Apple pulls Civil War games from App Store in ongoing controversy over Confederate flags

Comments

• Reply 41 of 117
    I read this and It's like when somebody says something stupid and you just squint as if to say "are you guys that freaking dumb?" Apple, I can't figure out how in this day and age with the amount of money you spend on corporate lawyers you don't realize that if you show bias to removing one type of racism you better remove it all.... Like anything with a nazi flag in it...hey, wolfenstein, better watch out.
  • Reply 42 of 117
    thebumthebum Posts: 58member

This is getting way out of hand.  History forgotten (or censored) is history repeated.

• Reply 43 of 117
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netrox View Post

Funny how those people are the same people who complain about illegals carrying Mexican flags saying it's an assault to our country yet have no problem waving Confederacy flag which is also an assault on our country.

Pro-Confedderates are the biggest threat to our national security. They are hoarding guns, clinging to their Bibles, and refusing to respect different viewpoints.

Cognitive dissonance at its best.

You need to be more open and accepting of others viewpoints.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

Have you even been to the South? Pro-Confederates, hoarding guns, clinging to Bibles, and refusing to respect different viewpoints actually exist in significant numbers. Southerners are still pissed off with the North.

Are you netrox in disguise?  Have you been to any ghetto in the North?  Anti-America, only difference is not clinging to bibles...

• Reply 44 of 117
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    razorpit wrote: »
    You need to be more open and accepting of others viewpoints.

Are you netrox in disguise?  Have you been to any ghetto in the North?  Anti-America, only difference is not clinging to bibles...

Visit California. It's like Russia with beaches and sunshine.
  • Reply 45 of 117
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    netrox wrote: »
    Funny how those people are the same people who complain about illegals carrying Mexican flags saying it's an assault to our country yet have no problem waving Confederacy flag which is also an assault on our country.

Pro-Confedderates are the biggest threat to our national security. They are hoarding guns, clinging to their Bibles, and refusing to respect different viewpoints.

Cognitive dissonance at its best.
    You make no sense.
  • Reply 46 of 117
    scottjdscottjd Posts: 64member
    thebum wrote: »
    This is getting way out of hand.  History forgotten (or censored) is history repeated.

Agreed, this is ridiculous, of course so is pulling the Dukes of Hazard car off the shelves.
    America is a melting pot, but we can't forget about our history and cater to everyone's free speech opinions and forget what, were, and how free speech even came about to what it is today.

New name for the country, probably what other countries will start calling us.
    United Sissies of America since it seems these days we over react and wine about everything. Maybe the first amendment was a mistake or is being abused to much these day. Just because a group of people complain about something doesn't mean everything needs to change overnight, or at all in this case because it's history.

Removing it from the states property in SC I agree with. They can fly the same flag everyone else does and put theirs in a museum where history belongs. But now games, toy cars from a Hollywood TV show, what's next?
  • Reply 47 of 117
    scottjd wrote: »
    Agreed, this is ridiculous, of course so is pulling the Dukes of Hazard car off the shelves.
    America is a melting pot, but we can't forget about our history and cater to everyone's free speech opinions and forget what, were, and how free speech even came about to what it is today.

New name for the country, probably what other countries will start calling us.
    United Sissies of America since it seems these days we over react and wine about everything. Maybe the first amendment was a mistake or is being abused to much these day. Just because a group of people complain about something doesn't mean everything needs to change overnight, or at all in this case because it's history.

Removing it from the states property in SC I agree with. They can fly the same flag everyone else does and out theirs in a museum where history belongs. But now games, toy cars from a Hollywood TV show, what's next?

They are decisions made by cowards covering their asses in service of their bottom line.
  • Reply 48 of 117
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

So replace the flag with one of the three actual Confederacy national flags and move on. 

• Reply 49 of 117
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member

If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to support Apple and it's products. Google has done the same things as have Amazon and others. You claim its PC going too far then you need to build your own platform and feature the confederate content you want on it. The Confederate X flag in particular was the largest attack on the United States ever and still stands as a symbol of racism. Of course it should be taken down. I'm sure none of you complaining would gripe about an app featuring the Isis flag being taken down from the app store and they haven't committed even a fraction of the violence against the US that the Confederacy did. 

• Reply 50 of 117
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    We now got to the point where a group can claim any word, thing, object or thought is offensive and anyone who uses them are some sort of racist. All it requires is to use the word, thing or object in a way which was never intended against a group and it now bad and anyone who uses it is doing it for bad reasons.

Better watch out all word will be band and illegal to sell anything with the group does not argee with. Some people should read 1984.

You know guns are racist tools since they are used agains some groups of people.

I am so tire this whole thing, of a group and use and say certian words but people not in that group are not allowed. It is only going to get worse.
  • Reply 51 of 117

This country is turning into (actually, has already turned into) an amalgam of Orwell's "1984", Huxley's "Brave New World" and Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451". Welcome to mob-rule at the speed of social media, all the while Hudge & Gudge (big government and big business) continue pulling the marionette strings of society.

*sigh*

• Reply 52 of 117
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    adonissmu wrote: »
    If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to support Apple and it's products. Google has done the same things as have Amazon and others. You claim its PC going too far then you need to build your own platform and feature the confederate content you want on it. The Confederate X flag in particular was the largest attack on the United States ever and still stands as a symbol of racism. Of course it should be taken down. I'm sure none of you complaining would gripe about an app featuring the Isis flag being taken down from the app store and they haven't committed even a fraction of the violence against the US that the Confederacy did. 

Except Apple didn't ban apps that were selling the Confederate flag. These were civil war games. You can't ban history. And since the guy who killed these nine people did so with a gun should Apple ban any games on the App Store that involved shooting and guns?
  • Reply 53 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Meanwhile, games featuring the Nazi flag are untouched. If Apple wants to be consistent Wolfenstein and other titles better be pulled as well.

This is so utterly ridiculous.

Progressives are trying to rewrite history folks! Read 1984 again (the novel, not the script of the Apple commercial). If a company wants to censor, that's fine, just be consistent. 

• Reply 54 of 117
    Quote:

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

Are you WhiteFlacon in disguise? I've lived in the ghetto in Indianapolis for many years and I hate to break this to you but inner-city ghettos are very American, with many people from that community attending church on Sunday. That's more American to me than some gun hoarding nut who thinks that as the pure master race, it will be up to them and their brotherhood to be prepared to take back America from Obama and the DHS StormBamaTroopers.

• Reply 55 of 117
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

How can anyone be offended by a flag, it's just a flag.

Bloody professional complainers and middle-aged white people worried about actually offending people so get offended on someone else's behalf.

• Reply 56 of 117
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member

This is only a step shy of other orthodoxies destroying historical sites and records (Al Qaeda, ISIS, North Korea, USSR). Do not get so overzealous about your point of view that you start thinking it's okay to erase a "bad" demographic from history. 

• Reply 57 of 117
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member

I was just able to see a Confederate flag on Safari. Apple needs to pull Safari!

• Reply 58 of 117
    Are there any "historical flags" apps that are being yanked due to this faddish madness sweeping the country?
  • Reply 59 of 117
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PBRSTREETG View Post

Are you WhiteFlacon in disguise? I've lived in the ghetto in Indianapolis for many years and I hate to break this to you but inner-city ghettos are very American, with many people from that community attending church on Sunday. That's more American to me than some gun hoarding nut who thinks that as the pure master race, it will be up to them and their brotherhood to be prepared to take back America from Obama and the DHS StormBamaTroopers.

Wow, you thats a real zinger there!  I've lived in the south for many years and I hate to break it to you but the South is very American.  Can't say I've run in to any one "ready to take back America from Obama and the DHS StormBamaTroopers."  But then again I've only spent time in about 12 southern states.

Whether someone hoards guns or Nintendo games makes no difference on whether or not they love their country.  It's their actions in the world is what defines them.  The nutcase that committed this atrocity should have already been hung.  There once was a time when you had to pay a consequence for your actions, but you can't do that anymore and as a result there is nothing holding people back from crimes like this.

The Indy ghetto sounds like a nice place, people still have their heads screwed on straight.  As a suggestion stay away from St. Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, and L.A. ghettos, they aren't as nice.  For some reason they're all about getting "The Man" there.  Wonder what that's all about, can you enlighten us on that?

• Reply 60 of 117
    This is excessive—ridiculous, even... it absolutely should be allowed within an historic context, such as representing sides in an historic battle simulation. Same would apply to the swastika used in historic context to represent the Nazi party.