Apple hires longtime auto executive, stokes electric car rumors

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Well, they certainly have the money to get into the car business, but I don't think it's the kind of business they really need to be in. In addition, if they actually were going into the car biz, we'd see patents along those lines by now, right?
  • Reply 22 of 42
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Well, they certainly have the money to get into the car business, but I don't think it's the kind of business they really need to be in. In addition, if they actually were going into the car biz, we'd see patents along those lines by now, right?

Unlike TVs Cars have a) a shelf live, and b) obsolesence by use.   Most wealthy people turn their cars over every 2-6 years (unlike TVs that have a 10 year useful life in most living rooms). Somewhere between an iPhone and an iPad.  I don't see why apple would not want to get into this business?   

And the car is the ultimate mobile device.

The 'self driving car' at the one end, and the 'hands on driving machine at the other...  apple can stake the 'semi-autonomous vehicle' in the middle.   Most of the iPhone is licensed, it will be the UI (physical and visual) that will be the 'invention'.   Once battery technology gets up to 1.21jigawatts, then' you'll see an A99999X CPU/stepper motor

• Reply 23 of 42
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Apple can go for number or Greek alphabets. Let's say: Apple Alpha, Beta and such...

Well, I think the prospect of getting people to shell out tens of thousands for a Beta version would be a tall order!!
    ;)
  • Reply 24 of 42
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This is all nonsense. The real question is will it support offline playback of apple music???!!!

Seems doubtful apple needs to enter a new industry... let alone the auto industry. It would be the ultimate 'one last thing'. Entertainment and electronics seem like a more natural fit than where the rubber meets the road.

But where does Apple grow in the consumer gadget industry? iPhone is close to 70% of Apple's revenue. I'm not sure that's a good thing (outside of massive iPhone profits funding the R&D for the next big things). Maybe the Watch or ?TV will become a significant revenue drivers but I see those more as accessories not major drivers of growth when iPhone inevitably slows. So where else does Apple go? Virtual reality or Microsoft Hololens AR type stuff? I'm sure Apple is working on that stuff in the labs but again I don't see that being big revenue drivers.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    I don't know if I would've hired the head of quality guy from Chrysler for anything.

I was thinking that same thing. Chrysler isn't exactly known for their reliability, let alone Fiat.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    joninsdjoninsd Posts: 74member
    Oh hell, an Apple car. All the hardware will be proprietary, it'll only come with a battery big enough for 16 miles that's not upgradable, up to 128 miles for another $30,000, windshield will be made of Gorilla Glass 6 but will still crack when driving over big potholes, there will be cases available but it'll double the size of the car, it'll be fully connected to the web but they'll put the antenna somewhere stupid just for looks and it'll disconnect every time you turn left, it'll bend just behind the front seats but the "S" model will be fine. Can't wait!
  • Reply 27 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

But where does Apple grow in the consumer gadget industry? iPhone is close to 70% of Apple's revenue. I'm not sure that's a good thing (outside of massive iPhone profits funding the R&D for the next big things). Maybe the Watch or ?TV will become a significant revenue drivers but I see those more as accessories not major drivers of growth when iPhone inevitably slows. So where else does Apple go? Virtual reality or Microsoft Hololens AR type stuff? I'm sure Apple is working on that stuff in the labs but again I don't see that being big revenue drivers.

I couldn't care less about how apple grows its wealth.  Until they decide to join the fight against cancer, or any other real problem in the real world, I have no interest in seeing them increase revenue.  They have a serious amount of money, which they just sit on in order to guarantee their own survival.  But hey, at least Cook is better than Jobs at public philanthropy.

• Reply 28 of 42
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    joninsd wrote: »
    Oh hell, an Apple car. All the hardware will be proprietary, it'll only come with a battery big enough for 16 miles that's not upgradable, up to 128 miles for another $30,000, windshield will be made of Gorilla Glass 6 but will still crack when driving over big potholes, there will be cases available but it'll double the size of the car, it'll be fully connected to the web but they'll put the antenna somewhere stupid just for looks and it'll disconnect every time you turn left, it'll bend just behind the front seats but the "S" model will be fine. Can't wait!

Troll post of the day. Congrats! ????
  • Reply 29 of 42
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Oh boy, I can't wait for the serious diworseification to start.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Please make it an Auto, not a Car. I'd like to do stuff other than working a steering wheel, changing gears and paying attention to the traffic (jam).

