Worries about sales of Samsung's Galaxy S6 temper investor expectations ahead of earnings

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMG View Post

What goes around, comes around. Samsung has alienated those die-hards by (a) making it look so much like an iPhone it isn't funny, and (b) designing in all those things that Samsung fans have so often criticized Apple about, like non-replaceable batteries. Samsung will continue to decline in relevance, which makes me very happy.

You nailed it! Absolutely the case.

• Reply 22 of 74
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Did you even read that Kantar article?

The Galaxy S5 from last year is OUTSELLING the Galaxy S6 from this year. How can anybody spin this as a positive for Samsung?

Even worse, although Samsung holds #2 and #3, combined they aren't even close to the #1 selling iPhone. This isn't a photo finish between 3 top devices. This is a slaughter by the iPhone with the S5 and S6 fighting over table scraps.

Yes I read it.  Did you?  The S6 has not been on sale for the full period reported on.  It is also only talking about US sales - a market in which Apple is clearly dominant.  I would imagine Samsung's main concern would be the global sales picture and whether the S6 has managed to reverse the trend of their declining profits.  28-35% of the US market is not 'table scraps'.  That is pure hyperbole.

In other news:  Apple and Samsung BOTH make very large profits making and selling smartphones.

• Reply 23 of 74
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RonMG View Post

What goes around, comes around. Samsung has alienated those die-hards by (a) making it look so much like an iPhone it isn't funny, and (b) designing in all those things that Samsung fans have so often criticized Apple about, like non-replaceable batteries. Samsung will continue to decline in relevance, which makes me very happy.

The Removable battery, Memory Card Expansion and Water Proofing!!!  It's funny how these Fandroids can no longer attack Apple over these things as your poor S6 now has none of that!!!  Plastic was so great you all said and that's gone also.  Then there's the Glass Back.  Now much was the iPhone 4/4S bashed over that?   Samsung has been turning there Phone into a iPhone.  Both hardware and software with touchwiz.  Why not just get the real thing!!!

• Reply 24 of 74
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What analytics? If companies aren't providing sales figures how are they coming up with these figures. How do we even know what the total market is to be able to assign share?

Knew an Apple hater a long time ago. He would go to his local CompUSA store and count the Mac boxes on the shelves once a week. Then he would make his ‘report’ proving that Mac sales were abysmal because the box count only showed one Mac had been ‘sold'. This is essentially the same as how the analysts come up with their numbers these days.

• Reply 25 of 74
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And yet Deutsche Bank claims iPhone growth will underperform in 2016. image

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/deutsche-bank-cautions-apple-iphone-122819905.html

The same is said about Apple every year and every year Apple proves them 100% wrong!!!   Maybe one of these days they'll said Apple will just Perform.  Not Under perform or even Over perform, that way they won't be as wrong as always.  Right in the middle instead of always Negative.

• Reply 26 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

The acceptability of market information seems to be directly proportional to how positive it is towards Apple or how negative it is towards Samsung.

The number of times we see you whining on AI seems directly proportional to how good Apple is doing/bad competitors are doing.

Quote:

Yes I read it.  Did you?  The S6 has not been on sale for the full period reported on.  It is also only talking about US sales - a market in which Apple is clearly dominant.  I would imagine Samsung's main concern would be the global sales picture and whether the S6 has managed to reverse the trend of their declining profits.  28-35% of the US market is not 'table scraps'.  That is pure hyperbole.

In other news:  Apple and Samsung BOTH make very large profits making and selling smartphones.

Oh, so now you're picking and choosing numbers? Sorry, but those total sales for Samsung are made up mostly of their low-end junk phones, NOT the S5 or S6. The ridiculously low ASP that Samsung themselves announced is concrete proof of this. You DO know Grade 6 math, don't you? You ARE capable of figuring out something as simple as ASP, right? Or are you stupid enough to tell us that 28-35% of the US market is only the S5 and S6? Come on, we know you really want to say it, even though you know it's a lie.

S6 hasn't been on sale for the full period? So what? Samsung announced huge pre-order numbers for the S6. While Samsung hasn't announced anything officially regarding sales (like they USED to do before the flops that were the S5, S6 and Note 4), many news agencies reported the S6 was doing much better than the S5 WHEN IT LAUNCHED. Even with the S6 only being on sale for a portion of the period it still should have handily beat the S5. It didn't, and that's terrible new for Samsung regardless of how you try to spin it.

• Reply 27 of 74
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    jbdragon wrote: »
    The Removable battery, Memory Card Expansion and Water Proofing!!!  It's funny how these Fandroids can no longer attack Apple over these things as your poor S6 now has none of that!!!  Plastic was so great you all said and that's gone also.  Then there's the Glass Back.  Now much was the iPhone 4/4S bashed over that?   Samsung has been turning there Phone into a iPhone.  Both hardware and software with touchwiz.  Why not just get the real thing!!!
    Nice one.

My friends who have Samsung phones are not happy about those changes. None of them have upgraded. Of course I get to tease them about it because those were their selling points. Their issues with my iPhone was screen size but now I'm rocking an iPhone 6 Plus 128gig. So now all they pick at is LCD vs OLED.
  • Reply 28 of 74
    Quote:

The number of times we see you whining on AI seems directly proportional to how good Apple is doing/bad competitors are doing.

