GameBench shows iPhone 6 beats Galaxy S6 in game performance & better looking graphics

Comments

• Reply 21 of 85
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    tmay wrote: »
    relic wrote: »
    I have no love for Samsung or their phones but these benchmarks are absolutely meaningless. There isn't a game that's currently in the Google PlayStore that the Samsung couldn't run and run extremely well. Heck, the same thing could be said about the Nexus 5. Also if you look at the 1080p numbers there higher than the iPhone 6, so the only reason why the S6 is slower is because of it's higher resolution, if the S6 had the same resolution as the iPhone 6 is would be slightly faster but again that doesn't matter as there isn't a game that could possibly slow down the phone.

I can care less about this but I always find it silly that you guys get so excited about nothing.
    Evidently, you missed the intent of the article; in the real world, iOS is decidedly superior to Android OS for mobile gaming.

Too many times in my life have I seen something decidedly superior lose when tested in the real world. I play games on both iOS and Android. Some games lag on iOS and don't on Android while others lag on Android and not on iOS. The fact is that the real world has too many variables and something seemingly superior can lose to the seemingly lesser thing.
  • Reply 22 of 85
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Too many times in my life have I seen something decidedly superior lose when tested in the real world. I play games on both iOS and Android. Some games lag on iOS and don't on Android while others lag on Android and not on iOS. The fact is that the real world has too many variables and something seemingly superior can lose to the seemingly lesser thing.

Your point is taken.

Mine is that one platform is decidedly superior to the other, and I gave reasons for that.

Your's is really that the developer is the ultimate variable, and I agree with that.

• Reply 23 of 85

You have to subtract about 25% of the resolution of AMOLED displays due to the pentile layout reducing the effective resolution when having non-uniform pixel dimensions.

• Reply 24 of 85
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjskywasher View Post

Yep, I play Word of Tanks Blitz too. You can definitely spot the Android players as they laggily jump across the map, you can't hit them and they just suddenly appear somewhere else. Constant complaints from them about performance and laggyness and why they haven't been able to join in the game. I don't mind Android users playing the game but keep them on their own server or something, it's frustrating when you're playing a team game and you're constantly let down by players who don't have the devices that can keep up with the demands of the game.

That is 100% true! You totally get it, though some other people in this thread totally miss the point. The majority of Android devices are cheap garbage, and a player who plays a game on a bad device will have poor performance. Their FPS will be very low, they will often have connection problems and a bad ping. This definitely affects game performance and player performance. Certain people on this forum are in total denial of reality.

You and I have played the game and we have seen these issues first hand. I don't think that many of the others who have commented have mentioned that they play the game. They don't know what they are talking about.

• Reply 25 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Maybe, just maybe the skill level dropped because the players were new to the game.

That too, but their poor device performance definitely plays a big part in the equation too.

Somebody could be the best player in the world, but if they're playing on a piece of junk phone with 20 FPS and a terrible ping, they will not do well in the game.

• Reply 26 of 85
    relic wrote: »
    I think people here are just a little to biased, if you don't like Android than just don't use it.

Let's try an experiment:
    "I think people here are just a little too biased, if you don't like iOS then just don't use it."

Is that something you agree with?
  • Reply 27 of 85
    I recall your waxing poetic about the Tegra K1 Denver; it's essentially dead in mobile, and so is Nvidia. Nvidia couldn't compete in the power envelope that Apple, Samsung, and Qualcomm are driving. Nvidia is finding a new life in Chromebooks and Automotive, but even as a dedicated gaming device in the Shield, it barely registers sales against those of mobile devices.

K1 is garbage as I already explained to Relic countless times.

What's really funny is that after Nvidia spent all that time and money developing a custom 64bit mobile ARM processor, they stopped using it. Their latest ARM processor is now using.......wait for it........A57 cores, just like everyone else.
  • Reply 28 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

you cannot presume that a laggy tank is an Android user, it's most likely someone with just a poor connection.

The average Android user is not somebody who is using a flagship device. The majority of Android users have cheap, garbage devices. They represent the majority. A large influx of Android users into a game is definitely noticeable and they will drag the overall gameplay quality down. If a group of industrialized first world countries suddenly lets a third world nation join their group, I would imagine that the outcome would be similar.

The average Android user is also more likely to have a poor connection, since economic despair is behind many of the decisions and choices that they will make. I am of course not talking about you, you are very well off and are not the majority.

• Reply 29 of 85
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    If a group of industrialized first world countries suddenly lets a third world nation join their group, I would imagine that the outcome would be similar.

You mean like Greece?
  • Reply 30 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

You talk about how much you hate Android and how anyone with an Android is always below you. What do you say to some of your family members when they use a Android? I don't believe for one minute that your entire family including aunts, uncles, cousins and the like. Do you spit in thier face like you talk like you do here?

Family members are lucky enough to know me, because they often receive handmedowns from me. I've already given away four iPads in recent years, when I've upgraded. And soon, I might be gifting away my iPad Air 2 also, if and when an iPad Pro ever gets released.

And actually, most family members do actually use an iPhone or they still use a non smart phone flip phone. I admire people who use flip phones more than Android phones. Not everybody requires a smartphone, especially older people who are not into technology and have never even been on the internet once in their lives. I actually do not have any close family members that use an Android phone. Perhaps a few distant members do, but I don't really see them often, so I don't really care about that.

