Microsoft releases all-new Office 2016 for Mac to Office 365 subscribers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jackthemac View Post

Maybe if Apple stopped removing features from each successive version of Pages they might get somewhere. Pages 09 was a great simple WP/DTP programme: Pages 5.5.3 is so simplified it’s useless.

Ditto Numbers.

• Reply 22 of 43
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppeX View Post

Access database application also for Mac?

No, never. Not going to happen in this universe.

• Reply 23 of 43
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jackthemac View Post

Maybe if Apple stopped removing features from each successive version of Pages they might get somewhere. Pages 09 was a great simple WP/DTP programme: Pages 5.5.3 is so simplified it’s useless.

Perhaps Apple are trying to homogenise the iOS/OS X versions, but why at the expense of what’s good in the application ?

I’ve been a Mac evangelist since 1984, and have never owned a Windows machine, but I’m getting fed up of being dicked about by some of the half-arsed software Apple are releasing. Remember when it Just Worked ?

Nope, I don't remember when it "Just Worked". Can you please provide us the exact year this was the case, as well as the software and the product that fit under this mythical category? Please be specific. Amazing how the trolls use this magical line every time they want to bash Apple, or find some bug. I've been using Apple products a long time, and don't remember this magical time when "it just worked". There have ALWAYS been issues, often major, and in my opinion Apple software/hardware has never been as solid as it is today, in terms of features, flexibility, useability, design, UI, etc.

Oh, and please make a list of things that you did on the previous version of Pages, that you can't do on the new one. I hope it's a long list, to earn the title of "useless". Amazing how I use this "useless" piece of software every single day, for a variety of purposes. No one cares if you're a "mac evangelist", you're definitely not very objective, nor shy away from sensationalism as well as troll lines like "remember when it just worked"- which any honest person would respond with "never". 

• Reply 24 of 43
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member

Many businesses use OpenOffice or LibreOffice, which both of course are free alternatives to MS Office.  Also available on the Mac too.  Apple's iWork is a useless suite of programs, especially when Apple stripped them of features that people used.  They can give them away now with a Mac purchase, but very few people actually use them.  I don't believe in rental software, so I picked up one of the last remaining copies of the three-license MS Office 2011 suite a few years ago for $105.  Office 2011 works fine for me, and was better than Office 2008.  Back in the Classic OS day, when Word 6.0 was a painful ported disaster, WordPerfect 3.5 for Mac was really fast and useful.  Too bad that program became extinct.

• Reply 25 of 43
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Nope, I don't remember when it "Just Worked". Can you please provide us the exact year this was the case, as well as the software and the product that fit under this mythical category? Please be specific. Amazing how the trolls use this magical line every time they want to bash Apple, or find some bug. I've been using Apple products a long time, and don't remember this magical time when "it just worked". There have ALWAYS been issues, often major, and in my opinion Apple software/hardware has never been as solid as it is today, in terms of features, flexibility, useability, design, UI, etc.

Oh, and please make a list of things that you did on the previous version of Pages, that you can't do on the new one. I hope it's a long list, to earn the title of "useless". Amazing how I use this "useless" piece of software every single day, for a variety of purposes. No one cares if you're a "mac evangelist", you're definitely not very objective, nor shy away from sensationalism as well as troll lines like "remember when it just worked"- which any honest person would respond with "never". 

You are obviously not old enough to know when Apple's software products were highly regarded, and they did "just work".  Define a "long time" that you have been using Apple products.  My guess is only a few years.  Your opinion is completely wrong if you think Apple's software and hardware is solid with features, flexibility, usability, design, UI.  You have no idea what you are talking about, and nothing to support your opinion.

If you want evidence, learn how to use Google.  Here is a refresher on the disaster called iWork, in which Apple stripped the programs of features that people used to get their work done.  

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/29/5042880/apple-iwork-2013-refresh-complaints

Have you heard of Final Cut Pro?  Probably not.  Sounds like you don't even own a Mac.  Final Cut X was such a horrible release that Apple offered people REFUNDS.  Final Cut X still lacks many features that Final Cut 7 had.  Video editors use Snow Leopard and Final Cut Pro 7, or they defected to Adobe after Apple's mistake with Final Cut X.  iTunes 11 and 12 is a UI disaster.  I will give you a brand-new article on the mess that iTunes has become.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2945712/itunes-overload.html

