Worries about sales of Samsung's Galaxy S6 temper investor expectations ahead of earnings

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Seems to me the only people who were bothered by the fact that Samsung's phones were plastic were tech sites like The Verge. The tech media pushed this meme that Samsung's woes were all due to plastic phones and TouchWiz. But that's BS. Samsung's problems are no brand loyalty and no ecosystem stickiness. They became successful in the smartphone market because they correctly realized people wanted larger screened phones. And they spent billions on marketing going after Apple and promoting the Galaxy brand. Sure it got play in the tech press as they love fanboy wars as they bring page views. But for all the money Samsung spent they still don't have people loyal to the brand. Once Apple came out with larger screen phones and OEMs like Xiaomi and Huawei made decent enough Android handsets for cheap Samsung was doomed. Aluminum frames and chamfered edges aren't going to solve Samsung's problems. Tizen won't either as Windows Phone shows consumers are perfectly fine with the current duopoly with smartphone OSes.

For once I actually agree with most of what you say, but I don't follow the last sentence ... what has the Windows Phone got to do with a duopoly (or anything else lol)? Or do you mean the lack of its sales shows consumers are happy with the iOS / Android duopoly? If so that seems to run counter to the rest of your comments hence my confusion.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    rogifan wrote: »
    Apple was definitely feeling it at the height of Samsung's Next Big Thing™ campaign. Let's not forget those emails back and forth between Schiller and Apple's ad agency where Schiller admitted the board was asking him what's wrong with advertising and what he's doing to fix it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/phil-schiller-emails-2014-4

But honestly I think it was more than advertising. It was the fact that the market wanted larger screen phones. I have no doubt that Apple prototypes all kinds of different screen sizes. So I don't think the 6 came to be only because of the competition. But I think the 6 Plus was heavily influenced by Asia and I'll bet the percentage of 6 Pluses sold there is greater than any other region.

Is that related to the fact their writing is graphically based and harder to read on smaller devices?
  • Reply 63 of 74
    When did Samsung last turn in a good financial report?
  • Reply 64 of 74
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

Compared to whom? They're still very much in the black which is a lot more than can be said about the other manufacturers except for Apple.
  • Reply 65 of 74
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Nonsense, the iPhone went bigger not once, not twice but 3 times because of the competition, oh and the iPad went smaller

Apple was definitely feeling it at the height of Samsung's Next Big Thing™ campaign. Let's not forget those emails back and forth between Schiller and Apple's ad agency where Schiller admitted the board was asking him what's wrong with advertising and what he's doing to fix it.

http://www.businessinsider.com/phil-schiller-emails-2014-4

But honestly I think it was more than advertising. It was the fact that the market wanted larger screen phones. I have no doubt that Apple prototypes all kinds of different screen sizes. So I don't think the 6 came to be only because of the competition. But I think the 6 Plus was heavily influenced by Asia and I'll bet the percentage of 6 Pluses sold there is greater than any other region.

You've contradicted yourself multiple times above (and not for the first time).

Apple's size increase decisions are driven primarily by Apple's timeline for size increases, period. It's a function of what the company sees as trend in consumer needs (e.g., larger scripts in SE Asia), ability to mass produce (i.e., QA, costs, yields, supply chain capabilities), and pricing/margins.

Stuff like 'advertising campaign from Samsung' is plain bullshit.

• Reply 66 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Not for the last seven times, for sure: http://www.wsj.com/articles/samsung-sees-seventh-straight-profit-decline-1436227146

• Reply 67 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I am not clear on what it is you are asking?  Armageddon - ha ha.  Did you see Greece has a new Finance minister - Euclid Tsakalotos?  If he can't figure some angle to save them, nobody can. ;)

€500 M left in the banks and withdrawals of €60 a day for individuals said to be pulling €300 M out each day.  The population is going to be wanting to have more than a pea or two under their mattresses in the coming days.

Is Greece screwed in the short run? For sure. But that's a fairly isolated problem.

There are a whole lot of posters here who've been predicting financial Armageddon -- stock market collapse, dollar collapse, rush to gold/bitcoins, mass unemployment, people jumping off high-rises, etc. -- in the wake of a Greek exit from the Euro, which would apparently lead to the collapse of the Euro, violence on the streets, global meltdown, that sort of thing. All typically attributed to Satan-worshippers at the Fed and other central banks. (All this goes back a few years now).

None of that seems to have happened. Yet again.

• Reply 68 of 74
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Compared to whom? They're still very much in the black which is a lot more than can be said about the other manufacturers except for Apple.

I refer to many consecutive quarter losses. They pile up!
  • Reply 69 of 74

I refer to many consecutive quarter losses. They pile up!

After a meteoric rise they're falling to where they should have been to being with. They were able to buy themselves some cachet, but people are seeing them for what they really are. You'd be surprised how much disdain there is for Samsung on Android
  • Reply 70 of 74
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Nonsense, the iPhone went bigger not once, not twice but 3 times because of the competition, oh and the iPad went smaller

Because Apple never changed the sizes of its "screens" on previous products. Why is everyone looking at the iPhone/iPad in a vacuum?
  • Reply 71 of 74
    jungmark wrote: »

Because Apple never changed the sizes of its "screens" on previous products. Why is everyone looking at the iPhone/iPad in a vacuum?

I don't remember them ever describing the screen size of any other product as perfect. Perfection can't be improved upon. Plus I don't remember the former CEO ridiculing them.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    igorskyigorsky Posts: 757member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Fact is when you have TENS OF THOUSANDS of retail stores that sell your product it is virtually impossible to figure out how many units were actually sold.  

It is?  Seems like Samsung should be firing their entire accounting department.

• Reply 73 of 74
    igorsky wrote: »

sog35 wrote: »
    Fact is when you have TENS OF THOUSANDS of retail stores that sell your product it is virtually impossible to figure out how many units were actually sold.  

It is?  Seems like Samsung should be firing their entire accounting department.

Then most companies would fire their accounting departments.