Questionable report claims Apple Watch sales plummet from 200K units per day to less than 20K in US

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 120
    alcstarheelalcstarheel Posts: 554member
    1) Have you used the Watch? You can only do so in one of the available Watch faces.

2) For the the same reason that the Apple logo is a visible piece of design in every other Apple product? And because some might see it as a cool and subtle way to integrate into the current Watch hardware design?

Sounds to me like you have not really handled -- let alone used -- the product.

1. I have used Watch. That was a picture of my watch. I never said you could put the logo on multiple faces I said you could do it yourself.

2. Look at any watches and, like I said, find ones where their companies' logo is displayed anywhere other than the watch face. Not Rolex. Not Swatch. Not Galaxy Gear. Not Moto 360. You will find barely any.

You don't have to display the logo. People know what it is. No one asks me if its a galaxy gear or a moto or microsoft's whatever. As an actual wearer I don't feel like it needs to be there. To me there is no subtle way to add the logo visibly without making it look slapped on haphazardly. Apple feels the same way I'm sure.

Lastly, I've had the watch since release day and have worn it every day since haha. Bad assumption on your part.
  • Reply 102 of 120
    atlapple wrote: »
    No one has a definition of doing well. However doing well is often based on predictions. If investors and developers have or had an expectation and Apple believes they have not met that expectation well that can be seen as bad numbers. I'm just reading what other are writing and commenting on it. Most forecasts have been lowered by people that follow this far more then I do. 

So because forecasts initially calling for x number of watches – with no basis for those forecasts – are being lowered, again, with no basis for the lowering of those forecasts, means it's doing bad. Right.
    The only complaint about the Apple Watch that I have is the third party apps aren't very good right now. Releasing what developers consider good numbers will change all that. If they consider them bad numbers then they might not be as willing to invest time and money into making a better Apple Watch ecosystem. 

They already announced native 3rd party apps with Watch OS 2, at a developer conference, so that should no longer be a concern.
    This isn't anything new and some members here will just always blindly go into attack mode if an article says anything negative about Apple. The market is always looking for numbers if they weren't Apple would have no need to release a quarterly report. 

Too bad. The market doesn't get what it wants. Just like they don't get to know the mix of iPhones or iPads. And just like they won't get to know how many watches were sold. They get told what AAPL projects revenue and EPS, etc. to be. They don't get projected product numbers. AAPL discloses those numbers at their own discretion.
  • Reply 103 of 120
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Hogwash. He said Apple wasn't going to release numbers prior to launch. It's more strategic on its part rather than anything else.
    If anyone's reading far too much into statements, it's you in Post #69 above. :rolleyes:
    Meh. It's my read on things and it's no worse than any other guess I've seen. The watches success to me seems muted.
  • Reply 104 of 120
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

2. Look at any watches and, like I said, find ones where their companies' logo is displayed anywhere other than the watch face. Not Rolex. Not Swatch. Not Galaxy Gear. Not Moto 360. You will find barely any.

Oh boy. You've not seen a lot of good watches other than a Rolex is my guess. (I have no idea why everyone keeps referring to a 'Rolex' as the epitome of the high-end watch, but that's a topic for another day. I am not saying it's not -- in fact, it's a great watch -- but suffice it to say, for me, it's like the Glenfiddich is to single malts).

I myself am a Baume et Mercier fan. Look at picture #3 (it's the back of a B&M, similar to one I was given last year) and tell me if you see a logo or not: http://www.masterhorologer.com/2015/01/baume-mercier-classima-collection.html
  • Reply 105 of 120
    djsherly wrote: »
    Meh. It's my read on things and it's no worse than any other guess I've seen. The watches success to me seems muted.

Just curious, since you seem to have a view: what would be your definition of 'muted'?
  • Reply 106 of 120
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Tesla made $3.2b revenue last year. For Apple to make that with a $450 ASP, they only have to sell just over 7m units, which is just under 20k per day. Tesla's not in the Fortune 500 but not far off it, around $4b would do it and profit would be factored in. For a first year accessory (Apple hasn't claimed it to be more than an accessory) to be able to rank as a Fortune 500 company by itself is pretty amazing. Sales volume alone isn't enough, it's what sales volume can it sustain at a certain price point. Other manufacturers sometimes give their wearables away with other products. Even if Apple sold just over 2m units, it's still a $1b product.

Jon Hamm was on the Daily Show recently with one and just casually checking a message while in an interview:

People in interviews wouldn't pull out their phones to check messages because it would be considered rude but they could integrate that into the conversation without any problems.

The Watch isn't going to be another iPhone, iPad or even Mac level of product but it doesn't need to be just like the Apple TV doesn't need to be. Each product has its own demographic. An example of a dying product for Apple would be the iPod. That's been removed from their main page and revenues for that will have probably dropped below $300m.

There will be improvements made to the Watch like with the iPhone and iPad. Even if the whole market for this kind of product dries up, what difference would it make? Should Apple simply not have bothered with it? They'd have been criticized for leaving billions on the table.
  • Reply 107 of 120
    Just curious, since you seem to have a view: what would be your definition of 'muted'?
    I already said it. My view is sales haven't met apples expectations. That doesn't suggest they're "bad". I never once said that.
  • Reply 108 of 120
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

No there wasn't more valid information to the quote. When someone says "a lot but not enough" that is a very clear statement. The rest of the comment was nothing more than a blow off to the person asking the question. And the end of the quote all he said again was " a lot". That is not an answer. 

