Apple sells 47.5M iPhones in record-breaking Q3, revenue jumps 33% to $49.6B

Comments

• Reply 41 of 187
    It's back up again after hours. Apparently 8-10% of the people owning Apple stock are scared clueless idiots that will listen to anything negative.
  • Reply 42 of 187

I told you people back when Apple started issuing dividends, that Apple will never be a high flying stock because of that. I also said at the time the smart money was going to Amazon. Guess I was right. I don't care if they invent an iSpaceship and sell a gazillion of them, this stock will trade relatively sideways until they eliminate the dividends. Mark my words!

• Reply 43 of 187
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Just bought some more..... AAPL is unlikely to see these levels for a while.

I am mildly disappointed that there were no Watch numbers, though. Just feeds the stupid market meme.

We were at this level about ten days ago. If not for the Chinese market and the Lunar New Year which is peak shopping season we would be down even worse. The China market surged 71% that isn't going to happen this quarter. Lumping in Apple Watch sales with iPod, Apple TV and Beats accessories just highlights Cooks first major launch failure. 

I sold before today, a person would have to be blind not to see this coming. I'll buy back once the carnage is over. 

• Reply 44 of 187
    atlapple wrote: »
    Cook should have just released Apple Watch numbers, his comment just made the situation worse, it's not like everyone doesn't know by now the numbers stink.

God help us if iPhone sales ever tank. 

Really? This is Tim Cook's fault?
    Apple didn't do anything wrong except succeed.
    If you are so worried about iPhone's future, divest AAPL from your portfolio, now, before it's too late.
  • Reply 45 of 187
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I told you people back when Apple started issuing dividends, that Apple will never be a high flying stock because of that. I also said at the time the smart money was going to Amazon. Guess I was right. I don't care if they invent an iSpaceship and sell a gazillion of them, this stock will trade relatively sideways until they eliminate the dividends. Mark my words!

I don't like the dividend either. Stock buybacks are fine, but the dividend does nothing for the company except create greater volatility around the quarterly reports.
  • Reply 46 of 187
    atlapple wrote: »
    Cook should have just released Apple Watch numbers, his comment just made the situation worse, it's not like everyone doesn't know by now the numbers stink.

God help us if iPhone sales ever tank. 

Sell your stock. Apple doesn't need shareholders who aren't in touch with reality ( a completely new product platform with at least 1 million in sales the first week).
  • Reply 47 of 187
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Potsie Webber View Post

Actually, you're not right. What was Apple's stock at then, and what is it now? Does that seem flat to you

• Reply 48 of 187
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Below Apple's guidance? Did Apple guide to 50-53M iPhones this quarter? Where did analysts get that guidance from? And since when is a 35% increase in sales a disappointment. I'm sure most Fortune 500 companies would love a growth rate like that.

The stock price before earnings is based on the street expectations on that moment, not on Apple guidance 3 months ago...   Normally, if a company beats, its goes higher and it is missed, it goes lower.  On Apple case, Apple needs to beat to stay flat and it needs to blow-out to go higher.  Not fair maybe, yes.

• Reply 49 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't like the dividend either. Stock buybacks are fine, but the dividend does nothing for the company except create greater volatility around the quarterly reports.

I disagree. I would prefer it the other way around. Ive never seen evidence that buybacks do anything more than a tempory stock rise.. Apple's price rises because of strong sales and profits, not buybacks.

• Reply 50 of 187
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    melgross wrote: »

I disagree. I would prefer it the other way around. Ive never seen evidence that buybacks do anything more than a tempory stock rise.. Apple's price rises because of strong sales and profits, not buybacks.

Let me also note that I'd be 100% onboard if they decided to end both the buybacks and the dividend. They don't need either. They continue to grow like a startup.
  • Reply 51 of 187
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Luca just said that well over 100% of increase in "other" revenue was due to Apple Watch.

The problem with Apple being the iPhone company is if they don't beat Wall Stree's estimates (even if they're a joke) the stock tanks.
  • Reply 52 of 187
    future manfuture man Posts: 109member

Ok, so Apple exceeds expectations on revenues and Wall Streeters say 'it's not enough or it cannot keep going up at this rate' - the stock goes down or remains level; yet when Apple merely beats its own estimates and Wall Streeters are disappointed they say, 'the company is in decline or Tim Cook & Co do not know what they are doing' - stock goes down a lot!  This is pure BS!   The SEC should plurge Wall Street and I only wish that Senator Elizabeth Warren was running for POTUS and clean-up this band of thieves and idiots!  These sepeculators are getting seven figure salaries and they know less than the average man or woman out of B-School!

• Reply 53 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The stock price before earnings is based on the street expectations on that moment, not on Apple guidance 3 months ago...   Normally, if a company beats, its goes higher and it is missed, it goes lower.  On Apple case, Apple needs to beat to stay flat and it needs to blow-out to go higher.  Not fair maybe, yes.

That's right.

It may not be fair perhaps, but it's the way it works. If a company that's losing sales and profits, and has its shares in a long, slow, decline, does less worse than expected, its stock goes up. If a company that's growing and shows good profits, with its stock on a slow long rise, grows less, and has less profits than expected, its stock goes down. Makes little sense to me, but there you have it.

• Reply 54 of 187

Well, whar about Google being a one-horse-pony advertising firm?    Sooner or later there is such a thing in advertising called 'super-saturation' in which merely increasing advertising equates with either a fllat or negative return.

• Reply 55 of 187
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 646member
    What's Apple's P/E again? (snicker!)
  • Reply 56 of 187
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    melgross wrote: »

Actually, they do. After all, stock and P/E is a result of expectations of revenue and profits going forward. Apple gives an expectation of what that will be. If it's below what's expected, then the stock will drop. Match that to expected results for the reported quarter, and there you have it.

Seriously, if this isn't understood, then people shouldn't be in the market.

Any half-way bright high schooler knows that that stock prices are "a result of expectations of revenue and profit" going forward.

Seriously, if someone thinks they have a handle on expectations based on some random news report, that's the type of person that shouldn't be in the market. But hey, as they say, it's a free country....
  • Reply 57 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Let me also note that I'd be 100% onboard if they decided to end both the buybacks and the dividend. They don't need either. They continue to grow like a startup.

I woud agree with that, theoretically. But, to tell the truth, my dividends from them are too great for me to want to give up now that I'm receiving them.

But what would they do with all that money? They would have a good $300 billion now. There are a few fairly big aquisitions i would liked for them to have made.

• Reply 58 of 187
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    herbapou wrote: »

What are those estimates based on? Wow was it decided at the last minute that 50-53M was the number to beat? These Wall Street clowns can be wrong too. For how many years have these clowns been telling us the premium smartphone market is saturated? If that's the case how can a 35% YOY be a disappointment?
  • Reply 59 of 187

Agreed, then why do Wall Streeters make so much money and why does anyone listen to them?   Wall Street is a closed, secretative club that depends on contacts, not inetlligence, for getting hired.  

• Reply 60 of 187
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Any half-way bright high schooler knows that that stock prices are "a result of expectations of revenue and profit" going forward.

Seriously, if someone thinks they have a handle on expectations based on some random news report, that's the type of person that shouldn't be in the market. But hey, as they say, it's a free country....

It's not a random news report. It's Yahoo Finance, which is read by tens of millions of people. Besides, that's just one report. Every professional trader is thinking the same thing.