New Apple TV rumored to debut in September with touchpad remote, dedicated app store, Siri support

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) I am hoping that a modern BT remote can connect fast enough after sleep mode or is power efficient enough to not need to ever lose a connection.

Well since it is rumored that it will serve as a HomeKit hub, it probably has the same 3072 bit encryption and might have similar lag issues reported by ElGato with their BT device, but hopefully Apple gets that sorted out and once it is paired, it will connect quickly. 

• Reply 22 of 74
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I really hope this comes with the per-user UI that will alter the content shown based on which family member is in control of the remote.
    1) I am hoping that a modern BT remote can connect fast enough after sleep mode or is power efficient enough to not need to ever lose a connection.

2) I'd like to see an induction charger set up for the remote. Perhaps built into the top of the Apple TV but also with a discreet cradle option that can be plugged further away from your TV.

I've been using a BT remote with my PS3 since 2009. Never had any connection lag with it, so it's possible.
  • Reply 23 of 74
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Still a "hobby"...

• Reply 24 of 74
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

"BuzzFeed"...LOL! As believable as Shaw Wu or DigiTimes.

• Reply 25 of 74
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member

....or that well-connected analyst.. what's his name?:lol:
  • Reply 26 of 74
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member

A new remote? It's about damn time. The current Apple TV remote is awful. 

• Reply 27 of 74
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

....or that well-connected analyst.. what's his name?image

Ho-Chi-Ming

• Reply 28 of 74
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,133member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

If it comes with a control pad, it is probably using BT not infrared. If it doesn't need line of sight and if it is thin enough, perhaps you could velcro it to the back of the set completely out of view.

Agreed. But don't forget - many people might already have a great BT remote: their Apple Watch.

• Reply 29 of 74

I guess the next Apple TV will remain HD only, no 4K, airplay is still not always 100% in terms of connectivity on 1024 resolution, even with apple routers. I do hope it has 4K support though.

• Reply 30 of 74
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Ill believe it when it's announced. This thing has been rumoured so many times.
  • Reply 31 of 74
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Why does it need to be thinner? It'd be nice if the things had some heft to them to keep them on entertainment centers and the like.

velcro

• Reply 32 of 74
    Samsung will start building the equivalent into their flat screen TVs which will be the default device requiring the user to watch a demo of the Samsung alternative before being offered a menu to chose the ATV... every damn time you turn on the Samsung TV... It's gonna be a dirty fight.
  • Reply 33 of 74
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I'm going to predict 'meh' on this one. Not because of the hardware--I'm sure it'll be wonderful, and "just work"--but because of the restrictions on the content it'll have access to. 

No need to go into specifics, but I doubt the phrase "You can watch whatever you find. It just works," will not be used during its unveiling. 

"Well, you'll need to log into your Netflix account. For Hulu, you'll need to authenticate. For EXISTING Comcast subscribers..." 

Stratified into oblivion. 

Double Negative.

I agree the devil will be in the content agreements, but I'm thinking and hoping that unified authentication, payment, and search will be part of the new API, and you're not on the new AppleTV without it.

• Reply 34 of 74
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,408member
    I guess the next Apple TV will remain HD only, no 4K, airplay is still not always 100% in terms of connectivity on 1024 resolution, even with apple routers. I do hope it has 4K support though.

Is there a lot of 4K programming available?
  • Reply 35 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Is there a lot of 4K programming available?

Some on Netflix etc, getting to be more. If you ever ‘surf’ together with someone using your iPad for example, it would be nice if the resolution on the big display was better.

I review circuits and designs at work with iPads and a big TV, it would be awesome if airplay was 4K for that.
  • Reply 36 of 74
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

....or that well-connected analyst.. what's his name?:lol:

Ino Nada, I believe is it.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    velcro

I don't feel that going to a crafts store to buy Velco is anything more than a Band-Aid solution (and I need an Aspirin just thinking about it)*.

* OK, that second part was forced, but I really wanted to include a third name brand that's been genericized.

eightzero wrote: »
    Agreed. But don't forget - many people might already have a great BT remote: their Apple Watch.

The Apple Watch will work in a pinch, but it is not a GREAT Bluetooth remote by any stretch of my imagination. I want a remote that is a remote as soon as I touch it. I don't want to have to hunt though a list to find the Remote app before I can start using it. That's why I can't stand using the Remote app on iOS either.
  • Reply 38 of 74
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I don't feel that going to a crafts store to buy Velco is anything more than a Band-Aid solution (and I need an Aspirin just thinking about it)*.

* OK, that second part was forced, but I really wanted to include a third name brand that's been genericized.

Roku makes a TV mount that the Apple TV can probably fit nicely in.

Edit: there's one for the ATV.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    mstone wrote: »

If it comes with a control pad, it is probably using BT not infrared. If it doesn't need line of sight and if it is thin enough, perhaps you could velcro it to the back of the set completely out of view.

I already Velcro the Apple tv 3's I have to the back of my tv's and they work just fine hidden out of the way.
  • Reply 40 of 74
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

How about a search of the iTunes library?