Apple looks to reinstate Home Sharing with iOS 9, Eddy Cue says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Maybe the fix is the Apple Music App coming back to the Mac?

In order to come back to the Mac, it would have had to be there previously...

• Reply 22 of 28
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    sumergo wrote: »
    I worry that Apple is losing it...

Jony Ive does great hardware design, but if it is he who is directing the software user experience these days then it is a failure and he should step aside.  Its like Jony handed over hardware design to Dr. Dre ;-(

UI/HI/IA =/= design/aesthetics
  • Reply 23 of 28
    lowededwookielowededwookie Posts: 1,143member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

8.4 was a GM release...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

It's 8.4 that removed Home Sharing, not 9 Beta. In other words, they fully released it.

Read the original post I replied to to get the context of what I said.

Incidentally if the HomeSharing isn't in the 8.4 release then it certainly wasn't in the 8.4 Public Beta so...

• Reply 24 of 28

Home Sharing reinstated in iOS 9....along with the new Taylor Swift programming language...Eddy Cue shudders in fear

• Reply 25 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I would bet some serious money this had to do with the streaming licensing agreements. The record labels have kinda regressed back towards DRM. In the case of streaming they do have a point. You certainly don’t want people downloading millions of tracks during the trial period and be able to keep them and not continue the subscription without paying.

• Reply 26 of 28
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NetMage View Post

I can't imagine any acceptable development process that allows such a regression in functionality in a release version. Someone was dead at the switch here.

You only have to look at almost all of the essential firmware updates for the PlayStation 3 or any of the previous eBay iOS app updates to see that this isn't an unusual practice.

Sometimes, things just get broken in the rewrite. At least Apple are going to add it again. That's the difference.

• Reply 27 of 28
    evilution wrote: »
    You only have to look at almost all of the essential firmware updates for the PlayStation 3 or any of the previous eBay iOS app updates to see that this isn't an unusual practice.
    Sometimes, things just get broken in the rewrite. At least Apple are going to add it again. That's the difference.
    This is almost assuredly not a case of "something broke in the re-write". It was removed deliberately and very possibly, as others have postulated, due to concerns that someone in a home-share situation might get something for which they didn't pay. Plus - it helps launch ?Music when you take away this popular option.
    I agree that the feature needs work (mainly concerning large libraries) but given that I have no interest in ?Music, its removal really irritates me. I advocate for the Apple ecosystem because it is supposed to all just work together seamlessly. This is a step in the wrong direction.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Cool, I can't wait to see what else they're going to take away iOS 9 and then add back later!  /s