New video showcases Apple's participation in 2015 San Francisco Pride Parade

Comments

• Reply 61 of 193
    diegogdiegog Posts: 135member
    Actually, I answered your question you are just refusing to see it...or maybe it's a reading comprehension issue. Who knows. I said I don't know. Nobody here knows why. They can only guess or make wild assumptions colored by their own personal beliefs. I did say that maybe it was because those employees had, until last Friday, been unequal.

As to your other assertions. Celebrating a milestone for some of your employees in no way disrespects or takes away from his other employees. To suggest such is narrow minded. I have friends that work at Apple and by all accounts Tim Cook and the entire management are very supportive of all of the different employee groups within the company. This so happens to be a significant event for the LGBT community. Hundreds of corporations and public figures and even religions were behind and lauded this decision. You don't speak for all religions when you say that Tim Cook is being disrespectful of Christians because he supporting gay rights. There is a large portion of the Christian population the supports marriage equality. If it doesn't fit with your specific version of Christianity, then...sorry. Find solace in the fact that it won't affect you in the slightest.

As to the suggestion that Tim Cook should either keep his mouth shut or support every cause worldwide no matter what the issue? Then it's only right that you get on every forum worldwide and demand that every CEO, every executive, every public figure, etc do the same and hold them to the same standard. That would be commensurate with what you are demanding of him.

But in the end..it makes no difference what your opinion is...however...your right to have that opinion is protected constitutionally. As is Mr. Cooks right to support marriage equality. So if you TRULY had the conviction behind your words you would tell all the companies that supported marriage equality how you feel with your wallet and stop using their products and services. I would imagine that both you...and many people on the board would be much happier...
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Why isn't Tim Cook marching for his minority employees? His handicapped employees? Females? Suicidal Chinese factory employees who</span>
    make Apple products and <span style="line-height:1.4em;">work long hours at a highly stressful job with low income???</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">If Cook were showing support for his </span>
    religious <span style="line-height:1.4em;">employees - which statistically speaking, most likely outnumber his gay employees</span>
    <em style="line-height:1.4em;">by a very large margin</em>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">, that would not mean that he was against same-sex couples. </span>

Ducking my question with childish sarcasm is not an answer, so I'll say it again: Why isn't Tim Cook out there marching for his employees with religious beliefs?
  • Reply 62 of 193

Im surprised Christians aren't backing polygamous marriages...what could be more traditional and biblical than that?  

Call it what you want.  But as of last Friday, any two legally consenting adults can be joined in matrimony..or holy matrimony as the case may be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Actually, "Marriage Equality" isn't the law. If it was, polygamists could be married too.

• Reply 63 of 193

I always laugh when people start out a sentence with " i have no problem with such-and-such, but...." which usually means they are about to explain why they have a problem with those people...

SOME gay people flaunt their sexuality...a very small percentage.  SOME straight people flaunt their sexuality...a small percentage also but way more in numbers than gay people. Do you have a problem with them?  What about people flaunting their religion? Is it ok for Christians to do that?  What about Muslims?

Marriage started out as a business arrangement. regardless of actually being performed by a church it was nothing more than that in the beginning. Period. Over time it became less about business and more about the couple until you have what we have today.  If it was truly JUST a religious ceremony, then why can a JOP conduct a marriage?  Why does the govt provide a marriage license?  Maybe EVERYONE (gay straight) should get a Civli Union Cert from the govt, and churches can give out marriage certs.  That would be fair.  Because to call non-gay couples a marriage and gay couples a civil union would be considered 'separate but equal'...and that doesn't square with the constitution.

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

I have no problem with LGBT people, but I can't understand why some of us love to shove our sexuality into the faces of others. Is that really necessary?

As far as marriage is concerned, that was originally a Christian ideal, and so isn't compatible with same sex couples. What is wrong with a civil partnership? In the UK at least, it gave you identical rights to marriage.

• Reply 64 of 193

Thank you Mr. School House Rocks for the lesson...

The SC is not legislating...that sounds a lot like FoxNews rhetoric...or..maybe you are running for the GOP nomination.  Either way, the SC did exactly what it was supposed to do. Funny how, when SCOTUS does something people like you agree with then it's all "justice was served today, as the founding fathers intended proving once again that our system of checks and balances works for our country....jobs...benghazi"

The Legislature legislated.  The Supreme Court found it unconstitutional, basically voiding what the Legislature did.  That is what's called, please repeat after me...CHECKS. AND. BALANCES.

Of note...you are repeating exactly what some people said after Loving vs. Virginia, or when Johnson signed CRA64, etc, etc

And this is why America is doomed folks. The Supreme Court should not be legislating. Why do you think we have a legislative branch, which is Congress. The Supreme Court is not part of the Legislative Branch. It is the Judicial Branch.

• Reply 65 of 193

Thank you...it's funny...cause it's true...

Originally Posted by Smurfman View Post

GREAT comeback! /s

• Reply 66 of 193
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    atlapple wrote: »

The only new product under Tim Cook is the Apple Watch. All other products had already been established. It was also widely reported that Jobs had worked on future Apple products before his death, we just don't know which ones. There could also be a strong argument that Ive is the creative mind of Apple not Cook.

Wrong. Tim Cook has been just as, if not more, influential in Apple's success since he started working there in 1998.

His role as COO and worldwide operations is what made the success of all of the iOS devices even feasable to produce at scale.

Always sad to see that so many people think that a company the size of Apple is run similar to a corner deli or Mom & Pop hardware store (do any if those still exist?) :rolleyes:
  • Reply 67 of 193
    atlapple wrote: »

The only new product under Tim Cook is the Apple Watch. All other products had already been established. It was also widely reported that Jobs had worked on future Apple products before his death, we just don't know which ones. There could also be a strong argument that Ive is the creative mind of Apple not Cook.

