Apple Music hits 10M subscribers in four weeks, report says

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 93
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mj web wrote: »
    I do find it curious Apple is gung ho to trumpet Music stats but stone cold silent on Watch sales.

Because Apple announced in the Fall that no numbers would be released for the Apple watch.

In addition, did Apple indicate the number of subscribers or is this a third party?
  • Reply 82 of 93
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    As my professor used to say "an expert is a person that's done something before you have". We as tech savvy people might skip a step thinking it's not needed only to be proven wrong especially if we would've advised someone else to take that step. And if something should go wrong we're usually able to resolve it. Familiarity does breed contempt.

Marco erred like we all do. He simply thought 'what could go wrong'? Entire civilizations have been wiped out because they thought that way. He only almost lost some music.

This isn't a simple slip up — like referring to Jim as Marco — but something fundamental to the core that shows he doesn't deserve any title of expert. When you are a sing language interpreter and use the wrong sign once by mistake that's a simple err, but when you fake sign language at the Nelson Mandela's memorial service you're not an expert who made a simple, momentary error… you're something much worse: a fraud.

Ooops. Marco was being discussed earlier, and his name came to me first. We're all frauds at one time or another. I actually commend Jim for admitting the mistakes he made, and that he erroneously blamed Apple.

If we're going to hold experts to a standard of being infallible then no experts exist.
  • Reply 83 of 93
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Ooops. Marco was being discussed earlier, and his name came to me first. We're all frauds at one time or another. I actually commend Jim for admitting the mistakes he made, and that he erroneously blamed Apple.

If we're going to hold experts to a standard of being infallible then no experts exist.

Enough with the hyperbole! No one said he had to be infallible and swapping out a name for another once doesn't make you a fraud.

You can't put all mistakes into the same "Oopsie" category. Here are some examples...

Imagine a surgeon that makes a 1.5" long incision when he should have only made a 1". That's a mistake, but forgetting to wash your hands before surgery isn't just the same thing. It just doesn't happen, and someone in Dalrymple shouldn't be considered an expert if they make that sort of mistake. Or how about a priest that quotes from Bible but says the wrong passage. That's a mistake, but molesting children is not the same thing.
  • Reply 84 of 93

Enough with the hyperbole! No one said he had to be infallible and swapping out a name for another once doesn't make you a fraud.

You can't put all mistakes into the same "Oopsie" category. Here are some examples...

Imagine a surgeon that makes a 1.5" long incision when he should have only made a 1". That's a mistake, but forgetting to wash your hands before surgery isn't just the same thing. It just doesn't happen, and someone in Dalrymple shouldn't be considered an expert if they make that sort of mistake. Or how about a priest that quotes from Bible but says the wrong passage. That's a mistake, but molesting children is not the same thing.

Surgeons make mistakes all the time. They now take a Sharpie and label the body part to be operated on because organs and limbs were being removed that were perfectly fine.

At this point let's agree to disagree. You have your opinion, and I have mine.
  • Reply 85 of 93
    Surgeons make mistakes all the time. They now take a Sharpie and label the body part to be operated on because organs and limbs were being removed that were perfectly fine.

Now you're just making my point for me. So you're saying that these "experts" have adopted these proactive best practices techniques based on a historic events in order to help make sure that they won't make the same mistake, and yet you're arguing that Dalrymple would have never heard of this proactive "back up thingy" despite the profession he's chosen and been in for decades?

Look, I have no problem with you listening to this guy just as I have no problem with you getting a vasectomy by some guy in a van in an alley. Your choice. But don't try to call these people "experts" when they make mistakes that should have never happened in the first place if they had actually been knowledgable and experienced.
  • Reply 86 of 93

Now you're just making my point for me. So you're saying that these "experts" have adopted these proactive best practices techniques based on a historic events in order to help make sure that they won't make the same mistake, and yet you're arguing that Dalrymple would have never heard of this proactive "back up thingy" despite the profession he's chosen and been in for decades?

Look, I have no problem with you listening to this guy just as I have no problem with you getting a vasectomy by some guy in a van in an alley. Your choice. But don't try to call these people "experts" when they make mistakes that should have never happened in the first place if they had actually been knowledgable and experienced.

