Apple Music, App Store, iTunes & more buckle under VMA announcement traffic

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

No excuse. It's time for Apple to get it together. They need to hire and/or fire the proper people or outsource the whole thing to the big boys who have a proven track record. Maybe they should stick to churning out great hardware.

This is how RIM died. They always had good hardware, but their software was incompetent, and the whole thing fell apart when they tried to have developers use their joke of an API and tried to add things like touch, maps and desktop web browsing to a Nokia dumbphone OS.

• Reply 22 of 47
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Weren't people saying no one would care about the VMA announcement?
  • Reply 23 of 47
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Also, if Apple can't build out its servers fast enough, it should outsource. That's what everyone else does.

Not Google, Amazon or Facebook. All of them are building new data centers as fast as possible. Although Amazon does have peak data requests such as Black Friday and Prime Day, Google and Facebook probably have pretty steady network demand so it is much easier to bring additional capacity online without disruption. Apple has just released a new high demand service with Beats1 and Apple Music so a little bit of fine tuning is understandable.

• Reply 24 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Not Google, Amazon or Facebook. All of them are building new data centers as fast as possible.

Incorrect. Facebook uses Akamai for media. I just copied the URL from somebody's profile pic and I got fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net.

Facebook's data centers are because it takes a huge amount of database work to create a feed.

• Reply 25 of 47
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Incorrect. Facebook uses Akamai for media. I just copied the URL from somebody's profile pic and I got fbcdn-profile-a.akamaihd.net.

Facebook's data centers are because it takes a huge amount of database work to create a feed.

Good to know. I think Apple still uses Akamai and Azure as well.

• Reply 26 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Not Google, Amazon or Facebook. 

Amazon is one of the world's largest cloud service providers. Numerous large companies outsource to them. (Google is also getting into that business). And, as you say, Google and Facebook don't face 'peak demand' situations.

• Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

This issue has nothing to do with the Watch.  Yet you use this opportunity to bash the Watch. 

As a watch owner, I've heard from at least several people unprompted they're waiting for Watch 2. And when people ask, I've been saying there's typical Apple 1.0 bugs, like slow app loading, inconsistent UI and the sticky crown. Like it or not, Apple's got the reputation now.

• Reply 28 of 47
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    macvicta wrote: »
    And it's still down. Two hours later. They want me to pay them $9.99 a month to rent music that they can't even reliably stream? Why do this VMA crap if you don't have the wherewithal to handle the traffic?

I have a hard time believing the VMAs brought down Apple's servers. Mostly because I don't think that many people are interested in the VMAs.

Anyway I've said it before and will say it again, I think Cook needs to poach someone from Microsoft, Google or Amazon to be SVP of Cloud at Apple and take that off Eddy Cue's plate. Let him manage ?TV, ,?Pay Apple music, iTunes and give the backend stuff to someone with more experience in that area.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Quote:

There is no excuse for Apple to have these ongoing downtime issues across it's cloud products.

If Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Dropbox, Alibaba, etc. can do it then Apple should be able to do it.

No excuse. It's time for Apple to get it together. They need to hire and/or fire the proper people or outsource the whole thing to the big boys who have a proven track record. Maybe they should stick to churning out great hardware.

Software and the internet seem to be Apples achilles heal these days.

Yep, Apple is on its way out, no doubt about it, proudly failing at everything it does since 1977. Steve is dead. It’s all over but the crying. I told my financial advisor to liquidate my AAPL before this afternoon’s debacle takes place.

Suit yourself, it's your stock you can do whatever you like.

• Reply 30 of 47
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:

There is no excuse for Apple to have these ongoing downtime issues across it's cloud products.

If Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Dropbox, Alibaba, etc. can do it then Apple should be able to do it.

Software and the internet seem to be Apples achilles heal these days.

if it bothers you so much go sell your iPhone and go to Android.

I own 1000 shares of Apple and this news does not bother me one bit.

I didn't say it bothers me. I said there is no excuse.

I don't use much in the way of Apples cloud offerings so their constant inexcusable outages don't bother me a bit.

And please don't tell me what to do. Thanks.

• Reply 31 of 47
    Quote:

As a watch owner, I've heard from at least several people unprompted they're waiting for Watch 2. And when people ask, I've been saying there's typical Apple 1.0 bugs, like slow app loading, inconsistent UI and the sticky crown. Like it or not, Apple's got the reputation now.

That's just pure BS.

Apple's apps are not slow. UI is not inconsistent. The crown is not sticky.

Perhaps you should return or exchange yours.

• Reply 32 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Suit yourself, it's your stock you can do whatever you like.

Once again I forgot that damned sarcasm tag.

• Reply 33 of 47
    Quote:

That's just pure BS.

