the iPhone, its final form **spoiler alert** is a sold state device. Solid state as in a slab of glass – a slate. No spinning disc: No physical buttons. Why? because mechanical fixtures have a high value of "fault susceptibility." They have the metrics on what customers bring to the genius bar. If the majority of iPhone buyers show up to the genius bar with mechanical issues, those are parts that apple has to spend money on for extended repairs. If you remove mechanical parts from your devices, you effectively absolve customers of mechanical issues and having to spend money on spare mechanical parts. Then the majority of iPhone buyers showing up to the bar will be those with issues that were of minority concern (water damage, screen fractures, etc.). Apple now has a new set of problems to solve: make phone water proof (remove that demographic from genius bar visits), make screen unscratchable/unbreakable with gorilla glass XXIV [sapphire edition] (remove that demographic as well from genius bar visits). Once Apple makes the iPhone completely solid-state, water/scratch/shatter-proof, then the majority of the repair problems will be software, which means they don't have to spend money on factories dedicated towards making faulty, money-sapping parts. and Genius bar employees will be Halt and Catch Fire technicians HCFT whose only job is to power-down devices, pray, and Kanye shrug if the problem persists. This will also allow apple to make AppleCare a viable revenue stream, as they would have cut down on expenses. Each iteration of the iPhone is more fault tolerant than the prior, and Apple will continue the trend until the device is physically fault intolerant, because business and money-wise, it-makes-cents!

• Reply 50 of 53
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

It's hard to imagine an iOS device without the home button.  I reckon it would be a very awkward adjustment period.  I am still fumbling with the relocated power button on the side of my iPhone 6, always get it mixed up with the volume buttons and accidentally put the display to sleep, same when taking photos.

Have seldom used my Home button for years.  I switched to Accessibility on my iPhone 4, when I heard of many Home button failures.

I'm not big on fingerprint logon, a password is just fine.

When I tried an iPhone6 at the Apple store, I kept turning it off with my holding grip. :embarrass

So I just watch and listen to these valuable user comments on the new iPhones,

as long as my still perfect iPhone4 iOS7 of 4.5 yrs old keeps working. :)

Hopefully when I need a new iPhone, Apple will have a model that works for me.

• Reply 51 of 53

if some of this is truth , IPhone 7 will be revolutionary.

• Reply 52 of 53
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Read my post again. Slowly this time for comprehension and understanding.

No I don't need too because your first paragraph already said that you just didn't have any idea of "hardware". In this case, anything related to Home button with Touch ID.

• Reply 53 of 53
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

No I don't need too because your first paragraph already said that you just didn't have any idea of "hardware". In this case, anything related to Home button with Touch ID.

Well, better luck next time.