There are people that die doing things they've done safely for years. I'm sure Jim knows how to back things up and has the means to do so within arms' reach. Jim has probably done countless backups, and the one time he didn't is when Murphy's Law decided to kick in. God is definitely Jewish because he's quite the comedian. :lol:
  • Reply 87 of 93
    There are people that die doing things they've done safely for years. I'm sure Jim knows how to back things up and has the means to do so within arms' reach. Jim has probably done countless backups, and the one time he didn't is when Murphy's Law decided to kick in. God is definitely Jewish because he's quite the comedian. :lol:

1) This is really going over your head, isn't it? This isn't about a momentarily lapse in judgement it's about some far deeper. It's not an issue about him not having his back up with him, or forgetting to backup for the past day, or even accidentally wiping a backup before Apple Music making it seem like his music was gone. There is no perfect storm in which you can claim some larger, feasible yet highly unlikely chain of events that will indemnify him. ThisThis is purely about negligent behaviour from someone whose opinion you should not consider to be valid as an expert.

2) Why da **** would think it's about "knowing how to back something up"? It's about being intelligent enough to plan for the most rudimentary contingency, which is something everyone in this field should be doing. Even my mother has a 2.5" 500GB USB connected HDD attached to the back of her iMac. Did she do this? No, I did. I bought it and sent it to her many years ago because I wanted to make sure that there would be a back up in case her iMac happened to break. I don't have tape backups, off sight backups, nor have I placed that 2.5" HDD into some locked closet safe that will unlikely be part of home invasion, but that's because those other things, while possible, are much more unlikely than an accidental deletion of a drive failure.
  • Reply 88 of 93

I have mixed feelings on Apple Music. I had high hopes going into it. But some of the UI things annoy me-- and I do find aspects of it confusing.

Beyond that, I like Beats 1 and some of the curated playlists. But the search isn't as easy as Spotify, and I haven't discovered as much as I would've hoped. Plus, iTunes now on both Windows and my Macbook (I'm stuck on a PC at work), is terribly laggy and slow and just a PITA to navigate.

Not sure what I'll do after the free trial is over, as of now, Spotify is still very much in the running.

• Reply 89 of 93
    xserenityx wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings on Apple Music. I had high hopes going into it. But some of the UI things annoy me-- and I do find aspects of it confusing.

Beyond that, I like Beats 1 and some of the curated playlists. But the search isn't as easy as Spotify, and I haven't discovered as much as I would've hoped. Plus, iTunes now on both Windows and my Macbook (I'm stuck on a PC at work), is terribly laggy and slow and just a PITA to navigate.

Not sure what I'll do after the free trial is over, as of now, Spotify is still very much in the running.

What specifically is annoying or confusing? What about it is good or exceptional?

I have yet to start my free trial and until such time as something piques my interest I don't think I'll use it.
  • Reply 90 of 93
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Agreed. Started reading his rant waiting to hear that his backup got fried or somethng, nope. NO Back Up  !@?!$#? Not even a slightly older one?  I can't take that kind of negligent laziness, as well as foolishness seriously.

To be fair. He backed up to apple music.
    sflagel wrote: »
    I use Apple Music as a subscription service rather than a streaming service. The problem with albums us the following: say you download a compilation of an artist that contains songs A and B. Later, you download ("make available offline") the studio album where songs A and B were originally published. When you then a few days later click on the studio album to listen to it, it will not contain sings A and B. These will only be available if you click on the compilation.

The amount of bullshit angst about this minor bug ( or feature) out there is beyond belief. Obviously they are trying to avoid duplication. It's probably a bug though, albeit a minor one, because you can have one track in multiple playlists, that should also apply to albums.
  • Reply 91 of 93
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Personally I love it. Curation is top notch. For you is excellent. Beats is good. Downloading albums etc all just works. Seeding radio is great. Don't care about social.

And most people I know who use it love it. Twitter seems impressed too.

If people with 10'000 songs don't like it it doesn't matter. I don't think you guys need discoverability.
  • Reply 92 of 93
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    asdasd wrote: »
    To be fair. He backed up to apple music.
    The amount of bullshit angst about this minor bug ( or feature) out there is beyond belief. Obviously they are trying to avoid duplication. It's probably a bug though, albeit a minor one, because you can have one track in multiple playlists, that should also apply to albums.

I found it; there is a button /text "show whole album" that needs to be clicked. Minor bug? Maybe. By design? Maybe. Annoying UX? Definitely.