Apple stops signing iOS 8.3 just one week after 8.4 release

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 105
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

#3 is absolutely incorrect. My sister is currently running iOS 6 on both her iPhone 5 and iPad 2. Both those devices are capable of running iOS 7.

Shouldn't be allowed. Those devices should be forcibly updated to the latest version of iOS that they support. Automatically. Over the Air. Assuming conditions are met (free storage, locked, charging, connected to wifi, user is sleeping).

• Reply 102 of 105
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Apple... write the code, they know what's best. 

iOS 8.0.1

• Reply 103 of 105

Wow. This has to be the nuttiest discussion thread I've ever read that didn't devolve into incoherence, although that may be debatable :)

Without negating any of the arguments for, or benefits of keeping most SW up to version, I see the ability and permission to downgrade as legitimate for many reasons. For example, if an upgrade adversely affects your device's performance. Another would be if a feature or capability is removed and no longer supported.

Sure, Apple or any SW developer can decide to stop supporting a feature. But if SW was purchased with a HW version which was advertised with a particular feature, the consumer should be allowed to continue using the device as advertised. It wouldn't be acceptable from a consumer rights perspective to force an OS upgrade which removed all microphone functionality of HW that was advertised and sold with a microphone.

• Reply 104 of 105
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    onafridayy wrote: »
    Apple has every right to deny you access to a specific version of their OS. You own the phone, not the OS.

That may well be the case but users still can deal side to go elsewhere for their communications' fix. The iPhone is very nice but it's not as though there aren't acceptable alternatives. Where once we used Apple TV's now we don't. I am quite happy with my Amazon Fire Phone and I rather enjoy my Kindle HDX 7" even though I also have two iPad Airs and a Mini (Retina). I don't really miss the iDevices as much as I thought I would. My Mac Mini's are gathering dust and I quite like Windows 8.1 on a NUC. I am only one person but friends are astonished that I would even consider leaving Apple products and they are second guessing their own choices.