Canalys estimates 4.2 million Apple Watches sold in wearable's first quarter

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2015
Although Apple didn't provide official figures during Tuesday's results call, an estimate published by research firm Canalys suggests the company shipped 4.2 million Apple Watches during the June quarter.

That figure would be enough to make the Apple Watch the world's leading wearable, surpassing smartwatches and fitness trackers by companies like Fitbit and Xiaomi, Canalys said. This is despite the device starting at $349, making it more expensive than most of the competition.

The firm suggested that sales were hindered only by Apple not launching during the 2014 holidays, and by low initial shipments during April and May. Until mid-June, the only way of buying an Apple Watch was online or through a handful of luxury outlets.

The Canalys number is above some pre-call estimates, such one by Wells Fargo analyst Maynard Um, which called for just 2 million units. Wall Street consensus may have proven closer to accurate at about 4 million.

Canalys analyst Chris Jones argued that Apple and other smartwatch vendors still need to work on performance, battery life, and sensor integration to make future models successful -- and that the Apple Watch's long-term fate is tied to the quality of third-party apps.

During the results call, Apple CEO Tim Cook said mainly that the Watch had exceeded internal expectations, and sold better in June than it did in April or May, debunking reports of a massive sales slump. CFO Luca Maestri indicated that the first nine weeks of Watch sell-through topped that for the launches of the original iPhone and iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I really should ignore any and all threads containing the words "analyst" or "analysis". I want to reach through the Internet and slap the people providing their "free advice".
  • Reply 2 of 40
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    But but but it's less than the 47 MM iPhone sold this quarter. Anything short of 50 MM or 60 MM sold of any idevice is a failure. /s
  • Reply 3 of 40

"Canalys suggests the company shipped 4.2 million Apple Watches during the June quarter" - oh man, what a fail ;)

Only with Apple would some Apple-watchers suggest 4.2 mil is a fail - unbelievable.

• Reply 4 of 40
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And what exactly are they basing this on? The change in "other" quarter over quarter was around $950M. If you take their sales figures at a $400 ASP that's $1.6B in revenue. At a $550 ASP its $2.3B revenues. Did iPods and Beats headphone revenues really drop that much in one quarter?
  • Reply 5 of 40
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And what exactly are they basing this on? The change in "other" quarter over quarter was around $950M. If you take their sales figures at a $400 ASP that's $1.6B in revenue. At a $550 ASP its $2.3B revenues. Did iPods and Beats headphone revenues really drop that much in one quarter?

Just what do you get out of this huge morass of "He said. . ./She said. . ." yap, yap, gossip about all things Apple, to you contribute so abundantly?

• Reply 6 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Canalys report came out before the Apple results were released. I posted it yesterday morning in fact.
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/187289/nyt-cites-absence-of-top-ios-apps-in-search-of-apple-watch-failure#post_2750364

They had good stuff to say about Apple and their watch.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I really should ignore any and all threads containing the words "analyst" or "analysis". I want to reach through the Internet and slap the people providing their "free advice".

You really should.

• Reply 8 of 40
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Canalys report came out before the Apple results were released. I posted it yesterday morning in fact.
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/187289/nyt-cites-absence-of-top-ios-apps-in-search-of-apple-watch-failure#post_2750364

They had good stuff to say about Apple and their watch.

Ah ok. So I wonder if they'd revise them now. Though maybe Beats headphones sales are crap right now.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    "But but but many of my friends are Apple Fans, and none of them have the watch. I highly doubt that Apple has sold that many."
  • Reply 10 of 40
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Assuming their numbers are accurate, who actually thinks 4.2 MM in 9 weeks is anything short of excellent?

`
  • Reply 11 of 40
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielSW View Post

Just what do you get out of this huge morass of "He said. . ./She said. . ." yap, yap, gossip about all things Apple, to you contribute so abundantly?

Quote:

You really should.

Speaking of people who should be elsewhere...

• Reply 12 of 40
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member

"This product won't sell" 

~ Sells at least a million 

"But people are returning them" 

~ Profits from category jump 50% without major refresh in category

"But they need to justify the marketing?!" 

Seriously, with some people you never win. Even if Apple were to post numbers that blew away competition, the Watch would be a failure to them.

• Reply 13 of 40

I think I can trust what Tim Cook says in an official report to the Securities and Exchange Commission, and what I hear him say live and unadorned. I even got to perceive his tone and infections. Sure, he may have carefully chosen his words, and he was reading from a script, but I think he was being truthful.

His words are certainly more valid than most all of the blather from these AI article commenters and their incessant gossip and envious and malicious jabs at an obviously successful company and its employees which have worked as an effective team for decades to make it so.

For me, I wear my Apple Watch daily, and I love the notifications, especially from the timer and email apps. I also love the phone functions of being able to take and make calls from the phone.

The Watch is indeed the most personal product Apple has made, and I'm pleased to say that I now would be reluctant to live without it.

• Reply 14 of 40
    The real story is that Apple convinced some 4 million people since May to buy and wear a "smartwatch" every day -- itself a young concept, and a nascent market, never mind that it is also a change in our habits. It's convincing the rest of us that we need to wear a smartwatch that will take more time, but Apple's wearable adoption curve is pretty steep, all things considered.

If successful, it should also improve the market acceptance for smartwatches running other operating systems, for those who revile Apple--and you know who you are.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Assuming their numbers are accurate, who actually thinks 4.2 MM in 9 weeks is anything short of excellent?

`

Even if it's less than that (based on change in revenues Apple reported) I think it's excellent. I think it bodes well for this fall when we get new software and probably new band options/different colors. I wonder if Apple will push ?Watch Sport into places like Best Buy for the holiday season?
  • Reply 16 of 40
    r2d2r2d2 Posts: 95member

Others are saying they sold much less. I wonder who is correct?

MarketWatch

• Reply 17 of 40
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    rogifan wrote: »
    And what exactly are they basing this on?

Based on their coffee in the morning no doubt.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    solipsismy wrote: »

`

Many posters here?

:D
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Quote:

at an obviously successful company and its employees which have worked as an effective team for decades to make it so.

Now, I'm not a mathematician, but I believe Apple's solid rate of success is more or less 2001-2015(they had financial troubles in 2000). That's 14 years. So "decades" is pushing it.

• Reply 20 of 40
    So apparently Morgan Stanley cut their 2016 ?Watch forecast from 50M to 42M. So basically those who had ridiculously high estimates are coming back down to reality.