It explains how what used to be done in one step, now takes multiple steps, and contextual menus are so inconsistent, it is impossible to find what you want to do.  Have you heard of iMovie?  Probably not.  iMovie 6 HD still has more features and easier to use than any version of iMovie that followed.  QuickTime Player 7 offered more features than QuickTime X.  iPhoto and Aperture are more feature-rich than the baby software they call Photos.  Photos and iTunes are a UI mess.  Viewing photos is always better with a darker background, but now Apple forces a white background.  iPhoto allowed the user to adjust the background level.  How rude of Apple to take that away from people.  You obviously are not old enough to know about ClarisWorks, HyperCard, MacPaint, MacDraw, etc.  Now Apple is in the business of stripping features from programs and claiming they are better, when they are actually worse.  Word 5.1a on a 680x0 Mac is faster than the current version.  But you have never used that either.

• Reply 26 of 43
    brertechbrertech Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

Even with Apple giving away iWorks for free they still cant make a dent.

Hi, I'm part of the dent.

I bought every version of Mac Office up until this one, but no more. Pages / Numbers / Keynote are more than I need.

Apparently I'm not alone, because even accounting for the growth in Office 365 subscriptions, Office revenue for both consumers and business is dropping much more rapidly than their subscriptions make up for.

• Reply 27 of 43
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member

I'll interrupt the holy wars here to say not to bother with Word 2016. Still in beta and completely unusable for me.

No support of EndNote. Very unstable. (Example: Tools, Templates and Add-ins, Add... completely reproducible crash). UI lags a bit. They advertised that it has Full Screen Mode support, but all that does is maximize and hide the menu bar, rather than decluttering the UI.

There's no option what to install in the installer either, dumps crap like OneNote and Outlook I'll never use.

At best this is catch-up to Word 2013. Despite what Microsoft is claiming, the Mac is still a second-class Office citizen.

• Reply 28 of 43
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

You are obviously not old enough to know when Apple's software products were highly regarded, and they did "just work".  Define a "long time" that you have been using Apple products.  My guess is only a few years.  Your opinion is completely wrong if you think Apple's software and hardware is solid with features, flexibility, usability, design, UI.  You have no idea what you are talking about, and nothing to support your opinion.

If you want evidence, learn how to use Google.  Here is a refresher on the disaster called iWork, in which Apple stripped the programs of features that people used to get their work done.  

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/29/5042880/apple-iwork-2013-refresh-complaints

Have you heard of Final Cut Pro?  Probably not.  Sounds like you don't even own a Mac.  Final Cut X was such a horrible release that Apple offered people REFUNDS.  Final Cut X still lacks many features that Final Cut 7 had.  Video editors use Snow Leopard and Final Cut Pro 7, or they defected to Adobe after Apple's mistake with Final Cut X.  iTunes 11 and 12 is a UI disaster.  I will give you a brand-new article on the mess that iTunes has become.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2945712/itunes-overload.html

It explains how what used to be done in one step, now takes multiple steps, and contextual menus are so inconsistent, it is impossible to find what you want to do.  Have you heard of iMovie?  Probably not.  iMovie 6 HD still has more features and easier to use than any version of iMovie that followed.  QuickTime Player 7 offered more features than QuickTime X.  iPhoto and Aperture are more feature-rich than the baby software they call Photos.  Photos and iTunes are a UI mess.  Viewing photos is always better with a darker background, but now Apple forces a white background.  iPhoto allowed the user to adjust the background level.  How rude of Apple to take that away from people.  You obviously are not old enough to know about ClarisWorks, HyperCard, MacPaint, MacDraw, etc.  Now Apple is in the business of stripping features from programs and claiming they are better, when they are actually worse.  Word 5.1a on a 680x0 Mac is faster than the current version.  But you have never used that either.

Your foaming-at-the-mouth post contains very little objective fact, besides opinion. You're right, I don't own a Mac, and have never heard of all this software you mentioned. Nope, never. 

Your intellectual dishonest is obvious, as you like to a Verge opinion piece of 2013, since then Pages added back pretty much everything it had lost, and more. I was referring to TODAY's pages, not a version from 2 years ago, during which time you could leave the previous version installed and run both at the same time. The rest of your links are just the typical bitching and whining, something that has never stopped in Apple's history, and has only increased because of the exponential growth of Apple's userbase. Funny how you like to an article whining about how iTunes has now TOO MANY features, and the rest of the time you bitch about other software not having enough- hey, whatever works to shit on Apple right, no need to be consistent. 

