Apple's new ad campaign says, 'If it's not an iPhone, it's not an iPhone'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 42 of 90
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    I'm with you... It was a fun ad aimed at the younger set who like a MTV type of quick cuts.

What's a MTV?

Seriously, though, I think the ad should go down nicely with pot heads. It bears repeated watching 'cause there's so much going on. I want to know how they did that shot with 99 moving videos. All composited? I guess so.
  • Reply 43 of 90
    eyekeyeyekey Posts: 20member
    All these people doing vertical videos. That is not very apple-like!
  • Reply 44 of 90
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I agree with The Next Web. These ads don't sell the iPhone. Apple can do, and had done, much better.

http://thenextweb.com/opinion/2015/07/10/its-just-an-ad-but-still/?utm_campaign=pro&;
  • Reply 45 of 90
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    I like them. The functionality displayed in the so-called better previous ads has mostly been copied and is no longer a differentiator in a 30-second spot, but the quality of the experience on iPhone is still superior largely because of the software and hardware integration, and this needs to be called out. I also like the "if it's not an iPhone..." tag line because everything else really is just a knock-off. It is astounding to me that people pay the same amount for an imitator when they could have the real thing because they have an inexplicable hatred of Apple. Maybe the old, artsy, emotional ads had something to do with that disdain and these will appeal more to a new group of customers.
  • Reply 46 of 90
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

What's a MTV?

Seriously, though, I think the ad should go down nicely with pot heads. It bears repeated watching 'cause there's so much going on. I want to know how they did that shot with 99 moving videos. All composited? I guess so.

One blue screened/green phone (or whatever key color they like), then composited. Not as hard as it looks, but smoothly done.

• Reply 47 of 90
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    "NO MORE.... MR. NICE GUY"????
  • Reply 48 of 90
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I agree with The Next Web. These ads don't sell the iPhone. Apple can do, and had done, much better.

You are correct. They are not selling phones. They are selling something... you can't buy.
  • Reply 49 of 90
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Don't fret, it's nothing new.

http://www.slashgear.com/yup-apples-new-if-you-dont-have-an-iphone-campaign-is-out-17140610/

It works.

The comments at the bottom are nothing new, either!

• Reply 50 of 90
    rogifan wrote: »

http://thenextweb.com/opinion/2015/07/10/its-just-an-ad-but-still/?utm_campaign=pro&

Of course you do.
  • Reply 51 of 90
    geekmee wrote: »
    You are correct. They are not selling phones. They are selling something... you can't buy.

Touché. Something Rogifan especially can't buy, like good, old inclusive fun.
  • Reply 52 of 90
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,009member
    They're good, though the voice-over in the first video could have been scripted better without saying "part" 114 times...
  • Reply 53 of 90
    foggyhill wrote: »
    One blue screened/green phone (or whatever key color they like), then composited. Not as hard as it looks, but smoothly done.

Aha, bien sûr, thanks.
  • Reply 54 of 90
    eyekey wrote: »
    All these people doing vertical videos. That is not very apple-like!

This is such a bogus, rectilinear attitude. Just because your goddamn TV, which weighs 80 pounds and is stuck on a stand or on the wall, just because it has a landscape aspect ratio, you anti-portrait left-brained people gotta stick your nose in everybody's portrait business. The phone fits in your hand, you can turn it any way you like. People have a vertical aspect ratio. You can frame someone from three feet closer with portrait over landscape.

Get over it.

Edit: hey, sorry eyekey, I just noticed your first post. Apologies, and welcome to the forum. You just happened to hit one of my crank buttons.
  • Reply 55 of 90
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Yep, macrumors is a cesspool of trolls, and it's clearly designed to be that way with no apologies.

the ironic thing is they have moderators -- I've been suspended several times there, which is why I discovered AI. the mods on MR don't allow you to say someone is trolling, if you do you get suspended. how lame.

I like that one of he AI forum rules is don't expect to be around long if your aim is to just bag on Apple products and customers.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    flaneur wrote: »
    This is such a bogus, rectilinear attitude. Just because your goddamn TV, which weighs 80 pounds and is stuck on a stand or on the wall, just because it has a landscape aspect ratio, you anti-portrait left-brained people gotta stick your nose in everybody's portrait business. The phone fits in your hand, you can turn it any way you like. People have a vertical aspect ratio. You can frame someone from three feet closer with portrait over landscape.

Get over it.

it depends on the desired output use case. if it's only to watch the videos leaned-in on your phone in your hand, sure. but if it's to share with the family or whatnot in a lean-back scenario, then landscape is the appropriate format.
  • Reply 57 of 90
    geekmee wrote: »
    "NO MORE.... MR. NICE GUY"????

Exactly. This is also showing Samsung's creepy-sleazy ad agency, 72andSunny, how to stay classy while you distinguish your stuff from the competition.

Just in case you forgot how creepy-sleazy, here's the link to the anti-Apple ads and how proud the agency is of them:

https://www.72andsunny.com/work/samsung/fan-boys
  • Reply 58 of 90
    lymflymf Posts: 65member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    it depends on the desired output use case. if it's only to watch the videos leaned-in on your phone in your hand, sure. but if it's to share with the family or whatnot in a lean-back scenario, then landscape is the appropriate format.
    Most people I know shoot vertical. It's always a hassle to get them to do landscape if I need to do a small montage, because they will most naturally shoot portrait. So it is an accurate way of showing how people use their phone.
  • Reply 59 of 90
    nolamacguy wrote: »

Correct. And 99 out of 100 videos stay on the phone. (Just kidding.) But there is a mindless hostility to using the phone's camera in portrait. Never a thought that the photographer might know what they're doing.
  • Reply 60 of 90
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I remember, ten years ago, my older sister telling me that she bought a Palm Pilot.

It was a WinCE device and it was awful.