Apple's apps are not slow. UI is not inconsistent. The crown is not sticky.

Perhaps you should return or exchange yours.

I took it back and demonstrated it to the Genius. They took a week, and they just handed it back with a piece of paper that said "REFUSED REPAIR". I would give you a screenshot of it, but I just checked and the repair status webpage still thinks they have the watch, one month later.

Third party apps are slow.

Go try to delete incoming mail. In the mail app, you have to force press to delete. In a notification, you have to scroll to the bottom. Annoyingly inconsistent. There's no hint when you should force press and when you should scroll to the bottom or when you have no options. This is especially true in third-party apps. You just have to try pressing, then scrolling.

And as every reviewer has said, the stupid apps launcher is impossible to use if you have more than one "ring" of third party apps.

• Reply 34 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Now you’re just trolling for trolling’s sake. I just bought my ?Watch yesterday at the Apple Store in St. Louis (stainless steel with Milanese loop) and it flies. Sounds like you latched onto a troll meme and went with it for effect.

• Reply 35 of 47
    This has been happening way to often over the past 6 months. Every year Apple has its suppliers to build hundreds of millions of devices in order to keep up with customer demand. There is no excuse for a company with over $100 billion in cash reserves to not have the infrastructure in place to support all of these devices without a hiccup. If the servers are going down now what do they think will happen in 2 months when another 50+ million iPhones will be added to the company's network.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Now you’re just trolling for trolling’s sake. I just bought my ?Watch yesterday at the Apple Store in St. Louis (stainless steel with Milanese loop) and it flies. Sounds like you latched onto a troll meme and went with it for effect.

Come back when the novelty wears out. Also, your crown won't stick. The aluminum crown sticks.

• Reply 37 of 47
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Third party apps are slow.

Go try to delete incoming mail. In the mail app, you have to force press to delete. In a notification, you have to scroll to the bottom. Annoyingly inconsistent.

Yes, genius, third party apps have been slow. This has been well-known from Day 0, if you'd bothered to read any of the reviews. Developers did not have all they needed until WWDC to optimize their apps.

You do not have to use force press to delete -- you swipe right to left, touch the 'trash' icon, and touch trash again (it likes to make sure). Exactly similar to how it deals with trashing texts.

In all notifications, you swipe up to touch 'dismiss'. I have no idea what you mean by 'scrolling'. It is exactly consistent for all notifications.

It sounds to me like you're making up stuff, and haven't even owned the Watch.

• Reply 38 of 47
    Quote:

You do not have to use force press to delete -- you swipe right to left, touch the 'trash' icon, and touch trash again (it likes to make sure). Exactly similar to how it deals with trashing texts.

In all notifications, you swipe up to touch 'dismiss'. I have no idea what you mean by 'scrolling'. It is exactly consistent for all notifications.

It sounds to me like you're making up stuff, and haven't even owned the Watch.

Nope. You actually don't own the watch because anybody who's used it understands what I'm talking about.

When mail is OPEN you can't swipe. If it is OPEN in the MAIL APP you force press. If you want to DELETE a mail from a NOTIFICATION you scroll all the way to the bottom.

Do I need to post another video to demonstrate how wrong you are? Check your facts before accusing.

• Reply 39 of 47
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

Nope. You actually don't own the watch because anybody who's used it understands what I'm talking about.

When mail is OPEN you can't swipe. If it is OPEN in the MAIL APP you force press. If you want to DELETE a mail from a NOTIFICATION you scroll all the way to the bottom.

Do I need to post another video to demonstrate how wrong you are? Check your facts before accusing.

Um... what exactly is the 'inconsistency' you're bloviating about then? Inconsistent with what? That is simply an addition option to flag, mark as unread, or trash that you do not have to use at all. Just hit the arrow on the top left, swipe, trash. Exactly as with texts.

What was your problem with notifications, again, that you were whining about earlier? What is the inconsistency there?

• Reply 40 of 47
    Quote:

Um... what exactly is the 'inconsistency' you're bloviating about then? Inconsistent with what? That is simply an addition option to flag, mark as unread, or trash that you do not have to use at all. Just hit the arrow on the top left, swipe, trash. Exactly as with texts.

What was your problem with notifications, again, that you were whining about earlier? What is the inconsistency there?

The problem is if you don't remember how you got to the message, you choose the wrong option, either scrolling down to the bottom or force pressing. There are two ways to delete an e-mail, and you have to choose the right one. That's UI inconsistency.

The main problem is notifications don't use force press for whatever reason. The rest of the OS uses it, but not notifications. Huge inconsistency. The bottom controls make sense when your notification is three lines on an iPhone because they are always visible, but not when you're showing 20 screenfuls of e-mail on the Watch.