Apple Music hits 10M subscribers in four weeks, report says

Comments

• Reply 41 of 93
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    chasm wrote: »

sflagel: I'm not quite sure what you are talking about, but I listen to albums from Apple Music all day from the "For You" page, and though I've had issues with iTunes on my Mac, saved albums play fine for me on both the Mac and iOS devices. Haven't tried saving for offline listening, however, since I'm never offline.
    I use Apple Music as a subscription service rather than a streaming service. The problem with albums us the following: say you download a compilation of an artist that contains songs A and B. Later, you download ("make available offline") the studio album where songs A and B were originally published. When you then a few days later click on the studio album to listen to it, it will not contain sings A and B. These will only be available if you click on the compilation.
  • Reply 42 of 93
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    10 million subscribers only, I thought it would be much much higher than that for the free trial period. While then falling dramatically after the trial period is over. Not so sure now that this latest endeavor by Apple is going to be a success in any big way now.
  • Reply 43 of 93
    pepe779pepe779 Posts: 84member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

10 million subscribers only, I thought it would be much much higher than that for the free trial period. While then falling dramatically after the trial period is over. Not so sure now that this latest endeavor by Apple is going to be a success in any big way now.

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw this. There are hundreds of millions of active iOS users and the 8.4 adoption rate has already reached 40%, so 10 million Apple Music users can already be considered a fail imho, especially since it's free for the first 3 months and once the trial period is over, this number will only go down. Personally I have no issues with Apple Music and I'm pretty sure I'll keep it once my trial ends, just really surprised to see such low numbers.

• Reply 44 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

Out of 800 million iTunes users, 10 million subscribed for the free Beta.

Out of those 10 million, how many use the service - excluding their music library - regularly?

And out of those recurring users, how many are willing to subscribe for a monthly fee?

I subscribed to the service, but I am not a recurring user. I am also not willing to pay for the service.

I'm an iTunes user. I am not and more than likely never will be a subscriber to ANY music streaming service.

I guess that these are the main reasons

1) I'm what you Americans call a 'Baby boomer'. I grew up in London in the Swinging 60's. That generation moulded my taste in music.
    2) I pretty well have everything released (going back to ripped vinyl's) I want to listen too
    3) I'm a tightwad.
  • Reply 45 of 93
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    lkrupp wrote: »

The Apple discussion forums are always full of clueless people asking how to turn their Netflix, Hulu, etc, subscriptions on or off. We’ll see a flood of whining crybabies complaining they didn’t authorize Apple to renew their subscriptions. I’ll go so far as to predict a class action lawsuit claiming Apple should have made Apple Music subscription renewals after the 30 day trial period opt-in rather than opt-out. And they would have a point because people are so clueless about this sort of thing.

On the other hand I do always get an email reminding me that my Netflix subscription renewal is coming up, and I do get an email when my iTunes Match renewal is coming up.

I'm sure it was in the fine print somewhere when setting up Apple Music that you would be charged after 90 days. I do wish companies would make this opt-in rather than opt-out. Of course they don't because they're counting on people forgetting to unsubscribe. But it could be so simple. Just send an email saying the free trial is coming to an end and if you like the service and want to continue receiving it click here to turn the subscription on.
  • Reply 46 of 93
    jungmark wrote: »
    Probably the same thing that happens with almost 100%of subscription services after a free trial. You'll get charged.

I know you get charged. But does Apple send an email before the 90 days are up reminding you that you're going to get charged? Or do you just get an email saying your card was charged $9.99/$14.99? I guarantee you there are people that signed up didn't who read any fine print and Apple forums will be full of them complaining about being charged and wondering how to turn it off (as subscriptions are buried in settings).
  • Reply 47 of 93
    Agreed. Started reading his rant waiting to hear that his backup got fried or somethng, nope. NO Back Up  !@?!$#? Not even a slightly older one?  I can't take that kind of negligent laziness, as well as foolishness seriously.

Well obviously Apple did as they brought him to Cupertino to fix his problems. Btw, Jim has said multiple times now he was a dummy for not having a backup.
  • Reply 48 of 93
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    Just seen on the BBC that Amazon have started a streaming service that is free to Amazon Prime subscribers. Here starts the race to the bottom for streaming services. And the expected court cases to follow.
  • Reply 49 of 93
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I don't know how many songs you have in your collection, but I have over 10,000. I have at least two external backups. But my worst nightmare would be to have to reconstruct everything, across multiple devices.

