How to request a song to air on Apple's Beats 1 radio station

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2015
Something not widely known about Apple's Beats 1 radio station is that listeners can make song requests, in a process that's a little different from conventional, terrestrial radio stations.

Beats 1 DJ Julie Adenuga.
Beats 1 DJ Julie Adenuga.

Apple has set up a special Request a Song page on Tumblr, with lists of phone numbers covering regions like Canada, the U.S., Germany, Japan, and Australia. In the case of Canada, the U.S., and the U.K., toll-free numbers are available. People from outside the listed regions must call a U.S. number where long-distance charges apply.

The full list of numbers includes:
  • US AND WORLD: +1 (310) 299-8756
  • US TOLL FREE: +1 (877) 720-6293
  • CANADA TOLL FREE: +1 855-648-0703
  • UK TOLL FREE: +44 800 802 1238
  • FRANCE: +33 9 75 18 21 60
  • JAPAN: +81 3-4589-5123
  • GERMANY: +49 1573 5982361
  • BRAZIL: +55 11 4950-1098
  • MEXICO: +52 81 4170 3626
  • DOMINICAN REPUBLIC: +1 829-956-5158
  • AUSTRALIA: +61 2 8294 5836
  • ITALY: +39 02 9475 1288
  • IRELAND: +353 76 680 5749
  • NEW ZEALAND: +64 9-887 8360
Callers are asked to leave a recorded message with their name, location, and the song before hanging up. Request messages themselves may be played on the air, but there is no guarantee that one of Apple's DJs will accept a request, and some shows are either repeats or do not accept listener suggestions.

An alternative option involves using the Messages app for iOS or Mac to send a request to [email protected].

Beats 1 debuted on June 30, and is anchored by three main DJs: Zane Lowe, Ebro Darden, and Julie Adenuga. There are also a variety of celebrity shows however, hosted by names like St. Vincent and Elton John.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    For the iMessage-based requests, I believe they want a voice recording as well (press and hold the microphone icon to the right of the text entry box, swipe up when ready to send). They don't want just iMessage text messages, as they want to play the requester's voice on the air.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    I want Zane Lowe to say "ALWAYS ON" and "WORLDWIDE" again.

*gasp*

They got my request!! Sqeeee!!
  • Reply 3 of 21
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    damonf wrote: »
    For the iMessage-based requests, I believe they want a voice recording as well (press and hold the microphone icon to the right of the text entry box, swipe up when ready to send). They don't want just iMessage text messages, as they want to play the requester's voice on the air.

That's a great tip, thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 21
    massconn72massconn72 Posts: 162member

My first request would be to shut it down and give up. I just don't give a damn about it.

• Reply 5 of 21
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

My first request would be to shut it down and give up. I just don't give a damn about it.

• Reply 6 of 21
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lostkiwi View Post

That's a great tip, thanks!

You're welcome!

• Reply 7 of 21
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Yeah, **** all the other millions of people who are enjoying it, they should shut it down because YOU don't give a damn about it. I'm constantly amazed at some of the narcissism, self-righteousness, and selfishness of people on this forum. 

No one is fucking forcing you to listen to it, and its existence does not affect your life in any negative way. Yet, your wish it to prevent others from enjoying it because of some misguided vindictiveness. You sound like an awesome person. Based on your other posts, you don't give a damn about most things concerning Apple anyway, which you make loud and clear, over and over again- maybe you should move on to something more interesting to you?

Quote:

Quote:

Now, if they could just make them any good. But I guess that's asking way too much. Kind of like how much Apple paid for the Beats name.

Quote:

Who gives a damn what Pharrell Williams wears on his arm? Or for that matter any of the other "talents" on that waste of a show. And I use the term talents VERY loosely.

Quote:

iCouldn't care less about the iWatch. iBored again. Keep it.

Quote:

iStillBored and iDon'tCare

Quote:

ibored and idon't care

Quote:

iYawn!

Quote:

FOOLS!

Quote:

Keep the f'in thing. 

Quote:

And still I don't care.

Quote:

Who the "F" cares?

These are FULL posts from you, not excerpts. How the hell do trolls like you, who contribute absolutely nothing except hatred and trash, survive for so long here? I would think at least one word posts, which most of yours are composed of, would be banned. What an embarrassing and nasty posting record. The extend of your posting is simply claiming that things millions of others use and enjoy are "shit" and "crap". Mods, hello? 

• Reply 8 of 21
    massconn72massconn72 Posts: 162member

Wow, somebody has way too much time on his hands. Got you going didn't I? Exactly the reason for my posts!

• Reply 9 of 21
    Quote:

Wow, somebody has way too much time on his hands. Got you going didn't I? Exactly the reason for my posts!

So you just admitted the "exactly the reason for your posts" is to "get people going", ie. a troll? Not to actually contribute anything of value of this forum, or engage in real discussion?

Mods, are you reading this?

And yes, it took all of 5 min, worth it if it will bring attention to your spam-bot type trash by the mods and get you banned so we don't need to trudge through your never-ending spam. A service to me and everyone else on this board. 

• Reply 11 of 21
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    With the advent of full library of apple music available to everyone through streaming, why woukd anyone make a call to have a so played for them..? ... When they can do it with a simple search in the app.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

With the advent of full library of apple music available to everyone through streaming, why woukd anyone make a call to have a so played for them..? ... When they can do it with a simple search in the app.

Uh, you DO realize that requests are typically made for other people, right? Or because you'd like to share a song with others? Has nothing to do with what you want to hear. 

• Reply 14 of 21

They were taking tweets, too, weren't they? I thought on the first day they said they'd be monitoring #beats1 for requests at certain times.

• Reply 15 of 21
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Lots of songs they are playing, Julie in particular are not in the library. Probably not in any library.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    yojimbo007 wrote: »

For the joy of listening to an inflated ego talk over their requested song, I guess.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    splifsplif Posts: 603member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Some have not subscribed to the streaming service. They may still listen to Beats 1.

• Reply 18 of 21
    bestkeptsecretbestkeptsecret Posts: 4,265member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Uh, you DO realize that requests are typically made for other people, right? Or because you'd like to share a song with others? Has nothing to do with what you want to hear. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splif View Post

Some have not subscribed to the streaming service. They may still listen to Beats 1.

I had the same question as @Yojimbo007. What both of you said makes sense.

• Reply 19 of 21
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    Lets think about this. Imagine 3 mil listening worldwide. 1% of those decide to request a song. That is 30K song requests. If each song is on average 5 minutes than it would take 104 days to play all these songs back to back. Say that 1% of the requests are actually played. That is still over one full day at 24/7. I think I have a better chance of winning the lottery than actually having my request chosen and heard by anyone I know. Does anyone actually think about these things? Or maybe they do and only two people actually request a song, one is actually played and heard by the person who then goes on the Internet to tell the world that it works.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Hopefully a Beats 2, Beats 3, etc. will follow, focusing on blues, jazz, classical and so on. I get that electronic dance music is supposedly their target market now, but that stuff gets old fast.