Holy shit. He also gave us the demand/supply ratio of greater than 1. Simple math tells us demand > supply.
  • Reply 109 of 120
    I already said it. My view is sales haven't met apples expectations. That doesn't suggest they're "bad". I never once said that.

Seriously, you know 'apples expectations' [sic]? Is there a cite or a link to a story I might have missed?
  • Reply 110 of 120
    Seriously, you know 'apples expectations' [sic]? Is there a cite or a link to a story I might have missed?
    I don't know why you feel the need to chase me around on this, but no shit. I don't know the exact number apple[sic] expected to ship. No one does. You don't need to. Go back and read my posts. Ive[sic] given my reasoning and its[sic] just an opinion.

Just like when someone looks at you disappointingly. You know they think you're fat/skinny/ugly/dress poorly but they don't need to tell you that.
  • Reply 111 of 120
    I don't know why you feel the need to chase me around on this, but no shit. I don't know the exact number apple[sic] expected to ship. No one does. You don't need to. Go back and read my posts. Ive[sic] given my reasoning and its[sic] just an opinion.

Just like when someone looks at you disappointingly. You know they think you're fat/skinny/ugly/dress poorly but they don't need to tell you that.

Chase you around? Lol. Don't arrogate yourself. I am merely responding to your post. I generally assume that someone has a fact or an argument to back them up when they make bombastic statements in a public forum.

If Mr High-and-Mighty would like the world around him to not respond to a claim he's making, perhaps he should invent a tag for it? Or post somewhere else where he may not get called on it?
  • Reply 112 of 120
    Chase you around? Lol. Don't arrogate yourself. I am merely responding to your post. I generally assume that someone has a fact or an argument to back them up when they make bombastic statements in a public forum.

If Mr High-and-Mighty would like the world around him to not respond to a claim he's making, perhaps he should invent a tag for it? Or post somewhere else where he may not get called on it?
    Now you're playing the man. Good for you. I gave my reasoning but you choose not to see it. I can't help that.
  • Reply 113 of 120
    Now you're playing the man. Good for you. I gave my reasoning but you choose not to see it. I can't help that.

Got it.

Man.
  • Reply 114 of 120
    Oh boy. You've not seen a lot of good watches other than a Rolex is my guess. (I have no idea why everyone keeps referring to a 'Rolex' as the epitome of the high-end watch, but that's a topic for another day. I am not saying it's not -- in fact, it's a great watch -- but suffice it to say, for me, it's like the Glenfiddich is to single malts).

I myself am a Baume et Mercier fan. Look at picture #3 (it's the back of a B&M, similar to one I was given last year) and tell me if you see a logo or not: http://www.masterhorologer.com/2015/01/baume-mercier-classima-collection.html

"Barely find any."

I mentioned a number of brands other than Rolex. It's just not done. If so very, very, very, very rarely.

Put the logo on the watch where it doesn't look ridiculous. Then submit to Apple.
  • Reply 115 of 120

I mentioned a number of brands other than Rolex. It's just not done. If so very, very, very, very rarely.

Put the logo on the watch where it doesn't look ridiculous. Then submit to Apple.

Yeah, you sure did mention a 'number of brands': specifically, Swatch(!), Galaxy Gear(!) and Moto-something (!!!). Yep, all perfect comparisons to AppleWatch on style, taste, and substance. I was trying to save you some embarrassment by not repeating the list....

And, as to your suggestion: Wow! Now, why did I not think of that!? /facepalm
  • Reply 116 of 120
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    The funny part is even if this is true, that's still AMAZING! PER DAY!
  • Reply 117 of 120
    Yeah, you sure did mention a 'number of brands': specifically, Swatch(!), Galaxy Gear(!) and Moto-something (!!!). Yep, all perfect comparisons to AppleWatch on style, taste, and substance. I was trying to save you some embarrassment by not repeating the list....

And, as to your suggestion: Wow! Now, why did I not think of that!? /facepalm

Watches in general just don't do it. I could list off 100 brands. But I listed well know traditional watch brands and well know smartwatch brands.

The point is you don't have a good idea of where it would go.
  • Reply 118 of 120
    Watches in general just don't do it. I could list off 100 brands.

Sure! I'd like to see it. Make sure to provide (or link to) pictures. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 119 of 120
    Sure! I'd like to see it. Make sure to provide (or link to) pictures. :rolleyes:

http://m.ranker.com/list/best-men-and-_39_s-watch-brands/werner-brandes

http://en.m.worldtempus.com/watch-brand
  • Reply 120 of 120
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

So most people wont buy a square, chunky made in Taiwan "gadget watch" that cost 400 dollars... not surprised. And bet returns are also high.

Hell the fashion editor at the NY Times already returned hers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/11/fashion/why-im-breaking-up-with-the-apple-watch.html?_r=0

"But here’s the thing: The watch isn’t actually a fashion accessory for the tech-happy. It’s a tech accessory pretending to be a fashion accessory. I just couldn’t fall for it"

OUCH!

Millions of people have already bought it. Oh, and someone returned an Apple Watch? Oh, what a fucking disaster. And she returned it cause she realized that..it's a piece of technology, and not a fashion accessory? Oh my Lord. OUCH indeed- at her, for her stupidity and vapidness, and at you, for your pathetic and hilarious attempt to pretend this is some big blow to Apple or to the Watch. Believe it or not, most people know they are buying a piece of technology - and not a "fashion accessory" - something that I don't recall Apple ever calling it. 

Your Apple Watch hate is just hilariously embarrassing for you. Oh, and you can't fucking decide what the Watch costs, can you? Depending on your level of dishonesty, you sometimes state $500, sometimes $400, etc. It starts at $350. Not that hard.