• Reply 31 of 85
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

You mean like Greece?

Sure, I think that Greece is a good example. I haven't seen any marketshare charts or stats for Greece recently, but I don't think that it would be a coincidence if iOS usage in that country was pretty low compared to certain other countries.

• Reply 32 of 85
    This article really downplays the impact resolution has. If you're trying to push twice as many pixels as someone else with the same hardware, you'll get about half the performance. Regardless of whether or not a lot of Android games upscale from 1080p, that's not what this benchmark did. Those scores are very deceptive. Let's look at the total pixel counts:

GS6: 2560 x 1440 = 3,686,400 pixels
    iPhone 6: 1334 x 750 = 1,000,500 pixels
    3,686,400 / 1,000,500 = ~3.68

So the GS6 is driving about 3.68 times the number of pixels the iPhone is. If you were to adjust those benchmark scores accordingly, you'd see a much different picture here. Don't get me wrong, I'm an iOS user. However, also being an avid PC gamer, a lot of the statements in this article make me cringe. You would never see a professional reviewer presenting desktop graphics card benchmarks in such a blatantly biased way.
  • Reply 33 of 85
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Family members are lucky enough to know me

Out of all the outlandish things you say this takes the cake. :lol:
  • Reply 34 of 85
    troehl wrote: »
    I'm curious whether any of these benchmarks take Metal into consideration....

I think Metal is just now impacting a few games performance. Also, the way Game Bench does their tests, if a game is optimized for Metal it will distance its specs from Android even further ... Android is already phucked and it's gonna get worse.
  • Reply 35 of 85
    singularitysingularity Posts: 1,328member
    The average Android user is not somebody who is using a flagship device. The majority of Android users have cheap, garbage devices. They represent the majority. A large influx of Android users into a game is definitely noticeable and they will drag the overall gameplay quality down. If a group of industrialized first world countries suddenly lets a third world nation join their group, I would imagine that the outcome would be similar.

The average Android user is also more likely to have a poor connection, since economic despair is behind many of the decisions and choices that they will make. I am of course not talking about you, you are very well off and are not the majority.
    your inane and probable insanity gets worse.
    By the way the game works fine on a GS3, which by any benchmark is not a top tier android phone. You are atrributing android ownership to bad players and bad connections. I'm sure there are plenty of iOS users who suck at this type of online game and have bad pings but you would never know unless they put a tag on each player.
  • Reply 36 of 85
    Android hardware is garbage. The Nexus 6 I was using got over-excited just using Snapchat. Overheat to the point where it'd burn your fingers just holding down to watch Snaps. Then freeze.

Used an infrared thermometer and compared it to my iPhone 6 Plus. 194 F on the Nexus vs 135 on the iPhone. Yes there may be some small variables but not enough margin of error. If it kept up I could almost heat water for some coffee on it.
  • Reply 37 of 85

Trolls: next time the Galaxy S6 lags in some benchmark, be sure to use "but but but it's most likely a poor connection" excuse.

• Reply 38 of 85
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Evidently, you missed the intent of the article; in the real world, iOS is decidedly superior to Android OS for mobile gaming.

Part of this is the weak development workflow that Android OS suffers against iOS; part is an attempt by OEM's to trump their competition with marketing (screen resolution); part is Apple's ability to create the most efficient and powerful hardware and software, and part is the lack of the same level of developer compensation for quality games. In only two devices, the S6 and Edge, does Samsung have a slight SoC performance advantage. In September, I imagine that Apple will take the SoC performance crown again, and should Apple build the iPad Pro, we will certainly witness a leap in ARM computing performance for mobile.

I recall your waxing poetic about the Tegra K1 Denver; it's essentially dead in mobile, and so is Nvidia. Nvidia couldn't compete in the power envelope that Apple, Samsung, and Qualcomm are driving. Nvidia is finding a new life in Chromebooks and Automotive, but even as a dedicated gaming device in the Shield, it barely registers sales against those of mobile devices.

I never claimed the Nvidia was nothing but a niche market, however they do keep releasing products and extremely decent ones at that. So until the day I can no longer buy a device with their chips I'll keep buying them. I don't judge a platform on the number of sales they have, if I did I would have never bought my BlackBerry Passport, which has to be one of my favorite phones I have ever owned. I keep hearing how dead they are but I keep buying phones from them year out and year in, same with Nvidia mobile products.
  • Reply 39 of 85
    Pity you can only play those games for about fifteen minutes before you have to tether yourself to a wall outlet or plug in a bulky portable battery.

I'm going to stick to android, as it's a superior phone platform, and I can have things like good battery life with a battery I can change, and have the ability to use SD cards. Apple's phones have absolutely awful battery life, lackluster displays, and are missing standard features. On top of that, they cost for the phones is outrageously expensive. The fact that they're marginally better at running crappy little phone games makes absolutely no difference to me. If I'm gaming, it's not going to be on a device with no physical controls, and I'm not going to be dragging a bluetooth controller everywhere with me, either. Phones suck for gaming.
  • Reply 40 of 85
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    mistwalker wrote: »
    Pity you can only play those games for about fifteen minutes before you have to tether yourself to a wall outlet or plug in a bulky portable battery.

I am still using an iPhone 4 and the battery life is about twice that of my Nexus 5 and slightly better than my Moto E, both of which have larger batteries.