Canalys estimates 4.2 million Apple Watches sold in wearable's first quarter

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Apple seriously need to investigate the colour orange, a good bold orange. It's a popular colour and I'm surprised it hasn't shown up on the watch or the 5C when it came out.

• Reply 22 of 40
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    rogifan wrote: »
    So apparently Morgan Stanley cut their 2016 ?Watch forecast from 50M to 42M. So basically those who had ridiculously high estimates are coming back down to reality.

And they say it's Apple's fault and not their baseless initial estimates.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    r2d2 wrote: »
    Others are saying they sold much less. I wonder who is correct?
     MarketWatch

Without having a clue on ASP all these estimates are just pulling numbers out of ones rear end. Ben Bajarin thinks ASP was around $400. Gene Munster says $550. Depending which one you use you get much different sales figures. And that of course involves guessing how much of "other" revenue is attributable to Watch. Luca says it was well over 100%. Again it's all guessing. To me all this ?Watch sales analysis is a bit like Donald Trump. A lot of noise, a bit of a side show really.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Apple seriously need to investigate the colour orange, a good bold orange. It's a popular colour and I'm surprised it hasn't shown up on the watch or the 5C when it came out.

I'm sad the new Touch doesn't have a nice green. The Watch and 5C have one but the iPods don't anymore.

• Reply 25 of 40
    jungmark wrote: »
    And they say it's Apple's fault and not their baseless initial estimates.

It's fascinating to me that not one analyst on Bloomberg or CNBC has questioned why analyst consensus of $47B back in April was raised to $50B+ right before earnings. All the chatter we're hearing about today is China concerns. If that's the case why were these clowns raising estimates (and Q4 guidance) right before earnings? What's the basis for it?
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post

Others are saying they sold much less. I wonder who is correct?

MarketWatch

If MarketWatch were a print publication, it would be a desperate little rag. They're fading fast as a media outlet, and wouldn't be surprised at all if Dow Jones just shut the down one of these days. They'll do anything for clicks.

They make Business Insider look smart.

• Reply 27 of 40

I'm sad the new Touch doesn't have a nice green. The Watch and 5C have one but the iPods don't anymore.

I get the feeling iPod and Watch won't be compatible. If they were Apple probably would have released colors that matches ?Watch Sport. Unless those pink and blue colors are coming to the Sport bands this fall?
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I get the feeling iPod and Watch won't be compatible. If they were Apple probably would have released colors that matches ?Watch Sport. Unless those pink and blue colors are coming to the Sport bands this fall?

Possibly. The new iPod colors hearken back to the Fifth Generation Nano, which had the most 'mature' colors of any of the iPods.

The other times Apple's colors have been pastel-ish. So I'm not sure if we'll see an improvement in the Watch and iPhone or not.

• Reply 29 of 40
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Agreed, I like green but green doesn't like me. It seems to be bad luck for me.

• Reply 30 of 40
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Be interesting to see if numbers climb due to supply meeting demand which grows or if it slacks off due to early adopters all having theirs.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    So apparently Morgan Stanley cut their 2016 ?Watch forecast from 50M to 42M. So basically those who had ridiculously high estimates are coming back down to reality.

To be fair that's for an entire year including Xmas
  • Reply 32 of 40
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    And what exactly are they basing this on? The change in "other" quarter over quarter was around $950M. If you take their sales figures at a $400 ASP that's $1.6B in revenue. At a $550 ASP its $2.3B revenues. Did iPods and Beats headphone revenues really drop that much in one quarter?

The speculation is that the beats head phone recall charge is taken from the other category
  • Reply 33 of 40
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And what exactly are they basing this on? The change in "other" quarter over quarter was around $950M. If you take their sales figures at a $400 ASP that's $1.6B in revenue. At a $550 ASP its $2.3B revenues. Did iPods and Beats headphone revenues really drop that much in one quarter?

Yes. Apple's fiscal 2015 third quarter ended June 27, 2015. This means that the launch of the massively updated iPod Touch (July 15) is not taken into account.

So, very impressive indeed as they were selling yesteryears iPods at the time.

• Reply 34 of 40
    bubffmbubffm Posts: 24member
    yes, headphone sales are zero, iPods 1bn negative sales, makes 4,2 mn watches. Perfect logic for an analyst. People WITH brain may of course do the math slightly differently....;)
  • Reply 35 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    dugbug wrote: »
    To be fair that's for an entire year including Xmas

OS Xmas?
  • Reply 36 of 40
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

I doubt it. I would bet on 1/2 of that which is ~2.1 million units. With an average of $500/unit, it's around $1 billion revenue and that's the amount increased as reported in "other category" compared to last quarter.

• Reply 37 of 40
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I doubt it. I would bet on 1/2 of that which is ~2.1 million units. With an average of $500/unit, it's around $1 billion revenue and that's the amount increased as reported in "other category" compared to last quarter.

And the CFO and tim cook said to only look at the increase would be wrong.
    They said sales of other things in that category were down and they also had the beats recall ($325 for each beats pill)
    Think its closer to 3m+ But who the heck knows. Seems like its selling well anyways..
    Going to be the hit of the holidays with all the Watch OS 2 apps...
  • Reply 38 of 40
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Assuming their numbers are accurate, who actually thinks 4.2 MM in 9 weeks is anything short of excellent?

`

I was looking at the range today and this is some of what I found.

http://fortune.com/2015/03/02/how-many-watches-will-apple-sell-in-2015-a-fortune-survey/

22.47 Million would have been the average all the predictions listed. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-how-many-apple-watches-apple-is-expected-to-sell-2015-1

Morgan Stanley was has high as 60 million in 2015 in that survey.

I'm sure expectations increases when pre-orders sold out quickly. 

Cook said they exceeded internal numbers, you can't exceed external numbers with those ranges. 

• Reply 39 of 40
    shardshard Posts: 96member
    Some people are saying that they know alot of die hard Apple fans and yet they don't own the Apple Watch.

Lets look at it from another angle. Some people I know own more than one Apple Watch, some a few because it is a fashion accessory after all and you need it to match your outfits.

They do often complain that you can't pair more than one Apple Watch with an iPhone. You need to unpair before pairing another which can be a hassle when you have multiple Apple Watches.