Apple CEO Tim Cook celebrates Supreme Court decision on gay marriage with quote from Steve Jobs

Comments

• Reply 201 of 291
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by photoshop59 View Post

I want GAYS to RESPECT the religious beliefs of individuals, and religious institutions.

I want you to show me how living their own lives and expecting that they can have equal rights is failing to do that...

• Reply 202 of 291
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

It's supposed to be. That's why I find this decision to be very disturbing and it's setting a dangerous precedent. The Supreme Court isn't supposed to enact their own political vision in what they think is right. The Supreme Court has turned into an activist instead of being what they are supposed to be, a constitutional enforcer.  

You failed to understand any of the case law, president, or amendments involved.  I suspect you think of yourself as a libertarian...

• Reply 203 of 291
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

well, its kinda like this... 50 years ago the same thing was happening, but the topic was allowing blacks to marry whites. the conservative religious right, especially in the deep south where i live, tried to stop this from happening. now some didnt claim to "hate" these blacks, they just didnt consider them equals, and because they werent equals, they werent entitled to the same civil rights and, well, dignity, as whites. the thing is -- that is hate. there is only one race, which contains blacks, whites, straights, and gays. we are all the same, and we are all born equal. to deny civil rights & basic dignity to some people based on irrational impulses is simply giving in to your own biases and emotional weaknesses. ie, hating.

and even if your own actions toward gays are not violent or overly hateful, they certainly are from a lot of people. so supporting a movement that encourages hate -- whether overtly or subtly -- is an awful thing because it legitimizes and condones the overt, violent hate as well. do you really want to be an enabler to those who would spit on, beat, or kill gays? i sure wouldnt.

the good news -- in 10 years you wont care anymore. 20, tops.

This should be repeated until the bigots learn to read...

• Reply 204 of 291
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post

Actually, Autin is quite liberal.

Houston has a lot of liberals too.

Lots of liberals in big cities around the US.

Why?

Lots of welfare recepients in large cities.

And liberals want  to keep them addicted to the government hand outs.

More votes for liberal politicians that way.

Weird how the states and counties getting the most assistance are all conservative then, huh?

• Reply 205 of 291
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    Apple should be careful when pushing political causes. Not everyone agrees that redefining marriage is a good thing and that does not make them bigots. Now it is the confederate flag thing. Frankly, Tim Cooke should stick to what he was hired to do and not use his position to push his own personnel political and moral views. There are many good people, not bigots as many here would label them, who are becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the passive aggressive tactics of many on the moral liberal side of things. If that continues it will one day negatively impact Apple as a company selling technical gadgets.
  • Reply 206 of 291
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmcd View Post

Apple should be careful when pushing political causes. Not everyone agrees that redefining marriage is a good thing and that does not make them bigots. Now it is the confederate flag thing. Frankly, Tim Cooke should stick to what he was hired to do and not use his position to push his own personnel political and moral views. There are many good people, not bigots as many here would label them, who are becoming increasingly uncomfortable with the passive aggressive tactics of many on the moral liberal side of things. If that continues it will one day negatively impact Apple as a company selling technical gadgets.

In case you didn't hear, Google banned advertising of Confederate flag. Why aren't you complaining about google which is everywhere? 

• Reply 207 of 291
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Aside from the welfare comment, I've actually wondered why it is that large cities and coastal cities tend to lean more liberal. This is a serious sociological question. Smaller cities tend to lean more conservative. Maybe it's because in large cities, the options for mates are so much broader and acceptance of diverse attitudes leads to greater social and financial success? In a small city or town, everyone seems to know everyone else, therefore there are fewer opportunities for mate selection? I still don't really have an answer for this behavioral difference.

Easy, Republicans allegedly have more money so they leave the cities when crime increases. Not saying democrats are criminals.
  • Reply 208 of 291
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    slurpy wrote: »
    If you understood anything about Tim, you would know that he deeply believes this issue has absolutely nothing to do with "politics", but human rights. But of course, you don't get that, and never will. Tim has cherished and expanded Tim's legacy, and understands, as you do not, that that Steve's philosophy on "think different" applied to much more than computers, painfully obvious from the 1984 ad. It's sad that you're utterly blind to this level of obviousness. 

I'm a heterosexual, have no gay friends, and I've never, and will never march in gay pride parade. But unlike you, I'm happy to see others get the SAME rights as I have, without trying to restrict their actions by shoving my beliefs and morals down their throats. The legalization of gay marriage will positively affect many, and will not negatively affect me in the slightest. I think one has to be insanely selfish and mean-spirited to viciously fight against something like that. If anything, a big shame on you. Nothing that Tim Cook has said or done has ever harmed you, yet, you have no problem harming and restricting others based on your personal beliefs. 
    Best comment in thread. Thank you.
  • Reply 209 of 291
    Not so sure about that. You may recall the cake baker in Colorado who refused to sell a wedding cake to a gay couple due to her religious beliefs. She was sued and lost.