No, Photos isn't a "mess". It is much less of a mess than iPhoto was, was absolutely the right move in terms of consolidating their photo strategy, and actually has MORE features than iPhoto did, including more powerful editing tools. I use iMovie all the time, and frankly, you're full of it. Tasks are accomplished in different ways, but overall it is a power power, flexible, and streamlined program with a view towards the future. You bring up hypercard, really? You sound like that frothing-at-the-mouth developer who started ranting at Steve Jobs from the audience like 30 yrs ago. He was proven wrong, Steve Jobs was proven right.

Apple's continual, explosive success proves you have no fucking clue what you're talking about. It speaks for itself. They know what you're doing, and you don't. The best you can do is troll on message boards, while accomplishing nothing, and yearning for the hypercard days when Apple was not a speck of what it is today. Apple is in the business of simplifying technology, and making it more useful and intuitive for a large number of people- not pleasing people like you, who yearn for the days of hypercard. I imagine the launch of the iPhone also enraged you. Feel free to use Mac OS 8.X and some ancient Mac to fuel your nostalgia, and leave the rest of us who actually enjoy the advance of technology, alone. Apple is the most successful and loved company in the world for a reason- if they were really doing everything wrong, like trolls like you suggest, then that wouldn't be the case. Thankfully, you don't have a clue about what people want, beyond your own niche desires, and sad that you can't realize that. 

• Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

I'll interrupt the holy wars here to say not to bother with Word 2016. Still in beta and completely unusable for me.

No support of EndNote. Very unstable. (Example: Tools, Templates and Add-ins, Add... completely reproducible crash). UI lags a bit. They advertised that it has Full Screen Mode support, but all that does is maximize and hide the menu bar, rather than decluttering the UI.

There's no option what to install in the installer either, dumps crap like OneNote and Outlook I'll never use.

thats sad. I do need to use MS just for compatibility with clients (larger corporations)

when i get a big excel demo them its faster to use excel for windows 2003 in parallels than native mac excel 2011 ( seconds compared to minutes!!)

i did make the mistake of installing 2011 outlook - that fucker still has things running that spoils MS own update, even though i never use the outlook and tried hard to delete every bit of it.

maybe by the time the new 2016 version ois ready for purchase (not the 365 rental method) they will have fixed these bugs you mention, and get that UI super fast.

• Reply 30 of 43
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

I was referring to TODAY's pages, not a version from 2 years ago, during which time you could leave the previous version installed and run both at the same time. The rest of your links are just the typical bitching and whining, something that has never stopped in Apple's history, and has only increased because of the exponential growth of Apple's userbase. 

Can't use Pages. No equation support without a $97 third-party add on. Equations were built into Word since at least 6.0. So for me, and everybody I send documents to, Pages costs just as much as Word.

People say that 80% of people use 20% of the features. Fatal flaw in that reasoning is everybody uses a different 20% set of features. I have no use for table of contents, for example, but other people do.

Until Pages is 1:1 feature parity with Word, and handles files seamlessly with Word, it will be a K-12 product.

• Reply 31 of 43
    jordy84jordy84 Posts: 1member
    Unfortunately Outlook still doesn’t support CalDAV and CardDAV so you can’t use Google or iCloud calendar and contacts. I really wished Microsoft would have added this by now.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    thewhitefalconthewhitefalcon Posts: 4,453member
    The good news is that you can still download 2011 if you have an older Mac not running 10.10.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    For clarification, the release version of the apps is 15.11.2 (150701) which is the same version as the Preview upgrade that I downloaded a few hours ago. Likely the preview will time out at some future date.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Apple never had much of an opportunity to take market share away from Microsoft Office, no matter what they did with iWork (which I like quite a bit). Office is an incredibly entrenched product that millions of people have have used extensively at work places for over 20 years, and market history suggests that such advantages take decades to undo. It doesn't matter that Office is bloated and often clunky. It doesn't matter that it costs money. All that matters is that it is the product that people associate with productivity tasks.

Consider the parable of Windows Phone - by all accounts, a very good product that received glowing reviews and seemed positioned to do well. But it was too late, as Apple and the various Android OEMs had already claimed the mindshare. It didn't matter what Microsoft did, or how polished the product might be, the die was cast.

iWork was developed to provide Apple a means to stay competitive if Microsoft ever decided to drop Mac support. The tables have turned, and now Microsoft needs to be on Apple platforms, negating some of the reason for iWork to exist. Microsoft is wise to continue developing Office, which may well have a longer lifespan and a warmer place in people's hearts than Windows.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    "Microsoft releases all-new Office 2016 for Mac to Office 365 subscribers"

They only have 365 subscribers? :D
  • Reply 36 of 43
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Pages is great at what it does: the hybrid word processing/dtp component of Apple's "works" suite. 

