Kenwood ships its first aftermarket receivers enabled for Apple CarPlay, starting at $900

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
Kenwood on Wednesday began shipping two new dash receivers, the DDX9902S and DDX9702S, expanding aftermarket support for Apple CarPlay beyond Alpine and Pioneer units for the first time.

Kenwood DDX9702S
Kenwood DDX9702S

Both units have 6.95-inch resistive touch displays, and features such as Bluetooth, HD Radio, HDMI input, SiriusXM compatibility, and DVD playback. Users can also hook up a rear-view camera, and natively control Pandora or iHeartRadio when a smartphone is connected.

The units' main feature however is the ability to switch between CarPlay and Android Auto on the fly, without a reset or even the need to change settings. Kenwood claims that its products are the only ones on the market to allow this rapid switching.

The DDX9702S costs $900, while the DDX9902S is $950. The latter is superior only in terms of upgraded audio features -- preout voltage is upped from 4 to 5, and the graphic equalizer has 7 bands instead of 5. The 9902S also supports the aptX Bluetooth codec, enabling CD-quality wireless audio.

Kenwood DDX9902S
Kenwood DDX9902S

CarPlay support has so far been extremely rare, limited only to a handful of receivers and the Ferrari FF. That situation is beginning to change however, mainly due to General Motors, which is rolling out numerous 2016 models with the platform built in. Apple has said that across all carmakers, 40 vehicles will get CarPlay by the end of 2015.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    CarPlay has been available in aftermarket support, previously by Pioneer and Alpine. I'm glad to see Kenwood join the list.
  • Reply 2 of 54
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    This is nice for slightly older models to replace dashboard control center and still get Carplay(and also android car play or whatever they call). I hope damm Toyota and Honda stop playing safe and be aggresive to get on board supporting carplay(and android) in their popular cars like Camry, corolla, civic, accord, CR-V,etc for their upcoming 2016 models.. More power to GM as forefront of supporting carplay.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    joe28753joe28753 Posts: 82member

I think it's funny to see the UI of these aftermarket head units. Like they're still designed by some nerd from the mid 90s. What is that background? Some Star Wars warp drive thing? More flashy lights and graphics don't make it better, guys..

• Reply 4 of 54
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    $900? 900 U.S. dollars for that? That's - a bit steep.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    chadmaticchadmatic Posts: 285member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by joe28753 View Post

I think it's funny to see the UI of these aftermarket head units. Like they're still designed by some nerd from the mid 90s. What is that background? Some Star Wars warp drive thing? More flashy lights and graphics don't make it better, guys..

I'm guessing that their primary market is kids in their teens and early twenties, hence the flashy lights, bells and whistles...

• Reply 6 of 54
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Seems a lot of money for what you actually get.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    It's already being sold by crutchfield.com for $750.. expect that price to drop to mid $600's fairly quickly once Amazon starts carrying it.

Also, after playing with one, Kenwood easily has the best Carplay and Android Auto head unit period.. 5 amp out, no software to play with to go from Carplay to Android Auto and back.. Can be a duel phone home w/o the pain..

Pioneer is buggy and a pain to switch between carplay and auto.
  • Reply 8 of 54
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    Good god, you'd do better to stick an iPad in there for half the price.
  • Reply 9 of 54
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

and people think iPhones are expensive.....

Quit whining and get to work.

• Reply 10 of 54
    Quote:

The Alpine interface does a very good job of following Apple's iOS8 example when it comes to UI.

But Alpine is CarPlay only, no android auto, and really only AM/FM/Aux or CarPlay for AV sources.

If you want bells and whistles, you get Pioneer or Kenwood, and interfaces that look like they were designed by a car audio team.

• Reply 11 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

iPad doesn't route call audio through the car speakers, or handle backup cameras.

There really is a benefit to having it in a head unit in the dashboard.

• Reply 12 of 54
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Interesting they focused on a fast switch over between carplay and Android, how often would you need to do that. Plus I would think you're either and Android or Apple household.
  • Reply 13 of 54
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    oQuote:

I was on Crutchfield's site Sunday night looking at radios for my 2004 Passat.  Today's radios are absolutely terrible.  You can't purchase a subdued car stereo anymore...

• Reply 14 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

It's already being sold by crutchfield.com for $750.. expect that price to drop to mid $600's fairly quickly once Amazon starts carrying it.

Also, after playing with one, Kenwood easily has the best Carplay and Android Auto head unit period.. 5 amp out, no software to play with to go from Carplay to Android Auto and back.. Can be a duel phone home w/o the pain..

Pioneer is buggy and a pain to switch between carplay and auto.

The "no need to go to Settings and switch phone to Android" is a big point for Kenwood over Pioneer today.

• Reply 15 of 54

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX007/Alpine-iLX-007.html?showAll=N&search=ilx-007&skipvs=T might be your answer. Note that it doesn't do XM, doesn't do HD radio, or other things Kenwood does.

• Reply 16 of 54
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    Quote:

Welcome to the world of car audio. Where taste and subtlety are no where to be found.

• Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Interesting they focused on a fast switch over between carplay and Android, how often would you need to do that. Plus I would think you're either and Android or Apple household.

Mostly, you're right. But think about people who buy this and have a shop install it, and then need to do some initial setup to make it work with their phone. That's kind of a pain. And what if you have a friend riding with you and they plug in theirs, it can't just switch? 

So, this fixes a small problem, but it's better.

• Reply 18 of 54
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member

Who cares how quickly it switches between CarPlay and Android Auto? Nobody changes their phone that frequently. /s

• Reply 19 of 54
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Go ahead. Let us know how that works for you.

• Reply 20 of 54
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    joe28753 wrote: »

yup, I've had some of the Pioneer AppRadio units and its always an exercise in futility. these bozos just dont get software.