That's because baking a cake is in no way a religious act. The baker injected religion into an otherwise secular transaction and used it to terminate the transaction.

On the other hand, presiding over a wedding in a church is directly religious and a pastor's denying to marry a gay couple would be protected by the first amendment.
  • Reply 210 of 291
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    Quote:

"I'm proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me,"

I get it that he's comfortable being gay, but what does it have to do with being a gift from god, I mean if everyone had this wonderful godly gift bestowed upon them then the human race would have died out long ago.

• Reply 211 of 291
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wakefinance View Post

That's because baking a cake is in no way a religious act. The baker injected religion into an otherwise secular transaction and used it to terminate the transaction.

On the other hand, presiding over a wedding in a church is directly religious and a pastor's denying to marry a gay couple would be protected by the first amendment.

I'm sure there will be plenty of lawsuits in the coming months and years surrounding all sides of this decision.

• Reply 212 of 291
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Aside from the welfare comment, I've actually wondered why it is that large cities and coastal cities tend to lean more liberal. This is a serious sociological question. Smaller cities tend to lean more conservative. Maybe it's because in large cities, the options for mates are so much broader and acceptance of diverse attitudes leads to greater social and financial success? In a small city or town, everyone seems to know everyone else, therefore there are fewer opportunities for mate selection? I still don't really have an answer for this behavioral difference.

It's quite simple really. The large cities especially those on the coast is where all the large corporations are and large corporations have the highest salaries which attract the most educated employees. Highly educated people tend to be less religious and more liberal.
  • Reply 213 of 291
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It's quite simple really. The large cities especially those on the coast is where all the large corporations are and large corporations have the highest salaries which attract the most educated employees. Highly educated people tend to be less religious and more liberal.

I think it's a little more basic than that. Greater diversity means greater opportunity for mate selection and better hunting (for money).

• Reply 214 of 291

Everything you need to know about marriage rights in one cartoon: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/gay_marriage

• Reply 215 of 291
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member

While some of you complain about Apple being "pro-gay", here's an article about Google being "pro-gay" too - also forcing down your throat with google search engine praising gay marriage and filming gay pride parades and hiding surprise Pride eggs:  

Quote:

Google has long been a supporter of gay rights. In addition to participating in pride marches worldwide, the company launched a live stream of the New York City Pride March in 2014 so global viewers could tune in via Google+ and YouTube. 

The company is also known for hiding "Easter eggs" and animations in their searches. In the past, for example, typing "Let It Snow" during the winter holidays triggered an animated snowfall within the browser window as well as a frozen lake-like effect that showed the path your cursor has taken.

But that's not the end. Facebook is also offering you the magic tool to paint your profile picture of rainbow for free!!!! AMAZING! 

http://mashable.com/2015/06/26/google-gay-marriage-easter-egg/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link ;

So, still thinking about switching? ;) 

• Reply 216 of 291
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I think it's a little more basic than that. Greater diversity means greater opportunity for mate selection and better hunting (for money).

What on earth has mate selection opportunity got to do with political leaning? It really does simply correlate best with eduction level.

• Reply 217 of 291
    brertechbrertech Posts: 31member
    analogjack wrote: »
    I get it that he's comfortable being gay, but what does it have to do with being a gift from god, I mean if everyone had this wonderful godly gift bestowed upon them then the human race would have died out long ago.
    Because overcoming adversity makes you stronger. I can personally relate to what he means, as a fellow southerner who grew up gay and is now successful. It made me work extra hard to prove myself.
  • Reply 218 of 291
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    And there you have it! When Steve Jobs was dying on the floor of the bathroom at Apple Corporation, Cook wasn't in there trying to help Steve... he was trying to cornhole him.

Cook is a very, very confused person!

Hey, Cook... Steve Jobs wasn't gay. He didn't even like you that much. He sure as hell didn't want You dry-humping his ass when he was dying! That rainbow Apple logo from the 80's was a COINCIDENCE!

"Apple, Corp. - The Gay Political Machine!"
  • Reply 219 of 291
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    brertech wrote: »
    analogjack wrote: »
    Because overcoming adversity makes you stronger. I can personally relate to what he means, as a fellow southerner who grew up gay and is now successful. It made me work extra hard to prove myself.

So when Tallest Skil announces that he's PROUD that he will hump any goat on the farm with a confederate flag draped over its back, then we should all applaud him for overcoming adversity?
  • Reply 220 of 291
    prokip wrote: »
    All, (not some) developed civilisations in history (the Babylonians, Persian, Greeks, Romans etc etc) collapsed one sexual craziness became the norm.

God save America!
    Even if that's true, which it isn't, what does it have to do with anything? How is marriage equality in any way related to "sexual craziness" (whatever the **** that is)?