If you want a full-blown word processor that doesn't look and work like ass, Mellel is your made-for-the-mac choice. In fact, as a purist's word processor, Mellel far outclasses Word in both power and speed. And if you're serious about your document's typography (styles, auto-titles, full OpenType features and support, etc.), all the more reason to give it a try. 

Pages lost its DTP functionality when they dumped the old code and used the iOS code as a base. iWork '09 Pages (v4.3) was brilliant. Highly usable as both a WP and light DTP app. I could crank out documents rapidly. Now I can create simple word processing documents okay, but without linked text boxes I can no longer use the current version of Pages for the vast majority of what I used it for. I have InDesign, but it's overkill for most of my needs. Unfortunately, the loss of the old inspector panels was also huge for me. The new, context-sensitive panes are undoubtedly easier for many users, but I find them harder to navigate. It was also extremely convenient in Keynote to have multiple inspector panels open simultaneously.

A lot of what Apple does is forward thinking. Unfortunately, iWork has been an enormous step backward.

• Reply 37 of 43
    zarrianzarrian Posts: 1member
    Libreoffice works just fine for most of my use cases, so I can't justify paying for MS Office. Really the only program I would use is Outlook but lack of support for CalDav is a deal breaker there.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ddawson100 wrote: »
    Big fan of Office 365 and Office 2106 here

Are you using Office 365, and Office 2016 now?

My corporate IT department won't allow us to use Office 365 for security reasons. However, we are plagued with cross-platform office 2011 Excel file corruptions when the same file is shared on the network, so much so we can't even use it. Not to mention there's no way to know who has a document open and are forever playing guessing games as to who left for lunch and didn't close the document. And then there's the Word Docs that don't become available for editing until you quit the application.

So I hope that all of this crap is finally fixed -- any idea if this is true?
  • Reply 39 of 43
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Quote:

Your foaming-at-the-mouth post contains very little objective fact, besides opinion. You're right, I don't own a Mac, and have never heard of all this software you mentioned. Nope, never. 

Your intellectual dishonest is obvious, as you like to a Verge opinion piece of 2013, since then Pages added back pretty much everything it had lost, and more. I was referring to TODAY's pages, not a version from 2 years ago, during which time you could leave the previous version installed and run both at the same time. The rest of your links are just the typical bitching and whining, something that has never stopped in Apple's history, and has only increased because of the exponential growth of Apple's userbase. Funny how you like to an article whining about how iTunes has now TOO MANY features, and the rest of the time you bitch about other software not having enough- hey, whatever works to shit on Apple right, no need to be consistent. 

No, Photos isn't a "mess". It is much less of a mess than iPhoto was, was absolutely the right move in terms of consolidating their photo strategy, and actually has MORE features than iPhoto did, including more powerful editing tools. I use iMovie all the time, and frankly, you're full of it. Tasks are accomplished in different ways, but overall it is a power power, flexible, and streamlined program with a view towards the future. You bring up hypercard, really? You sound like that frothing-at-the-mouth developer who started ranting at Steve Jobs from the audience like 30 yrs ago. He was proven wrong, Steve Jobs was proven right.

Apple's continual, explosive success proves you have no fucking clue what you're talking about. It speaks for itself. They know what you're doing, and you don't. The best you can do is troll on message boards, while accomplishing nothing, and yearning for the hypercard days when Apple was not a speck of what it is today. Apple is in the business of simplifying technology, and making it more useful and intuitive for a large number of people- not pleasing people like you, who yearn for the days of hypercard. I imagine the launch of the iPhone also enraged you. Feel free to use Mac OS 8.X and some ancient Mac to fuel your nostalgia, and leave the rest of us who actually enjoy the advance of technology, alone. Apple is the most successful and loved company in the world for a reason- if they were really doing everything wrong, like trolls like you suggest, then that wouldn't be the case. Thankfully, you don't have a clue about what people want, beyond your own niche desires, and sad that you can't realize that. 

talk about mouth foam.

what fact did you bring?

(none)

+1 for hypercard. loved it to pieces.

looking into Livecode (it's heir)

• Reply 40 of 43
    barthrhbarthrh Posts: 138member

Is anyone using Office 2016 now? I find that the fonts through the Preview and now on final release look *awful*. Jaggy. I bring the same thing up on v15 and v14 and the old version is smooth, while new is jaggy.