OMG! Well shimmer me timbers we've got ourselves a bonafide * "intelligentacle" here folks! :no:

* On purpose for OP to go away and search for the definition.
  • Reply 68 of 193

Actually, "Marriage Equality" isn't the law. If it was, polygamists could be married too.

Please explain why those that can afford to financially, provide security and stomach the daily conflict AKA polygamists, shouldn't be considered equal under the law.

Also as DiegoG already stated: how biblical.
  • Reply 69 of 193
    elijahg wrote: »
    I have no problem with LGBT people, but I can't understand why some of us love to shove our sexuality into the faces of others. Is that really necessary?

As far as marriage is concerned, that was originally a Christian ideal, and so isn't compatible with same sex couples. What is wrong with a civil partnership? In the UK at least, it gave you identical rights to marriage.

Originally a christian ideal you say?
    So what was it called before Jesus was born?
    Were Joseph and Mary simply "significant others"?
    Is that why there's this thing called immaculate conception?
    What is the definitive word for a child being born out of wedlock again?

I think you need to ponder your answers to those questions... in private please... before you post next time.

Happy Note: you're right about civil partnerships though. Marriage as it's known these days is a commercial endeavor and about lawful benefits, more than a personal spiritual committment for life to someone.
  • Reply 70 of 193
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    Actually, to those of you who claim to speak for someone you never actually met (unlike me) or knew well (nice Ouija Board you got there!) -- you're wrong.

Steve Jobs, not Tim Cook, was in charge when Apple began offering benefits to same-sex couples on par with married couples, and fought back against Proposition (h)8.

Also, the Second Amendment and the NRA have absolutely nothing to do with each other. The NRA is to the Second Amendment as the Nazis were to the concept of patriotism.
  • Reply 71 of 193
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Apple has been practicing discrimination lately and I don't like that they jumped in on the liberal kneejerk hate bandwagon recently when they pulled certain apps and things that had the confederate flag in them. So what if there was a shooting? Stuff happens. I'm not even from the southern states, but I found that to be very hateful on Apple's part and on the part of other liberal organizations that engage in and participate in discrimination and hate censorship. I even read recently that TV Land pulled the Dukes of Hazard tv series. WTF? I used to watch that show when I was a kid. These liberals are just getting out of control recently. Somebody needs to put a leash on them.

I don't even have any big issues with this whole gay parade, but I bet you that if Apple came out in favor of certain other issues, then the same people on this forum that are supporting Apple in this particular instance, would be 100% against them, and that is called hypocrisy, but what else can anybody expect from liberal hypocrites?:smokey:

• Reply 72 of 193
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chasm View Post

The NRA is to the Second Amendment as the Nazis were to the concept of patriotism.

Actually, the recent liberal mass purging of all things confederate can be compared to Nazi book burnings that took place in the twentieth century. 

• Reply 73 of 193
    Great video. The wonderful thing is that, although the bigots may be well represented in threads like this, in the real world they are now an insignificant and irrelevant fringe group pushing hate and ignorance with, thankfully, rapidly diminishing effect. Apple, Google, Microsoft, and every major tech company, not to mention thousands of non-tech companies, are participating in Pride. They're showing that supporting equality isn't 'political'. It's simply the right thing to do. Because it's the 21st century.
  • Reply 74 of 193
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Apple had a presence at Pride. So did Google, Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft...

This had nothing to do with Cook being gay and him using Apple as his soapbox. I'm afraid your homophobia is out of step with modern America.

• Reply 75 of 193
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Quote:

Thinking Apple shouldn't be involved in political causes that don't concern their business =/= 'homophobia'.

Being inclusive is bigger than politics.

• Reply 76 of 193
    radarradar Posts: 271member

• Reply 77 of 193

• Reply 78 of 193

• Reply 79 of 193
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Bollocks. I only hope Apple will queue one day  in foreseeable future its employees to defend right of working man to minimum wage above survival level.... No? Oh, what a shock!

Excellent point. Cook's double-standard on this issue is astounding. He makes a personal fortune from a company while using it at every opportunity to spout human rights for his own progressive cause (albeit one which relates to him directly), yet his personal profit is off the sweat of the lowest possible factory wage he can get away with paying (directly or indirectly) to overseas factory workers he will never meet. LGBT is somehow something Apple should have 'pride' in, but sending jobs offshore to third world sweatshops/factories doesn't seem to get these same 'activists' hopping on trains and marching. Typical Me-Generation type activism.

I don't have a problem with people being gay - each to their own - but this fact together with Apple's willingness to make enormous profits from doing business/exploiting labour in countries with abysmal human rights records and deplorable labor standards—and to remain conveniently quiet about this—reeks of extreme hypocrisy. Where's your voice on these far more important issues, Tim? Where are the slick videos and Apple parades and public statements and marches? 

• Reply 80 of 193
    ncil49ncil49 Posts: 30member
    What do investors care about? $$$. If the net number of customers apple has is greater publicly supporting gay rights than not.....then you do it. That's all that matters. Maybe not to Cook and a few others but they are trumped by the opinion of the investing world.
    If Apple cuts their product sales to the Muslim world and anti-homosexuality Korea, China, etc., and they should to be congruous, will they gain more customers than loose? No. Will supporting gay rights publicly in the current cultural climate garner more sales than lose? Y. Cook may do it for his beliefs but the Board, Icahn, and hedge funds allow because it will make money. Everything else is bread and circus.