Microsoft Tablets: Will Apple have one, too?

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    [quote]Originally posted by Chucker:

<strong>I hope not. The tablet PC idea isn't ready for the mass market yet.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Since when has Apple been a computer for the mass market? Although, their new ad campaign is sure trying hard. Apple is all about early adopters and trend setters
  • Reply 42 of 46
    With the exception of the eMate users, obviously none of you have used the new Tablet computer, or seen the new form factor. Fujitsu and Acer are developing tablet PCs that are as elegant as a TiBook. They have a 12.1" screen, complete with keyboards, and the screen flips around to become a tablet PC. Having used one of the beta products I am very excited about the form factor. It is not just another computer to add to your collections, but rather is can be the only computer you need if coupled with a decent docking station.

I would be disappointed if Apple didn't enter this market. The Microsoft Tablet PC is just a trumped up version of Windows XP, and the Journal application is the probably the worst app I've ever seen. Let Jobs get ahold of this exciting form factor and show the world how truly user-friendly and purposeful the apps could be.

As for whether the 2 billion+ person market in China and Japan aren't enough of a compelling reason to develop this computer? Anyone who would disagree with this should take some macro-economics courses and a trip to Shanghai, Hong Kong or Tokyo. There is a serious economy brewing over there and ignorant Americans will wake up one day (soon) to Chinese as a second language courses being taught in their public schools.
  • Reply 43 of 46
    They asked Steve about tablet PCs at one of their earning conference calls last year. He said that they have no plans to develop one and would rather wait and see how others do with them first before developing their own. Of couse Steve isn't always to most honest guy, so who knows.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    The thing about an M$ tablet is that it does not have to be good or successful. They are willing to release crap and keep it on the market until the bugs are worked out and people start to use it. Take WinCE/PocketPC for example. When it came out, few people liked or used it. But it has steadily gained on Palm because M$ has the financial clout to fund something like this until it gets enough momentum to take off.

Im sure M$ will release something mediocre, but they will market it as the biggest innovation since the wheel. Business/government types (who already are brainwashed by M$) will snatch it up and Bill will be hailed as the savior.

I think Apple will eventually make a computer that is 'handheld.' But, I dont think it will be this year. In the past, Apple's greatest mistake has been being too far ahead of their time (Newton, etc). I believe that Apple's mgmt now aims to create products which are closer to those already adopted (iPod). IMO, they will wait until the rest of the world knows why they want a TabletPC.
  • Reply 45 of 46
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    I just read an article about Windows CP Tablet Edition in the German c't magazine.

The hand-writing-recognition seems to be pretty mature... no learning time, high accuracy and an interesting concept: What the user sees is his own handwriting in the "Journal"-application that is translated into text in the background. And you can keep either way you want: text or hand-writing. And they offer an SDK so digital ink will be supported natively in other apps - and Office will make the start.

The first system that will be delivered with the XP TE is an ACER subnotebook with a swiveling display offering the best of both sides. Well actually three: You can also change the display orientation and use it as an E-Book.

I hope that Ink's hand-writing recogntion is as nice as Microsoft's.
  • Reply 46 of 46
    [quote]Originally posted by dieter_dp:

<strong>With the exception of the eMate users, obviously none of you have used the new Tablet computer, or seen the new form factor. Fujitsu and Acer are developing tablet PCs that are as elegant as a TiBook. They have a 12.1" screen, complete with keyboards, and the screen flips around to become a tablet PC. Having used one of the beta products I am very excited about the form factor. It is not just another computer to add to your collections, but rather is can be the only computer you need if coupled with a decent docking station.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i agree. trust me, that model is very very cool. if apple were making a product like this, we'd all be going insane over it. the hwr is quite good. better than my old newton 130.