New iPod touch vs. iPhone 5s: Apple's latest iPod packs surprising power

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

Based solely on spec, the camera module (including the flash) sounds like a dead-ringer for the one that debuted in the iPhone 4S, continued in the 5, and still used in the 5c.

• Reply 22 of 65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mr O View Post

It is amazing how Apple turned the tables overnight, isn't it? They just made the iPod a compelling product again.

I do love the champhered edges and the all aluminium back of the iPod. From own experience I can tell you that the protruding lens does protect the lens sufficiently. So, the lack of a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal lens is not an issue. Settle for the 32GB or 64GB option if you are looking for a great resell value on eBay.

How have they turned the tables? They have updated the 5th generation Touch - those compelled to buy one yesterday have the same reasons today.

• Reply 23 of 65
    apple ][ wrote: »

And I do believe that there is a sizable market of people that have use for a device like the iPod Touch. Free WIFI is springing up everywhere now in many cities. Not everybody needs or wants an expensive cell phone contract, and many kids do not need cell phones, but they sure would like something like an iPod Touch.

WIFI devices like the iPod Touch, which also happens to be insanely powerful, easily blowing away any Android device for games, because of the vastly superior iOS ecosystem, makes this iTouch Pod a no brainer for many people. Just wait and see. There will be a definite and significant uptick in iPod Touch sales again, compared to recent years. 

I think that Apple hit it out of the ballpark with this update.

The kids can call out from most public school campuses and even from colleges and university campuses due to the broad use of wifi... and you're right about the power of this 64-bit iPod... the new chip will support Metal-able apps... where the games are highly represented...
  • Reply 24 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

That isn't an equivalent to an iPhone, in any way, shape, or form. Sounds like a massive hassle. 

For those contemplating such a thing it is entirely in a great many ways, shapes and forms not just an equivalent but a far superior (and cheaper) solution.

I have no idea what you are getting at.

The only possible hassle is if you have a particularly nice feature phone and don't want it to share a pocket with your keys and change. (Obviously the Touch is kept in its own pocket.)

• Reply 25 of 65
    freekitten wrote: »
    mr o wrote: »

It is amazing how Apple turned the tables overnight, isn't it? They just made the iPod a compelling product again.

I do love the champhered edges and the all aluminium back of the iPod. From own experience I can tell you that the protruding lens does protect the lens sufficiently. So, the lack of a scratch-resistant sapphire crystal lens is not an issue. Settle for the 32GB or 64GB option if you are looking for a great resell value on eBay.
    How have they turned the tables? They have updated the 5th generation Touch - those compelled to buy one yesterday have the same reasons today.

...and those who might have bought a GameBoy tomorrow have a much more compelling reason to re-think that decision. Right now nobody but Apple owns the portable gaming business like Apple. Apple is there with the speed, the price, and the quality HW.
  • Reply 26 of 65
    slurpy wrote: »
    sog35 wrote: »

Buy an iPod touch and a flip phone prepaid

That isn't an equivalent to an iPhone, in any way, shape, or form. Sounds like a massive hassle. 

Yes and no. This article did give me a good idea of how the Touch specs compared to known existing iPhone specs. While the masses may have uses for the Touch different from a phone, this article defined the Touch around specs I could understand.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member
    This has me wondering if Apple will say bye bye to the C series iPhone. One less set of SKUs and they'll likely reel in the Tweens. 6S/6S+/iPod Touch. There's always a question of where the old components go-they go to the Touch, not the C. In a few months, with the likely debut of the A9, the iPod Touches will all begin to inherit the year-ago application processors camera modules, etc. This keeps the iPod alive (also driving app installs and media purchases) while driving iPhone buys to the latest and greatest. I'd bet the C series was more of a headache than anything.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

A8, more than I expected but exactly what I hoped for. 4", perfect size and will slot right into my Piel Frama leather case that has a nice patina on it after 3 years of the previous model. Just bought it online for delivery tomorrow. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkyMark7 View Post

Another downside to using it to substitute for an iPhone is that you can't hold it up to your ear and have a typical conversation (over FaceTime Audio for example); your only options appear to be speakerphone / earbuds / Bluetooth headset.

Yes, the iPod works fine without a headset, the speaker is loud and clear. In fact you don't even need it pressed up against your ear. 

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I have a nokia C2 which is simple and tiny, prepaid costs me $19 for 3 months. 

• Reply 29 of 65
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Apple needs to offer that awesome dark blue color on the iPhone 6S!!!
  • Reply 30 of 65
    undedunded Posts: 43member
    No Touch ID is a deal breaker for me
  • Reply 31 of 65
    ...and those who might have bought a GameBoy tomorrow have a much more compelling reason to re-think that decision. Right now nobody but Apple owns the portable gaming business like Apple. Apple is there with the speed, the price, and the quality HW.

Nintendo hasn't sold a GameBoy since 2006, BTW.
  • Reply 32 of 65
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Nintendo hasn't sold a GameBoy since 2006, BTW.
    Are you sure? The GameBoy Micro debuted in 2005, and I'm sure it, and other GameBoys were being made for a while after. Hell, Nintendo stopped manufacturing the Famicom surprisingly recently.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    snadsnad Posts: 1member

The author does not understand f-stop.  f/2.4 aperture is smaller than f/2.2, not larger. 

• Reply 34 of 65
    john673john673 Posts: 40member

with this iPod  touch out, the 5S will probably be phased by September when the new iPhones are out. probably very short lived competition with the touch... while the 5s devices still in use will be traded in for new phones

• Reply 35 of 65
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    sog35 wrote: »

I'm seriously thinking about this. Especially when the bill for my AT&T iPad is getting a little out of hand. Truth is I use iPad far more that the "cell phone" function on the iPhone. I don't think that will change with a larger iPhone either.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Are you sure? The GameBoy Micro debuted in 2005, and I'm sure it, and other GameBoys were being made for a while after. Hell, Nintendo stopped manufacturing the Famicom surprisingly recently.

2006 was the last year they released a GameBoy. The one in 2006 was the special toonami edition. 

• Reply 37 of 65
    Is it just me or is the is a terrible article?

It was so bad I stopped reading a few paragraphs in!

The article made about as much sense as comparing an axe with a chain saw. Each has its uses, you select the best tool for the job.
  • Reply 38 of 65
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Get a MiFi or Elevate 4G and an iPod Touch...now you have 95% of capability of iPhone there except GPS, Apple Pay, some built in apps and phone number for calls/texts, but you can get the number through Txt App. Yet, the performance and user experience are shit vs iPhone...so, your choice...

• Reply 39 of 65
    woochiferwoochifer Posts: 385member

I have an iPhone 5s and the battery life has always been averaged 5-6 hours, depending on what I'm doing. The A7's a great processor, but it can run hot and chew through battery life like crazy on certain tasks.

My understanding is that the A8 is more efficient, and most of the power consumption savings ended up going towards the larger screen and higher resolution. I would expect that in regular usage, the iPod touch will show surprisingly long battery life.

In addition to all of the other use cases for the iPod touch, I can also see people using the iPod touch as a home device controller that stays at home. Homekit devices have been slow to trickle out, but once they start appearing, the role of iOS devices in controlling things around the house will pick up rapidly. In households where not everybody has their own iPhone, how would those devices be controlled if the iPhones are out to work or on errands or on vacations? The iPod touch can double as a universal remote and media conduit for "internet of things" devices, and in a pocketable size that's easier to carry around the house than a tablet.

• Reply 40 of 65
    freekitten wrote: »

For those contemplating such a thing it is entirely in a great many ways, shapes and forms not just an equivalent but a far superior (and cheaper) solution.
    I look at it this way, I can't even use my iPhone (as a cell phone) at work unless I step outside due to all of the concrete. I do use it extensively for notes and the like. So that is 40 + hours a week that the cell connection is useless, then you have 8 hours or so a day for sleep, the end result being the cell connection isn't a big draw for me. This especially as I prefer my iPad for mapping duties and other usages on the go.
    I have no idea what you are getting at.
    I don't think he knows either! I'd be the first to admit that the extra device might be a problem, but practically I don't need cell coverage that often, the office phone works fine for work related stuff and I'm not a big personal call maker.
    The only possible hassle is if you have a particularly nice feature phone and don't want it to share a pocket with your keys and change. (Obviously the Touch is kept in its own pocket.)

My current iPHone 4 has shared a pocket with my keys for just about ever, no problems there.