Oh, so now you're picking and choosing numbers? Sorry, but those total sales for Samsung are made up mostly of their low-end junk phones, NOT the S5 or S6. The ridiculously low ASP that Samsung themselves announced is concrete proof of this. You DO know Grade 6 math, don't you? You ARE capable of figuring out something as simple as ASP, right? Or are you stupid enough to tell us that 28-35% of the US market is only the S5 and S6? Come on, we know you really want to say it, even though you know it's a lie.

S6 hasn't been on sale for the full period? So what? Samsung announced huge pre-order numbers for the S6. While Samsung hasn't announced anything officially regarding sales (like they USED to do before the flops that were the S5, S6 and Note 4), many news agencies reported the S6 was doing much better than the S5 WHEN IT LAUNCHED. Even with the S6 only being on sale for a portion of the period it still should have handily beat the S5. It didn't, and that's terrible new for Samsung regardless of how you try to spin it.

What is the source of your information on the S5 and S6 sales as a proportion of Samsung's sales in the US?

• Reply 29 of 74
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    cnocbui wrote: »

Yes, but only one of the two has profits heading in a southerly direction.

Guess which one?:lol:
  • Reply 30 of 74
    cnocbui wrote: »
    kpom wrote: »

If the S6 is being outsold by the S5, that probably does worry Samsung, since the S5 has a lower selling price.

That is likely true, but  if they are making as much profit per unit with the S5, that would be some consolation to them I would imagine.  I suspect there would be some other manufacturers who would love to have that particular 'problem'

You overlooked the issue behind Samsung's price increase of the S6 phones... Samsung thought they could raise their phone prices to the same as Apple's iPhones thereby hoping to be perceived as a quality phone deserving of its high-end pricing (like the iPhone).

"Not so fast", said the buyers, "We don't see it that way, You can't put a hood ornament on a Hundia and call it a Jaguar."

So Samsung can't win by trying to undercut Apple's price, and they can't win by trying to wedge themselves in the "top tier" pricing category. Samsung lacks loyal customers, and their customer services is sub-par,and they have no ecosystem different from any other android company. For the same price, Apple has all those things and more.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    lkrupp wrote: »
    rogifan wrote: »
    What analytics? If companies aren't providing sales figures how are they coming up with these figures. How do we even know what the total market is to be able to assign share?

Knew an Apple hater a long time ago. He would go to his local CompUSA store and count the Mac boxes on the shelves once a week. Then he would make his ‘report’ proving that Mac sales were abysmal because the box count only showed one Mac had been ‘sold'. This is essentially the same as how the analysts come up with their numbers these days.

I have on good authority that most analysts use chicken entrails to devine their numbers... it's a magical process that only someone with a low IQ can perform.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »

Apple provides sales figures. Everyone else is afraid to. So they have to guess Android sales.

Name another company in another industry that releases sales figures.
  • Reply 33 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

look at the average selling price

Would you happen to know what the ASP for Samsung phones was in the US for the quarter under discussion?

• Reply 34 of 74
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

look at the average selling price

Funny, I was sure I actually mentioned ASP in my original post. Why, yes I did.

Quote:

Would you happen to know what the ASP for Samsung phones was in the US for the quarter under discussion?

No. And neither do you. We do know the overall ASP for Samsung from the previous quarter. It was $200 per phone overall (based on 99 million phones sold), and somewhere around $230 if you only count "smartphones" (of which Samsung claims over 80% of that 99 million sold).

Now let me guess. You're going to claim that most phones sold in the US were only high-end phones so you can somehow claim the ASP isn't relevant for US sales. Am I right? I mean, you've got to figure out some sort of LIE to allow you to make it appear Samsung isn't doing as bad as they actually are.

• Reply 35 of 74
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Only one? Ford.

• Reply 36 of 74
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Only one? Ford.

I did mean to write "excluding the auto industry". :lol:
  • Reply 37 of 74
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    sog35 wrote: »
    IDC's charges tech companies 'research fees' for their reports.  Included clients are Microsoft and Google
    Since Tim Cook has quoted from IDC reports Apple likely buys them too.
  • Reply 38 of 74
    Quote:

Funny, I was sure I actually mentioned ASP in my original post. Why, yes I did.

No. And neither do you. We do know the overall ASP for Samsung from the previous quarter. It was $200 per phone overall (based on 99 million phones sold), and somewhere around $230 if you only count "smartphones" (of which Samsung claims over 80% of that 99 million sold).

Now let me guess. You're going to claim that most phones sold in the US were only high-end phones so you can somehow claim the ASP isn't relevant for US sales. Am I right? I mean, you've got to figure out some sort of LIE to allow you to make it appear Samsung isn't doing as bad as they actually are.

You  are just making shit up then.  I am not the one making claims, you are.  You have stated as a matter of fact that Samsung phone sales in the US are "mostly of their low-end junk phones, NOT the S5 or S6".

You seem to be claiming that Samsung's US ASP is the same as their global ASP.  Is that what you are claiming?

• Reply 39 of 74
    sog35 wrote: »

Car companies.
    Video game console makers.
    Video game makers.
    App makers.
    Coffee makers.
    do i need to go on?

Show me some reports. Are they claiming sold when they mean shipped?

Edit: seems like the gaming fanboys get into the very same 'shipped vs sold' argument.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/shipped-vs-sold-27508757/

http://www.dualshockers.com/2011/08/13/the-difference-between-shipped-and-sold-is-less-relevant-than-you-think/
  • Reply 40 of 74
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member

Is that a stupid question, or am I missing the subtlety?