Apple releases second public betas of iOS 9, OS X 10.11 El Capitan

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
Apple on Wednesday provided members of its public beta program with new versions of both iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 El Capitan, marking the second versions of the publicly available pre-release software.

Both iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan are now available to download for members of the Apple Beta Software Program. The upcoming operating system updates are not final, and users should expect assorted bugs and issues if they install.

Signing up for Apple's public beta program is free, and can be done from the company's website.

The new public betas come just one day after Apple supplied the fourth developer betas for iOS 9 and OS X El Capitan. It's likely that Wednesday's public releases are identical.

The latest developer beta of iOS 9 reinstated Home Sharing after it had been removed from previous versions. It also features a few minor user interface adjustments, including a new way of displaying Handoff panes in the app switcher.

Also this week, Apple prevented beta testers from reviewing App Store software. Negative reviews of apps not yet updated for future versions of iOS had become an issue for developers.

Both iOS 9 and OS X 10.11 El Capitan are scheduled to become available to the general public this fall. If Apple follows its typical annual release cycle, iOS 9 will arrive in September, while El Capitan will become available on the Mac App Store in October.

The first public betas of iOS 9 and El Capitan were made available earlier this month. Apple has not done a public beta of its forthcoming watchOS 2 update for the Apple Watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31

Yay!

It's a 314MB download on my iPhone, 282 on my iPad.

• Reply 2 of 31
    Yay!

It's a 314MB download on my iPhone, 282 on my iPad.
    Great update, fixed all my problems with slowness and crashes on some apps! Good work Apple!
  • Reply 3 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevkwas View Post

Great update, fixed all my problems with slowness and crashes on some apps! Good work Apple!

CARROT Weather works again, which makes me happy indeed. It also seems to have reduced the OS footprint by 200MB, so it's now a net 200MB increase over 8. Hopefully that keeps going down, to at least a net zero increase.

• Reply 4 of 31
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    It fixed my problem of the App Store not accepting my username or password. Boy, that was frustrating. Haven't had a chance to check anything else yet.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    El Capitan is amazingly fast on my 2011 MBA.

I have never experienced such an increase in speed going from one OS to it's replacement.

Great work by the team at Apple.

EDIT#1: This version of the beta for iOS 9 appears to have fixed the wobble my iPhone 6 had while mounted in it's Apple dock. Sweet.

EDIT#2: The iOS 9 wallpaper of the coloured wave has also been updated and now includes a picture of Mick Fanning sitting on a surfboard punching a shark.
  • Reply 6 of 31
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by kevkwas View Post

Be careful. Your kind of attitude is not tolerated on AI. You need to be more critical, condemning, negative. Find something wrong and harp on it instead.

• Reply 7 of 31

Fixes so far:

Volume up key functions as a camera shutter again.

Apps seem less crashy by far.

Spotlight now renders correctly on my iPhone 6 (before, the search bar was mixed with the signal/clock/battery bar)

YouTube no longer causes the digitizer to stop responding on my iPad

Issues remaining:

Search still doesn't show up in Podcasts, the tab is there but it doesn't do anything other than show a white screen

Animation lag seems more present in this beta, though it's sporadic

Swipe navigation to move forward in Safari continues to not work, regardless of device. (I just submitted bug report #11 over it)

No comment on battery life yet. Another issue I'd had was that my devices iCloud backup size seemed to keep bloating out of control, far above what they should have been, so I've been having backup issues all week.

• Reply 8 of 31
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    How is safari on the iPad Air 2? It was useless on the previous beta with bits of web pages not loading or bits of previous pages breaking through.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    thebumthebum Posts: 58member
    The portrait mode Mail display issue on my iPad mini appears to be fixed. I'll need to try out some typing to see if there was any speed-up there; I have a 1st generation mini and I was easily typing 5 seconds ahead in the other betas.
  • Reply 10 of 31
    kolvaskolvas Posts: 22member
    Anyone have a problem with an "internal error" crash with Game Center on El Capitan beta 2?
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Is the activities on the music app working. The New tab where all activities are didn't work at all in the last beta for me.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    I really hope the maps app is fixed. Major bugs in there form the beta. Very slow to respond, Siri integration very crash prone. On thjr mac side many apps were broken. VMWare fuzio having issues, MS RDP crashes. Email crashed every 30 minutes, Atom text editor locked up Finder, Calendar app crashed a lot. Some vpn client connections were spotty using Tunnelblick, etc.

I know many of these are third party apps but I find it strange that so many things have issues

Key for Apple,

Get maps working smooth. remove that stupid effing global zoom in from maps that lags every single time it loads and make Siri faster. I need Directions NOW, not 2 minutes form now when the system finally catches up to my request.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    mrjescmrjesc Posts: 12member
    AI app is finally working on my iPhone
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Ahhhh. Updating has bricked my iPhone 6. Stuck on the Apple logo screen and can't even hard reset. Here's hoping that when it runs out of battery it will let me carry on the install.
  • Reply 15 of 31
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Ahhhh. Updating has bricked my iPhone 6. Stuck on the Apple logo screen and can't even hard reset. Here's hoping that when it runs out of battery it will let me carry on the install.

You try holding down the Home and Sleep buttons to force a power cycle?
  • Reply 16 of 31
    solipsismy wrote: »

Has he tried holding it right?
  • Reply 17 of 31
    What is everyone's opinion of El Capitan? Is it "safe" yet to use on your primary Mac or will it be too much trouble? Thanks!
  • Reply 18 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Yeah, no response. Just have to wait for the battery to drain. Not heard anyone else having the problem so obviously just me. What did I do to you Apple? Well, better start posting abusive messages and becoming a troll because of one little thing....

• Reply 19 of 31
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ecmorton View Post

What is everyone's opinion of El Capitan? Is it "safe" yet to use on your primary Mac or will it be too much trouble? Thanks!

I've been using it since the public beta and had zero problems with it. I'm just making sure all my work is stored online just in case

• Reply 20 of 31
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member

Yeah, no response. Just have to wait for the battery to drain. Not heard anyone else having the problem so obviously just me. What did I do to you Apple? Well, better start posting abusive messages and becoming a troll because of one little thing....

Those switches should trump everything else. I'd say you have both a very deep and very rare issue. I hope it works itself out.