NOTE:

A Car is driven by a human being. An Auto is a self driving vehicle. Autos clearly are the future:

• Reply 31 of 42
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JonInSD View Post

Ha! You forgot to mention Apple removing the steering wheel, gears and break pedal.

Apple working on a car/auto actually stems me hopeful. The current breed of tailpipe cars really belong in the 20th century. They are designed by a bunch of bozos. I can imagine them making car noises when drawing their juvenile cars.

• Reply 32 of 42
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

What is even more interesting here is how would Apple manage such a project in secret. Just building a plant will not go unnoticed even in China and the plant needs to be built at least a couple of years before first delivery. Further the plant really needs to be established in the USA. Beyond all of that you need to line up several dozen component and subassembly suppliers. In all likelihood we would start hearing about iCar a couple of years before the first unit comes off the production line. By hearing I mean solid information that goes beyond the current rumors.

There must be car assembly plants going for a song in Detroit right now.

• Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Nah. Apple try to move away with "i"prefix and use "Apple" more lately. Apple Car I believe and will have model name to distinguish. Tesla have Model S, X, E..., Apple can go for number or Greek alphabets. Let's say: Apple Alpha, Beta and such...

Hopefully, Samsung don't make cars...lol.

How about A-30, A-35, A-40 ?

The original has lots of nice rounded corners and Sir Jony might have seen a few growing up.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_A30
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_A35
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_A40

I learned to drive in an A-40, complete with awkward stick shift and soggy brakes.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Given than Apple's battery life in its devices is certainly not leaps and bounds ahead of everyone not sure why they think a battery car is a good thing. Unless they're really developing fuel cell tech or something far more exotic
  • Reply 35 of 42
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

If they want to sell to me it will need to be called iPickup. Oh it needs to be reasonably priced too, survive the winters in the fridge north and have some sort of range extending capability.

It should automatically change the winter and summer tiers.

It should be able to fly.

And most importantly - go 88 miles per hour and have a flux capacitor (with AppleWatch as a remote).

• Reply 36 of 42
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Nah. Apple try to move away with "i"prefix and use "Apple" more lately. Apple Car I believe and will have model name to distinguish. Tesla have Model S, X, E..., Apple can go for number or Greek alphabets. Let's say: Apple Alpha, Beta and such...

Hopefully, Samsung don't make cars...lol.

I deffinetly do not want to drive Beta model with Beta brakes and tires. ;)

• Reply 37 of 42
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    isteelers wrote: »
    I was thinking that same thing. Chrysler isn't exactly known for their reliability, let alone Fiat.

Before Tim Cook came to Apple he worked at Compaq and IBM. i can only imagine what some here would have said when Steve hired him.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    Re-inventing the car isn't as less-troublesome as it was with phones when Jobs introduced the first iPhone, where almost all the competitors were ugly looking phones! Here we are talking about about a century old companies who've excelled both in design/performance, likes of BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, not to talk about Maserati, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc.
    If Apple goes on luxury road, I'm almost sure they will fail because of the competition, and if they go for some good looking car at about $30k-50k, there already are too many great and better-known cars.
  • Reply 39 of 42

"Do people seriously still think this is all about CarPlay on steroids?"

Um, yes. But many of us have simply said a seriously enhanced and expanded Carplay will come _first_ long before we see an Apple personal transportation product. And there's a reason for that.

If you're keeping tabs on the automobile industry you'll know it's changing radically. Ownership is becoming less and less interesting to new drivers and this is causing fits within the industry:

http://www.fastcoexist.com/3027876/millennials-dont-care-about-owning-cars-and-car-makers-cant-figure-out-why

BMW, in fact, just announced that it has opened their Centre of Urban Mobility Competence, where BMW will try to figure out what the post-car ownership world will look like and how the company will adapt (read: profit from).

So, if Apple is assembling a team to build a personal transportation offering, don't expect Apple to be doing cars like they're being done today, don't expect to be able to buy one in the same way you buy a car today, and don't expect to see anything for several years.

Regardless of how Apple will build and sell, share, rent, whatever an Apple Car, it's pretty safe to assume Apple will be working its magic on Carplay in the meantime, because they want the Apple ecosystem in all manufacturers's cars, not just theirs. 

• Reply 40 of 42
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Softshellcrab View Post

Please, Do Not Build An Electric Car. There I said it.

I'd prefer to see steam power myself, but alas, that's not the way the wind is blowing.