Apple kicks off production of next-gen iPhone with Force Touch, report says

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    ...what is the difference between force touch and long press. Sounds the same to me
    One is forceful, one is long.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,387member
    Force touch will be a fundamental change to the UI and to limit it to just the highest-end phone would be a nightmare for developers and piss off users who simply don't want something that big. It is not the same as the 6 having a camera with optical image stabilization while the 6 doesn't. It would be the same as the 6 having no camera at all.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    alandailalandail Posts: 757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

...what is the difference between force touch and long press. Sounds the same to me

try the new mac pro track pad.  you can touch, click and deep click.  There clearly is difference between touch and drag (select) and click and drag (move).  The track pad doesn't actually move when you click or deep click it aside from haptic feedback, the haptic feedback causes you to feel movement that doesn't actually occur.

Force Click could provide similar kinds of additional functionality on iOS devices.

• Reply 24 of 55
    syrransyrran Posts: 42member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by steinm88299 View Post

Only thing I really want is force touch to get rid of all notifications on the phone. I like that a lot on the watch and is sorely missing in iOS. Android has had a way to get rid of all notifications at one time for quite a while now.

How do I get rid of the "battery low" notification when the battery hits 20% and 15% capacity?  The phone makes a loud beep and the screen pops on- both things waste the battery and I am always aware of the situation and need to conserve power, not waste it.

• Reply 25 of 55
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    syrran wrote: »
    How do I get rid of the "battery low" notification when the battery hits 20% and 15% capacity?  The phone makes a loud beep and the screen pops on- both things waste the battery and I am always aware of the situation and need to conserve power, not waste it.

Weird. I've never seen this in any iOS.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    According to this Business Insider article with a former Apple intern Jony Ive is not a fan of the camera bulge on the iPhone 6/6 Plus.

http://www.donotlink.com/fpp1

If that's true I'd be very curious to know the reason for keeping the bulge even though Ive hated it. Unless he wouldn't budge on the thickness and so he settled for the bulge even though he hated it. One would assume then he hates the antenna lines as well. It will be interesting to see if either of those change this fall.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,128member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by alandail View Post

The phones became computers

Well...they've always been that in the broadest sense, but there are some really interesting possibilities coming. Maybe a "phone" should be nothing but a display - all the processing and guts moved off it to a separate device. You pick an Apple Watch, iPhone, iPhone+ iPad mini, iPad Air, iPad Pro, MacBook/keyboard sized "screen", and it connects to processing and guts that are off that device. Yes, some lag, and maybe thats some ways off, but AW is showing some intriguing possibilities. It really is the stuff of science fiction - kind of exciting.

• Reply 28 of 55
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    rogifan wrote: »
    According to this Business Insider article with a former Apple intern Jony Ive is not a fan of the camera bulge on the iPhone 6/6 Plus.

If that's true I'd be very curious to know the reason for keeping the bulge even though Ive hated it. Unless he wouldn't budge on the thickness and so he settled for the bulge even though he hated it. One would assume then he hates the antenna lines as well. It will be interesting to see if either of those change this fall.

its obvious -- because better image quality is more important to more people than a design ideal. pretty simple. can you get over it now? or would making the same complaint in another 50 or 100 posts make it better for you?
  • Reply 29 of 55
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    syrran wrote: »

please, do tell us how much of your battery a notification uses up? surely it must be a significant amount in order to come up w/ an all new whine?
  • Reply 30 of 55
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    its obvious -- because better image quality is more important to more people than a design ideal. pretty simple. can you get over it now? or would making the same complaint in another 50 or 100 posts make it better for you?

Huh? I don't follow. What have I been complaining about?
  • Reply 31 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I still say Force Touch is just software that determines the "footprint" of a finger on a touch surface. There's no real reason why Force Touch couldn't be enabled on all existing Retina touch surfaces.

• Reply 32 of 55
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Maybe a "phone" should be nothing but a display [...] It really is the stuff of science fiction - kind of exciting.

Science Fiction?

The 60's are calling and they want you to return as soon as possible.

• Reply 33 of 55
    syrransyrran Posts: 42member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

please, do tell us how much of your battery a notification uses up? surely it must be a significant amount in order to come up w/ an all new whine?

If you were to witness the event happen you would agree it is a very stupid thing and It is one Android feature that apparently can only be eliminated by "rooting" the OS. I used to do such things but now I have to earn money so don't have the energy.

• Reply 34 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Syrran View Post

The iPhone 6 has > hour of battery life left at 20%, for most uses. More if you're "aware of the situation" and not doing something stupid like playing a GPU-intensive video game. And you're fretting over a beep and a momentary screen light up?

• Reply 35 of 55

Force Touch - Curious, on the watch and touch pad you can put pressure sensors under the screen. I think it would require different technology to implement in iPad/iPhone. Any thought on how Force Gesture can be/is implemented?

Interesting tech & usage case here.

https://vimeo.com/58210238

• Reply 36 of 55
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,386member
    Actually, because the iPhone 5c and 5s continue to sell very strongly. I gave a 5s as a gift, and it was well received. 64-bit CPU, slow-mo camera, Touch ID...what's not to like? I'm sure Apple got the message: there is demand for a portable phone. Remember the 1990-2005 era when mobile phones got smaller, lighter, and more pocket-friendly with every new generation? What ever happened to that?

The iPhone 6 is not "portable"? Thanks for letting us know.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,128member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Science Fiction?

The 60's are calling and they want you to return as soon as possible.

Well played sir. Well played.

• Reply 38 of 55
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Optics. There was no choice, really.

• Reply 39 of 55
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,657member
    I still say Force Touch is just software that determines the "footprint" of a finger on a touch surface. There's no real reason why Force Touch couldn't be enabled on all existing Retina touch surfaces.

It's nice that you still say this. You do say a number of things that are in direct conflict with actual reality.

If they change how Force Touch works, they might do that, but at present, Force Touch does not work that way on any device.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jonyo wrote: »
    fallenjt wrote: »
    load your music on iCloud
    itunes match has a track limit of 25000, my music library is too big.

They're upping it to 100k this fall:

Eddy CueVerified account
    ?@cue
    @karlfranks @robmsimoes 25k for launch and working to get to 100k for iOS 9

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/28/ios-8-4-to-be-released-8-am-pst-on-tuesday-itunes-match-song-limit-will-increase-to-100000-with-ios-9/