Police shut down Chinese factory that produced $19M worth of fake iPhones

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
A major iPhone counterfeiting factory, which produced so many fake Apple devices that some even made their way to the U.S., has been shut down by Beijing police and led to nine arrests.

The factory is said to have built more than 41,000 fake iPhones valued at as much as 120 million yuan, or $19 million, according to Reuters. The arrests come as part of a crackdown on intellectual property theft being undertaken by Chinese law enforcement, as the country looks to shake its reputation for being a haven for fake goods.

The elaborate operation, run by a husband and wife team, was said to have six assembly lines and "hundreds" of workers. It relied on second-hand smartphone components that were repackaged as authentic iPhones, then exported and sold.

The Beijing factory was actually shut down as a result of a tip from U.S. authorities, who had obtained some of the knock-off iPhones on American shores.

Fake Apple Store
A fake Apple Store in China. Credit: BirdAbroad

iPhone counterfeiting is not new -- a similarly sophisticated operation in China was broken up in 2011. But that raid led to the seizure of only 200 fake iPhone units, while the latest Beijing crackdown yielded 1,400 handsets.

Apple's popularity in China has led to extremely elaborate efforts to counterfeit, including entirely fake Apple retail stores that tricked shoppers into thinking they were run by the Cupertino, Calif. company.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

So a Samsung factory, then.

• Reply 2 of 35
    darendinodarendino Posts: 126member

Ha ha, the poor people with their China knock offs!

• Reply 3 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Valued at $460 US each? Gosh, they may have made more profit from "stealing iPhone designs" than some Android licensees. :D
  • Reply 4 of 35
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    They need to shut down that Korean counterfeiting conpany.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Lol. I wonder what they had for an operating system!

Did these actually work with iOS!?
  • Reply 6 of 35
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 720member
    No one bothers to do Samsung knockoffs in China. Pity Samsung.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    quadra 610 wrote: »
    So a Samsung factory, then.

You beat me to it! LOL

A team of folks with fake money should go in and buy all their stock.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Lol. I wonder what they had for an operating system!

Did these actually work with iOS!?
    There have supposedly been other Chinese knockoffs that ran iOS, iOS7 on at least one according to news reports last year assuming it was accurate. This particular phone even had a "Touch ID" button, It did unlock the phone when touched, just not using a fingerprint to do it. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 9 of 35
    They need to shut down the factories making Samsung knockoffs.

Oh, wait...
  • Reply 10 of 35
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    Second-hand smartphone components? Sounds like iPhones made from replacement parts. Should work like a real iPhone. But how does it work with cellular providers? How could they authenticate thenOS?
  • Reply 11 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    No one bothers to do Samsung knockoffs in China. Pity Samsung.

Would hardly be worthwhile. Not like you'd get much for a Sammy knockoff. Heck Xiaomi knockoffs would probably be worth more!
  • Reply 12 of 35
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    This shows that the Chinese government values Apple more than their own companies. They did this to show any other company who is ripping Apple off to think twice. China would not shut down one of their own companies unless they saw more value elsewhere.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

This shows that the Chinese government values Apple more than their own companies. They did this to show any other company who is ripping Apple off to think twice. China would not shut down one of their own companies unless they saw more value elsewhere.

Either that or they stopped making "contributions" to the local politicians.

• Reply 14 of 35
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Either that or they stopped making "contributions" to the local politicians.

I was thinking the same thing as auxio.

My mother used to work in China as an accountant, and according to her, local officials stopped by their company regularly to demand bribes. At one point, when the company decided not to pay, they were made to jump through ridiculous bureaucratic hoops to keep from being shut down.

I think what Maestro64 says makes sense, that China sees value in Apple because of the jobs and industry it brings into the country, so it makes PR moves such as this to placate the U.S. But I also think China is not trying to shut down the five or six other neighboring knock-off factories that make more money than this mom and pop operation.

• Reply 15 of 35
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Valued at $460 US each? Gosh, they may have made more profit from "stealing iPhone designs" than some Android licensees. :D
    that's a damn lie. It doesn't cost $460 but <$200 for a fake one in China. Btw, they shut down 1 factory? What about 100 of thousands more? Counterfeit factories in China are like garbages: you can never clean it up.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

I think what Maestro64 says makes sense, that China sees value in Apple because of the jobs and industry it brings into the country...

But it’s also true that Apple really has no choice but to manufacture in China. India may be the next big cheap labor destination but that is a long way off yet. Apple will tolerate a lot of this because it has to. It’s not like Apple will up and move manufacturing somewhere else. Now if an iPhone could be manufactured in a completely automated factory things might change but I think that day is also far off. 

• Reply 17 of 35
    fallenjt wrote: »
    that's a damn lie. It doesn't cost $460 but <$200 for a fake one in China.
    What's $19M divided by the 41K the Chinese authorities say may have been sold? Just using the figures from the article, not doing my own counting. ;)
  • Reply 18 of 35
    pujones1pujones1 Posts: 222member
    rogifan wrote: »
    Would hardly be worthwhile. Not like you'd get much for a Sammy knockoff. Heck Xiaomi knockoffs would probably be worth more!

Lol!! I was thinking the same thing.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    They need to shut down the factories making Samsung knockoffs.

Oh, wait...

Those knockoffs wear the Samsung label. That's like repellent for customers with good taste.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

But it’s also true that Apple really has no choice but to manufacture in China. India may be the next big cheap labor destination but that is a long way off yet. Apple will tolerate a lot of this because it has to. It’s not like Apple will up and move manufacturing somewhere else. Now if an iPhone could be manufactured in a completely automated factory things might change but I think that day is also far off. 

I agree, manufacturing in China is a financial necessity.

If it made financial sense, I would prefer all Apple products to be manufactured here in the States like the Mac Pro. Bring the jobs, business, know-how, all back.

Or at least outsource manufacturing to a country with more respect for intellectual property rights. Without its cheap labor, China is the worst place in the world to manufacture, in my opinion. They'll destroy their own environment and take advantage of their own people to make your product, and then steal your technology and know-how to make knock-offs and run state-sponsored businesses that compete with you.

Apple may be doing well in China now, but I wonder if one day a Xiaomi-like company that targets the premium market will steal Apple's thunder in terms of their domestic market.