Incidentally, if I can't trust Apple to manage Match, why should I trust any of their other storage/download/sync services, such as, say iCloud?

With that much music, you really should also take advantage of the free online storage offered by Google Music. More backups in different places is always better.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out.

The complication in my case is also the fact that three out of the four of us in the family operate off the same data (although the kids' stuff is probably no more than 1,000 songs max), abs they have their own playlists and such.
  • Reply 50 of 93

Can someone list issues with this service?  I don't use it a ton but thought it was pretty good overall.  I am hearing a lot of chatter on how bad it is and just don't see it myself...

• Reply 51 of 93
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TechProd1gy View Post

Can someone list issues with this service?  I don't use it a ton but thought it was pretty good overall.  I am hearing a lot of chatter on how bad it is and just don't see it myself...

I, too, have no significant issues with Apple Music and would welcome a concise list of known problems.

• Reply 52 of 93
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    mr o wrote: »
    Out of 800 million iTunes users, 10 million subscribed for the free Beta.

Out of those 10 million, how many use the service - excluding their music library - regularly?

And out of those recurring users, how many are willing to subscribe for a monthly fee?

I subscribed to the service, but I am not a recurring user. I am also not willing to pay for the service.

Do you also sneak into weddings so you can eat for free?

I had no plans to pay for a music subscription from the start, so I didn't bother with the free trial. It's for people who already pay for Spotify or are on the fence about subscribing.
  • Reply 53 of 93
    Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out.

The complication in my case is also the fact that three out of the four of us in the family operate off the same data (although the kids' stuff is probably no more than 1,000 songs max), abs they have their own playlists and such.

I've actually been quite satisfied with Google as far as both their online music and photos storage offerings goes.
  • Reply 54 of 93
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    The best way not to Dalrymple it is to maintain a local backup of all your content.

The update is that he got his music back. It was never deleted. It just wasn't being listed, and that was rectified.
  • Reply 55 of 93
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

I know a lot of people that just kept Spotify going even whilst giving Apple Music their full attention. I don't get this. Is stopping Spotify really that difficult that it's worth saving up to $45? I'm not the streaming music demographic (much prefer to own it), but if I was paying for one service and wanted to try another to see if it's better, I think I'd plan it around when my Spotify subscription ended so I could get the most bang for my buck.

There was a one month overlap. Why keep paying $10 a month when I know I'm sticking with Apple Music? Apple saved me twenty bucks.

• Reply 56 of 93

My reaction to Apple Music after a couple of weeks has been very similar to my reaction to the iTunes store when it first rolled out: it almost seems like it's too good to be true. One of the things that stands out about the service is the curated playlists and content that's generated by people rather than algorithms. I've already come across ALOT of artists that I missed in certain genres…despite regularly browsing those genres in iTunes with the 'Related' and 'Listeners Also Bought' features. That is a significant improvement for discovery. I also never had any of the technical difficulties or library issues that some people had, but I think that much of that (like Dalrymple) was related to users of the Match service. The update corrupted the new .itl file and it just needed to be swapped out for the prior .itl file.

Anyway, I plan on keeping the service after the trial. If you listen to a lot of music, $10 a month is really cheap for what you get.

• Reply 57 of 93
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    The update is that he got his music back. It was never deleted. It just wasn't being listed, and that was rectified.

Are you saying that is justification for him not having any local backups of his own?
  • Reply 58 of 93
    solipsismy wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »

Are you saying that is justification for him not having any local backups of his own?

Of course not. It's just not as bad as it was made out to be. Everybody ran with his initial story, but hardly anyone ran the update that all was well.
  • Reply 59 of 93
    sog35 wrote: »
    Here you go again posting negative bloggers view about Apple products.

i mean seriously do you worship these bloggers or something?  Just stop it already.  We get it.  You don't like AppleMusic.

Marco Arment is a very high profile Apple developer, not an "anti-Apple blogger". These people are critical because they care, not because they want Apple to fail.
  • Reply 60 of 93
    sog35 wrote: »
    Here you go again posting negative bloggers view about Apple products.

i mean seriously do you worship these bloggers or something?  Just stop it already.  We get it.  You don't like AppleMusic.

Marco Arment is a very high profile Apple developer, not an "anti-Apple blogger". These people are critical because they care, not because they want Apple to fail.

One barely bad lone critique of Apple a few months ago, and now he's a "anti-Apple blogger". :lol: