Windows 10 launches to favorable reviews, cautions about bugs and feature gaps

Comments

• Reply 81 of 105
    bobborriesbobborries Posts: 151member

?

• Reply 82 of 105
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Windows 10 launches to favorable reviews 

My Radeon 4870 is fried. I now need to buy a new graphics card. This is Windows 10’s fault.

-100/100; would not recommend.

• Reply 83 of 105
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 109member
    Windows 10 sounded not so bad until i read this article

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/31/windows-10-microsoft-faces-criticism-over-privacy-default-settings

I mean, unskippable video ads ... And worse - here's a taste from the article

"When the OS is installed, Microsoft assigns the user a unique advertising ID, which it ties to the email address registered with the company"

"Microsoft is able to personalise ads to the user, during both web surfing and, for newer apps downloaded from the Windows Store, app usage. Microsoft itself is leading the way on that front, even turning the in-built version of Solitaire (the card game that has been a staple of Windows installations since 1990’s Windows 3.0) into a freemium game, complete with unskippable video adverts."

Opting out apparently involves 13 different settings screens and an external website. Nice.
  • Reply 84 of 105
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    I just wanted add that it's very advantages to install Windows 10 by scratch, completely removing the previous versions. I noticed a extremely large speed increase and a less buggynest, if such a word exists. I think most of the problems people are having is due to the presence of old drivers, useless manufacturers applications, data fragmentation and basically just to much crap installed.
  • Reply 85 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cjcoops View Post

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/31/windows-10-microsoft-faces-criticism-over-privacy-default-settings

"When the OS is installed, Microsoft assigns the user a unique advertising ID, which it ties to the email address registered with the company"

"Microsoft is able to personalise ads to the user, during both web surfing and, for newer apps downloaded from the Windows Store, app usage. Microsoft itself is leading the way on that front, even turning the in-built version of Solitaire (the card game that has been a staple of Windows installations since 1990’s Windows 3.0) into a freemium game, complete with unskippable video adverts."

Opting out apparently involves 13 different settings screens and an external website. Nice.

I love how all the apologists are out in force insisting, "companies have been doing that for years, nothing new here, move along..." or "you can 'easily' turn off all those settings, stop whining". Both are merely blind support for either violations of your privacy or blind support for the corporate overlords who do this shit and they support any of their decisions. If all those apologists really believe that this isn't a violation of privacy and they have no problems with it, why not force these companies to switch all those "features" to an "opt-in" instead of forcing us to "opt-out," and then let's see how many people support their little, "no one cares about losing your privacy" crap they're all spewing. I'd love to see how many people actually take time to go through all their settings and the registry to turn on all those privacy violations. We'll of course demand the apologists all turn them on first, then let's start counting how many others "opt-in."

Opt-in, not opt-out. My privacy isn't something others get to turn on and off, only I get to do that.

• Reply 86 of 105
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    relic wrote: »
    I just wanted add that it's very advantages to install Windows 10 by scratch, completely removing the previous versions. I noticed a extremely large speed increase and a less buggynest, if such a word exists. I think most of the problems people are having is due to the presence of old drivers, useless manufacturers applications, data fragmentation and basically just to much crap installed.

Isn't the free version only for people with a license? Will it therefore ask for a license code from W8 or W7?

Edit. Ironic experience here, trying to post on an Apple-centric site, which is an excruciating thing to try, with only 5 lines visible on an iPhone
  • Reply 87 of 105
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

I love how all the apologists are out in force insisting, "companies have been doing that for years, nothing new here, move along..." or "you can 'easily' turn off all those settings, stop whining". Both are merely blind support for either violations of your privacy or blind support for the corporate overlords who do this shit and they support any of their decisions. If all those apologists really believe that this isn't a violation of privacy and they have no problems with it, why not force these companies to switch all those "features" to an "opt-in" instead of forcing us to "opt-out," and then let's see how many people support their little, "no one cares about losing your privacy" crap they're all spewing. I'd love to see how many people actually take time to go through all their settings and the registry to turn on all those privacy violations. We'll of course demand the apologists all turn them on first, then let's start counting how many others "opt-in."

Opt-in, not opt-out. My privacy isn't something others get to turn on and off, only I get to do that.
    All good points but it ain't gonna happen. EVERY tech with ad programs, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo etc, uses opt-in ad targeting as the default instead of opt-out. Why? Because they're in business to make money. Most users will never change settings so the default is darn important.
  • Reply 88 of 105
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

All good points but it ain't gonna happen. EVERY tech with ad programs, Google, Apple, Microsoft, Yahoo etc, uses opt-in ad targeting as the default instead of opt-out. Why? Because they're in business to make money. Most users will never change settings so the default is darn important.

Yep, that's their deal, most users will never change this, yet to support this policy is ludicrous. Manipulating users (by default) supported through ignorance or laziness, what upstanding citizens all these corporations (as people). One of the comments in the Guardian article (linked earlier) a user said he spent 3 hours going through settings and the registry to turn off all the shit, while at the same time describing the process as "easy." Can you imagine people spending 3 hours to "opt-in" to these services if the default were different, how "easy" that would be, eh?!

I know Apple isn't perfect, that's nothing over which I delude myself, but I do believe they have adopted a much more pro-privacy stance, which they are touting lately, and that appeals very much to me (the stance plus the touting - only by touting it will others begin to question their own corporate choices and demand the same from them). I always find that Apple's "cost" to me is much more honest, they don't hide or obscure it as companies like Google, Amazon and now Microsoft do. I pay upfront for Apple products, and that's it. With Google, you pay with your privacy and they monetise all your activities. With Amazon, the products are sold at or near cost to them (meaning zero profit upon sale), and any profit they get is from sales in their store, which they lead you to in order to buy content (their products are mere fronts for their store). With Microsoft now, their "free" OS is funded a la Google-style. None of those ways of getting at the money in my wallet seem to me to be very honest, in fact I'd say as a person (which corporations are these days), I'd say those people have little to no integrity, always working sly ways to get you to hand over cash in your wallet to them without your ever realising that you're doing it. I don't mind paying for products, but I do mind if a company is going to be dishonest about it.

• Reply 89 of 105
    cjcoopscjcoops Posts: 109member
    Maybe there'll be an xbox 360 style rollback of the more egregious privacy issues... The media has only just started t get warmed up to what Microsoft is up to.

Here's another newspaper report

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/windows-10-spying-how-to-opt-out-of-microsofts-intrusive-terms-of-use-10432300.html

Astonishingly it also claims it's 'failrly easy' to opt out... And here's a heartwarming excerpt from the terms of use b@llocks

"One excerpt worryingly tells users that "we will access, disclose and preserve personal data", including the contents of emails or files in private folders.

They add that they will do this when they need to comply with law enforcement, prevent spam, maintain the security of their networks, or protect their rights or property."

Yup, files in private folders included...

The remarkable thing here is that they apparently thought they could get away with this. That noone would notice.

An apparently decent techincal effort in righting the Microsoft Windows ship completely torpedoed by inept and arrogant management decisions regsrding privacy and that if Google can get away with it then why not join them.
  • Reply 90 of 105
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    gumbi wrote: »
    ?
    That is true.  The reality is that MS's business model hasn't changed.  They are:

1) Still charging PC OEM's for Windows licenses
    2) They are still charging consumers for version upgrades
    3) They are still charging for the retail copies of the OS

However, on this release they are allowing windows 7 and 8 users to upgrade for free - as long as it is done in the first year of Windows 10 availability.  After that, you pay.

The reason MS is doing this is to meet their goal of getting Windows 10 on 1B device's within the next 2 - 3 years.  In other words, they are taking a loss of revenue  to obtain that goal.  This probably does not equate to a huge amount really - since, not many people pay for upgrades anyway, they only get a new version of windows when they get a new PC. 

The reason they want to hit that number is to make the Windows Store a more attractive proposition for developers.  Remember, that's 1B devices - not just PC's.  Devices include Xbox One, Band, Phones, tablets, 2-in-1's, and Hololens. Not to mention Windows 10 IoT.  Hence the universal app platform.  If a developer writes an application targeting windows 10, it's very minimal work to include support for all of the other device types.  And to make it even sweeter - they are releasing tools that make it fairly simple to port IOS applications to windows universal apps. 

None of this might work - but, it seems like a reasonable strategy to me.

Yep... their goal is 1 billion W10 devices in 3 years. 14 million W10 in first day of (limited) availability is definitely encouraging, but it doesn't mean much. They can achieve their goal in 6 months or the trend can dry out in two days. It will be interesting to observe, that's for sure.
  • Reply 91 of 105
    My Radeon 4870 is fried. I now need to buy a new graphics card. This is Windows 10’s fault.

-100/100; would not recommend.

7th anniversary of Radeon 4870. Oooh, that's so sad. But they did you a favor. Upgrade was well overdue. :D
  • Reply 92 of 105
    cjcoops wrote: »

Ooh that's not good. This isn't either:

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to”, for example, “protect their customers” or “enforce the terms governing the use of the services”.
  • Reply 93 of 105
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

7th anniversary of Radeon 4870. Oooh, that's so sad. But they did you a favor. Upgrade was well overdue. image

Yeah, but to what? This is a Mac Pro we’re talking about; I don’t exactly have my pick of the litter.

• Reply 94 of 105

Yeah, but to what? This is a Mac Pro we’re talking about; I don’t exactly have my pick of the litter.

Didn't realise that. Tough luck, man. Not that I'd believe OS can kill your GPU, but tough luck nevertheless.
  • Reply 95 of 105
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

Didn't realise that. Tough luck, man. Not that I'd believe OS can kill your GPU, but tough luck nevertheless.

It could change the timing on my fans or the clock speed of the chip, couldn’t it?

• Reply 96 of 105
    philboogie wrote: »

Isn't the free version only for people with a license? Will it therefore ask for a license code from W8 or W7?

Edit. Ironic experience here, trying to post on an Apple-centric site, which is an excruciating thing to try, with only 5 lines visible on an iPhone

You can use a registry tool that will recover the Windows Key, there's about 20 such applications floating around so it shouldn't be to hard to locate one, free. Do you have an older iPhone? I know people don't want to hear this but it's one of my BlackBerry Passports super powers. Posting in forums has got to be one the most pleasant experiences possible. I see the entire comment box with control widgets. Actually, surfing in general is fantastic. I can even type up a post, from forums that don't have a drafting feature, not click submit and be able to come back to it at my leisure, sometimes even the next day, the power of 3GB of memory.
  • Reply 97 of 105
    ascii wrote: »
    I installed it yesterday. The new Edge browser is noticeably faster than IE. The Mission Control thing works quite well. It's nice to not have ads in the Weather app any more like Windows 8 did. The Windows app store and music and video stores are all integrated in to a single app now just called the Store, same as iTunes on the Mac has them all together.

The worse thing about it is that the tablet-face and the desktop-face are both there side-by-side, for example there is Control Panel for the desktop and a Settings App for the tablet side, and there's a lot of overlap between them, and for the end user it's not obvious why there's 2 or which one to use. Having a single OS for all form factors might sound good on paper, but Apple's approach of having a separate mobile OS and desktop OS is definitely less confusing for the end user. In my opinion the thing you want to reuse is code, and developers can do that behind the scenes with libraries. Reusing distros is a minor thing compared to that, and not worth it if is lessens the user experience.

I'm not really sure what your talking about with the settings panel, their identical on both the desktop and tablet UI's. While your in either UI's slide your finger from left to right in a flicking motion, starting from the left side of the screen, where the Charms used to be. To bring up the the Action Center using a keyboard command, Windows key + A or just click on the Notifications icon found in the System Tray, bottom right hand side of the screen. I think what your doing is accessing the main Action Center or the legacy one when your on the desktop side, like you would in Windows 7. You no longer have to use it.
  • Reply 98 of 105
    philboogie wrote: »

You can use a registry tool that will recover the Windows Key, there's about 20 such applications floating around so it shouldn't be to hard to locate one, free. Do you have an older iPhone? I know people don't want to hear this but it's one of my BlackBerry Passports super powers. Posting in forums has got to be one the most pleasant experiences possible. I see the entire comment box with control widgets. Actually, surfing in general is fantastic. I can even type up a post, from forums that don't have a drafting feature, not click submit and be able to come back to it at my leisure, sometimes even the next day, the power of 3GB of memory.

That's a top tip, tnx.

Yeah, using my iPhone6 when posting that. It sucks; the larger phone display doesn't enhance anything as the site isn't optimised for it. Still get only 5 lines of text. I'm sure the Passport is better at this. How many lines of text does it display on your BB PP phone Relic?
  • Reply 99 of 105
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Mozilla ain't happy about the default Win10 settings either.

"Mozilla CEO Chris Beard has blasted Microsoft in a pair of posts to the organization's blog, arguing that Windows 10's default browser settings are a "dramatic step backwards" for respecting user choice. When people update their devices to Microsoft's new operating system, their default browsers are automatically changed to Microsoft Edge, the successor to Internet Explorer that's included with Windows 10. People who had a different default browser then have to go into Windows 10's settings menu and change the default from there.

In an open letter to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, Beard said that's no good, since doing so from Firefox requires three or four mouse clicks (roughly twice as many as before) and scrolling to the bottom of a seven-item list. In a blog post accompanying the letter, the Mozilla CEO said it was "bewildering" that Microsoft made that choice, especially after the company's antitrust troubles."
    http://www.networkworld.com/article/2955453/microsoft-subnet/mozilla-ceo-blasts-microsoft-over-windows-10-defaults.html

He must really hate iOS than. His comments are ridiculous, after updating from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, I started Firefox to see if all of my settings were still there, the first thing it asked me was if I wanted to make Firefox the default browser. Even if it didn't do this, how hard is it for someone to open up the Action Center, type defaults in the search box, click on Firefox, make default. He's nagging because Windows 10 made Edge the temporary default, which is absolutely fine, this is Microsoft's OS, note FireFox's, it's not like they took a que from iOS and didn't allow people to change the default browser all together. Just an absolutely ridiculous comment, I don't here the developers of other browsers complaining. By the way Chrome is really cool in Windows 10 when you switch the UI over to tablet mode, it becomes an OS in an OS, looks and operates like a ChromeBook, so cool.
  • Reply 100 of 105
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I'm not really sure what your talking about with the settings panel, their identical on both the desktop and tablet UI's. While your in either UI's slide your finger from left to right in a flicking motion, starting from the left side of the screen, where the Charms used to be. To bring up the the Action Center using a keyboard command, Windows key + A or just click on the Notifications icon found in the System Tray, bottom right hand side of the screen. I think what your doing is accessing the main Action Center or the legacy one when your on the desktop side, like you would in Windows 7. You no longer have to use it.

I'm talking about the fact that they have both Control Panel and Settings, and overlapping functionality between them, instead of just one place to go for OS settings (like Apple).